Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Just Like Last Year, Catching Up Once Again:

Just like last year, the month of July sees the blog here pretty much grind to a complete halt. It's because for the last four weeks, I've been tied up doing media relations for two very prestigious events - BC Superweek Cycling Series and Odlum Brown VanOpen Presented By Miele Tennis Tournament.

If you live in BC and have never seen any of the cycling races as part of BC Superweek or made the trip up to the Hollyburn Country Club for the Odlum Brown VanOpen, I'd highly recommend it. These are top level international and local athletes competing right in our own backyard. For each event, check out the respective websites for more info. BC Superweek - http://www.bcsuperweek.ca. Odlum Brown VanOpen - http://www.vanopen.com. On Twitter - @BC_Superweek and @VanOpen

-------

Rather than type up a post for every trade that's happened since my last post, I decided to just do one post summarizing the most recent deals in July. There won't be too much analysis because some of these trades are over a month old now, but I will include the player's stats and any official releases the teams put out regarding the trade.

-------

To Prince George Spruce Kings:
G Alex Brooks-Potts (95) To Kingston Voyageurs:
Future Considerations

Here's the Spruce Kings release:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) are pleased to announce the acquisition of goaltender Alex Brooks-Potts from the Kingston Voyageurs of the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL) in exchange for future considerations.

The 19 year old native of Burlington Ontario is 6’0” 170lbs and was the runner up for goaltender of the year in the OJHL last season.

“I’m excited to add a proven goaltender like Alex to our team,” said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. “It’s important to me that we have a very solid tandem in net and adding Alex does exactly that for us.”

“The tandem of Jesse Jenks and Alex should be one of the best in our league,” added Hawes. “That’s an important position for any team looking to have a successful season.”

Alex will be joining his new teammates in Prince George just prior to the start of the team’s training camp on August 29th.

-------

To Chilliwack Chiefs:
D Evan MacEachern (95) To Pictou County Weeks Crushers:
F Madison Dunn (95) F Mitchell Plevy (96) Here's the release from the Chiefs:

The Chilliwack Chiefs are pleased to announce the acquisition of 19 year old defenseman Evan MacEachern from the Pictou County Weeks Crushers of the Maritime Hockey League in exchange for forwards Madison Dunn and Mitch Plevy.

MacEachern joins the Chiefs after two seasons with the Crushers. In 44 games with Pictou last season the 5’10 native of Bedford Nova Scotia scored three goals and 15 assists. MacEachern was also a member of Team Canada East at the 2013 World Junior A Challenge held last November in Yarmouth Nova Scotia.

“We're very happy to add Evan to our line-up,” said Chiefs Head Coach and General Manager Jason Tatarnic. “Evan is quality person and will be a solid addition to our dressing room with his experience at the junior and international stage. We've added a smart and mobile defenseman. He’s pursuing an opportunity at the NCAA and we feel he has an excellent opportunity to accomplish his goal. Every NCAA Division 1 school will have the chance to watch Evan and the Chiefs at the BCHL showcase in September. It's a great opportunity for everyone and it's a chance to be showcased to every NHL team that will have scouts in attendance.”

MacEachern is thrilled to be making the move west.

“I'm very excited to be joining the Chilliwack Chiefs next season. A goal of mine is to play NCAA Division 1 hockey and getting to play in Chilliwack is a great opportunity to help reach that goal. I can't wait to get to know my new hometown and teammates. I have a lot of respect for Jason Tatarnic's coaching style having played against Woodstock in the MHL, and look forward to playing for him this season.”

Dunn’s playing rights were acquired by the Chiefs earlier this off season as part of the future considerations in the deal that saw Austin Plevy moved to the Brooks Bandits of the Alberta Junior Hockey League in January.

Mitch Plevy appeared in 49 games for the Chiefs last season scoring once and adding nine assists. The Chiefs would like to thank Mitch for his contributions both on and off the ice.

-------

To Chilliwack Chiefs:
F Rory Bell (95) To Toronto Lakeshore Patriots:
Future Considerations

Here's the Chiefs release on the deal:

The Chilliwack Chiefs are pleased to announce the acquisition of 19 year old forward Rory Bell from the Toronto Lakeshore Patriots in exchange for future considerations.

In 50 games with the Patriots last season the 6’1 native of Mississauga Ontario scored nine goals and 19 assists before adding four goals and six assists in 19 playoff games as the Patriots captured the league championship. Bell added a goal and an assist in four games for the Patriots at the Royal Bank Cup Championship in Vernon.

 “We are very excited to add Rory to our team,” said Chiefs Head Coach and General Manager Jason Tatarnic. “He adds depth, size and skill to our group of forwards. He also adds experience that includes playing in last season’s national championship tournament. He’s really developed as a player and we believe this could be a big year for him.”

Chiefs fans will get their first look at Bell when the Chiefs open training camp on September 2nd.

-------

To Cowichan Capitals:
D Skylar Pacheco (94) + Future Considerations

To Prince George Spruce Kings:
F Taylor Allan (95) D Valik Chichkin (94) Here's the release from the Spruce Kings:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) are pleased to announce that they have acquired 19 year old forward Taylor Allan and 20 year old defenseman Valik Chichkin from the Cowichan Valley Capitals in exchange for 20 year old defenseman Skylar Pacheco and future considerations.

The 6’0” 185lb Allan calls Calgary Alberta home and split last season between The Okotoks Oilers of the AJHL and Cowichan Valley. In 24 games with Cowichan Valley Allan had 8 goals and 4 assists for 12 points plus 24 penalty minutes.

The 6’3” 210lb Chichkin hails from Burnaby, B.C. and split last season between the Trail Smoke Eaters and Cowichan Valley. In 51 games played Chichkin had 2 goals and 14 assists for 16 points plus 62 penalty minutes.

“I wanted to add a top 6 forward with skill and grit and a top defenseman with some size and skill and was able to accomplish both with this move,” said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. “Taylor and Valik will both play big roles with our hockey club this upcoming season.”

“It’s always difficult to give up a player like Skylar,” continued Hawes. “Skylar has been with us for three full seasons and very much contributed to our on ice and off ice successes during his time here. We wish him the best in Cowichan Valley.”

Here's the release from the Capitals:

The Cowichan Capitals Hockey Club have acquired the CJHL playing rights of defenseman Skylar Pacheco (’94) and future considerations from the Prince George Spruce Kings in exchange for the CJHL playing rights of forward Taylor Allan (’95) and defenseman Valik Chichkin (’94).

Pacheco, who turns 20 on August 1st, has spent the last three seasons with the Spruce Kings. During the 2013/2014 season, the Kitimat, BC, native set career highs in goals, assists and points collecting 32 points (8g-24a) in 56 games with Prince George. He scored four power play goals for the Spruce Kings, also a career high.

“Skylar is a three year veteran of the BCHL who put up good numbers last season,” said Capitals Head Coach and General Manager, Bob Beatty. “He is a good skating, puck moving, dynamic defenseman that can jump into the rush and contribute offensively. He will give us a veteran presence on our side of the red line.”

The 5’10, 178-pound rearguard played in 162 career BCHL games with Prince George scoring 71 points (11g-60a) while also appearing in 15 playoff games over his three seasons collecting three assists.

Allan and Chichkin were both acquired by the Capitals in December in two separate trades. Chichkin came from the Trail Smoke Eaters and proved to be a solid defenseman on a refurbished defense the second half of the season scoring nine points (1g-8a) along with 20 penalty minutes in 26 games with Cowichan.

Allan was acquired from the Okotoks Oilers of the Alberta Junior Hockey League and immediately fit in on a line with Jesse Neher and Kyle Horsman as he scored 12 points (8g-4a) in 24 games with the Capitals.

“We had to give up some value to get some value in this trade,” said Beatty. We would like to thank Valik and Taylor for their contribution to the Capitals during their time with the organization.”

The Capitals would like to welcome Pacheco to the Capitals family and wish Allan and Chichkin the best moving forward.

-------

To La Ronge Ice Wolves:
F Matt Painchaud (96) To Prince George Spruce Kings:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Spruce Kings:

The Spruce Kings traded 18 year old forward Matt Painchaud to the La Ronge Ice Wolves of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League in exchange for future considerations. The Spruce Kings thank Matt for his contributions to last year’s team and wish him the best with La Ronge.

Here's the release from the Ice Wolves:

The La Ronge Ice Wolves are pleased to announce the acquistion of 96 born Centerman Matt Painchaud from the Prince George Spruce Kings of the BCHL.

Matt tallied 8 points in 49 games with the Spruce Kings while playing a checking role with the team, which meant playing against the oppostion's best players on a nightly basis.

Prior to playing with the Spruce Kings, Matt played with the North Delta Devils in the PIJHL, and as a 16 year old, produced 30 points in 40 games with the Devils.

"Matt is a young man that has proven he can be a play at the Junior A level.  Now with the Ice Wolves, we can offer him the oppotunity to become a key contributor on a nightly basis and it is our belief he can excel as a player and help the Teal and White", states Head Coach/GM Shawn Martin.

"When asking Matt to describe himself and after talking to numerous contacts, they all agreed that Matt competes and becomes involved in the game every shift out on the ice and that is something extremely valuable to our organization" added Shawn.

The Ice Wolves and their fans would like to welcome Matt and his family to the organization and the community.  The first chance the Ice Wolves faithful will get a look at Matt, in a Wolves jersey, will be on October 6, 2014 when the OCN Blizzard of the MJHL come to town for the exhibition season opener.

-------

To Merritt Centennials:
G Jonah Imoo (94) To Powell River Kings:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Cents:

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce the acquisition of '94 goaltender Jonah Imoo from the Powell River Kings in exchange for future considerations.

Jonah, a Surrey product, has played in 82 career BCHL regular season games, with 41 wins under his belt to go along with an .892 Save % and a 2.82 GAA, all stats he has accured with the Powell River Kings.

In 2012/13, Jonah earned the opportunity to play goal for Team Canada West at the World Junior A Challenge. In all 4 of his teams games, Jonah was consistent and solid; finishing with a 2.24 GAA and an impressive .918 Save %.

"The opportunity to add a goaltender with the type of experience Jonah has had was too good of an opportunity to pass up." Centennials Head Coach/GM Luke Pierce stated, "He has proven both in the BCHL and in the World Junior A Challenge that he is capable of playing in high pressure situations."

Pierce also eluded to this move giving the Centennials an important piece of locker room experience.

"We have had a solid track record of goaltending in the past few years and are confident that Jonah can come in and help our team continue that tradition. He will be looked upon to add leadership to our room and embrace his role as a positive representative of this community."

"On behalf of the organization and the City of Merritt; I welcome Jonah to the Centennials and look forward to seeing him in August."

And the release from the Kings:

The Kings have announced that they have traded goaltender Jonah Imoo to the Merritt Centennials for Future Considerations.

With the move, the Kings now have their two goalies for the upcoming season with the acquisition of (94) Brett Magnus from the Nepean Raiders and the signing of (97) Stefan Wornig from the Delta Hockey Academy.

The Kings would like to thank Jonah for all of his contributions to the organization and want to wish him the best of luck with the Centennials.

-------

To Okotoks Oilers:
G Devon Fordyce (94) To Vernon Vipers:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Oilers:

The Okotoks Oilers are pleased to announce the acquisition of 20-year old goaltender Devon Fordyce.  Fordyce is from Cochrane, AB and has played his previous three seasons with the Prince George Cougars of the WHL, Brooks Bandits of the AJHL and most recently with the Surrey Eagles of the BCHL,   With the Bandits, Fordyce posted a 10-2-1 record with a 1.61 Goals against average and .933 Save percentage.  Last season, Fordyce had an 14-12-1 record with a 3.35 Goals against average and .895 save percentage on a rebuilding Eagles team.

“Devon brings the Oilers a quality experienced goaltender who was part of the National Championship team in Brooks two seasons ago.  Paired along with a very talented young goalie we feel we have solidified the goalie position for this upcoming season.”

The Oilers organization would like to welcome Devon and look forward to his contributions in the upcoming season.

For any questions or comments, please contact the Oilers hockey office at (403) 938-0243.

-------

To Surrey Eagles:
G Daniel Urbani (95) + Future Considerations

To Brooks Bandits:
D Matt Dawson (96) Here's the release on former Eagles play-by-play man Chris Wahl's blog:

The Eagles shipped Dawson, a 34-point man last year in his 17 year-old season, to the Brooks Bandits for 19 year-old goaltender Daniel Urbani and futures. 4 of Dawson's six goals came on the power-play last season; look for those statistics to spike as he enters his 18 year-old year.

In Urbani, Surrey gets a two-year Junior "A" vet who made 13 appearances in the Bandits' goal last season. The Coquitlam native posted a 6-3-2 record with a very respectable 2.40 GAA and .913 SV%. As a 17 year-old with his hometown Express, Urbani picked up two wins (oddly, both against the Trail Smoke Eaters) in 16 appearances behind current Minnesota State Maverick Cole Huggins.
-------

To Calgary Mustangs:
F Mason Mitchell (94) To Surrey Eagles:
Future Considerations

Details on this deal, also from Chris Wahl's blog:

The Eagles sent overage forward Mason Mitchell to the Calgary Mustangs for future considerations. Mitchell, acquired as future considerations from Nanaimo last month in a deal that sent Luke Sandler to the Island in January, will attend Alaska-Anchorage in the fall of 2015, but returns to his hometown for his final season of junior hockey.

-------

To Vernon Vipers:
G Jarrod Schamerhorn (95) To Merritt Centennials:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Vipers:

The Vipers have acquired the CJHL playing rights to goalie Jarrod Schamerhorn (95) from the Merritt Centennials in exchange for future considerations.

Schamerhorn started last season with the Western Hockey League's Portland Winterhawks before being delt to the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

Schamerhorn would finish the 2013-14 season with the Merritt Centennials playing in eight games going 5-3 with a 3.08 GAA.

-------

To Langley Rivermen:
D Domenic Masellis (97) To Surrey Eagles:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Rivermen:

The Langley Rivermen have acquired defenceman Domenic Masellis from the Surrey Eagles in exchange for future considerations.

The 17 year-old Masellis hails from Burnaby and at 6'3" and 212 pounds, the physical blue liner adds some serious size and grit to the Rivermen's back end.

As a rookie last season with the Eagles, Masellis had three assists and 52 penalty minutes in 53 games.  As a 15 year-old, Masellis played on the Vancouver North West Giants of the BC Major Midget League winning the league title as well as the prestigious Mac's Tournament.

Selected in the third round of the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft by the Swift Current Broncos, Masellis played minor hockey at the Burnaby Winter Club.

The Rivermen would like to welcome Dominic to Langley and look forward to seeing him on the ice at training camp next month.

-------

To Prince George Spruce Kings:
F Michael Buonincontri (94) + Future Considerations

To Nanaimo Clippers:
F Brett Roulston (94) To Smiths Falls Bears:
F Korey Morgan (94) + Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Spruce Kings:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) are pleased to announce that they have acquired 20 year old forward Michael Buonincontri (Bon-in-country) from the Smiths Falls Bears of the Central Canada Hockey League (CCHL) in a three team trade that included the Nanaimo Clippers.

Going from Prince George to Nanaimo are the BCHL list rights of 20 year old forward Brett Roulston in exchange for 20 year old forward Korey Morgan and future considerations. Prince George then trades Korey Morgan and future considerations to Smiths Falls in exchange for Buonincontri.

The 6’2” 205lb Buonincontri is from Montreal Quebec and split last season between the Sioux Falls Stampede in the United States Hockey League and the Smiths Falls Bears of the CCHL. In 26 games with Smiths Falls, Buonincontri tallied 12 goals and 17 assists for 29 points to go along with 30 penalty minutes. He is committed to attend St. Cloud State University after his 20 year old season with the Spruce Kings.

“This is a deal that I’ve been working on for quite some time,” said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. “Michael is a tremendously talented player and somebody that I had targeted to acquire to add even more skill to an already deep forward group.”

“Michael is a big player with an incredible ability to put the puck in the net,” added Hawes. “He is also a veteran player with experience who will add a good element of leadership to our group.”

Michael Buonincontri will be joining his new teammates in Prince George prior to the start of training camp on August 29th.