Saturday, June 8, 2013

Cowichan Valley - Carleton Place Trade:

Officially I think this may be a trade involving not only Cowichan Valley and Carleton Place of the CCHL, but also the Victoria Grizzlies and Prince George Spruce Kings, although that hasn't been confirmed.

The trade as posted by both Cowichan Valley and Carleton Place is that the Capitals have acquired forward Myles Powell (94) from the Canadians for future considerations. Powell played last season with Victoria and committed to RIT earlier this year. Initially it was thought that Powell would head to RIT this September, but with this trade and Cowichan announcing his acquisition, my guess is that the college commitment is deferred for a year.

I do wonder how Powell's rights ended up with Carleton Place though. When the Canadians tweeted earlier this week that they had traded Powell to Cowichan, I asked them how they got his rights from Victoria and they said it was part of the Shayne Morrissey trade back on October 2nd. The details of that deal were Morrissey to PG for Alec Butcher and future considerations.

Meanwhile, the Spruce Kings were owed futures from the Grizzlies as part of the Fitzgerald triplets trade from August 8th. My guess is those futures were Powell from Victoria to PG and then he was also the futures from PG to Carleton Place, which in turn traded him to Cowichan Valley.

So again, none of this is confirmed other than the fact that Powell ended up with the Canadians by way of Prince George and now he's been traded to the Capitals.

So for now, the deal looks like this:

To Cowichan Valley:
F Myles Powell (94) To Carleton Place:
Future Considerations

Here's the article from the Caps website:

The Cowichan Capitals are extremely pleased to announce that they have acquired the playing rights of Myles Powell from the Carleton Place Canadians.

Myles is a 1994 born forward who played last season for the Victoria Grizzlies. In 52 games he collected 17 goals and 18 assists for 35 points.

Coach Beatty says of Powell, “He adds a sweet touch around the net. We are thrilled to have Myles pulling on a Caps jersey. He brings a lot of experience and a great scoring touch to the Capitals."