Friday, July 19, 2013

Prince George - Pictou County Weeks Trade:

Prince George has been one of the busiest teams in the BCHL this off-season. In this deal, the Spruce Kings send 20-year-old forward David Stephens to the Pictou Country Weeks Crushers of the Maritime Junior Hockey League for future considerations.

The deal gives PG some flexibility with its roster, as Stephens was an overage player this season. Depending on the status of Tyson Witala, the subtraction of Stephens allows the Spruce Kings to add at least one or maybe two 20-year-olds.

To Pictou County Weeks:
F David Stephens (93) To Prince George:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Spruce Kings:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) have traded David Stephens to the Pictou County Weeks Crushers of the Maritime Junior Hockey League (MHL) in exchange for future considerations.

David Stephens was added to the roster in January 2013 and played a total of 17 regular season games with the Spruce Kings.

The Spruce Kings organization would like to thank David Stephens for all of his contributions to the team and wish the twenty year old all the best in his future hockey career.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Surrey - Oakville Trade:

Arguably the biggest trade of the off-season is officially four trades, but it breaks down to two teams in two leagues dealing with each other.

The trades are posted individually on the BCHL website

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights of Patrick Chore(93)F) from the Oakville Blades of the OJHL in exchange for the CJHL playing rights of Michael Santaguida(93)(G) and Future Considerations

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights of Eric Chore(93)(F) from the Oakville Blades of the OJHL in exchange for the CJHL playing rights of Michael Stenerson(93)(F) and Future Considerations

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights of Nathan Renouf(94)(F) from the Oakville Blades of the OJHL in exchange for the CJHL playing rights of Glen Ferguson(94)(G) and Future Considerations

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights of Jonah Renouf(94)(F) from the Oakville Blades of the OJHL in exchange for the CJHL playing rights of Devon Toews(94)(D) and Future Considerations

But it really breaks down to the fact that the Surrey Eagles have acquired two sets of twin forwards in Patrick and Eric Chore and Jonah and Nathan Renouf from the Oakville Blades of the OJHL. The only player off the Eagles roster headed to the Blades is 19-year-old goaltender Glenn Ferguson as all of the other players from Surrey are headed to play NCAA hockey this September.

If they do decided for whatever reason to return to junior A hockey, 20-year-old goalie Michael Santaguida, 20-year-old forward Michael Stenerson and 19-year-old defenseman Devon Toews' CJHL rights belong to Oakville. My guess is that the future considerations in the deal are monetary from Surrey, but there's been no confirmation of that.

To Surrey:
F Nathan Renouf (94) F Jonah Renouf (94) F Patrick Chore (93) F Eric Chore (93) To Oakville:
G Glenn Ferguson (94) G Michael Santaguida (93) F Michael Stenerson (93) D Devon Toews (94) + Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Eagles on the deal:

Surrey, BC - The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club announced on Monday that the team has acquired forwards Jonah Renouf ('94), Nathan Renouf ('94), Patrick Chore ('93) and Eric Chore ('93) from the Oakville Blades of the Ontario Junior Hockey League in exchange for goaltender Glenn Ferguson ('94), the playing rights to Devon Toews ('94), Michael Santaguida ('93) and Michael Stenerson ('93) and future considerations.

"We've lost some forwards from last year's team to NCAA schools, so we're excited to be acquiring some great skill guys who have put up great numbers in Ontario," said Eagles President, General Manager and Head Coach Peter Schaefer. "We hope they'll help out our power play as well, and we're very excited to have these young men join our organization."

The Renouf brothers hail from Mississauga, Ontario. Jonah finished second in OJHL scoring in the 2012-2013 season with 29 goals and 65 assists in 53 games while Nathan was sixth in league scoring, tallying 21 goals and 56 assists in 54 games. In the playoffs, the Renoufs combined for 11 points in six games as the Blades were eliminated by the North York Rangers in the first round. Both brothers have committed to attend Quinnipiac University for the 2014-2015 season.

The Chores are Kelowna natives who will return to their home province to play for the Eagles. Both brothers spent time with the North Okanagan Knights of the KIJHL for parts of two seasons from 2010-2012 and both had stints in the BCHL before heading to Ontario to start the 2012-2013 season. Patrick played 37 games for the Prince George Spruce Kings in 2011-2012 while Eric has suited up in 10 BCHL games split between the Spruce Kings and the Vernon Vipers.

Ferguson heads to Ontario after appearing in nine games for the Birds in the 2012-2013 season, posting a record of 4-5-0. While their playing rights have been transferred, Stenerson, Toews and Santaguida have all completed their junior careers and will be starting at NCAA schools in the fall.

The Eagles would like to welcome Jonah, Nathan, Patrick and Eric to the organization while wishing Glenn the best of luck in his future endeavours.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Prince George - Carleton Place Trade:

I apologize for the lack of posts in the last week and a half, I took on a Media Relations role for the top series of cycling races in Canada - BC Superweek. If you're interested, check it out at http://www.bcsuperweek.ca

As for moves around the BCHL, there have been a ton in the last little while. I'll go in chronological order based on when the trades were posted on the league's website.

------

For the second time this off-season, the Prince George Spruce Kings swung a trade with the Carleton Place Canadians of the CCHL, this time acquiring 19-year-old defenseman Luke Formica in exchange for future considerations.

Formica is a behemoth who stands 6-foot-6 and weights 209 lbs.

Neither team has a release on the deal on their respective websites, but the Canadians posted the trade on Twitter and the trade is listed on the BCHL website under "Transactions".

The Prince George Spruce Kings Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights of Luke Formica from the Carelton Place Canadians Hockey Club of the CCHL for Future Considerations

To Prince George:
D Luke Formica (94) To Carleton Place:
Future Considerations

Friday, July 5, 2013

West Kelowna - Calgary Trade:

The West Kelowna Warriors made their third trade of the off season yesterday, and second involving a team from the Alberta Junior Hockey League. This time the deal sees the Warriors send a player east as opposed to last month when West Kelowna acquired Taylor Graham from the Fort McMurray Oil Barons.

West-K moves 19-year-old defenseman Dustin Cave to the Calgary Mustangs in exchange for future considerations.

To Calgary:
D Dustin Cave (94) To West Kelowna:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Warriors:

The West Kelowna Warriors have traded defenseman Dustin Cave (94) to the Calgary Mustangs (AJHL) for future considerations.

At 5’11, and 203 pounds, Cave played a hard-nosed style of defense.  Over 2 years he accumulated 108 games played, 1 goal, and 15 assists.

The Tappen, BC native was traded from the Salmon Arm Silverbacks in 2011, and is a player the organization won’t easily forget.

“Dustin is a great all around person,” says Warriors Head Coach/GM Rylan Ferster.  “He represented the program with class 100 percent of the time.  His work in the community was amongst the best I had ever been a part of.  We want to thank him for his contributions to the program, and wish him well with his new team.”

“Caver”, as fans knew him, was a favorite amongst the youth in the community for all his hard work at local Schools, and especially with the Okanagan Boys & Girls Club.

Dustin spearheaded a program called “Caver’z Kidz”.  Each Tuesday he played floor hockey with a group of kids at the local Boys & Girls Club.  At every game kids from the club were invited to sit in the Caver’z Kidz zone, and were treated with treats, special t-shirt’s, and get to meet Dustin post-game.

Not only did Dustin find sponsorship of season tickets for all of his Caver’z Kidz, he also raised $1000 for the Okanagan Boys & Girls Club throughout the year.

Prince George - Carleton Place Trade:

The third trade the Prince George Spruce Kings made was just yesterday when they picked up a defenseman from the CCHL's Carelton Place Canadians.

The deal has 19-year-old blueliner Christian Weidauer (he turns 20 on November 23) join PG in exchange for future considerations.

Weidauer is the third new face on the Spruce Kings defence corps, along with new recruits Danny Kiraly and Caleb Thompson.

To Prince George:
D Christian Weidauer (93) To Carleton Place:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Spruce Kings:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) have acquired Christian Weidauer from the Carleton Place Canadians of the Central Canada Hockey League (CCHL) in exchange for future considerations.

Chritsian Weidauer is a '93 born 6' 3" 190 pound right handed defenceman from Keswick, Ontario. An offensive defenseman, Weidauer amassed 83 points (21G, 62A) in 170 games played over three seasons with the Canadians and contributed an additional 15 points (4G, 11A) in 22 playoff games.

"I'm very happy that we have been able to add a dynamic player like Christian to our team," said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. "Christian brings good size and a tremendous skill set to our back end. He can play in all situations and will be looked upon to be a leader on a strong group of defenseman. His experience and veteran presence will provide stability and confidence on and off the ice as well."

"I'm excited to be coming to Prince George to finish my junior hockey," said Christian Weidauer. "The BCHL is a great league and the Spruce Kings are a good fit for myself. I like to consider myself an offensive defenseman but my first focus is the defensive end of the ice."

"I'm coming to play and do everything I can to have a good season," added Weidauer.

Weidauer will join other new recruits and returning players for the start of the Spruce Kings main training camp August 23-25 in the Prince George Coliseum.

For more information contact the Spruce Kings office at 250.564.1747.

Prince George - OCN Trade:

The second trade Prince George made saw them alleviate roster pressure by moving both a 20-year-old player who would also be considered an import player this upcoming season.

The deal has 19-year-old defenseman Spencer Schoech (he turns 20 on July 20th) off to the OCN Blizzard of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League for future considerations.

To OCN:
D Spencer Schoech (93) To Prince George:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Spruce Kings:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) have traded Spencer Schoech to the OCN Blizzard of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League (MJHL) in exchange for future considerations.

Schoech was brought to Prince George part way into last season to help on the blue line and also played forward at times through the year.

"Spencer played well in his time with us last season," said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. "Unfortunately he has been caught in a bit of a numbers game as he would have been an overage player and an import player for us this upcoming season. He is going to a good program in Manitoba and will do well there."

The Spruce Kings organization would like to thank Spencer for all of his contributions to the team and wish the twenty year old all the best in his future hockey career.

For more information contact the Spruce Kings office at 250.564.1747.

And here's the release from the Blizzard:

The OCN Blizzard have added a veteran presence to their blue line.

The Blizzard have acquired 20-year old ('93) defensemen Spencer Schoech from the Prince George Spruce Kings of the BCHL.

Schoech split parts of last season between the Kamloops storm of the KIJHL a Jr.B league in BC and the Prince George Spruce Kings putting up no points in 20 games with Prince George and adding 6 PIM.

The deal is for future considerations.

Prince George - Coquitlam Trade:

The Prince George Spruce Kings have been busy over the last week and half, making three trades to acquire a forward and a defenceman while sending out one blueliner.

The first saw Spruce Kings get 19-year-old forward Brent Lashuk from the Coquitlam Express in exchange for 18-year-old forward Jace Hennig.

To Prince George:
F Brent Lashuk (94) To Coquitlam:
F Jace Hennig (95) Here's the release from the Spruce Kings:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) have completed a trade with the Coquitlam Express of the BCHL. Coming to Prince George is Brent Lashuk in exchange for Jace Hennig.

Brent Lashuk is a ‘94 born 6’ 2” 205 pound forward from Kelowna, BC who played last season for the West Kelowna Warriors before being traded to the Coquitlam Express. Lashuk, who shoots left, is considered to be a skilled forward with the ability to put the puck in the net.

"Brent is a gifted scorer," said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. "He also has good size to go along with a strong work ethic. I look for big things from Brent this season. We will give him every opportunity to be successful."

"It is always difficult to trade away a player like Jace," added Hawes. "Jace is from Coquitlam and this trade was a matter of family before hockey. We certainly appreciate everything Jace did for the Spruce Kings and wish him well with his hometown team."

Brent Lashuk will arrive in Prince George for the start of the Spruce Kings main training camp beginning August 23rd in the Coliseum.

For more information contact the Spruce Kings office at 250.564.1747.

And here's the release from the Express:

 The Coquitlam Express Junior A Hockey team are proud to announce they are bringing home 18 year old Forward Jace Hennig.

The Express move nineteen year old forward Brent Lashuk in exchange for Henning. Jace Hennig, a Coquitlam native, is a highly skilled forward who is committed to Merrimack College for the fall of 2014.

Head Coach Barry Wolff on the trade, "We are very excited to add a player like Jace Henning, although still a young player, he is maturing as a person and a player. We feel he has the ability to help our offence in a big way!"

The opportunity to have a local player play for his home town team, and give the community yet another reason to come out and cheer on the Express this up coming season.

"It was a very difficult decision to move a player like Brent Lashuk, who at the time we thought would play a big role with our hockey team for the 2013-14 season, but it is the tough part of the hockey business, and in this case we had to give up quality to get quality. " added Wolff

The Express thank Brent for his short time as a member of the Express Hockey team, and we wish him continued success in his career!