Thursday, February 6, 2014

Richmond Sockeyes Forward Johnny Wesley Commits to Langley for 2014-15:

Media Release

The Langley Rivermen are pleased to announce Johnny Wesley has committed to join the team for the 2014-15 season.

The 17-year old White Rock native is currently playing for the Richmond Sockeyes of the Pacific Junior Hockey League and has put up impressive numbers in his rookie season with 21 goals and 24 assists in 39 games.

"The commitment of Johnny Wesley brings us another talented young product of the Fraser Valley," said Rivermen Head Coach and General Manager, Bobby Henderson.

"He has proven himself at the Junior B level to be a 'finisher'.  Johnny has good size and uses it well, creating opportunities off puck possession and has a knack for being in the right place.  We are looking for Johnny to adjust quickly to the pace of the BCHL and to be a contributer in his rookie campaign."

Last month, Wesley played his first Junior A game with the Rivermen and looked strong in his debut.

"Bobby coaches really well, it was pretty nice to have that interest from him," said Wesley.

"I got in for a game and I really enjoyed it, I feel this is a great choice for me going into next season."

Wesley leads the Sockeyes in goals and sits ninth overall in league scoring.  At 6'0" and 185 pounds, he brings size but also a natural scoring ability.

"I'd say I'm a goal scorer, I like to shoot the puck a lot but I like to get in the corners too, a little gritty."

The Rivermen wish Johnny good luck with the rest of his season as the Sockeyes look to defend their league title.