Thursday, June 4, 2015

Wenatchee Expansion Fee, Cobourg Awarded 2017 RBC Cup, Cents Sign 16-Year-Olds Regush and Wickman:

With the Wenatchee Wild being an expansion team in the BCHL for 2015-16, there's no doubt a fee for joining the league was necessary to be paid. What we didn't know was what the ballpark figure would be. However, according to Vernon Morning Star reporter Kevin Mitchell, the Wild paid a $1.2 million expansion fee to join the BCHL. If that money is divvied among the remaining 16 teams, it means each club will receive $75,000. Mitchell's article is here.

---

The 2017 RBC Cup National Junior A Championship tournament has been awarded to the Ontario Junior Hockey League's Cobourg Cougars. The tournament is scheduled for May 13 - 21, 2017 at the Cobourg Community Centre,

“With our organization about to celebrate its 50th year of consecutive operations as a proud member of the OJHL and the Ontario Hockey Association, we are very pleased to have been selected to host the 2017 RBC Cup right here in Cobourg,” said Cougars general manager Brent Tully in a release. ‎”We have been working hard toward this goal for the past several years and have great confidence this will not only showcase the great communities within Northumberland County, but will create a new standard of success for the hosting of events of this magnitude in the future."

2017 is the first time since 2008 in Cornwall that the tournament will be held in Ontario. Next year's RBC Cup is set for Lloydminster, Saskatchewan.

The Merritt Centennials announced the signing of 16-year-old forward Michael Regush and 16-year-old defenseman Tyler Wickman. Both players spent 2014-15 in the Canadian Sport Schools Hockey League. Regush, who's from Surrey, BC, had 33 points (17 goals, 16 assists) in 28 games with the Delta Hockey Academy Prep team. He got into three games with Langley as an affiliate player, but didn't get on the scoreboard. Wickman, from Abbotsford, BC, went pointless in six games with the Centennials as an AP. He did have 20 points (three goals, 17 assists) in 27 games with the Yale Hockey Academy Prep team.

Former defenseman Lennie Rampone (Quesnel, Vernon, 1996-99) is one of the new assistant coaches for the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League's Kelowna Chiefs. The 36-year-old led Vernon to the 1999 RBC Cup as its captain. Rampone then went on to play college hockey with St. Norbert College. Since finishing his playing career, he has coached in both Kelowna and Calgary.