Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Chilliwack and Brooks Announce Future Considerations from January 6th Trade:

Chilliwack and Brooks have released the details of their trade made back on January 6th which saw Merrimack-bound forward Austin Plevy (94) head to the Bandits in exchange for forward Mason Boh (95) and future considerations.

We now know the future considerations are the CJHL player rights to three other players, each who won an RBC Cup with Brooks in 2013. Coming to the Chiefs are forwards Madison Dunn (95) and Jake Larson (94) along with defenseman Brandon Tkachuk (94). It remains to be seen if Larson ever hits the ice at Prospera Centre in 2014-15 as the 20-year-old from St. Michael, Minnesota is committed to the University of Alaska-Anchorage for this September.

For now though, Chilliwack owns Larson's CJHL rights and if he plays junior hockey in 2014-15, it is likely with the Chiefs.

The trade is a hefty price to pay for Brooks, but Plevy was a game-changer at the junior A level and the Bandits obviously saw him as a big piece in their run to repeat as RBC Cup champions. The Langley product did end up with 24 points (7g, 17a) in 19 games with Brooks during the regular season and nine points (4g, 5a) in nine playoff games overall.

To Chilliwack:

F Mason Boh (95)
F Madison Dunn (95)
F Jake Larson (94)
D Brandon Tkachuk (94)

To Brooks:
F Austin Plevy (94)

Here's the release from the Chiefs about the deal:

The Chiefs have finalized the future considerations in the transaction that saw Austin Plevy moved to the Brooks Bandits of the Alberta Junior Hockey League on January 6. In addition to forward Mason Boh, who joined the Chiefs in January,  the Chiefs are excited to announce that 1994 born defenseman Brandon Tkachuk, 1994 forward Jake Larson and 1995 born forward Madison Dunn will be joining the hockey club for the 2014-15 season.

New Chiefs Head Coach and General Manager Jason Tatarnic is thrilled with the acquisitions. “Brandon, Jake and Madison come to Chilliwack following a very successful season in Brooks. They will bring a winning mentality which will complement the high expectations we have for our hockey club this season. All three players have RBC Cup experience and we expect them to be leaders for us as with their skill, determination and hard work."

And from the Bandits:

The Brooks Bandits have finalized the early January trade with the Chilliwack Chiefs that brought high scoring forward Austin Plevy to the hockey club.  At the trade deadline the Bandits sent Mason Boh to the Chiefs along with future considerations.  Those future consideration are announced today as forwards Madison Dunn and Jake Larson along with defenceman Brandon Tkachuk.

Boh was in his first season with the Bandits and was highly recruited out of the Colorado Thunderbirds 18U program after leading the team in scoring in his final season.  Dunn was in his second season with the Bandits and had a steady sophomore campaign scoring 39 points.  Larson was a first year Bandit that had a hot start on the score sheet and made his college commitment to the University of Alaska-Anchorage.  Lastly Tkachuk was in his second season with the Bandits and saw a regular shift with some penalty kill minutes.

Head Coach/GM Ryan Papaioannou – “It's always difficult to part with good hockey players and more importantly good people.  But the nature of adding a player like Austin Plevy for another championship run comes at a cost of losing players.  We spent considerable time when approaching this deal with Chilliwack and felt it was in the best interest for our club in pursuit of our third consecutive championship.  This time things didn't work out in the playoffs but faced with this decision we would do it all over the exact same way.  We wish each of Madison, Jake and Brandon continued success with Chilliwack.”