Thursday, August 21, 2014

Salmon Arm Picks Up Hometown Forward Shane Danyluk:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks added a significant piece to their forward group on Wednesday, acquiring the Canadian Junior Hockey League rights to 20-year-old Shane Danyluk from West Kelowna.

Danyluk was placed on waivers in the Western Hockey League earlier this week by Prince Albert, where he played the last four seasons. Once he cleared waivers, the SilverBacks needed to pick up his Canadian Junior A playing rights, which were held by the Warriors.

Salmon Arm swung a deal with West-K, sending 19-year-old forward Michael Roberts and future considerations to the Warriors to get Danyluk.

For Roberts, West Kelowna is the fifth BCHL team he's suited up for after previously spending time in Vernon, Surrey, Trail and of course, Salmon Arm. He's proven to be a big scorer at the junior B level, but has yet to translate those point totals to the BCHL, putting up 33 points (12g, 21a) in 117 career games.

Danyluk, who's never played junior A hockey, jumped directly to the WHL from the BC Major Midget League in 2010. He put up decent numbers with the Raiders, posting 77 points (25g, 55a) in 248 career games.

To Salmon Arm SilverBacks:
F Shane Danyluk (94) To West Kelowna Warriors:
F Michael Roberts (95) + Future Considerations

Here's the release from the SilverBacks:

The Salmon Arm Silverbacks Junior ‘A’ Hockey Club has made a significant acquisition today by acquiring the Hockey Canada playing rights for Salmon Arm local Shane Danyluk ’94. Danyluk is being acquired from the West Kelowna Warriors for Michael Roberts and future considerations.

“Shane has just completed 4 years at the WHL with the Prince Albert Raiders and amassed 25 goals and 52 assists for a total of 77 pts in 248 games. Shane will be a dynamic forward for the ‘Backs this season,” states GM Troy Mick. "Shane wanted to play his last year of Junior eligibility in his hometown in front of family and friends.  We are absolutely thrilled that he will be wearing a ‘Backs jersey this year.  When you acquire a player of Shane’s caliber, you have to give up a good player. We wish Michael Roberts the best of luck this coming season."

And from the Warriors:

The West Kelowna Warriors have acquired Michael Roberts (95) from the Salmon Arm Silverbacks in exchange for the CJHL playing rights of Shane Danyluk (94) and future considerations.

Roberts, a native of Vernon, BC has played in 2 BCHL seasons, donning the uniform of the Vernon Vipers, Surrey Eagles, Trail Smoke Eaters, and lastly the Silverbacks.

In 117 BCHL Games, he’s scored 12 goals and added 21 assists for 33 points. Roberts also put up 49 points in 44 games, including 27 goals for the Revelstoke Grizzlies of the KIJHL in 2011/2012.

“In acquiring Michael we get a veteran player than can play in all situations,” said Head Coach Rylan Ferster, “I have known Michael for a number of years and know exactly the type of person we are bringing in.”