Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Chilliwack - Trail Trade:

The off-season is in full swing as we're starting to see teams make trades to address their rosters for the 2013-14 season. In fact, it's just over 12 weeks to go until the 2013 BCHL Showcase hits the ice in Chilliwack and the season will arrive before we know it.

Speaking of the Chiefs, they addressed their goaltending situation by acquiring veteran netminder Lyndon Stanwood (93) from the Trail Smoke Eaters for forward Brodyn Nielsen and future considerations. Chilliwack was left with the young and relatively inexperienced Josh Halpenny following the graduation of Mitch Gillam, so the fact that Chiefs GM and Head Coach Harvey Smyl swung this deal doesn't surprise me in the least.

To Chilliwack:
G Lyndon Stanwood (93)
To Trail:
F Brodyn Nielsen (94)
+ Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Chiefs website:

The Chilliwack Chiefs have acquired 20 year old goaltender Lyndon Stanwood from the Trail Smoke Eaters in exchange for 19 year old forward Brodyn Nielsen and future considerations.

Stanwood appeared in 70 games the last two seasons in the BCHL with the Smoke Eaters.

Chiefs Head Coach and General Manager Harvey Smyl says the West Vancouver product brings a few assets to Chilliwack, “Lyndon is a veteran goalie who battles extremely hard and can also handle the puck really well.”

As for Stanwood he is thrilled to be coming back to the Lower Mainland, “I am very excited to have the opportunity to play closer to home and to play in front of the Chiefs fans, who are the some of the best fans in Junior Hockey.”

The Chiefs wish to thank Brodyn for his hard work both on and off of the ice in Chilliwack.