Friday, August 15, 2014

Plans to Resurrect TRU Hockey Program for 2014-15 Halted:

Despite best efforts from Trevor Bast, there won't be hockey at Thompson Rivers University this season. That said, the door is definitely open for the program to be relaunched in future seasons.

Bast, whose son Des was announced as the last recruit by the WolfPack back in July, was spearheading the efforts to save the program.

He sent this email to the team's recruits and returning players earlier this week:

Hello Gentlemen. I have just spoken to the league commissioner and they can no longer wait to release the schedule. I wanted to let all of you know before TRU puts out an official release.

I'm sorry our rescue effort fell short and I appreciate everyone being on board. Don't feel like you didn't make a difference because you did. There was not much of a chance of it coming back next season the way things ended. Now we are having active and continuing conversations with TRU, the BCIHL and sponsors about icing a team next year.

I can't express how much I regret you guys not playing next season. I know what the game and the camaraderie means to you. For those of you aren't going to school because of this I feel even worse.

I will keep people notified of our progress moving forward.
TRU Athletics also posted this update on its website:

Plans to resurrect the hockey program at Thompson Rivers University have been put on hold.

Thompson Rivers University Athletic and Recreation Director Ken Olynyk said that a group which started a campaign to keep the program alive has fallen short. The group, which included a few parents of players and recruits, had communicated with university officials for the past weeks on the issue.

“I am not saying that the hockey program won’t come back in some form in the future,” said Olynyk. “But as it stands right now, any efforts to put a team on the ice for the 2014-15 BC Intercollegiate Hockey League season have ceased.”

The group plans to continue to speak with the Director, Athletics and Recreation as well as university officials over the coming months in an effort to reestablish the hockey program at Thompson Rivers University sometime in the future.