Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Merritt - Trail Trade:

For the second time in two days, Trail Smoke Eaters GM and Head Coach Bill Birks swung a trade and for the second straight day, he's added to his forward depth.

Meanwhile, Merritt has added to an already solid defense corps returning for 2013-14 as the deal sees the Centennials acquire blueliner Shane Poulsen (94) from the Smoke Eaters for forward Brendan Lamont (94).

With the trade, the Cents have a group of defensemen that includes Poulsen, Dane Birks, Dylan Chanter, Tyler Martin, Charlie Donlin and John Saunders. Meanwhile, the addition of Lamont and Brodyn Nielsen augments a forward group for the Smokies that includes eligible returnees Austin Adduono, Scott Davidson, Mitch Foyle, Bryce Knapp, Jesse Knowler, Jake Lucchini, Luke Sandler and Adam Wheeldon.

To Merritt:
D Shane Poulsen (94)
To Trail:
F Brendan Lamont (94)
Here's the release from the Centennials website:

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce the acquisition of 19-year-old defenseman Shane Poulsen from the Trail Smoke Eaters in exchange for 18-year-old forward Brendan Lamont.

Poulsen played the last season and a half with the Smoke Eaters, compiling 33 points on nine goals and 24 assists in 73 games. He also had 64 penalty minutes. Prior to making the jump to the BCHL, Poulsen, who's from Kamloops, notched four goals and 19 assists in 64 career KIJHL games with the Kamloops Storm.

"We are very excited about the addition of Shane. He is an intelligent puck moving defenseman who we believe will fit seamlessly into our system.," said Cents GM and Head Coach Luke Pierce.

Pierce continued, "Shane will add to what is already turning out to be a very deep core on our blueline. On behalf of the Centennials, I'd like to welcome Shane to Merritt and look forward to seeing him in camp in August."

"I want to thank Brendan for two great years here in Merritt, he'll definitely be missed," Pierce added. "He was a fan favourite and a great member of our community and organization. We wish Brendan all the best in Trail and know he'll be an asset to the Smoke Eaters."