Saturday, August 10, 2013

Catching Up:

I know it's been a slow time on the blog, it's because for the last couple of weeks, I've been tied up doing media relations for the 2013 Odlum Brown VanOpen Presented By Invesco tennis tournament. If you live in BC and have never been, I'd highly recommend it. These are top level international and local tennis players coming to play matches right in our own backyard. The website has all the info: http://www.vanopen.com.

-------

Rather than type up a post for every trade that's happened since my last post, I decided to just do one post summarizing the most recent deals I haven't covered yet on the blog. There won't be too much analysis because some of these trades are over a month old now, but I will include the player's stats and any official releases the teams put out regarding the trade.

There have been a few other deals this week, but because I have a bit more time on my hands, I will get back into what you normally see on the blog here with those deals in a couple of other posts.

-------

To Dauphin Kings:
D Eric Walker (93) To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Bulldogs:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs announced via Twitter two days ago that the team has traded 1993-born defenceman Eric Walker to the Dauphin Kings of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League for future considerations.

Check out Scott McKenzie's article in the Alberni Valley Times for more on the deal: http://www.avtimes.net/sports/local/bulldogs-trade-eric-walker-1.392122. However, Walker began the 2011/12 season expecting to play for Northern Michigan before being signed by the Vancouver Giants, not 2012/13 for Western Michigan as stated in the article.

And the release from the Kings:

With the loss of graduating 20 year olds, Emerson Hrynyk, Shamus Graham, Connor Faupel, and Riley Miller from last season`s defence unit, Kings Head Coach/ GM Marlin Murray swung a deal with the Alberni Valley Bulldogs for veteran defenceman Eric Walker.

“Eric Walker is a big bodied, mobile defenceman that has played at a very high level.” said Kings Head Coach/GM Marlin Murray. “He is very good in his own end and makes a great first pass. Walker will add size, grit and experience to our back end and we’re excited to have him.”

Walker, who hails from Castlegar, BC and split time last year between the Alberni Valley Bulldogs in the BCHL and the Portland Winterhawks in the WHL. The 6’2” 194lb defenceman has played a total of 52 games at the WHL level splitting time between the Vancouver Giants, Swift Current Broncos and Portland Winterhawks. Walker also played 143 games in the BCHL where he picked up 10 goals and 29 assists for 39 points and 161 penalty minutes.

The Dauphin Kings would like to welcome Eric and his family to the Kings organization.

-------

To Powell River Kings:
D Aidan Wright (93) + Future Considerations

To Vernon Vipers:
Future Considerations

To Kingston Voyageurs:

F Braeden Russell (93) Here's the release from the Kings:

The Powell River Kings have acquired 93-born defenseman Aidan Wright from the Kingston Voyageurs in the Ontario Junior Hockey League. The deal is for forward Braeden Russell, who the Kings acquired from the Vernon Vipers in a separate deal for future considerations.

Wright, 20, has played the last 3 years for Kingston in the OJHL where he suited up in 120 regular season games, recording 10 goals and 29 points. He’s had two long playoff runs with the Voyageurs in both 11/12, where the team lost in the conference final, and 12/13. He scored 4 points in 32 post-season games for Kingston. Wright also won a silver medal at the 2011 World Junior A Challenge with Canada East, who were beaten by Kings Sean Maguire, Evan Richardson, Kent Lewis and Canada West in the final.

Wright considers himself a stay-at-home defenseman. “I like to take care of my own end, I’m hard working and I pride myself on not taking shifts off” says Wright. “I’ve heard I play a lot like Josh Gorges from the Montreal Canadiens. He’s not the biggest guy, he’s the most skilled guy, but he’s a hard working guy and takes care of his own end first, and he is the leader in that organization, so I pride myself in playing a lot like Josh Gorges.”

Head Coach and GM of the Kings, Kent Lewis, says Wright’s experience is something the Kings targeted.

“We’re going to get a player that can lead on the ice, but most importantly be a strong presence in the dressing room” says Lewis. “He’ll be a player who can also practice what he preaches, in similarity to Chris Williams who we had a few years ago.”

The 5’11, 190lb product of Wawa, Ontario near Lake Superior is excited to come west for his final year of junior hockey.

“I know it’s a good program, I’ve done my research” says Wright. “Everything I’ve looked at has been great, I’m really looking forward to going out there and I can’t wait to get started. Powell River has such a good history, and such a good program, for me it was a no-brainer, and when I got the call with Powell River being interested, I had to do it and it was something that was a good fit for me.”

The research was far from one-way, with the Kings doing their homework on Wright too, talking with scouts and contacts in Ontario.

“We’re going to get a player who’s in his final year, he wants to win, and we were a destination where he wanted to go” says Lewis, who believes this move will inspire others on the team to push harder.

“Learning from our success, and most notably our failures in league finals, we haven’t buried the puck when we’ve outplayed opponents, and we really need to work on that” says Lewis. “We need guys to come in here and be pressed to work on that, and to deliver. Aidan is going to bring us accountability by playing the right way. He’s a great kid, he’s excited to be coming and we’re excited to get him.”

Wright will be in Powell River for main camp in late August. The BCHL season begins in Chilliwack on September 7th, against the Chiefs.

And here's the Vipers release:

The Vipers continued to address their surplus of 20-year-olds by sending forward Braedan Russell to the Powell River Kings in exchange for future considerations Wednesday.

“He’s a good kid, but we’re high on 20-year-olds and we had to start making adjustments,” said Vipers’ head coach Jason Williamson.

A highly touted prospect coming into last season, Russell struggled to find his way with the Vipers after injuring his wrist in a pre-season scrap. The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Oakville, Ont. product finished with two goals and five assists in 25 games.

“He never got off on the right foot here,” said Williamson. “Not his fault. If he wasn’t a 20-year-old, absolutely we’d keep him.”

-------

To Surrey Eagles:
D Kade Pilton (94) To Victoria Grizzlies:
F Stefan Burzan (94)
Here's the release from the Eagles:

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club announced on Wednesday that the team has acquired defenseman Kade Pilton ('94) and future considerations from the Victoria Grizzlies in exchange for forward Stefan Burzan ('94).

"We hope that getting a big body on the back end that can skate and has some experience will help us this coming season," said Eagles President, Head Coach and GM Peter Schaefer of Pilton. "We hope he can be a nice compliment to some of our smaller puck moving defensemen."

Pilton split the 2012-2013 season with the Regina Pats of the WHL and the Grizzlies. The Parksville native put up three points in 27 games in Regina before appearing in 12 regular season games with Victoria, tallying five points. Pilton had two points in six playoff games with the Grizzlies who lost to the Alberni Valley Bulldogs in the Island Division Final.

Burzan, who hails from Surrey, played 51 regular season games for the Eagles last year, scoring six goals and 10 assists. In the post-season, he appeared in 19 games during Surrey's run to the RBC Cup Semi-Final, posting two points. Burzan has also spent time in the WHL as he appeared in two games for the Seattle Thunderbirds in the 2011-2012 season.

The Eagles would like to welcome Kade to the organization while wishing Stefan all the best in his future endeavours.

-------

To Prince George Spruce Kings:
G Alex Murray (93)
To Burlington Cougars:
Future Considerations

Here's the Spruce Kings release about the deal:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) are pleased to announce the acquisition of goaltender Alex Murray from the Burlington Cougars of the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL) in exchange for future considerations.

20 year old Alex Murray is 6'1" and 180lbs. He played the last 2 seasons for Burlington. Last season Alex had a 19-13-1 record in 35 games played with a 3.28 goals against average and a .912 save percentage.

"Alex is a technically strong, veteran goaltender who is really looking forward to coming to the BCHL, and particularly to Prince George, to achieve his goal of obtaining an NCAA Div. 1 scholarship," said Spruce Kings General Manager Mike Hawes. "We will be looking for big things from Alex as he continues a long run of outstanding goalies to come through our program over the years."

"I've heard really good things about the BCHL and about the Spruce Kings," said Alex Murray. "I'm really looking forward to getting out there in August for training camp. I'm very excited and can't wait to take advantage of this opportunity."

Murray will join other new recruits and returning players for the start of the Spruce Kings main training camp August 23-25 in the Prince George Coliseum.

For more information contact the Spruce Kings office at 250.564.1747.

-------

To Penticton Vees:
F Tim Moore (94) F Ben Dalpe (94) To Pembroke Lumber Kings:
Future Considerations

Neither the Vees nor Lumber Kings have posted anything on the trades, but both are posted on the BCHL webpage under "Transactions":

The Penticton Vees Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights to Ben Dalpe(94)(F) from Pembrooke Lumber Kings of the CCHL in exchange for Future Considerations.

The Penticton Vees Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights of Tim Moore(94)(F) from the Pembrooke Lumber Kings in exchange for Future Considerations.

-------

To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
Panayotis Pantziris (93)
To North York Rangers:
Future Considerations

Neither the Capitals nor Rangers have posted anything on the trades, but it is posted on the BCHL webpage under "Transactions":

The Cowichan Valley Capitals have acquired the CJHL playing rights of Panayotis Pantziris(93)(D) from the North York Rangers Hockey club of the OJHL in exchange for Future Considerations.

-------

To Penticton Vees:
D Patrick Sexton (94) To Smith Falls Bears:
Future Considerations

There hasn't been anything about the trade released by either the Vees or Bears, but the following appeared in the July 18th edition of the Penticton Western News:

The Penticton Vees have acquired Patrick Sexton, brother of former Vees forward Ben Sexton, from the Smith Falls Bears for future considerations. The deal for the defenceman was completed on July 16. Vees general manager Fred Harbinson said Sexton brings junior A experience and comes from a great hockey family. “Ben was a hard worker with a high compete level and Pat will be the same,” said Harbinson. “He put up some good offensive numbers.” In his final season with the Bears, Sexton scored 10 goals and finished with  36 points in 62 games in the Central Canada Hockey League.

-------

To Vernon Vipers:
Future Considerations

To Georgetown Raiders:
F Liam Board (93)
This is the news from the Vipers website:

The Vernon Vipers appear to have fully addressed their surplus of 20-year-old players.

Head coach/GM Jason Williamson dealt 1993-born forward Liam Board to the Georgetown Raiders of the OJHL for future considerations Wednesday afternoon. The move leaves Vernon with six 20-year-old players, the maximum allowed by the B.C. Hockey League.

Board, a Burlington, Ont. native, recorded five goals and 10 assists in 33 games with Vernon. He started the season with the Prince George Spruce Kings, where he posted 5-9-14 in 23 games.

The Vipers' remaining 20s include forwards Colton Sparrow and Brendan Persley, defencemen Jason Bird, Josh Bryan and Ryan Renz, and netminder Austin Smith.

-------

To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
F Simon Brosseau (95)

To Kemptville 73's:
Future Considerations

Again, neither team has posted anything about the trade on either of their websites, but it is listed under "Transactions" on the BCHL website:

The Cowichan Valley Capitals Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights of Simon Brosseau(95)(F) from the Kemptville 73's Hockey Club of the CCHL in exchange for Future Considerations.