Tuesday, December 17, 2013

33 BCHL Alumni Featured on Great Northwest Showcase Team Rosters:

Once again this season, I'm looking incredibly forward to providing all of the play-by-play for the second edition of the Great Northwest Showcase coming up on Friday, January 3rd and Saturday, January 4th at the Bill Copeland Sports Centre in Burnaby.

The four team Showcase features three different levels of hockey: the host Simon Fraser University Clan of the BC Intercollegiate Hockey League, the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds of  CIS, and NCAA Division I teams in the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux and the Princeton University Tigers.

There's quite a number of story lines heading into the four game Showcase, including the fact that UND has 15 players on its roster who have been drafted by NHL teams, and I'll have more to post after Christmas, but for now I'd like to highlight the homecoming for 33 BCHL alumni featured.

There are a ton of familiar names taking part as 33 players who have skated at least one game in the BCHL are sprinkled on each team's roster. UBC leads the way with 11 BCHL alumni on its' roster, while SFU is next with 10, followed by UND and Princeton with six apiece.

If you'd like to get tickets any of the four games, they are going fast! And at $20 each, it's no surprise, but there are still a number available. If you go to this page: http://www.burnabymountainhockey.com/tickets.html and enter the promo code "Burnaby", you'll get 20% off the ticket price!

13 of 16 BCHL teams have an alumni taking part (Alberni Valley, Coquitlam, Merritt, Nanaimo, Powell River, West Kelowna, Salmon Arm, Prince George, Surrey, Victoria, Cowichan Valley, Penticton, Trail) while just four teams (Chilliwack, Vernon, Langley) won't have an alumni on the ice on January 3rd and 4th.

Here's a breakdown of players with BCHL experience taking part.

UBC (11)
Ilan Cumberbirch (Westside, Burnaby, Surrey)
Linden Saip (Surrey)
Kevin Smith (Victoria)
Wes Vannieuwenhuizen (Surrey)
Jason Yee (Victoria, Powell River)
Anthony Bardaro (Surrey)
Greg Fraser (Nanaimo)
Scott MacDonald (Salmon Arm, Westside)
Ben Schmidt (Powell River)
Cole Wilson (Westside)
Matt Wray (Powell River, Salmon Arm)

SFU (10)
Graeme Gordon (Salmon Arm, Merritt, Vernon)
Jared Eng (Victoria, Coquitlam)
Trevor Esau (Prince George)
Tyler Mah (Nanaimo, Vernon)
Yan Kalashnikov (Alberni Valley)
Josh McKissock (Salmon Arm, Coquitlam)
Trevor Milner (Burnaby)
Trent Murdoch (Williams Lake, Alberni Valley, Prince George)
Mike Sandor (Victoria, Alberni Valley)
Nick Sandor (Alberni Valley, Trail)

University of North Dakota (6)
Troy Stecher (Penticton)
Mark MacMillan (Alberni Valley, Penticton)
Mitch MacMillan (Powell River, Cowichan Valley, Alberni Valley)
Wade Murphy (Victoria, Penticton)
Brendan O'Donnell (Penticton)
Adam Tambellini (Vernon, Surrey)

Princeton University (6)
Ryan Benitez (Prince George)
Sean Bonar (Penticton)
Tom Kroshus (Westside)
Kevin Ross (Alberni Valley)
Marlon Sabo (Cowichan Valley, Alberni Valley)
Garrett Skrbich (Westside, Victoria, Cowichan Valley)