Friday, August 29, 2014

Victoria Reaquires Goaltender Michael Stiliadis in Four Team Trade:

The Victoria Grizzlies crease got a bit more crowded on Thursday as GM and Head Coach Brad Knight was part of a complex trade involving four different Canadian Junior Hockey League teams in four different leagues.

The first deal saw the Alberta Junior Hockey League's Whitecourt Wolverines trade 19-year-old forward Connor McCallum and future considerations to Cornwall Colts of the Central Canada Hockey League in exchange for 20-year-old defenseman Pierre Ouellette.

The Colts then traded McCallum to Grizzlies in exchange for future considerations. Victoria then flipped McCallum and future considerations to Dauphin Kings for 20-year-old goaltender Michael Stiliadis, who was named Most Valuable Player at last spring's RBC Cup tournament in Vernon.

Stiliadis had expressed to Dauphin that he was interested in returning to the BCHL for his last season of junior hockey and the Kings accommodated. The Woodbridge, Ontario product played for the Grizzlies in 2012-13 season, posting a 2.97 goals-against-average and an .897 save percentage in 31 games played. He was acquired from the OJHL's Oakville Blades by Victoria in late August of 2012.

In terms of the break down of Stiliadis rejoining Victoria, I'll only focus on the BCHL portion of the deal.

To Victoria Grizzlies:
G Michael Stiliadis (94) To Dauphin Kings:
F Connor McCallum (95) + Future Considerations

Here's the release from Dauphin on the deal:

The Dauphin Kings were a part of a 4 team trade this last week. Coming to the Kings is 19 year old forward Connor McCallum who played last season with the Whitecourt Wolverines in the AJHL as well as future considerations.

“Connor will bring tenacity, a strong work ethic and excellent character to our hockey club.” said Kings HC/GM Marlin Murray “He’s a big body that competes hard.”

The 6’2”, 200lb forward will arrive in Dauphin later this afternoon for the Kings Main Camp.

Going to the Victoria Grizzlies is 20 year old goaltender Michael Stiliadis.

“Stilly was very good for us last season and as a team are likely not as successful without him” stated Murray. “We were advised by his father and family advisor in the summertime that he would only be reporting to the BCHL for his final year of Junior A hockey. We are happy to get Connor and maximum PDF back in the deal because many BCHL teams had their goaltenders solidified for the upcoming season. We want to wish Stilly all the best.”