Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Langley-Surrey Trade:

For the second time in the last two weeks and for the third time since last June, Mainland rivals Surrey and Langley hooked up on a trade.

The Rivermen have 18-year-old defenceman Aaron Dolby set to come off injured reserve and once he did, Langley would have one too many import players in its line-up. As a result, the Rivermen sent 19-year-old blueliner Ryan Fraser-Lee to the Eagles for future considerations.

Surrey had room to add Fraser-Lee after dealing Eric Chevrier to Brooks yesterday.

To Surrey Eagles:
D Ryan Fraser-Lee (93) To Langley Rivermen:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from Surrey on the trade:

For immediate release: January 9, 2013

Surrey, BC - The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club announced on Wednesday that the team has made two trades, acquiring defenseman Ryan Fraser-Lee (93) from the Langley Rivermen for future considerations and sending defenseman Eric Chevrier (93) to the Brooks Bandits in the Alberta Junior Hockey League for future considerations.

Fraser-Lee began this season with the Pembroke Lumber Kings of the CCHL where he put up two points in seven games. He was traded to Langley in late November where he appeared in 10 games for the Rivermen. The native of Grand Rapids, Michigan stands 6'2", 195 pounds and is a right handed shot.

"Ryan is a big defenseman and a right handed shot that will provide some more depth to our back end," said Eagles Head Coach and GM Matt Erhart. "We're excited to have him, and we think it solidifies our defensive core going forward."

And from the Rivermen side of things, from play-by-play man Brandon Astle's blog:

The Langley Rivermen Junior “A” Hockey Club has traded defenseman Ryan Fraser-Lee (1993 born) to the Surrey Eagles for future considerations.

Fraser-Lee played in 10 games with the Rivermen and racked up 15 penalty minutes. He was acquired by the Rivermen on November 22nd from the Pembroke Lumber Kings of the CCHL.

“Ryan was good for us back on defense since joining the team back in November, but with Aaron Dolby coming off injured reserve we needed to move an import and we feel Surrey is a good opportunity for him,” said Rivermen Associate Head Coach Jordan Emmerson.

Fraser-Lee is a Michigan native and was drafted into two junior leagues across North America in the past two years. He was first drafted into the USHL by the Chicago Steel in the fourth round in 2011 and then was a third round selection in the NAHL draft to the Janesville Jets in 2012.

“He is a great all around kid and was a pleasure to deal with every day at the rink. The Eagles are getting a reliable defenseman that can play in any situation and I believe they will really like his game. We wish him the best of luck.”

The Langley Rivermen organization would like to thank Ryan for his contributions on and off the ice and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours.

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 14
Trades Made Within BCHL: 7