Sunday, October 26, 2014

Vees Boss Fred Harbinson Hits 300 Wins, Caps and Rivermen Make Big Trade:

My apologies for the lack of posts here on the blog in the last little while. With all that I'm juggling professionally, plus family life, it makes it difficult to find time to post, although I hope to be more consistent.

You'll also notice a bit of a new format on the blog as I try to summarize the goings on in the BCHL and BC Intercollegiate Hockey League each day. I'll definitely still have the odd post focused on one topic, but I thought I'd give this a try as there are a number of sports blogs I like which follow a similar format. I also hope that creating content this way will help provide you with a hub for the news I usually provide and more.

As usual, for the most update info, please follow me on Twitter (@Brian_Wiebe), and thanks so much for reading.

Penticton GM and Head Coach Fred Harbinson reached the 300 win plateau in the BCHL with the Vees 1-0 win over Vernon on Saturday night. Dante Fabbro had the lone goal for Penticton while Hunter Miska made 29 saves. It's the Vees ninth straight win. As for Harbinson, his record since joining Penticton prior to the 2007-08 season is now 300-93-7-26.

The Vees official write up on the game is available here.

The Langley Rivermen nabbed F Colton Kehler (97) and re-acquired D Charlie Pelnik (94) from the Cowichan Capitals on Friday in exchange for F Darian Craighead (97) and F Brendan Gulka (94).

Craighead was suspended by the Rivermen earlier this month for leaving the team and had an immediate impact in Cowichan, scoring twice in his debut in a 3-2 loss to Alberni Valley. He also had a goal in Saturday's 6-5 overtime win against West Kelowna. Gulka should add some solid leadership and secondary scoring to the Capitals.

Pelnik returns to Langley after playing only 13 games with the Capitals. The 19-year-old from Cary, NC, was traded to Cowichan back in August by the Rivermen. Kehler, who holds the BC Major Midget League record for goals in a season, could wind up being a key offensive catalyst for Langley as he gains more experience in the BCHL.

The Rivermen media release on the trade is here and the Capitals take on the deal is here.

---

The Coquitlam Express signed D Cole Bevan (96) after he was released by the WHL's Saskatoon Blades. Bevan, who's from Surrey, was acquired by the Blades from the Swift Current Broncos back on September 30th, but only played one game with Saskatoon.

Meanwhile, former Express G Pierce Dushenko (95) has shown up on the roster of the Alberta Junior Hockey League's Whitecourt Wolverines. Neither the BCHL nor the AJHL websites show that Dushenko was traded. Either he was released by Coquitlam and signed by the Wolverines or a trade occurred that hasn't been reported.

---

F Alex Jackstadt (94) is no longer on the roster of the Powell River Kings. He had a goal and an assist in six games with the Kings this season after being recruited from the USHL's Fargo Force.

Jackstadt has re-joined the Kenai River Brown Bears of the North American Hockey League, where he played during the 2012-13 season. He has an assist through two games with Kenai River thus far this season.

D James Isaacs (Powell River, 2007-08) has signed with the Dundee Stars (EIHL) for the remainder of the 2014-15 season. He had a goal and four assists in 16 games with Dundee last season. Isaacs signed with the Kalamazoo Wings back in July, but was released a week and a half ago.