Monday, April 22, 2013

Coquitlam Express Hire Barry Wolff as Head Coach to Replace Jon Calvano:

With their Future Prospect Camp coming up this weekend, the Coquitlam Express officially moved foward from the Jon Calvano era with the announcement that Barry Wolff takes over as Head Coach.

Wolff has a lot of experience coaching in BC at the Junior A and Junior B levels, including in the BCHL with the Quesnel Millionaires.

There's no word whether Wolff assumes the GM role with the Express after Calvano was promoted to the job prior to the 2012-13 season.

Here's the release from the Express website:

The Coquitlam Express are proud to announce Barry Wolff as the new Head Coach. Barry is the 5th coach in the history of the Express organization.

The Kelowna, B.C. native comes to the Express highly recommended from numerous members of the NCAA coaching fraternity. He has spent the last year as Head Coach & G.M. of the Fernie Ghostriders, of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League. Wolff earned KIJHL Coach of the Year honours, leading the Ghostriders to a 35-13-1-3 record and an Eddie Mountain Division Championship this past season.

Barry has 10 years of head coaching experience, 3 of which were spent with the Quesnel Millionaires from 1996 to 1998. His career highlights include a BCHL Coach of the Year Award (1998), a Fred Page Cup Championship (2005, Surrey Eagles) and international experience as a member of Team Canada West’s coaching staff (2010, World Junior ‘A’ Championships).

"I am very excited to be joining the Coquitlam Express hockey organization. The Express have a strong track record for developing great players and a winning tradition that dates back to the Royal Bank Cup Championship. I would like to thank the Express ownership group for giving me this opportunity to build on such a strong foundation in a great community!" – Barry Wolff.