Saturday, January 19, 2013

28 BCHL Alumni on NHL Opening Day Rosters:

A feather in the cap of the BCHL is the number of former players featured on NHL rosters to start the 2012-13 season. No doubt there will be other BCHL alumni to play in the NHL this season as they are called up from the minors, but according to the rosters as posted on at 7 a.m. today, there are 28 former BCHLers that I count.

If there are any that I've missed, please be sure to let me know in the comments section below.

A total of 11 current BCHL cities (Coquitlam, Nanaimo, Penticton, Victoria, Vernon, Salmon Arm, West Kelowna, Chilliwack, Langley, Powell River, Trail) and one defunct (Quesnel) have at least one player representing them on NHL rosters while five current BCHL cities (Alberni Valley, Cowichan Valley, Merritt, Prince George, Surrey) don't have any.

Here's a breakdown by BCHL team:

Coquitlam/Burnaby - 6
Nanaimo - 5
Penticton - 5
Victoria - 4
Vernon - 3
Salmon Arm - 2
West Kelowna/Westside - 1
Chilliwack - 1
Langley - 1
Powell River - 1
Trail - 1
Quesnel - 1

The Colorado Avalanche lead the way among NHL teams with four former BCHL players on their roster while the Vancouver Canucks and Ottawa Senators are next with three each. Edmonton, Florida and Toronto each have two former BCHLers while Boston, Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, San Jose and Winnipeg each have one. Only 13 NHL teams (Anaheim, Buffalo, Calgary, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York (I), New York (R), Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa Bay and Washington) don't feature a BCHL alum on their rosters.

The official NHL rosters don't include unsigned Dallas forward Jamie Benn (Victoria) and injured Los Angeles defenceman Willie Mitchell (Kelowna) so I haven't included them in the overall numbers.

Milan Lucic (Coquitlam)

Zac Dalpe (Penticton)

Duncan Keith (Penticton)

David Jones (Coquitlam)