Friday, October 11, 2013

Evolution 107.9 FM to Broadcast SFU Men's Hockey Home Games:

I'm beyond excited to post this piece of news as the radio station that serves as a major part of the BCIT Radio Arts & Entertainment Program, which I work within, is the new radio voice of the SFU Clan Men's Hockey Team.

Although I also do the broadcasts for SFU Hockey, mine are part of the pay-per-view audio and video on FastHockey.com. Our students' broadcast will be the only one available on terrestrial radio in Metro Vancouver.

Here's the joint media release from Evolution 107.9 FM and SFU Clan Men's Hockey:

BCIT’s Evolution 107.9 FM, broadcasting from the Burnaby Campus, and the Simon Fraser University Clan Men’s Hockey Team have announced a one-year broadcast agreement for the 2013-14 BC Intercollegiate Hockey League season.

Heard locally in Burnaby and Metro Vancouver, Evolution 107.9 FM will carry all 12 regular season home games for the Clan this season. All games will also be streamed online and available internationally via www.evolution1079.com and iTunes radio. Fans can also listen via mobile device with the free Evolution 107.9 app for Android and iPhone.

As part of the agreement, Evolution 107.9 FM will also have SFU men’s hockey players, coaches, and staff on the air for weekly features and interviews.

While play-by-play announcing, colour commentary, and broadcast hosting for each game will predominantly be covered by second-year students in BCIT’s Radio Arts and Entertainment program, the opportunity is also available to first-year students as well.

“We’re thrilled about the opportunity for our BCIT Radio Arts and Entertainment students to gain valuable experience broadcasting SFU Clan hockey games,” said Evolution 107.9 Operations Manager Brian Wiebe. “Being involved in the Burnaby community is a core value that both the SFU Men’s Hockey Team and Evolution 107.9 share and we hope this agreement helps to continue the good relationship that already exists between the two schools.”

“Both BCIT and SFU are part of a long and proud history for the City of Burnaby,” he continued. “Our Radio Arts and Entertainment Program students collaborating with Head Coach Mark Coletta and the Clan Men’s Hockey Team hopefully continues that tradition for many years to come.”

“Providing an opportunity for local students to gain experience that will help them in their professional careers is one of the goals of our program,” says SFU Director of Hockey Operations Chris Munshaw. “This is something we have worked towards with many SFU and BCIT students individually over the years, and we feel that this year we have a new exciting opportunity to further that commitment by involving the BCIT programs directly.”

Evolution 107.9 FM signed on in March of 2006 and is the campus radio station at BCIT. The radio format is adult album alternative and consists mostly of independent, rock, and adult alternative. The station is staffed entirely by second-year students in BCIT’s Radio Arts & Entertainment and Broadcast & Online Journalism Programs.

SFU Men’s Hockey was re-established in 2004 and provides an opportunity for Junior hockey players to further their hockey careers while pursuing a post-secondary education. The program aims to raise the profile of collegiate hockey in BC while supporting and giving back to the local community.

1 comment:

  1. As we know that hockey is the most likely game in this world. The main reason behind this is that it’s a team game and we can only get success with the performance of whole team not with a single person. In this game it is very important that the all concentration of player should be on hockey ball because it is only the source through which we can get more goals from our opposite team and can win the match. Hockey require more practicing as well as more training. For more details visit: - http://www.tuckerhockey.com/upcomingprograms.asp

    ReplyDelete