Sunday, January 13, 2013

Surrey Eagles - Trade Deadline:

The Surrey Eagles made just one move on deadline day, but it was a big one that signalled that Head Coach and GM Matt Erhart was gunning for a BCHL and RBC title.

The trade saw the Eagles acquire 18-year-old Adam Tambellini and future considerations from the Vernon Vipers for 18-year-old Mason Blacklock and future considerations.

Tambellini has had an immediate impact since joining Surrey, scoring five goals and adding two assists for 7 points in just two games. The Eagles won both of those games by a combined score of 12-3 with Tambellini showing solid chemistry with Brady Shaw and either Demico Hannoun or Michael Stenerson (both of whom have lined up on Surrey's top line during the last two games.)

To Surrey Eagles:
F Adam Tambellini (94)
+ Future Considerations

To Vernon Vipers:
F Mason Blacklock (94) + Future Considerations

Here's the word from the Eagles on the trade:

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club announced on Friday that prior to the BCHL trade deadline on Thursday, January 10th, the team traded forward Mason Blacklock (94) and future considerations to the Vernon Vipers in exchange for forward Adam Tambellini (94) and future considerations.

Prior to the trade, Tambellini led the Vipers in scoring with 22 goals and 17 assists in 36 games. The Edmonton native, who scored the double overtime winner for Vernon against Surrey on November 10th, has already committed to attend the University of North Dakota beginning in the 2013-2014 season.

Tambellini also comes from a hockey family as his father Steve and brother Jeff are both former Vancouver Canucks who have played over 700 NHL games between the two of them. Steve is currently the General Manager of the Edmonton Oilers while Jeff is playing professionally for Zurich in the Swiss League.

"We like the way our team has been playing as of late, and we're excited to be able to add a proven goal scorer in Adam," said Eagles Head Coach and GM Matt Erhart. "I think he'll fit in well with our group up front, but whenever you make a deal where you bring in a player like Adam, you have to give up a quality player in return. Mason has really turned his game around, especially in the last 20 games, and he's going to a good situation in Vernon where he'll get an opportunity to be a big part of that team and showcase himself for the future."

Blacklock joined the Eagles on September 15th after he was acquired in a trade with the Nanaimo Clippers. The 18-year-old White Rock product put up nine goals and eight assists in 32 games in Surrey.

The Eagles would like to thank Blacklock for his time spent in the organization and wish him all the best in the future.