Friday, September 19, 2014

BCHL Roster Rules for 2014-15:

Just like last year, the BC Hockey League announced a number of changes to rosters after the AGM in June, and I thought I'd recap them and a few other rules as the 2014-15 season starts tonight at the Bauer BCHL Showcase in Chilliwack.

My comments are in italics after the rule.

- The BCHL Roster limit is 22 players at any time, 20 of which are eligible to dress and participate in any regular season or playoff game. (Same as it was in 2013-14)

- An injured player can be placed on long-term injured reserve and another brought in to fill that spot. (Same as 2013-14)

- Teams must have minimum of four rookie players, which is defined as those entering the season with less than 30 games of Junior A experience. (This is a change from previous seasons, when teams were required to have a minimum of two players 17-years-old or younger on their active roster)

- A team may only have six import players on their roster at any one time. An import is defined as an American-born player. No Canadian-born players who are age-eligible to play in any Junior A leagues across the country are considered imports. (This drops from seven in 2013-14 to six for this season. A reminder: an import player is now considered an import for his entire junior A career.)

- Once a player has signed a CHA playing certificate (also known as a "card"), players are bound by the regulations of Hockey Canada and movement to other teams is restricted. (Same as 2013-14)

- There is a "not-in-good-standing" list for players refusing to report to a team after a CJHL Player Transfer Agreement. (If players don't report after being traded, they'll receive this designation. It's the same as in 2013-14)

- A cap of eight player transfers per team during the 2014-15 season. (The key here is that the BCHL doesn't mean a cap of eight trades per team, it's a cap of eight player transfers per team.)

- Any player who’s dealt as futures can’t play for his original team the following year. (Basically any team transferring a player to another team as futures means the player can't return to the team which transferred him the following season. In simpler terms, this eliminates the potential of a player being a playoff "rental" for one team, only to see him return to the team that transferred him.)

- The number of CHA playing certificates available to each team is reduced from 45 to 35. (Every time a team adds a player to its roster, the team is required to "card" the player with Hockey Canada. Now with only 35 cards available between June 1st and January 10th, teams must be more efficient when it comes to signing players. A regular season roster is 22 players (or cards), which leaves just 13 additional cards to make changes with.)

- Affiliate players cannot be called up to a BCHL team until he has played in 10 (correction) five games for his junior B team. (This is a new rule which eliminates a BCHL team from having an agreement with a junior B team to keep a player on the junior B roster, but not playing him in any games.)

Thursday, September 18, 2014

2014-15 BCHL Team Reports - Langley Rivermen:

KEY ARRIVALS
D Steven Duda (Recruited from Des Moines Buccaneers - USHL), D Jacob Kearley (Acquired via trade from Cowichan Capitals), F Hunter Anderson (Recruited from Lincoln Stars - USHL), G Darren Martin (Acquired via trade from Battlefords North Stars - SJHL)

KEY DEPARTURES
F Matt Ustaski (Committed to University of Wisconsin), G Brock Crossthwaite (Committed to University of Nebraska-Omaha), D Viktor Dombrovskiy (Traded to Trail Smoke Eaters), D Chris Forney (Committed to University of Massachusetts-Lowell)

2013-14 NUMBERS

RECORD

37-13-3-5 (82 points)

HOME
19-5-2-3 (42 points)

AWAY
18-8-1-2 (39 points)

OT RECORD
10-5-3

DIVISION
1st

OVERALL
1st

OFFENSE
3.45 GPG (6th)

DEFENSE
2.67 GPG (2nd)

POWER PLAY
17.25% (14th)

PENALTY KILL
83.63% (4th)

TIES
5

1-GOAL GAMES
20-4-5

2-GOAL GAMES
5-4

3+ GOAL GAMES
12-5

WINNING STREAK
10-1-1

WINLESS STREAK
0-3-0

FAST FACTS

GM
Bobby Henderson

COACH
Bobby Henderson

ARENA
Langley Events Centre

2013-14 ATTENDANCE (INCLUDING PLAYOFFS)
1,002 (8th)

PLAYOFF RECORD
16-16 (since '10)

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

BCHL Broadcast, Blog, and Twitter Guide:

With the BCHL season starting Friday at the Bauer BCHL Showcase in Chilliwack, I thought I'd compile a list of each team's broadcast information and Twitter links.

I included details on each team's radio broadcast (if they have one). I didn't include links to online broadcasts simply because the BCHL mandates that each team have a home broadcast on FastHockey, so there's guaranteed to be that for each game. A number of teams do have an online audio-only broadcast, which the play-by-play announcers usually tweet the details and links of it out. You can follow each of them by clicking on their Twitter handle.

I've also included how many seasons each play-by-play announcer has been with their respective teams.

Alberni Valley Bulldogs
@AVBulldogs
Evan "Hammer" Hammond (12th season)
@HamWilder

Hammer's Bulldogs Blog
93.3 The Peak (Full Broadcast Schedule)

Chilliwack Chiefs
@Chiefs_Hockey
Kraig Krause (1st season)
@krausekraig

No official blog
89.5 The Drive (Period Updates)

Coquitlam Express
@BCHLExpress
Eddie Gregory (11th season)
@eddiegregory81

Coquitlam Expressions Blog
No radio broadcast

Cowichan Capitals
@CowichanCaps
Jeff Sargeant (1st season)
@jeffthesarge

Sargeant Speak Blog
89.7 The Juice (Full Broadcast Schedule)

Langley Rivermen
@LangleyRivermen
Jake Elliott (1st season)
@PxP4Sports
Langley Rivermen Junior "A" Hockey Blog

No radio broadcast

Merritt Centennials
@BCHLCentennials
David Ashbaugh (1st season)
@AshbaughDavid

Dustin Scafe's Junior Hockey Blog
Q101 FM (Full Broadcast Schedule)

Nanaimo Clippers
@Clippers_Hockey
Dan Marshall (8th season)
@DanMarshall77

No official blog
106.9 The Wolf (Full Broadcast Schedule)

Penticton Vees
@PentictonVees
Fraser Rodgers (4th season)
@VeesVoice
The Three V's Blog

EZ Rock 800 AM (Full Broadcast Schedule)

Powell River Kings
@BCHLKings
Alex Rawnsley (4th season)
@alexrawnsley

Kings of the Castle Blog
CJMP 90.1 FM (Every Saturday Night Game)

Prince George Spruce Kings
@SpruceKings
Ron St. Clair (2nd season)

Spruce Kings Crusader
99.3 The Drive (Eight games)

Salmon Arm SilverBacks
@SASilverBacks
Ian Douglas (2nd season)
@IanDouglasNL

Backs' Talk
93.7 - The Voice of the Shuswap (Road Games Only)

Surrey Eagles
@SurreyEagles
Justin Morissette (1st season)
@justinmoris

No official blog
No radio broadcast

Trail Smoke Eaters
@BCHLSmokeEaters
Position is vacant
No official blog

No radio broadcast

Vernon Vipers
@VernonVipers
Graham Turnbull (2nd season)
@GrahamT_Vipers

Vipers Venom
Vipersdiehardfan Blog
107.5 Kiss FM (Road Games and Saturday Home Games)

Victoria Grizzlies
@VicGrizzHockey
Tyler Bennett (1st season)
@TBennz

No official blog
No radio broadcast

West Kelowna Warriors
@BCHLWarriors
Kyle Anderson (1st season)
@WestKVoice

Battle Cries Blog
WDRC 95.1 FM (Full Broadcast Schedule)

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

2014 BCHL Team Reports - Cowichan Capitals

KEY ARRIVALS
G Alex Corley (Recruited from Shattuck St. Mary's Midget AAA), F Thomas Gobeil (Recruited from Val-d'Or Foreurs - QMJHL), D Skylar Pacheco (Acquired via trade from Prince George Spruce Kings),
D Julien Lepage (Recruited from Chicoutimi Sagueneens - QMJHL)

KEY DEPARTURES
F Myles Powell (Committed to Rochester Institute of Technology), D Jarrett Brown (Committed to University of Alaska-Anchorage), D Matthew Berry-Lamontagna (Committed to Simon Fraser University), D Valik Chichkin (Traded to Prince George Spruce Kings)

2013-14 NUMBERS

RECORD

22-30-2-4 (50 points)

HOME
15-10-1-3 (34 points)

AWAY
7-20-1-1 (16 points)

OT RECORD
3-4-2

DIVISION
5th

OVERALL
11th

OFFENSE
2.84 GPG (15th)

DEFENSE
3.47 GPG (11th)

POWER PLAY
19.69% (4th)

PENALTY KILL
78.63% (14th)

TIES
2

1-GOAL GAMES
11-7-4

2-GOAL GAMES
6-6

3+ GOAL GAMES
5-17

WINNING STREAK
3-0-1

WINLESS STREAK
0-9-0

FAST FACTS

GM
Bob Beatty

COACH
Bob Beatty

ARENA
Island Savings Centre

2013-14 ATTENDANCE (INCLUDING PLAYOFFS)
986 (9th)

PLAYOFF RECORD
4-8 (since '10)

Sunday, September 7, 2014

2014-15 BCHL Team Reports - Coquitlam Express:

KEY ARRIVALS
F Colton Kerfoot (Recruited from Vancouver NW Giants - BCMML), F Brian Dennerlein (Recruited from Florida Eels - USPHL Elite), F Logan Coomes (Recruited from Frederick Freeze - MetJHL)

KEY DEPARTURES
F Adam Rockwood (Committed to University of Wisconsin), F Bo Pieper (Committed to Quinnipiac University), D Marc Biega (Committed to Merrimack University), D Cameron Marks (Committed to University of New Hampshire)

2013-14 NUMBERS

RECORD

27-26-2-3 (59 points)

HOME
13-13-1-2 (29 points)

AWAY
14-13-1-1 (30 points)

OT RECORD
3-3-2

DIVISION
3rd

OVERALL
9th

OFFENSE
3.90 GPG (1st)

DEFENSE
3.90 GPG (13th)

POWER PLAY
19.22% (6th)

PENALTY KILL
82.64% (5th)

TIES
2

1-GOAL GAMES
6-9-3

2-GOAL GAMES
4-5

3+ GOAL GAMES
17-12

WINNING STREAK
6-0-1

WINLESS STREAK
0-4-1

FAST FACTS

GM
Barry Wolff

COACH
Barry Wolff

ARENA
Porier Sports and Leisure Centre

2013-14 ATTENDANCE (INCLUDING PLAYOFFS)
690 (15th)

PLAYOFF RECORD
16-13 (since '10)

TRENDING

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

2014-15 BCHL Team Reports - Chilliwack Chiefs:

KEY ARRIVALS
D Evan MacEachern (Acquired from Weeks Crushers - MHL), F Luke McColgan (Acquired from Battlefords North Stars - SJHL), D Vinnie Desharnais (Recruited from Northwood High School - USHS), F Tanner Campbell (Recruited from Okanagan Rockets - BCMML)

KEY DEPARTURES
F Zach Diamantoni (Committed to Northern Michigan University), D Carter Cochrane (Signed with Everett Silvertips - WHL), F Ben Butcher (Traded to Vernon Vipers)

2013-14 NUMBERS

RECORD
14-37-2-5 (35 points)

HOME
6-19-1-3 (16 points)

AWAY
8-18-1-2 (19 points)

OT RECORD
2-5-2

DIVISION

5th

OVERALL
15th

OFFENSE

3.40 GPG (8th)

DEFENSE

4.91 GPG (16th)

POWER PLAY
18.47% (10th)

PENALTY KILL
78.80% (13th)

TIES
2

1-GOAL GAMES
5-7-5

2-GOAL GAMES
3-3

3+ GOAL GAMES
6-27

WINNING STREAK
3-0-0

WINLESS STREAK
0-11-0

FAST FACTS

GM

Jason Tatarnic

COACH
Jason Tatarnic

ARENA
Prospera Centre

2013-14 ATTENDANCE (INCLUDING PLAYOFFS)
1,707 (3rd)

PLAYOFF RECORD

11-19 (since '10)

TRENDING

Monday, September 1, 2014

2014-15 BCHL Team Reports - Alberni Valley Bulldogs:

With the 2014-15 BC Hockey League regular season set to kick off with the annual Bauer BCHL Showcase at Prospera Centre in Chilliwack in less than three weeks, I thought I'd come up with reports for each of the league's sixteen teams. I'll go in alphabetical order and may or may not post a team each day, but I will get each team done before September 19th.

So, first up is the Alberni Valley Bulldogs.

KEY ARRIVALS
F Evan Tironese (Recruited from Green Bay Gamblers), G Billy Christopoulos (Recruited from Des Moines Buccaneers), F Jesse Knowler (Acquired from Trail Smoke Eaters), F Tyler Povelofskie (Acquired from Vernon Vipers)

KEY DEPARTURES
F Craig Martin (Traded to Trail Smoke Eaters), G Connor LaCouvee (Boston University), F Harlan Orr (Traded to Whitecourt - AJHL)

2013-14 NUMBERS

RECORD
21-28-2-7 (51 points)

HOME