Sunday, August 31, 2014

Langley Snags Netminder Bo Didur from Rival Surrey:

The Langley Rivermen made their second off-season deal with the rival Surrey Eagles on Friday, acquiring 17-year-old goaltender Bo Didur in exchange for future considerations.

A month ago, the Rivermen picked up 17-year-old Domenic Masellis from the Eagles in the first trade between the longtime division foes.

Didur's acquisition comes as the Rivermen lost 20-year-old veteran Tyrell King to retirement. King was picked up in a three-way trade from the SJHL's Kindersley Klippers back in June, but announced on his Twitter account that he was leaving the game.

The number one job in Langley now looks to be between Didur and 18-year-old Darren Martin, who the Rivermen also acquired via trade in June from the SJHL's Battlefords North Stars.

Didur had outstanding numbers in major midget in 2012-13 and respectable numbers on an Eagles team which finished second to last in the Mainland Division and allowed 31 goals more than it scored.

The trade leaves Surrey without any goaltenders on its roster as 20-year-old Devon Fordyce was dealt to Okotoks of the AJHL earlier this summer.

To Langley Rivermen:
G Bo Didur (97) To Surrey Eagles:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from Langley:

The Langley Rivermen have acquired goaltender Bo Didur from the Surrey Eagles for future considerations.

The seventeen year old Didur played in twenty-four regular season games and six playoff games for the Eagles last season.

Prior to his rookie year with the Eagles, Didur played for the Northwest Giants in the BC Major Midget Hockey League, where he went undefeated in the regular season, winning twenty-three games in 2013.

“Bo has proven himself to be one of the top goalies in the country for his age,” said head coach Bobby Henderson. “We are fortunate to add a player of Bo’s ability to our organization. He comes in familiar with our group, as he has played with several of our guys in the past,” he said. “Bo has a reputation of being an outstanding character and possesses a work ethic that will allow him to continue to develop and climb the ranks.”