Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Former Victoria Grizzlies Defenseman Cole Gelley Second SFU Commitment For 2013-14:

(Cole Gelley as a member of the Surrey Eagles in 2009-10)

D Cole Gelley (91)

This is posted on the SFU Hockey website:

The Simon Fraser University Men’s Ice Hockey team is pleased to announce that defenceman Cole Gelley has committed to join the team for the 2013/2014 season.

Gelley played five seasons in the BCHL with the Surrey Eagles, the Coquitlam Express and his most recent, the Victoria Grizzlies. Known for his skating ability, the defenceman can also be an offensive contributor. Gelley saw his best points per game ratio in 2010-2011 with the Coquitlam Express where he notched 14 points in 36 games.

“We knew after the finals last year that the defensive part of our game was going to have to get better,” says SFU Head Coach Mark Coletta. “Adding a proven 4 year Junior A defenceman to our lineup was one of our goals this offseason. Cole is a great skater and can chip in offensively, so we expect him to be a strong player in the BCIHL and are very pleased to have him wearing the SFU jersey.”

The blueliner isn’t afraid to drop the gloves and compiled 79 penalty minutes in 149 career BCHL games. In his most recent season with the Grizzlies, Gelley had 15 penalty minutes in just 12 games played. Cole says he is “looking forward to get his university hockey career started with a great group of guys, an awesome coaching staff, nice facility in Bill Copeland Arena, and not to mention a highly sought after academic school in SFU.”

Describing himself as a hard worker and a play-maker, Gelley is always looking to make the players around him better. With his first SFU season right around the corner, Gelley says he wants to “win the regular season and go on and win a BCIHL championship.”

Gelley is the second player to commit to SFU for the 2013/2014 season. Further announcements will be made in the coming weeks. For more information, please visit www.sfuhockey.com

Cole Gelley Quick Stats:
Age: 22 - Position: D - Shoots: L
Height: 6’0” - Weight: 180 lbs
Hometown: North Vancouver - Former Team: Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL, Junior “A”)