Saturday, June 22, 2013

Chilliwack - Langley Trade:

A familiar name is set to join the Chiefs as the two rivals swung a trade earlier this week. The deal sees forward Ben Butcher (95) go from Langley to Chilliwack in exchange for future considerations.

Of course, Butcher's brother Matt is a legendary Chiefs player who put up 183 points on 72 goals and 111 assists in 165 games from 2003 to 2006.

To Chilliwack:
F Ben Butcher (95)
To Langley:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Chiefs website:

The Chilliwack Chiefs have acquired 18 year old forward Ben Butcher from the Langley Rivermen in exchange for future considerations.

Last season, his first in the BCHL, the 6’2, 190 pound power forward recorded 18 points and 41 penalty minutes.

Chiefs Head Coach and GM Harvey Smyl on his latest acquisition, “Ben has very good skill, a strong work ethic and can be very difficult to play against.”

Ben, who is the brother of former Chilliwack Chiefs Captain Matt Butcher, is thrilled to have the chance to follow in his brother’s footsteps, “I am very excited to have the opportunity to play in Chilliwack, my brother loved it there, I can’t wait to put on the Chiefs jersey.”

Here's the release from the Rivermen blog:

The Langley Rivermen have sent forward Ben Butcher (1995 born) to the Chilliwack Chiefs for future considerations. The deal sees Butcher go to the same organization where his brother Matt spent three seasons under Harvey Smyl and was even drafted to the Vancouver Canucks in 2005.
The Bellingham native had a very up and down campaign with the ‘Men and finished with 10 goals and 8 assists in 54 games. Butcher will be most remembered for scoring five goals in his first four BCHL games including potting a hat-trick (and 2 assists) in the home opener on September 22nd.
The Chiefs are getting a young, skilled forward that is still growing into his 6 foot 2, 190 pound frame. The potential of him being a consistent goal scorer in this league is there, but it is a matter of doing it on a nightly basis, which I would bet is a goal of his going into next season.
Butcher was a great person off the ice and the entire Rivermen organization would like to thank him for his efforts and wish him the best of luck in Chilliwack!