Sunday, November 17, 2013

This Week Sees Flurry of Trades in the BCHL:

It was a busy week on the BCHL transaction wire with eight trades involving 11 players, five leagues and 14 teams.

--------------

Chilliwack and Vernon got things started on the weekend, each with trades involving goaltenders. For the Chiefs, their trade saw them bring in a netminder while the Vipers moved a goalie out.

To Chillwack Chiefs:
G Spencer Tremblay (94) To Waywayseecappo Wolverines:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Chiefs website:

The Chilliwack Chiefs have acquired 19 year goaltender Spencer Tremblay from the Waywayseecappo Wolverines of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League in exchange for future considerations.

Chiefs Head Coach and GM Harvey Smyl on this latest transaction, “We have had a disappointing start to the season and have particularly struggled in our own end. So we felt we needed to make a change within our hockey club.” Smyl added,” Spencer comes to us highly recommended and from all reports is a very solid goaltender.”

As for the Chiefs new puck stopper, he is very happy to be in Chilliwack, “I have heard a lot of positive feedback about the Chiefs Hockey Club, the fans are extremely passionate and the players I have spoken to say Harv is a great coach to play for.”

--------------

To Dauphin Kings:
G Michael Stiliadis (94) To Vernon Vipers:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Vipers:

The Vernon Vipers hockey club has traded 19 year old goaltender Michael Stiliadis to the MJHL Dauphin Kings for Future Considerations.  In three games with the Vipers Stiliadis went 1-2 with a 2.87 GAA after being aquired on October 10th from the OJHL Georgetown Raiders.

The Vipers thank Michael for his time with the Vipers and wish him all the best with the Kings.

--------------

To Dryden Ice Dogs:
F Adam Smith (94) To Coquitlam Express:
Future Considerations

Here's Coquitlam's release on the trade:

The Coquitlam Express have traded forward Adam Smith to the Dryden Ice Dogs of the Superior International Hockey League.

In return the Express receive future considerations.

Express Head Coach Barry Wolff says "we wish Smitty nothing but sucess and good luck".

--------------

To Penticton Vees:
F Brendan Lamont (94) To Trail Smoke Eaters:
Future Considerations

Here's the Vees take on the trade:

The Penticton Vees Jr. ‘A’ Hockey Club has acquired forward Brendan Lamont (94) from the Trail Smoke Eaters for future considerations, the team announced Wednesday.

In a corresponding move, the team placed forward Josh Blanchard (96) on the 60 day Injured Reserved, as the result of a lower-body injury sustained on the Vees recent Island Division road trip.

President, General Manager and Head Coach Fred Harbinson says Lamont fits nicely in their line-up, “We have played a lot of hard fought battles against Brendan over the past few seasons; he brings experience, speed and a relentless work ethic.”

Lamont, 19, was in his first season with the Smoke Eaters after an off-season trade from the Merritt Centennials landed him in the West Kootenays. Lamont had five goals and 11 points to go along with 14 penalty-minutes with the Smoke Eaters this season. Prior to Trail, the Langley, BC native spent two seasons in Merritt, where he amassed 12 goals and 37 points and 97 penalty-minutes in 115 regular season games in Cents’ colours.

Lamont will wear number 14 and makes his Vees debut Friday, November 15th when the Vees pay a visit to the West Kelowna Warriors at Royal LePage Place.  Lamont plays his first home game one night later, on November 16th, when the Vees host the Nanaimo Clippers at the SOEC.

And here's the Smoke Eaters release on the deal:

Trail has acquired future considerations from the Vees for forward Brendan Lamont (94).

“Brendan had asked to be a bit closer to home and we were willing to accommodate his request,” said Smoke Eaters head coach/general manager Nick Deschenes.

Lamont, from Langley, BC, scored 11 points (5-6) in 24 games as a Smoke Eater. He was acquired by Trail this past June after spending two seasons with the Merritt Centennials.

--------------

To Merritt Centennials:
D Curtis Toneff (93) To Trail Smoke Eaters:
D Dylan Bowen (95) + Future Considerations

Here's the Cents release regarding the trade:

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce the acquisition of defenceman Curtis Toneff (93) from the Trail Smoke Eaters of the BCHL in exchange for defenceman Dylan Bowen (95).

Toneff, 20, brings a veteran presence to an already-solid defensive core, having played over 100 games at the Junior A level. The Nanaimo, BC product spent time in the SJHL, MJHL, and with Alberni Valley, Westside and Trail of the BCHL. Most recently, Toneff has been a force on the Smoke Eaters blueline, recording 13 points in 24 games.

"We felt that we needed to add a different element to our defense core and believe that Curtis is the right type of player for our group." said Cents GM & Head Coach Luke Pierce. "He adds more experience and a certain level of physicality and grit. He has had a productive season so far offensively and can contribute when needed in that capacity."

Pierce gave strong kudos to Bowen for his time in the Nicola Valley, "Dylan was a great person here in Merritt and we thank him for his contributions to our club. We think he has a bright future in the game and will hopefully have a more prominent role in Trail with the direction they are taking."

"We look forward to welcoming Curtis to Merritt this weekend and are excited to see him in a Centennial jersey." Pierce concluded.

For further information, please contact Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce at 250-378-3607 or email luke@merrittcentennials.com

Trail also posted a release about the trade:

The Smoke Eaters acquired defenseman Bowen and future considerations from Merritt for fellow rearguard Curtis Toneff (93).

Bowen, a native of Lumby, BC, joins the Smoke Eaters after spending his rookie season with the Salmon Arm SilverBacks and KIJHL’s North Okanagan Knights in 2012-13. In 18 games with the Centennials this season, Bowen recorded 2 goals and 5 points.

“Dylan’s a guy we’re confident can handle a significant role with our club,” Deschenes said. “The move also helps us get younger as we go forward.”

Toneff, from West Vancouver, leaves Trail with 13 points (4-9) in 24 games played.

--------------

To Victoria Grizzlies:
F Matt Martin (93) To Yarmouth Mariners:
D Alex Adams (93) + Future Considerations

Neither team has posted a release on either of their websites about the trade, but it is posted on the Maritime Hockey League's transactions page and the Grizzlies confirmed it on their Twitter account.

--------------

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
F Michael Roberts (95) + Future Considerations

To Surrey Eagles:
F Luke Sandler (93) This deal isn't confirmed on either team's website, but Sandler is on the Eagles roster while Roberts is on the Smoke Eaters roster. And the trade is also posted on the BCHL's transactions portion of the league's website.

To St. Michael's Buzzers:
D Luca Doctor (93) To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
Future Considerations

The Bulldogs posted the release on their website:

The ‘Dogs trade 1994-born defenseman Luca Doctor to the St. Michaels Buzzers of the OJHL for future considerations. Doctor was acquired back in early September but struggled to find his game.