Thursday, October 24, 2013

West Kelowna Brings Back Reid Simmonds in Trade With Okotoks:

A familiar face is back with the West Kelowna Warriors after Head Coach and GM Rylan Ferster swung a trade to acquire forward Reid Simmonds (93) from the Okotoks Oilers of the Alberta Junior Hockey League for future considerations.

Simmonds was traded by the Warriors back in June to the Fort McMurray Oil Barons for defenseman Taylor Graham. Fort Mac then moved the Calgary native to Okotoks before the 2013-14 season started.

Now, after 106 games in West Kelowna over two seasons, Simmonds is back playing at Royal LePage Place.

To West Kelowna Warriors:
F Reid Simmonds (93) To Okotoks Oilers:
Future Considerations

There's no release on either team's website regarding the trade, but West-K play-by-play man Jon Zacks posted this on his blog yesterday:

We’ll start with a trade that brings Reid Simmonds back to Warriors Country.  The Calgary product spent his first two seasons of junior with the Tribe before a deal that sent him to the AJHL this summer (for Taylor Graham).  Simmonds has now been acquired from Okotoks for future considerations and he’s on his way back to the Okanagan as I write this.

Those who have followed this team over the past couple of seasons will know how valuable Simmonds can be.  The now 20 year-old is a terrific competitor who plays the game, as Coach Ferster always puts it, ‘the right way.’

He doesn’t score a ton of goals, but does have a knack for scoring big ones (like the game 4 OT winner vs. Pen last year).  ‘Simmer’ is a pro, who works hard every day and wears a smile in the community as well.  I’m guessing he’ll draw onto the line with with Matt Anholt and Tyson Dallman, giving West K a shut-down unit that will be simply awful to play against.