Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Penticton-Coquitlam Trade Finalized:

The Penticton Herald tweeted this out a couple of weeks back and I retweeted it at the time, but it's now confirmed what the future considerations are from the Vees to the Coquitlam Express in the January 10th trade deadline deal that saw forward John Siemer (92) head to the Peach City.

In return, the Express receive forward Michael Rebry (93) and goaltender Nic Renyard (94). Rebry is committed to Western Michigan University for 2014-15 and was also chosen in yesterday's USHL draft by the Green Bay Gamblers in the 3rd round, 40th overall.

Neither the Vees nor Express have posted anything officially on their websites, but Coquitlam play-by-play man Eddie Gregory has on his blog and The Coquitlam Now newspaper has an extensive story on the trade.

Rebry joins a group of eligible returnees for new Coquitlam coach Barry Wolff that includes Sam Majka, Adam Rossignol, Travis Stephens, Will Cook, Mitch Fyffe, Brandon Morley, Garrett Forster and Adam Rockwood plus futures from West Kelowna in Brent Lashuk.

Renyard gives the Express their second veteran netminder along with second year goalie Daniel Urbani.

To Penticton Vees:
F John Siemer (92)
To Coquitlam Express:
F Michael Rebry (93)
G Nic Renyard (94)
Here's the post from Eddie's blog:

The final trade the Express made on January 10th was recently finalized with the Penticton Vees that sent John Siemer to the Vees.

In return as the future considerations the Express picked goaltender Nic Renyard (94) and forward Michael Rebry (93).

Rebry will be a 20 year old next season, he is the prize catch of the Express future considerations of all the deals that they made. He is expected to be a top forward for the Express next season. Last year in his first season in the BCHL the Clear Creek Ontario native scored 19 goals and 36 points in 35 games. He stands at 6'2 and is committed to Western Michigan University for the fall of 2014.

Victoria native Nic Renyard had good numbers in 20 games last season with the Vees posting a 10-6 record with 1 shutout, a 2.24 GAA and .919 save percentage. He also has some pretty decent size for a goaltender standing at 6'1.

Now all the trades the Express made on January 10th sending Mitch Nardi to West Kelowna, Phil Zielonka to Chilliwack and John Siemer to Penticton have been completed. In return the Express have acquired a total of 7 players. Garrett Forster, Ben Israel, Shay Laurent, Matthew Berry, Brent Lashuk, Michael Rebry and Nic Renyard.

And here's the article from The Coquitlam Now:

One has a nose for the net, the other the talent to guard it.

The Coquitlam Express announced Monday the names of the future considerations acquired from the Penticton Vees in a Jan. 10 deadline deal that saw team scoring leader John Siemer head to the Okanagan.

The future considerations were announced after Penticton’s season ended.

In forward Michael Rebry and goaltender Nic Renyard, new head coach and general manager Barry Wolff envisions two tall players who can address key holes in Coquitlam’s lineup.

“Both are big pieces and both just experienced a great playoff run,” noted Wolff, who took over the head coaching job just two weeks ago. “Rebry is someone we see as a top-three forward on our team. He’s got decent speed and a good shot who can offer upside on offence.

“With Renyard, he didn’t get a whole lot of playing time this season but he was highly touted and is someone we feel can be that stopper for us.”

An Ontario native, Rebry contributed 19 goals and 17 assists in 35 regular season games, and chipped in a goal and three helpers during the Vees’ 12-game playoff march, that saw them fall to Surrey in the final. The 19-year-old — who turns 20 in October — has signed a letter of intent with the University of Western Michigan for the 2014-15 season.

A forward with Canada West at last November’s World Junior A Challenge, Rebry also demonstrated a feisty nature and was seen as a strong team player by those in the Vees organization. Late in the season he was handed a five-game suspension by the league — three for leaving the bench to join an altercation, and two for engaging in a fight at the end of the game.

The Express will be Renyard’s fourth BCHL team, after he began his junior A career as an affiliate call-up with both Cowichan and Langley. He signed with Penticton to start the past season and made 20 appearances, posting a 10-6 record behind a 2.24 goals-against average and .919 save percentage.

Although neither has actually officially committed to Coquitlam for next season, Wolff said discussions with the pair were all positive.

“I’ve talked with both,” said Wolff. “They go from losing the league final and the next day get hit that they’ve been traded, so it was quite a shock. It wasn’t exactly Joyville but as players I think they are starting to see that we offer a fresh opportunity, and they’re happy to be wanted.”

The Express are seeking a serious injection of offence to supplement returning players like Justin Georgeson, Adam Rockwood, Will Cook and Travis Stephens. They had earlier received forward Brent Lachuk and defencemen Matthew Berry-Lamontagna and Shay Laurent as part of future considerations in other deals.

Looking to erase last season’s 24-31-1 record, Wolff is hitting the recruiting circuit with an eye on improving in a number of areas.

The recent additions certainly address some of those concerns, noted Wolff.

“[Goaltending] is very important and I believe you build a team from the goal out,” said the bench boss. “You need goaltending to compete, and you need competition for that goaltending position to be competitive.”

Daniel Urbani, a Coquitlam native who came via the Northeast Chiefs major midget program, will also be in the mix for the No. 1 job.

Wolff said he aims to invite local prospects from the Chiefs, who finished fourth overall in the B.C. Major Midget Hockey League season, to compete for jobs at the tryout camp in August. While BCMMHL scoring champ Mathew Barzal has committed to the Western Hockey League’s Seattle Thunderbirds and league goal-scoring champ Colton Kehler has reportedly signed with BCHL rival Cowichan Valley, Wolff believes the Express organization is an excellent option for local talent.

“Of course it’s important that any local player wants to play here and play at home. I’m definitely aiming to get as many of those players as we can.”

Along with the club’s own prospects camp, which ran two weeks ago at Coquitlam’s Planet Ice, Wolff attended the Lakeland prospects camp this past week and made inroads on the recruiting front.

Commitments received from either event won’t be announced until a later date.

© Copyright (c) Coquitlam Now