Saturday, March 21, 2015

Vees Force Game Seven vs. Vipers, Spruce Kings Coach Steps Down, VIJHL Sniper Commits to PR, Former Bulldog Signs in TO:

SECOND ROUND DIVISION FINAL MATCH-UPS
INTERIOR DIVISION

(Best of 7 series tied 3-3)
March 14 — Vernon 3 at Penticton 4 (OT) (2,217)
March 15 — Vernon 2 at Penticton 5 (1,972)
March 17 — Penticton 2 at Vernon 5 (1,777)
March 18 — Penticton 2 at Vernon 5 (2,027)
March 20 — Vernon 4 at Penticton 3 (2OT) (2,747)
March 21 — Penticton 5 at Vernon 1 (3,196)
March 22 — Vernon at Penticton - 6 pm

MAINLAND DIVISION

(Chilliwack wins best of 7 series 4-0)
March 13 — Prince George 2 at Chilliwack 3 (1,479)
March 14 — Prince George 1 at Chilliwack 8 (1,509)
March 16 — Chilliwack 4 at Prince George 3 (1,076)
March 17 — Chilliwack 4 at Prince George 3 (892)

ISLAND DIVISION

(Best of 7 series tied 3-3)
March 13 — Powell River 2 at Nanaimo 4 (1,096)
March 14 — Powell River 1 at Nanaimo 2 (1,096)
March 16 — Nanaimo 1 at Powell River 2 (624)
March 17 — Nanaimo 1 at Powell River 2 (694)
March 19 — Powell River 1 at Nanaimo 2 (1,041)
March 20 — Nanaimo 2 at Powell River 4 (842)
March 22 — Powell River at Nanaimo - 7 pm

The Prince George Spruce Kings are in the market for a new Head Coach after Dave Dupas tendered his resignation. Dupas is leaving PG due to family reasons. The 53-year-old's wife and two kids remained at their home in West Kelowna while he coached the Spruce Kings. In a release on Facebook, the teams says that Dupas felt it was important to be closer to his family. In the same release, Spruce Kings GM Mike Hawes states "I have some potential replacements in mind and I’m going to make some calls over the next few days and have some conversations with guys that I feel would be a good fit. We’re in no rush to fill the spot but that being said I would like to fill the vacancy sooner than later so that the new coach can be heavily involved in the recruiting and building of next season’s team.” During his four and a half seasons with Prince George, Dupas coached the Spruce Kings to a 124-105-9-24 record along with a playoff spot in each of the last four years.

The Powell River Kings announced the commitment of 16-year-old forward Carter Turnbull for the 2015-16 season. Turnbull skated with the junior B Nanaimo Buccaneers this season, posting 71 points (31 goals, 40 assists) in 44 games. He added seven points (three goals, four assists) in five playoff games with the Bucs. The Nanaimo native played one game with the Kings as an affiliate player as well as four with Cowichan. He had no points in the lone game with PR, but did have a goal and an assist with the Capitals.

Forward Casey Bailey (Alberni Valley, 2009-11) signed a two-year entry level contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday as a college free agent. Bailey, who's from Anchorage, AK, had 40 points (22 goals, 18 assists) in 36 regular season games this season with Penn State University. In 96 career games at Penn State, Bailey posted 80 points (45 goals, 35 assists).