Tuesday, December 24, 2013

CJHL Trade Freeze in Effect:

You may have noticed there haven't been any trades between teams in the Canadian Junior Hockey League for a while, specifically since December 10th.

The reason is a CJHL-wide trade freeze which prohibited inter-league trades from 6:00 am PST on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 to 9 am PST on Wednesday, January 1, 2014. The new regulation was approved at the CJHL Annual General Meeting back in May.

There were two trades just prior to the trade freeze, both which I posted about at the time. The deals saw Cowichan Valley acquire F Taylor Allen (95) and F Alexis Guilbault (95) from Whitecourt of the AJHL and Cégep de St-Hyacinthe Lauréats of the LHJAAAQ respectively while only subtracting F Ambrose Firkus (94) from the Capitals roster.

There is no official holiday trade freeze in the BCHL, but out of courtesy, players aren't usually traded so close to Christmas.

Once the CJHL trade freeze is lifted on January 1st, it's only nine days before the final trade deadline of the season, so I'd expect things to heat up during that time. Follow me on Twitter (@Brian_Wiebe) for all the latest moves and I'll post analysis of each deal here on the blog once they're confirmed by the teams or leagues involved.

This is likely my last post before Christmas, so I want to thank you for visiting this corner of the internet, I appreciate all of your support and readership during the past year. All the best to you and yours for a very Merry Christmas!