Saturday, January 5, 2013

Cowichan Valley-Youngstown Trade:

I missed posting this when the trade went down, but Cowichan Valley needed to add a goaltender after sending Derek Dun to Nanaimo, so the Capitals acquired a netminder who's played this season in the United States Hockey League.

The move sees 19-year-old goalie Patrick Spano join Cowichan from the Youngstown Phantoms for future considerations. I wasn't aware that BCHL teams could actually trade with teams in the US as the player rights situation is different between the two countries, and specifically Hockey Canada and USA Hockey. My understanding is that if teams in Canada and the US want to conduct a transaction with each other, it's a release-and-sign scenario as opposed to a trade. There may be a transfer fee involved and in this case, that could be what is constituted as future considerations.

However, in the case of this move, Cowichan Valley announced it as a "trade", so I'll call it that as well.

To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
G Patrick Spano (93) To Youngstown Phantoms:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Caps website:

Coming into town are defenseman Nathan Deyell (95) and goaltender Patrick Spano (93). Patrick comes from the Youngstown Phantoms of the USHL, while Nathan comes to the Capitals from the Penticton Vees. Both players arrive in exchange for future considerations.

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 11
Trades Made Within BCHL: 6