Sunday, May 31, 2015

BCHL Player Signing Opens June 1st, Wenatchee Media Conference Tomorrow, Dillon Joins Oil Kings, PJHL Seeking a Vice-President:

As of tomorrow, June 1st, teams under Hockey Canada's umbrella (including BCHL clubs) can officially sign players for the 2015-16 season. All of the player commitments or trades that teams have announced to this point aren't really official until the players involved sign a Hockey Canada Player Registration Certificate - which they can do as of June 1st. I'd expect we'll see details on trades made official, and Penticton Vees play-by-play man Fraser Rodgers sent out this cryptic Tweet early Sunday:
Whether the announcement is specific to the Vees or the BCHL overall, we'll have to wait and see. Last year saw seven trades announced on the BCHL site within the first three days of June.

---

The Canadian Junior Hockey League and Hockey Canada both held their spring meetings over the weekend, we should see news from both of them tomorrow. I'll recap anything significant in this space tomorrow night.

---

As mentioned previously here on the blog, the Wenatchee Wild have a news conference scheduled for tomorrow at 3 pm at the Toyota Town Centre in Wenatchee. At the news conference, the Wild will announce their transfer from the North American Hockey League to the BC Hockey League. More on this story tomorrow as well.

Goaltender Alec Dillon (Victoria, 2013-14) will forgo a scholarship to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and instead join the Edmonton Oil Kings of the WHL in 2015-16. The 19-year-old from Nanaimo, BC spent 2014-15 with the Tri-City Storm, finishing with the best goals-against-average in the USHL along with being named to the league's All-Rookie Team and Second All-Star Team. According to Mario Annicchiarico of the Victoria Times-Colonist, Dillon was talked into joining Edmonton by Oil Kings GM Randy Hansch. Annicchiarico's story is here.

The Pacific Junior Hockey League is looking to hire a Vice-President to work alongside Ray Stonehouse and Bob Orr. In a posting on its website, the league states the qualifications for the position are a working knowledge of Hockey Canada rules and regulations, knowledge of BC Hockey rules and regulations, computer skills and communication skills. If you're interested in applying, contact Chairman of the PJHL Steering Committee Doug Paterson at dpatt@shaw.ca.