Monday, August 12, 2013

Penticton - Winnipeg Trade:

The Penticton Vees added some veteran experience to their blueline with the acquisition of 18-year-old defenseman Paul Stoykewych from the MJHL's Winnipeg Blues for soon-to-be 20-year-old forward Jordan McCallum and future considerations.

Despite being a 1995 birth year, Stoykewych has extensive junior A experience, having played two seasons already in the MJHL. Brayden Park is the lone returning blueliner for Penticton, so it's not really a surprise that GM and Head Coach Fred Harbinson acquired another defenseman. By subtracting a 20-year-old player in McCallum, it also gives Harbinson another roster spot if he wants to add a 20-year-old later in the season, without having to remove one from his roster.

To Penticton Vees:
D Paul Stoykewych (95)

To Winnipeg Blues:
F Jordan McCallum (93)

+ Future Considerations

Here's the Vees release about the deal:

The Penticton Vees Jr. ‘A’ Hockey Club has acquired defenseman Paul Stoykewych (95) from the Winnipeg Blues of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League (MJHL), in exchange for the playing rights of forward Jordan McCallum (93) and future considerations.

Stoykewych, 18, spent the past two seasons in Winnipeg where he played in 131 career games with the Blues, picking up 10 goals and 60 points. Stoykewych was a member of the silver medal winning Team Canada West at the 2012 World Junior ‘A’ Challenge in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia; a roster that included four Vees. The rear-guard was named to the MJHL’s All-Rookie team in 2012 after collecting 27 points in 54 games. Prior to the MJHL, Stoykewych played 43 games with the Winnipeg Wild in the Manitoba Major Midget circuit, where he compiled six goals and 18 points.

Stoykewych is committed to play for the Western Michigan Broncos in 2014, the same school where former Vees Sam Mellor, Thomas Nitsche and Mike Rebry are applying their trade. The Vees organization is thrilled to welcome Paul and his family to Penticton and the South Okanagan

Paul Stoykewych-Defenseman
Birth: Winnipeg, MB Date: 95-03-09
HT: 6’2 WT: 200 Shoots: Left

And from the Blues website:

Winnipeg Blues Head Coach/GM Don Macgillivray announced the club has traded 18 year old defenseman Paul Stoykewych to the Penticton Vees of the BCHL in exchange for 19 year old forward Jordan McCallum and futures.
In two seasons with the Blues, Stoykewych tallied 10 goals and 42 assists in 109 games.

In return, the Blues acquire a 6'4, 190 pound forward in McCallum.  Last season with the Vees, McCallum lit the lamp six times while adding four assists.

The 19 year old is excited about heading to the Blues."I was a little surprised about the trade, but after it all sank in I realized I'm going to a great organization,  and with hard work and positivity, I will make this work out for myself and my new team."

It will be McCallum's first time in Manitoba when he arrives and is excited about a fresh start.

"I'm heading to a brand new organization, it'll be my first time in a billet home, as well as my first time in Manitoba.  The new experiences will definitely be fun for me."

The Blues would like to welcome Jordan to the organization.

Winnipeg would also like to thank Paul for all his contributions to the club the past two seasons, and wish him all the best in Penticton.