Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Merritt - Powell River Trade:

For the third time in 22 months, Merritt Centennials GM and Head Coach Luke Pierce hooked up with his counterpart in Powell River which sees Kent Lewis trade 18-year-old forward James Neil to the Nicola Valley for future considerations.

The Cents lost a significant amount of depth at forward due to graduating players and college commitments, and Neil likely gets a chance to step into a top six role with Merritt.

To Merritt Centennials:
F James Neil (95) To Powell River Kings:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Cents:

The Merritt Centennials have completed a trade with the Powell River Kings of the BCHL Island Divison.

The Cents have acquired forward James Neil (95) from the Kings in exchange for future considerations.

The six foot Neil brings 2 years of BCHL experience. He had 20 points in 50 games with Powell River last season.

"We are excited to add James to our roster this season," says Centennial Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce.  "He comes with two years of BCHL experience which will help make up for some of the experience we are losing with departures from last year's team.  James has great size and has proven in his past that he can be an elite scorer."

"We are confident that a fresh start here in Merritt will give his career a boost and we look forward to having him join our group at our upcoming camp on the 19th," Pierce added.

Centennials training camp begins Monday August 19th at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena.

And the Kings:

The Powell River Kings made a trade Monday, sending 1995-born forward James Neil to the Merritt Centennials in exchange for future considerations.

Neil, from White Rock, came to the Kings as a 16-year old in 2011 from the BCMML's Valley West Hawks. In 113 regular season and playoff games with the Kings, Neil scored 12 goals and added 22 assists.

The Kings would like to thank James for his contributions on and off the ice for the Kings organization and the Powell River community. The team wishes him the best with the Merritt Centennials.