Saturday, March 9, 2013

Coach Dwayne Lowdermilk Let Go By Trinity Western University:

Despite a much improved 5-7-1 record in the second half of the BC Intercollegiate Hockey League season, the Trinity Western University Spartans decided to part ways with Head Coach Dwayne Lowdermilk, not renewing his contract for the 2013-14 season. The Spartans had a late playoff push, but a 1-9-1 season start was their undoing and they finished with a 6-16-1 record.

This was posted on the BCIHL website yesterday:

Trinity Western University announced Friday that the Department of Athletics will not be renewing Spartans’ hockey coach Dwayne Lowdermilk’s three-year contract as head of the men’s hockey program.

"Dean of Human Kinetics Dr. Blair Whitmarsh and I believe that it is important to make this move now so we can immediately begin the process of hiring a new coach for the upcoming 2013-14 BCIHL season," commented TWU Director of Athletics Murray Hall.

"Trinity Western owes a big thanks to Dwayne the pioneer. He came in and helped us cut our teeth in the burgeoning BCIHL. Under his leadership the TWU Titans made a successful transition to the TWU Spartans. We are grateful for the time and effort that Dwayne has put into TWU hockey and we wish him all the best in his future endeavours."

Lowdermilk, who has guided the Spartans over the last three seasons, commented: "I’ve had a great time and had great kids to work with."

Lowdermilk also coached the TWU Titans in the BCIHL during the 2009-10 season. In summer 2010 the Titans made the transition from a club program at Trinity Western to a varsity program and changed their title from Titans to Spartans.

TWU was part of the six post-secondary institutions that launched the BCIHL in 2006.

Trinity Western will immediately begin the search for a new head coach. For more information on the Spartans Hockey coaching position contact: Carol Hofer, Assistant Director of Athletics – Administration at hofer@twu.ca.