Thursday, July 18, 2013

Surrey - Oakville Trade:

Arguably the biggest trade of the off-season is officially four trades, but it breaks down to two teams in two leagues dealing with each other.

The trades are posted individually on the BCHL website

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights of Patrick Chore(93)F) from the Oakville Blades of the OJHL in exchange for the CJHL playing rights of Michael Santaguida(93)(G) and Future Considerations

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights of Eric Chore(93)(F) from the Oakville Blades of the OJHL in exchange for the CJHL playing rights of Michael Stenerson(93)(F) and Future Considerations

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights of Nathan Renouf(94)(F) from the Oakville Blades of the OJHL in exchange for the CJHL playing rights of Glen Ferguson(94)(G) and Future Considerations

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club has acquired the CJHL playing rights of Jonah Renouf(94)(F) from the Oakville Blades of the OJHL in exchange for the CJHL playing rights of Devon Toews(94)(D) and Future Considerations

But it really breaks down to the fact that the Surrey Eagles have acquired two sets of twin forwards in Patrick and Eric Chore and Jonah and Nathan Renouf from the Oakville Blades of the OJHL. The only player off the Eagles roster headed to the Blades is 19-year-old goaltender Glenn Ferguson as all of the other players from Surrey are headed to play NCAA hockey this September.

If they do decided for whatever reason to return to junior A hockey, 20-year-old goalie Michael Santaguida, 20-year-old forward Michael Stenerson and 19-year-old defenseman Devon Toews' CJHL rights belong to Oakville. My guess is that the future considerations in the deal are monetary from Surrey, but there's been no confirmation of that.

To Surrey:
F Nathan Renouf (94) F Jonah Renouf (94) F Patrick Chore (93) F Eric Chore (93) To Oakville:
G Glenn Ferguson (94) G Michael Santaguida (93) F Michael Stenerson (93) D Devon Toews (94) + Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Eagles on the deal:

Surrey, BC - The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club announced on Monday that the team has acquired forwards Jonah Renouf ('94), Nathan Renouf ('94), Patrick Chore ('93) and Eric Chore ('93) from the Oakville Blades of the Ontario Junior Hockey League in exchange for goaltender Glenn Ferguson ('94), the playing rights to Devon Toews ('94), Michael Santaguida ('93) and Michael Stenerson ('93) and future considerations.

"We've lost some forwards from last year's team to NCAA schools, so we're excited to be acquiring some great skill guys who have put up great numbers in Ontario," said Eagles President, General Manager and Head Coach Peter Schaefer. "We hope they'll help out our power play as well, and we're very excited to have these young men join our organization."

The Renouf brothers hail from Mississauga, Ontario. Jonah finished second in OJHL scoring in the 2012-2013 season with 29 goals and 65 assists in 53 games while Nathan was sixth in league scoring, tallying 21 goals and 56 assists in 54 games. In the playoffs, the Renoufs combined for 11 points in six games as the Blades were eliminated by the North York Rangers in the first round. Both brothers have committed to attend Quinnipiac University for the 2014-2015 season.

The Chores are Kelowna natives who will return to their home province to play for the Eagles. Both brothers spent time with the North Okanagan Knights of the KIJHL for parts of two seasons from 2010-2012 and both had stints in the BCHL before heading to Ontario to start the 2012-2013 season. Patrick played 37 games for the Prince George Spruce Kings in 2011-2012 while Eric has suited up in 10 BCHL games split between the Spruce Kings and the Vernon Vipers.

Ferguson heads to Ontario after appearing in nine games for the Birds in the 2012-2013 season, posting a record of 4-5-0. While their playing rights have been transferred, Stenerson, Toews and Santaguida have all completed their junior careers and will be starting at NCAA schools in the fall.

The Eagles would like to welcome Jonah, Nathan, Patrick and Eric to the organization while wishing Glenn the best of luck in his future endeavours.