Thursday, May 29, 2014

Logan Mick Joins Merritt from Vernon as Futures from Dylan Chanter Trade:

The Merritt Centennials announced today the future considerations they received from Vernon in the January 3rd trade which saw the Vipers acquire defenseman Dylan Chanter (95) for defenseman Jason Bird (93). Heading to the Nicola Valley is forward Logan Mick (96).

Mick, at 17, is already a veteran of 102 BCHL games, including playing all four games during the RBC Cup earlier this month. His dad Troy, who is the Head Coach and GM of the Salmon Arm SilverBacks, played in Merritt during the 1984-85 season.

With Mick gone to the Centennials, the Vipers only have goalie Danny Todosychuk (94), defensemen Ken Citron (94), Riley Guenther (95) and Michael Statchuk (94), along with forwards Matthew Saharchuk (95) and T.J. Dumonceaux (94) eligible to return for the 2014-15 season, and two of those players are reportedly going to Surrey as the future considerations from another trade.

To Merritt:
F Logan Mick (96)
D Jason Bird (93)
To Vernon:
D Dylan Chanter (95)
Here's the release from the Centennials website:

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce the acquisition of forward Logan Mick (96) from the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL which completes the future considerations in a previous deal for defenceman Dylan Chanter (95).

Mick, 17, brings over 100 BCHL regular season games experience to the Centennials lineup, which doesn't include 16 games of playoff experience and 4 games at the RBC Cup, which was held this May in Vernon.

“We are excited to add a player of Logan’s ability to our group. He gained tremendous experience this year in a long playoff run and playing at the RBC." said Cents GM & Head Coach Luke Pierce. "He plays with a lot of energy and brings a skillset that I believe is ready to breakthrough."

Logan is currently committed to Quinnipiac University for the 2015-16 season. His father, Troy, was a member of the Merritt Warriors in the 1984-85 season.

For further information, please contact Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce at 250-378-3607 or email luke@merrittcentennials.com

West Kelowna Warriors 2nd Annual Alumni Weekend Set to Go:

The West Kelowna (nee Westside) Warriors host their second annual alumni weekend starting Saturday with an alumni game.

Notable alumni from West Kelowna include Justin Schultz (Edmonton - NHL), Colton Sissons (Milwaukee - AHL), Nathan Lieuwen (Rochester - AHL), Tommy Grant (Idaho - ECHL), Kevin Walrod (Reading - ECHL), Max French (Bentley University - NCAA), Marcus Basara (University of Alaska-Fairbanks - NCAA) and many more!

The Warriors posted a release on their website back in April:

The West Kelowna Warriors are pleased to announce the 2nd Annual Alumni Golf & Hockey weekend will take place from May 31st-June 1st, 2014 presented by Tim Hortons!

Saturday, May 31st, 2014

"Warriors Alumni Hockey Game" at 6pm at RLP featuring Justin Schultz, Max French, Trevor Bailey, Joel Woznikoski, Andy Desautels, Jordan Masters, and over 40 other former and current Warriors players!

Admission is $2, and a donation to the Westside Community Food Bank.

Then stay after for an autograph session with all the players.  Autograph pictures will be provided for FREE!

Sunday, June 1st, 2014

"Warriors Alumni Golf Tournament" at Two Eagles Golf Course & Academy!

Golf with your favorite Warriors players, and build memories that will last a lifetime!

For Registration information, or to become a sponsor, email Andrew Deans at andrew@westkelownawarriors.ca, or phone 250-215-6304.

Golf is $150 +taxes per player and includes:

- Lunch
- Bucket of Balls at the Driving Range
- Golf & Cart
- And a Steak Dinner
- Plus prizes, and more!

This weekend is all in support of local charities and organizations in West Kelowna including:

- West Kelowna Minor Hockey
- West Kelowna KidSport
- Westside Community Food Bank
- Warriors Alumni Fund

We hope to see you all out for an amazing weekend of fun, and great memories!

This is also from the Warriors website, under "Alumni":
 The Warriors Alumni is comprised of players and staff who played and worked for the Junior “A” Hockey Club in the British Columbia Hockey League. Members of the Alumni have contributed to the team's success on and off the ice in the community of West Kelowna. These members work with the West Kelowna Warriors staff to coordinate special events, along with the Warriors Alumni Scholarship and the Annual Warriors Alumni Weekend. The Warriors Alumni is committed to giving back to the organization and community, along with supporting current collegiate players.

For more information regarding the Warriors Alumni Committee please contact westkelownawarriorsalumni@gmail.com or tweet @warriorsalumni

Monday, May 26, 2014

BC Junior A Registration Numbers from 2008-14:

Once again, BC Hockey has released its registration numbers from the 2013-14 season.

What's cool about the way BC Hockey does it is that it includes six year numbers so it's easy for us to see how the numbers fluctuate.

Note that 147 fewer players were registered to play junior A hockey in BC in 2013-14 than the season before, which means more teams were content to stick with the team that they selected out of training camp.

It makes me wonder if this is a trend which will continue or if this season was an anomaly.

JUNIOR A 2008-09 2009-10 2010-11 2011-12 2012-13 2013-14
Alberni Valley Bulldogs 36 32 33 33 40 27
Chilliwack Chiefs (includes Quesnel Millionaires) 35 35 35 37 26 28
Coquitlam Express (includes Burnaby Express) 35 33 36 36 40 26
Cowichan Valley Capitals 33 34 39 36 43 27
Dawson Creek Rage 0 0 24 25 0 0
Langley Rivermen (includes Langley Chiefs) 27 32 36 36 40 27
Merritt Centennials 35 30 39 39 25 26
Nanaimo Clippers 29 34 34 38 38 27
Penticton Vees 33 34 35 39 39 27
Powell River Kings 32 27 37 34 33 28
Prince George Spruce Kings 28 34 34 37 37 28
Salmon Arm SilverBacks 24 27 36 36 41 29
Surrey Eagles 35 32 34 35 36 25
Trail Smoke Eaters 32 35 38 37 44 25
Vernon Vipers 30 28 36 39 35 25
Victoria Grizzlies 29 35 39 39 37 34
West Kelowna Warriors (includes Westside Warriors) 31 29 34 36 30 28
Williams Lake TimberWolves 0 37 0 0 0 0
TOTAL JUNIOR A REGISTRATION 504 548 599 612 584 437

Victoria Grizzlies - Eligible Returnees & Graduating Players:

Graduating Players
Brandon Egli (University of Massachusetts)
Gerry Fitzgerald (Bemidji State University)
Leo Fitzgerald (Bemidji State University)
Myles Fitzgerald (Bemidji State University)
Mark McLellan (Middlebury College)
Mitch Meek (Clarkson University)
Jaden Schmeisser (Minnesota State University)
Jesse Schwartz (University of Connecticut)
Travis Stephens (Middlebury College)
Chris Albertini (University of Ontario Institute of Technology)

Eligible Returnees
(* indicates an open spot - assuming the team goes with 13 forwards and 7 defensemen)

Forwards
Storm Wahlrab (94)
David Walchuk (94)
Garrett Forster (95)
Shawn McBride (95)
Jay Mackie (95)
Dante Hahn (95)
Cole Pickup (96)
*
*
*
*
*
*

Defensemen
Rory McGuire (95)
Jacob Kearley (95)
Kevin Massy (95)
*
*
*
*

Goaltenders
Nic Renyard (94)
Alec Dillon (96)

Vernon Vipers - Eligible Returnees & Graduating Players:

Graduating Players
Mason Blacklock (Michigan Tech University)
Dylan Chanter (University of New Hampshire)
Liam Coughlin (Boston University)
Dexter Dancs (University of Michigan)
Demico Hannoun (Michigan Tech University)
Michael McNicholas (University of New Hampshire)
Brett Mulcahy (College of the Holy Cross)
Ryan Renz (Lake Superior State University)
Colton Sparrow (University of Alaska-Fairbanks)
Jared Wilson (Rochester Polytechnic Institute)
Austin Smith (overage)
Brendan Persley (overage)
Josh Bryan (overage)

Eligible Returnees
(* indicates an open spot - assuming the team goes with 13 forwards and 7 defensemen)

Forwards
TJ Dumonceaux (94)
Matty Saharchuk (95)
Tyler Povelofskie (96)
Logan Mick (96)
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Defensemen
Riley Guenther (94)
Michael Statchuk (94)
Ken Citron (95)
*
*
*
*

Goaltenders
Danny Todosychuk (94)
*

Friday, May 23, 2014

Summerland Steam Forward Sam Nigg Commits to TRU:

The Thompson Rivers University WolfPack announced via Twitter the commitment of KIJHL veteran forward Sam Nigg (93) for the 2014-15 BC Intercollegiate Hockey League season.

Nigg, who's from Penticton, skated for five KIJHL teams over his junior career, averaging nearly a point per game.

He's the sixth player committed to TRU, joining Andrew Stack, Ryan Hanes, Spencer Schoech, Tylor Branzsen and Brad Parker.

Sam Nigg

Prince George Extends General Manager Mike Hawes Through 2017-18:

Prince George solidified its front office for the next four seasons by signing General Manager Mike Hawes to a three-year contract extension.

Hawes, who is entering his fifth season as GM of the Spruce Kings, had one season left on a two-year contract he signed back in March 2013.

Here's the release from the Spruce Kings:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) are pleased to announce that General Manager Mike Hawes has been signed to a three year contract extension which takes him through the 2017/2018 season. Hawes still has one year remaining on his existing deal through the 2014/2015 season.

Mike Hawes is entering his 10th season with the Spruce Kings after joining the organization in 2005. During that time he served as associate coach for two seasons, including a silver medal finish in the 2007 Royal Bank Cup which was hosted by the Spruce Kings and the City of Prince George. Hawes then moved to the managerial side of the organization to become the Assistant General Manager for four seasons before being named General Manager in November 2010.

“Under Mike’s leadership our organization has enjoyed stability unmatched since joining the BCHL,” said Spruce Kings President, Thomas Bohmer. “To secure the leadership for our group moving forward is the foundation for continued success and a run at a championship.”

Photo credit: CKPG News
“I am a very proud resident of Prince George having grown up in the city,” said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. “I understand what it means to live in the north and what the Spruce Kings mean to the hard working people of Prince George. I take a lot of pride in what I do with the Spruce Kings, and I work hard to put a team on the ice that our fans can be proud of every night.”

Mike Hawes and the Spruce Kings continue to work hard in the off season to prepare for the team’s training camp which will start on Friday August 29th. The Spruce Kings regular season will begin on September 19th at the BCHL showcase in Chilliwack. The remainder of the regular season schedule will be determined at the BCHL league meetings in early June.

For more information contact the Spruce Kings office at 250.564.1747.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

TRU WolfPack Adds Forwards Tylor Branzsen and Brad Parker:

The Thompson Rivers University WolfPack announced on its Twitter account the commitment of two more players for 2014-15.

TRU adds 20-year-old forward Tylor Branzsen from the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League's Peninsula Panthers and 21-year-old forward Brad Parker from the Abbotsford Pilots of the Pacific Junior Hockey League.

Branzsen and Parker join forwards Ryan Hanes and Andrew Stack along with defenseman Spencer Schoech as new recruits for the 2014-15 BCIHL season.

Tylor Branzsen Brad Parker

Alberni Valley Picks Up Tyler Povelofskie from Vernon:

As announced by Bulldogs play-by-play man Evan Hammond (@HamWilder) on his morning show on 93.3 The Peak, Alberni Valley has acquired forward Tyler Povelofskie (96) from Vernon as the future considerations from a trade made back on October 1st.

The original deal saw the Bulldogs move defenseman Jared Wilson (94) to the Vipers for forward Craig Martin (95) and futures. Those futures are now revealed to be at least Povelofskie.

There may be cash involved as part of the future considerations to Alberni Valley, but that type of information is rarely disclosed, so for now, we have to assume the deal is simply Martin and Povelofskie to Vernon.

For Vernon, it's the third player leaving as part of future considerations as the Vipers also owe two yet-to-be-named roster players to Surrey as futures in the Brett Mulcahy trade.

To Alberni Valley:

To Vernon:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs announce today the future considerations component of the trade that saw defensemen Jared Wilson dealt to the Vernon Vipers last October for 95-born forward Craig Martin, 96-born forward Tyler Povelofskie and future considerations.

Povelofskie had a brief history with the Bulldogs, having been affiliated with the team during the 2012/13 season but committed to the Vernon Vipers in 2013/14 for a chance at the RBC Cup. In 2011/12, Povelofskie won a bronze medal with Team BC at the WHL U16 Western Canada Challenge Cup coached by current Bulldogs assistant coach Adam Hayduk.

"It took the Bulldogs a little longer then expected to get Tyler into a 'Dogs uniform," said Bulldogs head coach and general manager Kevin Willison. "He was a player we heavily recruited but ultimately lost out to Vernon because of a guaranteed chance for Tyler to compete for the RBC Cup," added Willison.

Tyler is a player that will provide a physical presence however he can also put the puck in the net - and he will get an opportunity to play more with the Bulldogs. With RBC Cup experience, Povelofskie will add a lot of young enthusiasm and leadership to the Alberni Valley Bulldogs next season.

As a 16 year old, Povelofskie was near a point-a-game pace with the Cariboo Cougars of the BC Major Midget League. He was the Cougars' assistant captain and quarterbacked the team's power play mid-season.

Welcome to the Alberni Valley Bulldogs family, Tyler.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Vernon to Send Two Players to Surrey as Future Considerations:

In a story reporting the Vipers season ending loss at the RBC Cup, the Vernon Morning Star mentions that Vernon owes two players from its roster to the Surrey Eagles as future considerations in the January 6th trade.

The deal saw forward Brett Mulcahy (93) head to the Vipers along with futures for forward Chase McMurphy (94) and futures.

What's not known is who the two players are. Here's an excerpt from the Morning Star article:
The Vipers lose half their team through graduation and NCAA scholarships, and they owe two players off their regular roster to the Surrey Eagles in the trade for Brett Mulcahy.

“We are still in the process of figuring out what to send back,” said Williamson, who heads to Las Vegas as a guest coach at a Junior camp, June 17-21.
Based on Vipers GM and Head Coach Jason Williamson's comments, it appears that Surrey and Vernon didn't have a pre-arranged agreement on who the Eagles receive in addition to McMurphy. This isn't uncommon when it comes to trades, as I'd imagine there is a list of players Surrey gets to choose from and the Vipers have to agree - although that's purely speculation on my part.

It does mean we can expect two Vernon regulars to join the Eagles for 2014-15, we just have to wait a bit longer to find out who those players are.

Here's the link to the complete article: http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/sports/260031321.html

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Chilliwack and Brooks Announce Future Considerations from January 6th Trade:

Chilliwack and Brooks have released the details of their trade made back on January 6th which saw Merrimack-bound forward Austin Plevy (94) head to the Bandits in exchange for forward Mason Boh (95) and future considerations.

We now know the future considerations are the CJHL player rights to three other players, each who won an RBC Cup with Brooks in 2013. Coming to the Chiefs are forwards Madison Dunn (95) and Jake Larson (94) along with defenseman Brandon Tkachuk (94). It remains to be seen if Larson ever hits the ice at Prospera Centre in 2014-15 as the 20-year-old from St. Michael, Minnesota is committed to the University of Alaska-Anchorage for this September.

For now though, Chilliwack owns Larson's CJHL rights and if he plays junior hockey in 2014-15, it is likely with the Chiefs.

The trade is a hefty price to pay for Brooks, but Plevy was a game-changer at the junior A level and the Bandits obviously saw him as a big piece in their run to repeat as RBC Cup champions. The Langley product did end up with 24 points (7g, 17a) in 19 games with Brooks during the regular season and nine points (4g, 5a) in nine playoff games overall.

To Chilliwack:

F Mason Boh (95)
F Madison Dunn (95)
F Jake Larson (94)
D Brandon Tkachuk (94)

To Brooks:
F Austin Plevy (94)

Here's the release from the Chiefs about the deal:

The Chiefs have finalized the future considerations in the transaction that saw Austin Plevy moved to the Brooks Bandits of the Alberta Junior Hockey League on January 6. In addition to forward Mason Boh, who joined the Chiefs in January,  the Chiefs are excited to announce that 1994 born defenseman Brandon Tkachuk, 1994 forward Jake Larson and 1995 born forward Madison Dunn will be joining the hockey club for the 2014-15 season.

New Chiefs Head Coach and General Manager Jason Tatarnic is thrilled with the acquisitions. “Brandon, Jake and Madison come to Chilliwack following a very successful season in Brooks. They will bring a winning mentality which will complement the high expectations we have for our hockey club this season. All three players have RBC Cup experience and we expect them to be leaders for us as with their skill, determination and hard work."

And from the Bandits:

The Brooks Bandits have finalized the early January trade with the Chilliwack Chiefs that brought high scoring forward Austin Plevy to the hockey club.  At the trade deadline the Bandits sent Mason Boh to the Chiefs along with future considerations.  Those future consideration are announced today as forwards Madison Dunn and Jake Larson along with defenceman Brandon Tkachuk.

Boh was in his first season with the Bandits and was highly recruited out of the Colorado Thunderbirds 18U program after leading the team in scoring in his final season.  Dunn was in his second season with the Bandits and had a steady sophomore campaign scoring 39 points.  Larson was a first year Bandit that had a hot start on the score sheet and made his college commitment to the University of Alaska-Anchorage.  Lastly Tkachuk was in his second season with the Bandits and saw a regular shift with some penalty kill minutes.

Head Coach/GM Ryan Papaioannou – “It's always difficult to part with good hockey players and more importantly good people.  But the nature of adding a player like Austin Plevy for another championship run comes at a cost of losing players.  We spent considerable time when approaching this deal with Chilliwack and felt it was in the best interest for our club in pursuit of our third consecutive championship.  This time things didn't work out in the playoffs but faced with this decision we would do it all over the exact same way.  We wish each of Madison, Jake and Brandon continued success with Chilliwack.”

Monday, May 19, 2014

Powell River Kings - Eligible Returnees & Graduating Players:

Graduating Players
Matt Scarth (College of the Holy Cross)
Ryan Scarfo (Union College)
Luke Nogard (University of Nebraska-Omaha)
Drew Dorantes (Ferris State University)
Brian Rideout (University of Nebraska-Omaha)
Luke Ripley (University of Notre Dame)
Jeff Smith (University of Massachusetts-Lowell)
Aidan Wright (overage)
Kyle Chatham (overage)

Eligible Returnees
(* indicates an open spot - assuming the team goes with 13 forwards and 7 defensemen)

Forwards
Jarryd Leung (94)
Stephen Hiff (94)
J.J. Coleshaw (94)
Lucas Grayson (94)
Kurt Keats (95)
Jarid Lukosevicius (95)
Brendyn Smith (95)
Curtis McCarrick (96)
Luke McCaw (96)
*
*
*
*

Defensemen
Jordan Burns (95)
Jeremy Leclerc (95)
Cole Acuri (96)
*
*
*
*

Goaltenders
Jonah Imoo (94)
*

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Penticton Vees - Eligible Returnees & Graduating Players:

Graduating Players
Brad McClure (Minnesota State University)
Jack Ramsey (University of Minnesota)
Nicolas Pierog (Clarkson University)
Paul Stoykewych (Western Michigan University)
Ben Dalpe (Clarkson University)
Max Coatta (Minnesota State University)
Cam Amantea (University of Alaska-Anchorage)
Chris Rygus (Clarkson University)
Travis Blanleil (University of Vermont)
Alexandre Coulombe (University of Vermont)
Brett Beauvais (Bemidji State University)
Olivier Mantha (University of Alaska-Anchorage)
Shane McColgan (overage)
Erik Benoit (overage)

Eligible Returnees
(* indicates an open spot - assuming the team goes with 13 forwards and 7 defensemen)

Forwards
Cody DePourcq (95)
Steen Cooper (95)
Matthew Serratore (94)
Riley Alferd (95)
Josh Blanchard (96)
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Defensemen
Patrick Sexton (94)
Jared Hilderman (97)
*
*
*
*
*

Goaltenders
Hunter Miska (95)
*

Langley Rivermen - Eligible Returnees & Graduating Players:

Graduating Players
Matt Ustaski (University of Wisconsin)
Jakob Reichert (Bowling Green University)
Mitch McLain (Bowling Green University)
Austin Azurdia (University of Alaska-Anchorage)
James Robinson (Penn State University)
Zach Urban (Northern Michigan University)
Tanner Johnson (University of Alaska-Anchorage)
Evan Anderson (University of Massachusetts-Lowell)
Chris Forney (University of Massachusetts-Lowell)
Tony Bretzman (University of Notre Dame)
Brock Crossthwaite (University of Nebraska-Omaha)
Lyndon Stanwood (Lake Forest College)

Eligible Returnees
(* indicates an open spot - assuming the team goes with 13 forwards and 7 defensemen)

Forwards
Gage Torrel (94)
Will Cook (94)
Brendan Gulka (94)
Kevan Kilistoff (95)
Jackson Waniek (96)
Marcus Vela (97)
Darien Craighead (97)
*
*
*
*
*
*

Defensemen
Austen Bietenbeck (95)
Charlie Pelnik (95)
Viktor Dombrovskiy (96)
*
*
*
*

Goaltenders
*
*

Coquitlam Express - Eligible Returnees & Graduating Players:

Graduating Players
Ryan Rosenthal (Northeastern University)
Adam Rockwood (University of Wisconsin)
Bo Pieper (Quinnipiac University)
Canon Pieper (Quinnipiac University)
Marc Biega (Merrimack University)
Cameron Marks (University of New Hampshire)
Jace Hennig (Merrimack University)
Cody Boyd (US Military Academy)
John Saunders (Royal Military College)
Mark Whiteley (overage)
J.D. Controneo (overage)
Zach Hodder (overage)
Gordie Defiel (overage)

Eligible Returnees
(* indicates an open spot - assuming the team goes with 13 forwards and 7 defensemen)

Forwards
Brendan Lamont (94)
Joey Santucci (94)
Daniell Lange (95)
Joshua Smith (95)
Jackson Cressey (96)
Nicholas Rasovic (96)
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Defensemen
Anthony Gardner (95)
*
*
*
*
*
*

Goaltenders
Pierce Dushenko (95)
*

Alberni Valley Bulldogs - Eligible Returnees & Graduating Players:

I understand future considerations have been announced for some trades and some of these players aren't attending college or playing with the Bulldogs next season, but I base everything on the BCHL website rosters, which don't reflect 2014-15 just yet.

Graduating Players
Craig Martin (Quinnipiac University)
Jake Kauppila (Michigan Tech University)
Tryg Strand (overage)
Hunter Stewart (overage)
Justin Georgeson (overage)
Mitch Owsley (overage)

Eligible Returnees
(* indicates an open spot - assuming the team goes with 13 forwards and 7 defensemen)

Forwards
Dylan Haugen (94)
Mitch Makin (94)
Harlan Orr (95)