Thursday, May 30, 2013

BCHL Import Rules Changing in 2013-14:

At the Canadian Junior Hockey League's Annual General Meeting last Thursday, the ten member Junior A leagues decided to alter the import rules for the upcoming season.

In fact, the only uniform rule that I've been able to find that was across the entire CJHL in the past was that each team was only allowed eight import players on its roster at one given time. There seems to have been discrepancies across the country as to whether an import player maintained that status throughout his Junior A career.

In the BCHL, the previous rule was stated like this:
An import is any player transferring into the BC Branch from out of province who finished the last season in another branch - ie Alberta.
The new rule says imports are now only players who do not have Canadian citizenship, regardless of where they were registered in the previous season.

For example, if a player with Canadian citizenship were to play in a junior league in the U.S. like the NAHL, USHL, WSHL, etc. during one season and then be signed by a BCHL team for the following season, he won't be considered an import under the new rule.

The exact wording of the new rule is this:
No player having Canadian citizenship shall be classified as an Import.
One of the other rules changed for 2013-14 relates to how long a player is considered an import. Previously, if a player was designated an import, he only carried that notation for his first season playing Junior A hockey and then in his second season he was no longer considered an import.

The previous rule:
You are only designated as in import your first year.
The new rule:
Any player who meets the definition of Import in his first season of Junior A hockey shall continue to be classified as an Import when registering to play Junior A hockey in any subsequent season.
The leagues also decided to change the number of imports teams are allowed to have as well. It's been reduced from eight to seven. What's unknown is if the rule is grandfathered or not, meaning if a player (who isn't a Canadian citizen) skated in the BCHL in 2012-13, is he still considered an import for 2013-14 and beyond?

The previous rule:
A team may only have 8 import players on their roster at any one time and sign maximum of 12 during a season.
The new rule:
The maximum number of Imports that can register and play on a Junior A team at any given time shall be seven (7) in the 2013-14 season, and shall be six (6) beginning in the 2014-15 season. A review of that maximum number shall occur prior to the 2015-16 season.
These new rules will have a definite impact on some teams in the CJHL, while for others, it is simply business as usual as they didn't usually stock their roster with import players.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Grandview Steelers Defenceman Colton Schock First To Commit To SFU For 2013-14:

D Colton Schoch (92)
This is posted on the SFU hockey website:

The Simon Fraser University Men’s Ice Hockey program is pleased to announce that Grandview Steelers defenceman Colton Schock has committed to join the team for the 2013/2014 season.

Quick Stats
Age: 20
Position: D
Shoots: R
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 181 lbs

20 year old Schock played four seasons in the PIJHL with Grandview, totalling 29 points and 171 penalty minutes in 180 regular season games. The consistent defenceman also played in 9 playoff games with Grandview, and looks forward to continued success with the SFU program.

“I really like how much the hockey program at SFU is growing, and I look forward to contributing and winning a championship there,” says Schock. The SFU recruit describes himself as a “smart, physical, puck-moving defenceman with good speed.”

“Having a local Burnaby product join the SFU Hockey program is a great thing,” says SFU Head Coach Mark Coletta. “Colton is a great kid, hard working, and excited about wearing the SFU jersey. We recognized very early this past season that we needed to bolster the defensive core and Colton will be a great addition to the blue-line.”

Schock is the first player to commit to SFU for the 2013/2014 season. Further announcements will be made in the coming weeks.

BCHL Announces 2013 Officials Awards:

Here's the release from the BCHL website:

The BCHL is proud to announce the recipients of the BCHL officiating awards for the 2012-2013 season.

The Kelly Sutherland Award and the Brad Lazarowich Award were created last year to recognize officiating excellence in the BCHL.

The Kelly Sutherland Award for the top referee is presented this year to Jeff Ingram. Jeff is a veteran referee in the BCHL who is currently a Level 6 official. He refereed the BCHL Fred Page Cup this year and was selected to referee in the Western Canadian Championships in Nanaimo, where he was assigned the final game between the Surrey Eagles and Brooks Bandits.

“Jeff is a quality referee and person.  He has been a top referee in the BCHL for many years and is committed to excellence both on and off the ice,” said BCHL Director of Officiating Derek Adams. “Jeff has acted as a mentor to our young referees and is a leader on our staff who sets the bar extremely high for the standard of how we want our games in the BCHL to be officiated”.

Jeff also referees in the WHL and CIS, and was selected to referee the CIS Championships in Saskatoon in 2013.

The Brad Lazarowich Award for the top linesman is presented to Bevan Mills. Bevan has been a linesman in the BCHL since 2004 and has worked the Fred Page Cup for the past four years. Bevan was also selected to officiate in the Western Canada Cup this year.

“The mark of a great linesman is one who makes the referee’s job easier because he works hard at being proactive in preventing situations from escalating. That’s what makes Bevan such a great linesmen” said Adams.  “Bevan is extremely professional and respectful both on and off the ice and is committed to making the officiating team the best team on the ice every night”.

Bevan is also a linesman in the AHL and WHL and was selected to work the 2013 Memorial Cup this year in Saskatoon.

“These awards are a testament to the commitment the BCHL Board of Governors has to recognizing and supporting the officiating program in the BCHL” said Adams. “I congratulate both Jeff and Bevan for receiving these awards, but I am extremely proud of everyone on our officiating staff. There are always going to be some tough games, but our staff consistently comes to the rink every night to work hard and officiate the game in a very fair and professional manner”.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Three BCHL Alumni Win Kelly Cup as ECHL Champions:

The strong pedigree of BCHL alumni continues as three former players from the league claimed the Kelly Cup as East Coast Hockey League champions as members of the Reading Royals out of Reading, Pennsylvania.

Forwards Kirk MacDonald (Victoria, 2000-02), Evan Barlow (Salmon Arm, 2003-05), and Ethan Cox (2004-06) will all be recognized as part of the championship team.

For Barlow and MacDonald, it's their first ECHL title while Cox won a Kelly Cup with the Alaska Aces in 2011.

Here's the release from the Royals website:

The Reading Royals of the ECHL, affiliate of the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League and the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League, defeated the Stockton Thunder, 6-0, in Game Five of the best-of-seven Kelly Cup Championship Final match-up between the Royals and Thunder at Stockton Arena in Stockton, California. With the win, the Royals won the ECHL Kelly Cup Championship over the Thunder, four games to one.

In tonight’s decisive game, the Royals scored late in the first and the proceeded to ring off four straight in the second—a scoring spree that included an unassisted even strength goal, a short-handed goal and a power play goal—to build what proved to be an insurmountable lead. Goaltender Riley Gill (win 13-3-1, 29/29), who was selected as the ECHL Kelly Cup Playoffs’ Most Valuable Player, made all twenty-nine saves he was called upon to make—several in spectacular fashion—to record his fourth shutout of the playoff season.

This marks the first ECHL championship win for the Royals, who just completed their twelfth season in Reading. This is the seventeenth Kelly Cup Awarded in this the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary season for the ECHL. The league champion in the first eight seasons of the league was awarded the Riley Cup. The Royals are the tenth different organization in the ECHL to win the Kelly Cup; and the sixteenth different organization to win the league championship.

With this Championship, Royals’ defenseman Patrick Wellar becomes only the second player in ECHL history to win the Kelly Cup three times. Wellar, who won the Cup with the Alaska Aces (2006) and South Carolina Stingrays (2009), joins Scott Burt in that regard. For Ethan Cox and Nikita Kashirsky, this marks their second Kelly Cup Championship. Cox won it previously with the Alaska Aces in 2011. Kashirsky was a member of the Stingrays in their championship run in 2009. For Bryant Molle, Barry Almeida and Stan Galiev, this marks a second consecutive championship season. Molle was a member of the 2012 CHL President’s Cup Champion Fort Wayne Komets. Almeida won the NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey National Championship with Boston College in 2012. Galiev was a member of the Saint John’s Sea Dogs who won the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Championship in 2012.

After an energetic start to tonight’s game that saw both clubs generate quality scoring chances, the Royals struck first 17:05 into the first period when Mark Mitera threw a wrister off the wide left point that hit a body on the way in and deflected behind goaltender Tyler Bunz (loss, 1-1-0 28/34) for Mitera’s second of the season—and what proved to be his first game winner of the season.

The Royals then exploded for four in the second. It started 2:49 into the period, when Brett Flemming walked around everyone down the right wing side, got tight to the goaltender Bunz and forced it under him for Flemming’s fifth of the playoff season, which proved to lead all defenseman in the ECHL. Reading then capitalized on the team’s first penalty kill of the night with a short-handed goal by Ian O’Connor. T.J. Syner sprang O’Connor for the break, and he buried a hot snapper by Bunz for his sixth of the playoff season—and his second SHG and the fourth SHG of the playoff season for Reading.

The Royals stretched the lead to 4-0 when Pat Wellar fired from the left point. Bunz made the save, but Syner was wide open out in front to punch back the rebound for his ninth of the playoff season. Reading stretched the lead to 5-0 with a power play goal by Stan Galiev, who was inserted into the Royals’ line-up tonight after missing twelve consecutive games. Galiev got a clean look for a bullet-wrister from the left circle for his fourth of the playoff season with 4:50 remaining in the second period. Galiev was set up by Yannick Tifu, who recorded his twenty-fifth point of the playoff season (12g-13a) which proved to lead all players in the ECHL’s post-season.

Reading added one more in the third when Syner set up Joel Champagne, charging down the middle, for a redirect over Bunz with 3:35 left in regulation. But by that time, the outcome had been pretty much determined as the Royals played a simple and solid final period of the 2012-13 season.

UPDATED - Surrey-Cowichan Valley-Langley-Penticton Trade Finalized:

Thanks to Surrey Eagles play-by-play man Brendan Batchelor and Langley associate coach Jordan Emmerson for clarifying that the trade that sees forward Kevan Kilistoff (95) join the Riverman as the final piece of a four team, five player deal.

On December 28th, Penticton traded defenseman Nathan Deyell (95) to Cowichan Valley for future considerations, Langley traded defenseman Thomas Nitsche (92) to the Vees for future considerations, the Capitals traded defenseman Troy Paterson (92) to Surrey for future considerations and the Eagles moved defenseman Austin Bietenbeck (95) and futures to the Rivermen for future considerations.

So the trades break down like this:

To Langley:
F Kevan Kilistoff (95)
D Austin Bietenbeck (95)
To Surrey:
D Troy Paterson (92)
To Cowichan Valley:
D Nathan Deyell (95)
To Penticton:
D Thomas Nitsche (92)

Here's the release from the Eagles:

Forward Kevan Kilistoff is off to the Langley Rivermen, completing the multi-team trade that saw the Eagles pick up Troy Paterson from Cowichan Valley.

Kilistoff will have a chance to play for his hometown team as he’ll make the short trip to Langley. An 18-year-old BCHL rookie, Kilistoff had 17 points in 52 games in the regular season. His biggest goal of the playoffs came when he scored the overtime winner in Game 5 of the Fred Page Cup Final against the Penticton Vees to give Surrey a 3-2 lead in the series.

Here's the Rivermen take on things:

The Langley Rivermen Junior “A” Hockey club is pleased to announce the acquisition of Kevan Kilistoff (1995 born) from the Surrey Eagles. This move completes a multi team trade that saw the Eagles pick up Troy Paterson from the Cowichan Valley Capitals. Kilistoff had a stellar rookie season racking 7 goals and 10 assists in 52 games with the Eagles.

“I am happy to come to my hometown and play for the Rivermen. It is a good organization that looks poised to have a good team next year and and playing out of one of the best facilities in the league on a daily basis doesn’t hurt either,” Kilistoff said.

The trade came as a complete surprise to the youngster as he found out about the news on Thursday morning during his exit interview with his Head Coach Matt Erhart,

“I did not see it coming that is for sure. At first I had mixed feelings about it because I had such a good time with Surrey, but at the same time I was happy to go closer to home and play in Langley,” Kilistoff continued.

Kilistoff is a 6 foot, 190 pound forward that can play in any position up front and in all situations. His new Head Coach Bobby Henderson had nothing but good things to say about his new player,

“We are excited to bring in a good local talent like Kevan to our club. He brings good experience as he is fresh off playing in the RBC Cup with Surrey and had a pretty big role with that team and we expect his role to expand with us,” said Henderson, “he is a playmaking forward that has really good speed and a knack for the net and we expect his numbers to increase with us.”

Not many players playing in their first season in the BCHL can say they accomplished what Kevan did in his rookie year. The 18 year old not only won the Fred Page Cup, but the Western Canada Cup as well which earned the Eagles a birth into the national championship tournament. Kilistoff went on to say those experiences will help him tremendously going into next year.

Playing in the Mainland division, Kilistoff is familiar with the Rivermen and believes they are a team on the rise,

“We had some good battles with the Rivermen all year, especially in the playoffs. They were a tough team to play against and were easy games to get up for when we played them. There are some key pieces coming back for another year and I hope to contribute any way I can,” Kilistoff finished.

Surrey-Vernon Trade Finalized:

With the end of the Surrey Eagles season a week ago in the semifinals at the RBC Cup, news was released on Thursday which players going to the Vernon Vipers as the future considerations from the January 10th trade which saw Adam Tambellini join the eventual BCHL champions.

The deal winds up being a five player transaction with Tambellini and forward Michael Roberts (95) heading to Surrey while forward Mason Blacklock (94) was sent to Vernon at the deadline and now forward Demico Hannoun (95) and defenseman Jordan Klimek (95) are off to the Vipers.

The move gives Hannoun and Klimek the rare opportunity to play in back-to-back RBC Cup tournaments as Vernon hosts the national junior A championship in 2014.

So the final, completed deal looks like this:

To Vernon:
F Demico Hannoun (95)
F Mason Blacklock (94)
D Jordan Klimek
To Surrey:
F Michael Roberts (95)
F Adam Tambellini (94)

Here's the release from the Vipers website:

The Vernon Vipers and Surrey Eagles have now completed the deal that sent Adam Tambellini to the Eagles at the BCHL Trade Deadline.

The BCHL Champion Eagles are sending forward Demico Hannoun(95) and defenceman Jordan Klimek (95) to the Vipers for next season.

In order to finalize the deal the Vipers have sent forward Michael Roberts(95) to the Surrey Eagles.

In the end the trade featured 5 players in total with the Vipers acquiring Mason Blacklock, Hannoun and Klimek in exchange for Tambellini and Roberts.

Both Hannoun and Klimek have secured scholarships for the 14-15 season with Hannoun attending Michigan Tech while Klimek will suit up for Northern Michigan.

Head Coach and General Manager Jason Williamson is excited to add two more experienced bodies to his roster.  “Any time that you have the opportunity to acquire players of this calibre you have to entertain it.  Moving Adam and Michael were not easy decisions for our club however we believed it gave us an opportunity to add some depth and some very good talent to our line-up during a very important season for us.  The experience gained by both Jordan and Demico during Surrey’s recent and successful playoff run will be very valuable to our group moving forward.”

The Vipers would like to welcome Demico and Jordan to the hockey club and wish Michael the best of luck next season and in the future.

For more information please call the Viper office at 250-542-6022.

Here's the release from the Eagles website:

On Thursday, the Surrey Eagles announced that three players have been traded as future considerations, completing deals that were made during the BCHL’s regular season. Forward Demico Hannoun and defenceman Jordan Klimek are on their way to the Vernon Vipers as part of the move that brought Adam Tambellini to Surrey while Vernon forward Michael Roberts will join the Eagles.

"It is a tough day as a coach and GM when you have to part with three quality young men that all have bright futures in the game of hockey," said Eagles Head Coach and General Manager Matt Erhart. "In order for the Eagles to push through and capture the Fred Page and Western Canada Cups, we felt that the moves were necessary at the time the trades were made."

Roberts joins the Eagles after posting four goals and six assists in 53 games in his rookie season with the Vipers last year. The 18-year-old Vernon native spent the 2011-2012 season with the Revelstoke Grizzlies of the KIJHL where he scored over a point per game.

Hannoun heads to the Vipers after two seasons with the Eagles. In his time in Surrey, the 17-year-old tallied 59 points in 91 regular season games. The North Delta product was a big part of Surrey’s run to the semi-final at the RBC Cup, netting nine goals and 14 assists in 26 post-season games. Hannoun has committed to the Michigan Tech Huskies for the 2014-2015 season.

Klimek is also off to Vernon after completing his rookie season in Surrey. The Langley native had six goals and 17 assists in 52 regular season games -- including four game winning goals. The 17-year-old had only one goal in the post-season, but it was a big one as he found the back of the net in the final of the Western Canada Cup against the Brooks Bandits. Klimek has committed to the Northern Michigan Wildcats for the 2014-2015 season.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Salmon Arm SilverBacks Hire Chris Wahl as Marketing Director & Play-By-Play Announcer:

(New Salmon Arm Marking Director & Play-By-Play Announcer Chris Wahl)

The first play-by-play change of the 2013 BCHL off-season has occurred with Chris Wahl taking over from Scott Campbell in Salmon Arm.

Chris leaves the Play-By-Play and Marketing Director position with the Trail Smoke Eaters, which means there's an opening in the West Kootenay for an aspiring sports broadcaster. The Cowichan Valley Capitals are the only other BCHL team without a play-by-play broadcaster at this point. They have been since Alf Orton left the position in Duncan during the 2012-13 season.

The quality of broadcasters in the BCHL is outstanding and I have absolutely no doubt that Chris will be successful in Salmon Arm.

Here's the release from the SilverBacks website:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks are pleased to announce the hiring of Chris Wahl as director of marketing & corporate partnerships and play-by-play broadcaster.

Wahl, 28, joins the SilverBacks after two seasons with the Trail Smoke Eaters as play-by-play broadcaster. He was named Trail’s director of marketing in May 2012. Before his time in Trail, Wahl called games for the KIJHL’s Castlegar Rebels for two seasons.

“I’m very excited to be joining a quality organization in Salmon Arm,” Wahl stated. “During my travels with the Smoke Eaters, the Shaw Centre stood out as a lively, well-supported atmosphere and I can’t wait to help build on that strong foundation heading into the 2013-14 season.”

SilverBacks GM & Head Coach Troy Mick says...

“We are very excited to announce that Chris Wahl has joined the SilverBacks Hockey club as the New Director of Marketing and Play by play for this coming season. Walzy as he is known through the BCHL circles is a young, energetic, passionate people person who will be a great addition to our team” says Mick

We wanted to combine both the Marketing & Play by Play positions this year to stream line our operations and Chris’s resume rose to the top of the applicants because of his knowledge of the BCHL and his proven professionalism within the league.

We would also like to thank Scott Campbell for all of his hard work during the last 2 years as the Voice of the Backs and we are currently trying to keep him within the organization in another capacity.

Wahl will be relocating to Salmon Arm in time to commence duties with the team on Monday, May 27th.

For more information please contact the SilverBacks Hockey Operations office at 250-832-3856 Ext 106

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hockey Canada AGM Gets Underway:

Hockey Canada's annual general meeting gets underway today in Charlottetown and there are two items on the agenda that will definitely impact the BCHL and its fans.

Firstly, the host city for the 2015 RBC Cup will be determined at the AGM. The two cities bidding for the tournament are Portage La Prairie, Manitoba and Cobourg, Ontario. The teams associated with the bids are the Portage Terriers of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League and the Cobourg Cougars of the Ontario Junior Hockey League.

Secondly, it's interesting to note that Hockey Canada is reviewing the process for Junior A teams based in the United States to apply to be a member of a Canadian-based league. As of right now, there are only two U.S.-based teams in the Canadian Junior Hockey League (Minnesota Iron Rangers - SIJHL and Buffalo Jr. Sabres - OJHL). The Minnesota Wilderness, who played last season in the SIJHL, has been admitted to the NAHL while the NOJHL's Soo Eagles joined the NAHL following the 2011-12 season.

And of course, much has been made of the Wenatchee Wild's potential to join the BCHL. My guess is the situation with Wenatchee has precipitated the discussion for Hockey Canada at this week's AGM.

I've bolded and underlined the items in Hockey Canada's release below:

Several initiatives related to the growth and development of hockey across the country will be discussed during Hockey Canada’s 94th annual general meeting (AGM), which runs from Thursday, May 23 through Sunday, May 26 at the Delta Prince Edward.

More than 250 representatives from regional and provincial hockey associations are gathering in Charlottetown for Hockey Canada’s AGM, with the governing body’s board of directors to be joined by life members and partner organizations, as well as councils that oversee female hockey, junior hockey, minor hockey, senior hockey and hockey development.

These representatives come together annually to set Hockey Canada’s direction to help grow the game of hockey in Canada.

About Hockey Canada’s annual general meeting in Charlottetown:

  •     The theme of the 2013 Hockey Canada AGM is “Safe fun is priority one!”
  •     The AGM will feature a hot stove session on hockey in Canada on Saturday, May 25 at 11:15 am  AT with special guests from the hockey world.
  •     Discussions will include:
    • a review of bodychecking in minor hockey in Canada;
    • a discussion on governance;
    • the election of a chairman and board of directors;
    • site selection for the 2015 RBC Cup;
    • a review of the process for U.S.-based Junior A teams who may, in the future, apply to participate in a Canadian league;
    • final registration figures for 2012-13, including players, officials and coaches;
    • a recognition of national champions for 2012-13;
    • reports from Hockey Canada’s councils (female hockey, junior hockey, minor hockey, senior hockey and hockey development).
Hockey Canada’s 2013 awards banquet is set for the evening of Friday, May 24, where 10 deserving recipients will be honoured in different categories for their contributions and commitment to hockey in Canada.

HOCKEY CANADA ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING SCHEDULE
Media can contact Andre Brin (abrin@hockeycanada.ca / 403-540-8444) during the AGM for delegate interviews or information on sessions.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Three Members of Selkirk College Championship Team Commit to TRU for 2013-14:

Thompson Rivers University has gained some much-coveted "winning experience" for the upcoming B.C. Intercollegiate Hockey League season.

General manager Chris Hans and head coach Don Schulz are pleased to announce that forwards Brodie Gibbon and John Proctor along with goaltender Stephen Wolff will be joining the program in September. All three were members of the BCIHL champion Selkirk College Saints last season.

"I'm most pleased with the additions of these three players," says Schulz. "Saying pleased is an understatement. They all come from a successful, championship program and will bring a wealth of positive experience to the dressing room. All three want to contribute more and show what they can do at this level."

Gibbon is 5-foot-9, 170 pounds and had two goals and two assists in 13 games with the Saints last season. Proctor stands 6-foot-4, 215 pounds and played in 13 games last season, scoring a goal and adding two assists. Wolff won all six games he was in last season, compliling a goals against average of 2.62 and a saves percentage of .913.

"I've heard nothing but positive things about both the school and the hockey program," Proctor states. "I feel Thompson Rivers will be a perfect fit for me to further my education while continuing to play the sport I love."

Proctor, who will be taking courses in the Business Administration degree program, is a former minor and junior hockey teammate of fellow WolfPack recruits Alex Martin and Ryan Cuthbert (with the Delta IceHawks of the PJHL) and second-year forward Kevin Lourens (with the Major Midget Vancouver North East Chiefs).

"I chose TRU because it’s close to the town I grew up in (Logan Lake, BC)," says Wolff, who will enrol in Police and Justice studies. "A lot of the friends I grew up with there now live in Kamloops. It was an easy decision for me to choose Thompson Rivers as a school where I would further my studies. It’s a great school with a great reputation."

Gibbon will be entered in the Bachelor of Journalism program and is pleased to be reunited with his two Selkirk teammates and former Junior B teammate Jake Howardson, who he played with as a member of the VIJHL's Oceanside Generals.

"It's always easier going into a dressing room with some familiar faces in it," he says. "But I'm looking forward to meeting and getting to know my new teammates."

"Brodie and John will add some needed depth to our forward crew and will complement our returning group very nicely," Schulz explains. "Both were scorers in junior and now that they have added some experience at this level, they know what to expect and what it takes to be successful. They are looking for a new beginning and a fresh start with us. I expect both of them to add to our offensive prowess and provide some needed punch up front."

As for his new goalie, the third fresh face at that position for 2013-14?

"What can I say about Stephen? He is undefeated at this level and his saves percentage was outstanding last year. We had some big holes to fill at this position and now with Stephen’s addition, those holes have been more than filled. I’m most excited at the depth we have with three outstanding goalies. I expect that all three will bring a whole new level of competitiveness and given Stephen’s experience, I expect him to be a leader both on and off the ice."

Adds general manager Chris Hans: "Brodie and John are nice additions to our roster. They are experienced at the collegiate level and add much needed depth to our forward group. Prior to last season, Brodie and John enjoyed exceptional seasons on their respective junior clubs. While their offensive numbers were modest last season, I expect them to make significant contributions to our success next season. The addition of Stephen Wolf is a fantastic development for our team. He is an excellent goaltender who had impressive stats this past season with the Saints. His BCIHL experience cannot be overlooked either as I expect him to be a stabilizing influence to new goaltender recruits Mark Menicucci and Chris Solecki."

NAHL's Fresno Monsters Relocate to Wenatchee:

I'd say that any movement to have the Wenatchee Wild play out of the BCHL has to be dead, not only after the previous incarnation of the franchise was moved to Hidalgo, Texas by ownership, but now that the Fresno Monsters have relocated to the Eastern Washington community.

The travel won't be any better for Wenatchee - which was one of the reasons why former owner Bill Stewart was looking to join the BCHL - in fact it'll be worse because the team's closest geographic opponent (Fresno) has just become the Wild.

I'd think that if the current Wenatchee Wild (nee Fresno Monsters) want to join the BCHL, it's for the 2014-15 season at the earliest as they'd have to go through all the same procedures Stewart did. Namely approval from the NAHL, USA Hockey, BCHL Governors, Hockey Canada and BC Hockey. And of course, they'd need a solid agreement to play out of the Toyota Town Centre in Wenatchee.

Here's the latest on this story from The Wenatchee World newspaper (http://www.wenatcheeworld.com):

The Town Toyota Center board has approved a contract with the owner of the Fresno Monsters, a team that played in the same league as the Wenatchee Wild.

"We have hockey," board president Dustin Christensen said as about 80 fans applauded and shouted their approval.

"I will welcome them with open arms," said Harriet Arrants, a season ticket holder to Wenatchee Wild games for the last five years.

The relocation of the team must still be approved by the North American Hockey League's board of governors, which is meeting on Thursday and Friday. That approval is expected to be given.

The team, which is owned by David White and shootthepuck.inc, would take on the Wenatchee Wild name and logo. There are currently only three teams left in the division that the team will play in, including Fairbanks and Kenai, Alaska. There may be a realignment of the league's divisions to add more teams to the division.

Addressing the crowd, the arena's Manager Mark Miller said, "Hockey community, we heard you loud and clear that you want the Wenatchee Wild. ... The name and logo will be here."

He added that arena officials also knew that hockey fans wanted a team that played at the same level as the former team.

"We will continue our quest to bring home a Robertson Cup in the NAHL," he said, which brought applause and shouts of "Thank you!"

Miller and the arena's attorney, Pete Fraley, have been working for weeks to find a replacement team after negotiations to keep the former NAHL team in town reached a stalemate.

That team's president, Bill Stewart, announced last week that he was moving the team to Texas.

Miller said that the owner of the Fresno Monsters, David White, read a newspaper article about the contract problems with the Wild and contacted arena officials about his interest in moving the Monsters to Wenatchee. NAHL officials also contacted White after learning that the Wenatchee arena was shopping for a new team.

Wenatchee Mayor Frank Kuntz, who sits on the arena board, said White was offered the same contract that the board offered Stewart in March.

He said White "loves the facility, loves the fans and he wanted to be here."

While there were many teams interested in Wenatchee, Kuntz said White was "able to put a deal together faster than other teams. (League) deadlines were fast approaching, and we had to get this put together quick."

Of White, Kuntz said, "From all I've heard, he's a fantastic guy, self made in the fruit industry. I have all the confidence that he'll be successful here."

Some fans showed up to the meeting in their Wild jerseys, one waving a large flag with the Wild name and logo.

Lynn Coering of Wenatchee said she has been a season ticket holder and will continue to be one since the new team will also play tier 2 hockey. Many fans feared a lower tier 3 team would be brought in.

Arrants said Fresno has a reputation among local hockey fans for being dirty, but that may be because they were a chief rival of the wild.

She also said she hopes the players will continue to volunteer and be active in the community.

"I think those boys will be wonderfully happy in Wenatchee," she said.

Michelle McNiel: 664-7152
mcniel@wenatcheeworld.com

Coquitlam Express - Where Are They Now?

Matt Amado Jake Areshenko Clinton Atkinson Steven Axford Lee Baldwin Tyler Barr Matthew Bell Spencer Bennett James Bettauer John Bokla Taylor Bourne Cam Brodie Keegan Bruce Cody Campbell Luke Challier Jacob Charles Jared Cipparone Anthony Collins Justin Courtnall Paul Crowder Ilan Cumberbirch Colin De Jersey Paul De Jersey Simon Denis David Dotan Reid Edmondson Jared Eng Justin Faryna Carlo Finucci Paul Forster Jimmy Geerin Cole Gelley Sam Gemmell Max Grassi Jason Grecica Thomas Hardy Adam Hartley Dylan Herold Kyle Hughes Brad Hunt Matthew Hutchinson Mark Isherwood Matthew Ius David Jones Ilya Kravtchouk Tyler Krueger Andrew Ladd Mike Leidl Massimo Lamacchia Taylor Love Milan Lucic Mike Mackie-Kwist Rich Manley Jeff Martens Matt Mazzarolo Bruin McDonald Riley McIntosh Tyler McNeely Peter Merth Garrett Milan Trevor Milner Ben Murphy Ryan Niederkorn Mike Pao Michael Paolo Garrick Perry Alex Petan Brandon Pfeil Mike Piluso Mike Puddifant Jon Puskar Brad Reid Brodie Reid Kevin Richardson Matt Ridley Mark Santorelli Keith Seabrook Mark Soares Dave Simoes Ronnie Smith Jordan Soquila Marcus Sommerfeld Ryan Stanimir Connor Stephens Destry Straight Mike Towns Kyle Turris Alex Valenti Brent Vandenberg Jacob Verheyden Joe Vetere Sam Waterfield Patrick Wiercioch Nicholas Wong Brandon Yip G Robin Billingham G Mark Dekanich G Khaleed Devji G Kyle Jones G Harrison May

Monday, May 20, 2013

Chilliwack Chiefs - Where Are They Now?

Neeco Belanger Steve Birch Chris Blessing Dávid Bondra Blake Cosgrove Tyler Czuba Kody Dhaliwal Riley Emmerson Kevin Estrada Gabe Gauthier Malcolm Gould Shawn Horcoff Trevor Hunt Garet Hunt Matthew Hutchinson Nolan Julseth-White Vladislav Klochkov Jordan Kremyr Jason Krog Josh Lunden Shane Lust Kyle MacKinnon Brian Maloney Nathan Martz Tyler Miller Donald Nichols Darin Olver Marcello Ranallo David Rutherford Mark Santorelli Kit Sitterley Michael Spring Jeff Tambellini David Van Der Gulik Anderson White G Marco Emond

Surrey's Adam Tambellini & West Kelowna's David Pope To Attend 2013 NHL Scouting Combine:

Leading into next month's NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, two of the eight BCHL players ranked in the draft have been invited to take part in the annual Scouting Combine from May 27 - June 1 in Toronto. Surrey Eagles forward Adam Tambellini (ranked 42nd) and West Kelowna Warriors forward David Pope (ranked 67th) are both attending.

The Combine is split into two parts. An interview phase is May 27 - 30, followed by a fitness test May 31 and June 1 at the Toronto International Centre. The fitness portion is headed by Dr. Norman Gledhill and the staff at York University.

North American skaters
Rank - Player Team (League) Position
1 - Seth Jones Portland (WHL) D
2 - Nathan MacKinnon Halifax (QMJHL) C
3 - Jonathan Drouin Halifax (QMJHL) LW
4 - Darnell Nurse Sault Ste. Marie (OHL) D
5 - Sean Monahan Ottawa (OHL) C
6 - Hunter Shinkaruk Medicine Hat (WHL) C/LW
7 - Valentin Zykov Baie - Comeau (QMJHL) LW
8 - Frederik Gauthier Rimouski (QMJHL) C
9 - Mirco Mueller Everett (WHL) D
10 - Anthony Mantha Val - d'Or (QMJHL) RW
11 - Shea Theodore Seattle (WHL) D
12 - Ryan Pulock Brandon (WHL) D
13 - Zach Nastasiuk Owen Sound (OHL) RW
14 - Chris Bigras Owen Sound (OHL) D
15 - Bo Horvat London (OHL) C
16 - Ryan Hartman Plymouth (OHL) RW
17 - Kerby Rychel Windsor (OHL) LW
18 - Wiliam Carrier Cape Breton (QMJHL) LW
19 - Max Domi London (OHL) C/LW
20 - Curtis Lazar Edmonton (WHL) C/LW
21 - James Lodge Saginaw (OHL) C
22 - Nikita Zadorov London (OHL) D
23 - Samuel Morin Rimouski (QMJHL) D
24 - Ian McCoshen Waterloo (USHL) D
25 - Morgan Klimchuk Regina (WHL) LW
26 - Adam Erne Quebec (QMJHL) LW
27 - Joshua Morrissey Prince Albert (WHL) D
28 - Laurent Dauphin Chicoutimi (QMJHL) C
29 - Jon Hayden USA U - 18 (USHL) C
30 - Jason Dickinson Guelph (OHL) C
31 - Dillon Heatherington Swift Current (WHL) D
32 - Madison Bowey Kelowna (WHL) D
33 - Nicolas Petan Portland (WHL) C
34 - JT Compher USA U - 18 (USHL) LW
35 - Michael McCarron USA U - 18 (USHL) RW
36 - Oliver Bjorkstrand Portland (WHL) RW
37 - Jonathan - Ismael Diaby Victoriaville (QMJHL) D
38 - Justin Bailey Kitchener (OHL) RW
39 - Emile Poirier Gatineau (QMJHL) LW
40 - Brett Pesce New Hampshire (H - East) D
41 - Eric Roy Brandon (WHL) D
42 - Adam Tambellini Surrey (BCHL) C
43 - Jan Kostalek Rimouski (QMJHL) D
44 - Thomas Vanelli Minnetonka (High - Mn) D
45 - Connor Hurley Edina High (High - Mn) C
46 - Myles Bell Kelowna (WHL) LW
47 - Steven Santini USA U - 18 (USHL) D
48 - Nick Sorensen Quebec (QMJHL) RW
49 - Michael Downing Dubuque (USHL) D
50 - Yan Pavel Laplante PEI (QMJHL) C
51 - Gustav Olofsson Green Bay (USHL) D
52 - Gabryel Paquin - Boudreau Baie - Comeau (QMJHL) LW
53 - Keaton Thompson USA U - 18 (USHL) D
54 - Marc - Olivier Roy Blainville - Boisbriand (QMJHL) C
55 - Jordan Subban Belleville (OHL) D
56 - Ryan Fitzgerald Valley (EJHL) C
57 - Anthony Duclair Quebec (QMJHL) LW
58 - Nick Moutrey Saginaw (OHL) C/LW
59 - Mason Geertsen Vancouver (WHL) D
60 - Zachary Sanford Islanders (EJHL) LW
61 - Nicholas Baptiste Sudbury (OHL) RW
62 - Sean Malone USA U - 18 (USHL) C
63 - Ryan Kujawinski Kingston (OHL) C
64 - Teemu Kivihalme Burnsville (High - Mn) D
65 - Jackson Houck Vancouver (WHL) RW
66 - Tyler Lewington Medicine Hat (WHL) D
67 - David Pope West Kelowna (BCHL) LW
68 - Alexandre Coulombe Stanstead College (High - Qc) D
69 - Michell Wheaton Kelowna (WHL) D
70 - Hudson Fasching USA U - 18 (USHL) RW
71 - Remi Elie London (OHL) LW
72 - Kurt Etchegary Quebec (QMJHL) C
73 - Vincent Dunn Val - d'Or (QMJHL) C
74 - Dylan Labbe Shawinigan (QMJHL) D
75 - Anthony Florentino South Kent School (High - Ct) D
76 - Spenser Jensen Medicine Hat (WHL) D
77 - Avery Peterson Grand Rapids (High - Mn) C
78 - Ty Stanton Medicine Hat (WHL) D
79 - Jeremy Gregoire Baie - Comeau (QMJHL) C