Sunday, May 26, 2013

UPDATED - Surrey-Cowichan Valley-Langley-Penticton Trade Finalized:

Thanks to Surrey Eagles play-by-play man Brendan Batchelor and Langley associate coach Jordan Emmerson for clarifying that the trade that sees forward Kevan Kilistoff (95) join the Riverman as the final piece of a four team, five player deal.

On December 28th, Penticton traded defenseman Nathan Deyell (95) to Cowichan Valley for future considerations, Langley traded defenseman Thomas Nitsche (92) to the Vees for future considerations, the Capitals traded defenseman Troy Paterson (92) to Surrey for future considerations and the Eagles moved defenseman Austin Bietenbeck (95) and futures to the Rivermen for future considerations.

So the trades break down like this:

To Langley:
F Kevan Kilistoff (95)
D Austin Bietenbeck (95)
To Surrey:
D Troy Paterson (92)
To Cowichan Valley:
D Nathan Deyell (95)
To Penticton:
D Thomas Nitsche (92)

Here's the release from the Eagles:

Forward Kevan Kilistoff is off to the Langley Rivermen, completing the multi-team trade that saw the Eagles pick up Troy Paterson from Cowichan Valley.

Kilistoff will have a chance to play for his hometown team as he’ll make the short trip to Langley. An 18-year-old BCHL rookie, Kilistoff had 17 points in 52 games in the regular season. His biggest goal of the playoffs came when he scored the overtime winner in Game 5 of the Fred Page Cup Final against the Penticton Vees to give Surrey a 3-2 lead in the series.

Here's the Rivermen take on things:

The Langley Rivermen Junior “A” Hockey club is pleased to announce the acquisition of Kevan Kilistoff (1995 born) from the Surrey Eagles. This move completes a multi team trade that saw the Eagles pick up Troy Paterson from the Cowichan Valley Capitals. Kilistoff had a stellar rookie season racking 7 goals and 10 assists in 52 games with the Eagles.

“I am happy to come to my hometown and play for the Rivermen. It is a good organization that looks poised to have a good team next year and and playing out of one of the best facilities in the league on a daily basis doesn’t hurt either,” Kilistoff said.

The trade came as a complete surprise to the youngster as he found out about the news on Thursday morning during his exit interview with his Head Coach Matt Erhart,

“I did not see it coming that is for sure. At first I had mixed feelings about it because I had such a good time with Surrey, but at the same time I was happy to go closer to home and play in Langley,” Kilistoff continued.

Kilistoff is a 6 foot, 190 pound forward that can play in any position up front and in all situations. His new Head Coach Bobby Henderson had nothing but good things to say about his new player,

“We are excited to bring in a good local talent like Kevan to our club. He brings good experience as he is fresh off playing in the RBC Cup with Surrey and had a pretty big role with that team and we expect his role to expand with us,” said Henderson, “he is a playmaking forward that has really good speed and a knack for the net and we expect his numbers to increase with us.”

Not many players playing in their first season in the BCHL can say they accomplished what Kevan did in his rookie year. The 18 year old not only won the Fred Page Cup, but the Western Canada Cup as well which earned the Eagles a birth into the national championship tournament. Kilistoff went on to say those experiences will help him tremendously going into next year.

Playing in the Mainland division, Kilistoff is familiar with the Rivermen and believes they are a team on the rise,

“We had some good battles with the Rivermen all year, especially in the playoffs. They were a tough team to play against and were easy games to get up for when we played them. There are some key pieces coming back for another year and I hope to contribute any way I can,” Kilistoff finished.