Saturday, December 29, 2012

Penticton-Langley Trade:

The Penticton Vees added a significant piece to their blueline in acquiring 20-year-old defenceman Thomas Nitsche from the Langley Rivermen for future considerations.

The move now gives Penticton a ton of experience on defence, with four blueliners in their final year of junior hockey as 1992-born players, while Troy Stecher and James De Haas could both be considered veterans at 18-years-old. The Vees defence corps should be the envy of the BCHL.

To Penticton Vees:
D Thomas Nitsche (92) To Langley Rivermen:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Vees website:

The Penticton Vees Jr. ‘A’ Hockey Club has acquired defenseman Thomas Nitsche (92) from the Langley for future considerations.

Vees Head Coach & GM Fred Harbinson says Nitsche is the type of player needed to win games when they matter,“As we get ready for the stretch drive we realize that our division once again will be battle every night to get through. Thomas brings a veteran physical presence that you cannot have enough of come playoff time.”

Nitsche, 20, was in his second season with the Rivermen and his first as Langley’s captain. In 27 games, Nitsche tallied one goal and seven points to go along with 45 penalty-minutes. In 82 career games with the Rivermen, the Charlotte, North Carolina native has amassed five goals and 26 points. Nitsche is known more for his play without the puck, as the stay-at-home defenseman brings size to the Vees blue-line, standing at 6’3 and weighing in at 203 pounds.

Prior to joining the Langley Rivermen, Nitsche spent one season of Midget hockey with the Dallas Jets Under-18 program and before that came up through the Charlotte Jr. Checkers minor hockey program.

Nitsche is committed to Colgate University Raiders for next fall and will make his Vees debut tonight when they face the West Kelowna Warriors; Nitsche will wear number three.

The Vees now have five 20 year-olds on their roster after the trade, one under the BCHL maximum of six.
The Vees would also like to welcome Thomas to the organization and the South Okanagan.

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 10
Trades Made Within BCHL: 6
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 4
Players: 11
Future Considerations: 9

Langley-Surrey Trade:

With the acquisition of Troy Paterson from Cowichan Valley, Surrey needed to make room on its roster for a defenceman and as a result, swung a trade with the rival Langley Rivermen.

The move sees the Eagles send 17-year-old defenceman Austen Bietenbeck and future considerations to the Rivermen for future considerations.

To Langley Rivermen:
D Austen Bietenbeck (95) + Future Considerations

To Surrey Eagles:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Eagles website:

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club announced on Saturday that the team has acquired defenseman Troy Paterson (92) from the Cowichan Valley Capitals and traded defenseman Austen Bietenbeck (95) to the Langley Rivermen.

Paterson is a Surrey native in his third full season in the BCHL. The 20-year-old has posted four goals and nine assists in 27 games with the Capitals this year. Paterson becomes the seventh player on the Eagles to hail from either Surrey or White Rock.

Bietenbeck is in his rookie season in the BCHL. The 17-year-old played 20 games for the Eagles, tallying one assist. A Langley native, Bietenbeck will now have the opportunity to join his home town team.

"We think Austen has a great future ahead of him, but we felt we needed to get a little more experience on our roster," said Eagles Head Coach and General Manager Matt Erhart. "We think that we get that veteran experience with Troy, but in order to add that to our team, we had to give up a quality young player."

The Eagles would like to thank Bietenbeck for his time spent in the organization and wish him all the best in the future.

The Rivermen haven't posted a media release on the trade, but play-by-play man Brandon Astle had this to say on his blog:

The team acquired Austen Bietenbeck from the Surrey Eagles for future considerations.

Bietenbeck is from Langley and is a 17-year-old defenseman. He appeared in 20 games for the Eagles this season and has one assist. He is big at 6’3″, 198 pounds and is still growing. The Rivermen feel he has a great future ahead of him and are very happy to have the hometown kid in their organization.

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 9
Trades Made Within BCHL: 5
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 4
Players: 10
Future Considerations: 8

Cowichan Valley-Penticton Trade:

Cowichan Valley got younger on the blueline with the trading today of 20-year-old Troy Paterson to Surrey and the acquisition of 17-year-old Nathan Deyell from Penticton.

For Deyell, it's a return to Vancouver Island after playing last season with the VIJHL's Oceanside Generals and five games as an AP with the Nanaimo Clippers.

To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
D Nathan Deyell (95) To Penticton Vees:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Capitals website:

Head Coach Jim Ingram was busy following the Christmas break, with several players being moved today.

Coming into town are defenseman Nathan Deyell (95) and goaltender Patrick Spano (93). Patrick comes from the Youngstown Phantoms of the USHL, while Nathan comes to the Capitals from the Penticton Vees. Both players arrive in exchange for future considerations.

And from the Vees website:

The Vees sent rookie defenseman Nathan Deyell (95) to the Cowichan Valley Capitals for future considerations.

Deyell, 17, was in his first season in the BCHL and with the Vees. The Vancouver native was held pointless in 22 games this season playing in a depth roll on the Vees blue-line.  Prior to Penticton, Deyell played with the Oceanside Generals of the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League (VIJHL), where he picked up three goals and 14 points in 38 games in 2011-2012.

The Vees organization would like to thank Nathan for his contributions to the team and wish him all the best in his future with the Cowichan Valley Capitals.

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 8
Trades Made Within BCHL: 4
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 4
Players: 9
Future Considerations: 7

Friday, December 28, 2012

Surrey-Cowichan Valley Trade:

As part of a day that saw them make four transactions, Cowichan Valley moved 20-year-old defenceman Troy Paterson to Surrey for future considerations.

For Paterson, he joins his hometown team, while for the Capitals, they look like they've firmly got their eye on the future after trading both Paterson and Derek Dun.

To Surrey Eagles:
D Troy Paterson (92) To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Capitals website:

Head Coach Jim Ingram was busy following the Christmas break, with several players being moved today.

Headed out of town, Derek Dun (93) goes to the Nanaimo Clippers in exchange for future considerations. Also, Troy Paterson (92) heads  to the Surrey Eagles, also for future considerations. "We would like to thank both Troy and Derek for their hard work, dedication and contributions during their time in Cowichan. We will miss them, and wish them both the best as they pursue their hockey careers." said Jim Ingram.

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 7
Trades Made Within BCHL: 3
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 4
Players: 8
Future Considerations: 6

Nanaimo-Cowichan Valley Trade:

For the second time in just over a month, longtime division rivals in Nanaimo and Cowichan Valley have hooked up on a fairly significant trade.

The move sees the Clippers pick up 19-year-old goaltender Derek Dun from the Capitals for future considerations. Where the trade leaves the status of current Nanaimo goaltenders Jayson Argue and Jarrod Schamerhorn is unknown.

To Nanaimo Clippers:
G Derek Dun (93)
To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Clippers website:

The Nanaimo Clippers are pleased to announce the acquisition of Goaltender Derek Dun (93) from the Cowichan Valley Capitals in exchange for Future Considerations.

We would like to welcome Derek to the Clipper family.

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 6
Trades Made Within BCHL: 2
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 4
Players: 7
Future Considerations: 5

BCHL News & Notes - Dec. 28:

Chilliwack Chiefs F Mitch Skapski (96) joins WHL's Everett Silvertips

Word came out yesterday that 16-year-old Chiefs forward Mitch Skapski had signed with the WHL's Everett Silvertips for the remainder of the 2012-13 season, effectively ending his chance for an NCAA scholarship.

According to Marc Fitzgerald's blog (Chiefs Central), Skapski was actually released by Chilliwack a week ago, which enabled him to join the Silvertips.

F Mitch Skapski (96)
Here's the release from Everett's website:

EVERETT – The Everett Silvertips today announced the addition of four players who will join the team immediately to help offset the absence of players who are currently away at international tournaments.  Forward Mitch Skapski has signed a WHL Education Contract and will join the Silvertips on a full-time basis, while forwards Logan Aasman and Kyle Raymond and 15-year-old defenseman Kevin Davis will also be with the club when it returns from the WHL holiday break with three games this weekend.

Skapski, 16, was acquired by the Silvertips in May in the same trade that brought Ben Betker and Tyler Sandhu to Everett from Portland in exchange for Seth Jones.  As the only 1996-born player with the Chilliwack Chiefs of the BCHL, Skapski had three goals, eight points and 39 penalty minutes in 29 games this year.  Hailing from Abbotsford, BC and originally selected in the fourth round (#86 overall) of the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft, the 5-9, 155-pound winger racked up 26 goals, 49 points and 86 penalty minutes in 40 midget games last season.

“We’re very excited that Mitch has decided to commit to our program this year,” said General Manager Garry Davidson.  “He’s known for his high level of compete and energy and plays a much bigger game than his size suggests.  Having Mitch here sooner will give him added experience that should help him going into next year.”

———

Alberni Valley Bulldogs forward Manny Gialedakis (92) commits to SUNY-Oswego

Gialedakis is the fifth Bulldogs player to secure a commitment to an NCAA school, after Ryan Lough, Evan Tironese, Bo Pellah, Matt Hansen and Marlon Sabo.

F Manny Gialedakis (92)
Here's the release from the Bulldogs website:

Port Alberni, BC - The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are proud to announce that 1992-born forward Manny Gialedakis has committed to the NCAA Division III program at Oswego State University of New York.

Gialedakis was acquired by the Bulldogs in mid-September from the Georgetown Raiders of the Ontario Junior Hockey League for future considerations.

"I feel like its been a long time coming and I cannot be more pleased with where I'll be going,” said Gialedakis. “Oswego is a great school with an even better hockey history and to say that I will be apart of their program next year is an honor."

Since joining the Bulldogs, Gialedakis has been very committed to both his on-ice performance and off-ice initiatives. On the ice, Gialedakis has contributed with 11 goals and 15 assists in 30 games, including a hat trick against the Powell River Kings.

Gialedakis has also been very active in the community. Shortly after joining the Bulldogs, he helped out at the SPCA walking dogs in the mornings and spent two days each week in local elementary schools as a member of the “Bulldogs In Schools” program. Gialedakis is now registered for three courses at North Island College in order to maintain his NCAA eligibility for next September. In addition to his studies at NIC, Gialedakis is also involved in the Alberni Clayoquot Regional District’s 3 R’s recycling program that will have Gialedakis join fellow teammates present the benefits or recycling in local schools.

“The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are extremely happy to have been able to help Manny reach his goal and to play college hockey,” said Alberni Valley Bulldogs general manager and head coach Kevin Willison. “Since arriving in Alberni, Manny has worked very hard and has proven that he can play at the next level. Manny’s determination and dedication has helped him earn this opportunity for which we congratulate him,” concluded Willison.

Oswego State men’s ice hockey team sits at the No. 2 spot in the USCHO.com Division III polls. The Oswego State Lakers entered the Christmas break with a record of 9-2-0.

Manny concluded with the following message: "I’d like to thank the coaching staff, Tom McEvay and former GM Spiros Anastis for giving me the all opportunities i needed to succeed. To my mentor and friend Peter Sbaraglia I say thanks for always keeping me focused on the task at hand being there for me. My billets, The Arbanas family, for opening their doors to me and treating me like one of there own. To my parents and sister, Effie, Louie, and Maria thank you for your love and support, but no words can describe how lucky I am to have you guys with me every step of the way. I couldn't be happier with the town of Port Alberni for embracing me and I could not think of a better way to finish my last year of junior hockey than to bring this town a Championship."

———

West Kelowna adds Penticton Lakers G Niall McGregor (94) to reserve roster

The 18-year-old McGregor is the fourth goaltender to AP with the Warriors this season, although none of Brenden Mills (95), Tyler O'Donnell (93) or Cody Porter (97) have seen any action thus far.

The Calgary native has a 4-9-1 record with a 3.33 goals-against-average and a .913 save percentage in 17 games with the KIJHL's Lakers this season.

G Niall McGregor (94)
———

Coquitlam Express add F Sam Majka (93) back to active roster

Almost a month after being released from the Express while recovering from a concussion, Coquitlam has added 19-year-old rookie forward Sam Majka back to its active roster.

I'm not sure why the Express didn't put Majka on the injured reserve if he was still hurt as opposed to releasing him (it might have been because of the other injuries they had), but regardless, having the Wayzata, Minnesota native and Malcolm McKinney back to full health with help immensely. Especially considering that Alexander Kerfoot is out for the rest of the season with a shoulder injury.

F Sam Majka (93)
———

Former Chilliwack Chiefs F Jeff Tambellini leaves ZSC (Switzerland)

Two weeks after leaving the team for personal reasons, former Chilliwack Chiefs sniper Jeff Tambellini and his club team in Switzerland (ZSC Lions) have mutually terminated his contract. I don't know why Tambellini left the team, but I sincerely hope he is able to get his personal situation sorted out for the best.

F Jeff Tambellini
Here's the translated article about Tambellini's contract with ZSC being terminated:

The contract between the ZSC Lions and Jeff Tambellini is at 28 December 2012 has been dissolved by mutual agreement. About the contents of the contract was agreed keep silent.

The contract is based on the desire of the player. Jeff Tambellini traveled on 14 December 2012 for personal reasons from.

The Canadian was on the 2011/12 season pushed back from the Vancouver Canucks to the ZSC Lions. He completed 92 games for the city club and scored 69 points.

The ZSC Lions wish Jeff Tambellini for the future.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Great Northwest Showcase Preview:

The first annual Great Northwest Showcase kicks off tomorrow from the Bill Copeland Sports Centre in Burnaby featuring the host SFU Clan, the UBC Thunderbirds, the Arizona State Sun Devils and the University of Oklahoma Sooners.

Tickets are very affordable at just $15 per game, but there is a four-game package available for just $50. Tickets are available online at GreatNorthwestShowcase.com or at the door, however only cash will be accepted if you're buying tickets at the door.

In addition, myself and Nasen Furtado will have the call of all four games available on Fast Hockey pay-per-view at FastHockey.com.

It's bound to be a great two days of college hockey!

Game 1: University of BC vs. Arizona State University 4pm Friday

Game 2: Simon Fraser University vs. University of Oklahoma 7:15pm Friday

Game 3: University of BC vs. University of Oklahoma 4pm Saturday

Game 4: Simon Fraser University vs. Arizona State University 7:15pm Saturday

Simon Fraser University (8-1-0-1), Ranked 2nd in the BCIHL

Last game: Saturday, December 1st - 7-1 win over TRU
Streak: Won 2
Last ten games: 8-1-0-1

Average age: 22.05 years
Average height: 6'0"
Average weight: 188.2 lbs.

Goals-For: 56 (Avg. 5.60)
Goals-Against: 23 (Avg. 2.30)

Power play: 14/67 (20.90% - 3rd in BCIHL)
Penalty kill: 62/71 (87.32% - 2nd in BCIHL)

Head Coach: Mark Coletta

The Clan have two of the top 10 scorers in the BCIHL in Chris Hoe (4-15-19 in 9 games) and Ben Van Lare (8-7-15 in 8 games). Evan Kurylo (5 games, 3-1-0, 1.56 GAA, .917 Sv%) and Graeme Gordon (5 games, 4-1-0, 2.85 GAA, .896 Sv%) will likely have the task of keeping the puck out of the SFU goal.

University of British Columbia (9-6-1), Ranked 4th in Canada West, 14th in CIS

Last game: Saturday, December 1st - 3-0 loss to Univ. of Regina
Streak: Lost 1
Last ten games: 5-5-0

Average age: 22.34 years
Average height: 6'0"
Average weight: 187.1 lbs.

Goals-For: 51 (Avg. 3.18)
Goals-Against: 48 (Avg. 3.00)

Power play: 13/64 (20.30% - 3rd in Canada West, 11th in CIS)
Penalty kill: 46/61 (75.40% - 8th and last in Canada West, 35th and last in CIS)

Head Coach: Milan Dragicevic

Max Grassi (5-10-15 in 16 games) carries the mail offensively for the T-Birds while Neil Manning (0-13-13 in 16 games) leads from the blueline. Fourth year veteran Jordan White is number one in the crease (11 games, 6-4-0-0, 2.55 GAA, .917 SV%) and sophomore Steven Stanford backs him up (7 games, 3-3-0-1, 3.12 GAA, .898 SV%, 1 SO).

Arizona State University (20-2-0), Ranked 1st in American Collegiate Hockey Association Division 1

Last game: Saturday, December 8th - 5-3 loss to Robert Morris University
Streak: Lost 1
Last ten games: 8-2

Average age: 22.23 years
Average height: 5'11"
Average weight: 183.5 lbs.

Goals-For: 130 (Avg. 6.50)
Goals-Against: 47 (Avg. 2.35)

Power play: N/A
Penalty kill: N/A

Head Coach: Greg Powers

I can't claim to know much about the Sun Devils, but I did stumble across a great website with tons of analysis. I've checked it out in preparation for the Showcase and I'd encourage you to as well. The website is here: http://www.houseofsparky.com/asu-hockey

Kale Dolinski (23-14-37 in 21 games) and Colin Hekle (17-19-36 in 22 games) are the top two scorers for ASU. Seven Sun Devils players are averaging more than a point per game while two others are just under at 0.77 points per game. Joe D'Elia (15 games, 14-1, 2.05 GAA, .920 SV%) has played the bulk of games in goal while Corey Frank (5 games, 3-0, 1.26 GAA, .940 SV%) and Kyle Dietriech (5 games, 3-1, 3.09 GAA, .880 SV%) have split duties as back-up.

University of Oklahoma (14-7-1), Ranked 6th in American Collegiate Hockey Association Division 1

Last game: Saturday, December 8th - 5-0 win over University of Central Oklahoma
Streak: Won 4
Last ten games: 7-3

Average age: 21.5 years
Average height: 5'11"
Average weight: 177.5 lbs.

Goals-For: 99 (Avg. 4.50)
Goals-Against: 58 (Avg. 2.64)

Power play: N/A
Penalty kill: N/A

Head Coach: Peter Arvanitis

Same with ASU, I don't know much about the Sooners, but discovered a great blog with details on the team here: http://puckchk.wordpress.com/category/hockey-posts/ou-sooner-hockey/

As far as points go, Jordan Greenberg (10-15-25 in 22 games) and Chad Hudson (11-11-22 in 20 games) lead the way. OU has a lot of depth in scoring, with 12 players in double digits in points and only two Sooners are without a point this season. Colin Fernandes (15 games, 11-4, 2.17 GAA, .920 SV%, 3 SO) is the go-to guy in goal and Nick Holmes (7 games, 3-4, 3.58 GAA, .860 SV%) is the back-up. Youngster Louis Libin (1 game, 0-0, 1.50 GAA, .910 SV%) has seen just 40 minutes of relief all season.

BCHL News & Notes - Dec. 27:

First off, I hope that you had a great Christmas with family and friends and that Santa spoiled you completely! I truly appreciate all the support I receive for the blog and you reading it is the best gift I could get.

As the BCHL updater for http://www.eliteprospects.com, I've stumbled across some league related player news in the last few days and although most of the items aren't recent, I haven't seen them noted anywhere else - except for this first one.

Vernon Vipers D Marc Hetnik (92) decommits from Boston University and commits to UMass (Amherst) for September 2013

Although not noted as a commitment on the BCHL website yet, a number of media outlets online reported before Christmas that Hetnik will attend the University of Massachusetts next September instead of Boston University.

D Marc Hetnik (92)
Here's the news from The Boston Hockey Blog:

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff
Marc Hetnik Jr., the son of former Terrier Marc Hetnik, committed this week to the University of Massachusetts for the fall of 2013, news that came as a surprise to some because Hetnik Jr. had committed to Boston University in April 2011.

According to Bill Hanson, Hetnik Jr.’s former coach at Catholic Memorial School, the change was the result of BU’s lack of an available scholarship.

The elder Hetnik worked at BU at the time of his son’s commitment, meaning the family would have paid just 10 percent of BU’s tuition rate thanks to the school’s tuition remission benefits.

However, Hetnik lost his job at BU in May, according to Hanson. BU head coach Jack Parker and associate head coach Mike Bavis were “straightforward in that they didn’t have a scholarship for [Hetnik Jr.],” Hanson said.

UMass, which Hanson said has scouted Hetnik Jr. heavily during his time with the Vernon Vipers of the British Columbia Hockey League, offered him a full scholarship.

“I think it’ll be a really good fit for him,” said Hanson, who was also Hetnik Jr.’s high school guidance counselor.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound defenseman has collected five points (one goal, four assists) in 29 games for Vernon this season. He put up a line of 3-14-17 during the 2011-12 season.
Hetnik Jr.'s father played at BU under Parker for four seasons between 1975 and 1979, and played in all but one game during the Terriers' 1977-78 national championship season.

———

Former Chilliwack Chiefs F Jeremy Gossard (93) and former Salmon Arm SilverBacks F Mak Barden (93) are both with PJHL's Delta Ice Hawks

Gossard and Barden were both BCHL regulars last season, but for whatever reason, are playing junior B hockey this season with the Pacific Junior Hockey League's Delta Ice Hawks.

Statistically, Barden is having a stellar season as his 53 points (21g, 32a) in 31 games leads the PJHL in scoring. Gossard isn't lighting it up nearly as much, with 4 points (1g, 3a) in 20 games.

F Mak Barden (93) F Jeremy Gossard (93)
———

Former Victoria Grizzlies G Nick Taylor (92) joins EJHL's Rochester Stars

After being released by the Grizzlies back in July, Taylor has found a spot to play out his final season of junior hockey, signing with the Rochester Stars of the Eastern Junior Hockey League.

The Surrey native played most of 2011-12 in the PJHL, split between Port Moody Black Panthers and the Grandview Steelers before being signed by Victoria at the trade deadline last January,

He has a 4-5 record, 4.03 GAA and an .882 SV% in 14 games with the Stars this season.

G Nick Taylor (92)
———

Former Cowichan Valley Capitals G Alex Orth (95) joins PJHL's Mission City Outlaws

Orth, who started this season as the back-up to Derek Dun in Cowichan Valley before being released after just two games played, has signed with the Mission City Outlaws of the Pacific Junior Hockey League.

The Abbotsford Minor Hockey product has a 2-6 record, 5.42 GAA and an .869 SV% in nine games with the Outlaws. Orth had decent numbers with the BCMML's Fraser Valley Bruins as a 16-year-old last season and is getting his feet wet in junior hockey this season, so I would expect to see him in a BCHL camp heading into the 2013-14 season.

G Alex Orth (95) ———

Former Vernon Vipers G Joe Young (94) joins EJHL's Boston Junior Bruins

Young's situation is very similar to Orth's in that he made his junior hockey debut earlier this season in the BCHL and is still adjusting to the differences between the levels of hockey.

With a scholarship to Union College for 2014-15 in his back pocket already, he's now playing close to home (Hanson, Massachusetts is just 29 km southeast of Boston) for the remainder of the 2012-13 season.

Young has a 4-1 record with a 2.07 GAA, .922 SV% and one shutout since signing with the Junior Bruins.

G Joe Young (94)

Monday, December 24, 2012

28 BCHL Alumni to Take Part in Inaugural Great Northwest Showcase:

I'm looking incredibly forward to providing all of the play-by-play for the inaugural Great Northwest Showcase coming up this Friday and Saturday (December 28th and 29th) at the Bill Copeland Sports Centre in Burnaby.

The four team Showcase features three different levels of hockey: the host SFU Clan of the BC Intercollegiate Hockey League, the UBC Thunderbirds of the CIS, and the University of Oklahoma Sooners and the Arizona State Sun Devils of the American Collegiate Hockey Association.

All the details on the Showcase are available here: http://www.greatnorthwestshowcase.com

There are a ton of familiar names taking part as 28 players who have skated at least one game in the BCHL are sprinkled on each team's roster. SFU leads the way with 12 BCHL alumni on its' roster, while UBC is next with 11, followed by UO with three and ASU with two.

I'll post more about the Showcase after Christmas, but here's a breakdown of players with BCHL experience taking part.

Simon Fraser University (12)
G Graeme Gordon (Salmon Arm/Merritt/Vernon)
G Andrew Parent (Salmon Arm)
D David Dotan (Burnaby)
D Tyler Mah (Vernon/Nanaimo)
D Bruin McDonald (Victoria/Vernon/Coquitlam)
D Taylor Swaffield (Trail)
F Kody Dhaliwal (Langley/Salmon Arm/Chilliwack)
F Chris Hoe (Salmon Arm)
F Trevor Milner (Burnaby)
F Trent Murdoch (Powell River/Williams Lake/Alberni Valley/Prince George)
F Joey Pavone (Surrey)
F Nick Sandor (Alberni Valley/Trail)

University of British Columbia (11)
G Jordan White (Prince George/Penticton)
D Ilan Cumberbirch (Langley/Westside/Burnaby/Surrey)
D Linden Saip (Surrey)
D Kevin Smith (Victoria)
D Jason Yee (Victoria/Powell River)
F Max Grassi (Coquitlam/Burnaby/Nanaimo/Surrey/Penticton)
F Scott MacDonald (Salmon Arm/Westside)
F Cole Pruden (Powell River)
F Ben Schmidt (Powell River)
F Cole Wilson (Westside)
F Matt Wray (Powell River/Salmon Arm)

University of Oklahoma (3)
G Colin Fernandes (Cowichan Valley/Victoria)
F Jeff Coates (Westside)
F Stan Smrke (Langley)

Arizona State University (2)
D Kyle Hughes (Burnaby)
F Faiz Khan (Salmon Arm/Prince George)

Two BCHL Alumni Featured on 2012 Spengler Cup Rosters:

I'm not sure why, but I've always been drawn to watching the Spengler Cup. The six team, invitation-only tournament has been presented since 1923 and heralds itself as the oldest invitational hockey tournament in the world.

Over the years, there are a significant number of former BCHL players who have skated in the Spengler Cup - and not all for Team Canada either. Often, Canadians playing pro hockey in Europe wind up competing against their compatriots as their club teams are invited to the tournament.

This year, the teams competing are Team Canada, HC Davos (Switzerland), HC Fribourg-Gottéron (Switzerland), Adler Mannheim (Germany), HC Vitkovice Steel (Czech Republic) and Salavat Yulaev Ufa (Russia) and there are two BCHL alumni featured.

Team Canada - D Geoff Kinrade (Cowichan Valley)
HC Davos - F Devin Muller (Salmon Arm)
Complete details on this year's Spengler Cup are here: 2012 Spengler Cup

Sunday, December 23, 2012

23 BCHL Prospects Heading to Mac's Midget Tournament:

The annual Mac's Midget Tournament gets underway in Calgary on Boxing Day and runs through to New Year's Day.

There are a number of players taking part who are on BCHL rosters this season as affiliate players/prospects. I've taken this format from Alan's Small Thoughts At Large WHL blog.

If you are interested in following your team's prospects in this year's tourney, the Mac's website is www.macstournament.ab.ca and they'll have game summaries there as the tournament progresses.

And to help you know which prospects your team has in Calgary, here's the list of BCHL prospects in this year's tournament, by midget team. I've given the player name, his position and birth year and the BCHL team owning his reserve roster rights for this season.

If I've missed a player or messed up some info on a player, corrections are most welcome.

Cariboo Cougars:

Tyler Povelofskie (F-96) - Alberni Valley
Kirk Hards (F-95) - Prince George
Ryan Forbes (F-95) - Prince George
Braiden Epp (F-96) - Prince George
Liam Blackburn (F-96) - Prince George
Stephen Penner (D-95) - Prince George
Scott Cullen (D-96) - Prince George
Jeremy Matte (G-96) - Prince George

Okanagan Rockets:
Branden Wagner (F-96) - West Kelowna
Cortlan Procter (F-95) - Vernon
Graham Millar (F-96) - Penticton
Brett Mennear (F-96) - West Kelowna
Dustin Kostiuk (F-96) - Vernon
Spencer Hewson (F-95) - Salmon Arm
Josh Blanchard (F-96) - Penticton
Alex Gran (D-95) - Vernon
Gen Bryshun (D-96) - West Kelowna
Brenden Mills (G-95) - West Kelowna

Vancouver NW Giants:
Eric Margo (F-95) - Coquitlam
Jarid Lukosevicius (F-95) - Powell River
Jackson Cressey (F-96) - Coquitlam
Anthony Conti (F-95) - Coquitlam

Greater Vancouver Canadians:
Alex Whitwham (F-96) - Surrey

Upon looking at the players taking part in the tournament who are affiliated with BCHL clubs, there are a number of teams who don't have any representation. They are Chilliwack, Cowichan Valley, Langley, Merritt, Nanaimo, Trail and Victoria.

Players in the tournament this year, by BCHL club:

Prince George: 7
West Kelowna: 4
Coquitlam: 3
Vernon: 3
Penticton: 2
Powell River: 1
Surrey: 1
Salmon Arm: 1
Alberni Valley: 1

Friday, December 21, 2012

BCHL News & Notes - Dec. 20:

As a new feature on the blog, I'll try to keep up with the daily goings on around the BC Hockey League. Of course, I'll still try to make a dedicated blog post when a trade happens or to focus on players, personnel and alumni from the BCHL.

Nanaimo affiliate player Spencer Turcotte (94) signs with OJHL Wellington Dukes

Turcotte, who joined the Clippers earlier this season with designs on joining the regular roster, played nine games in Nanaimo and has signed with the Wellington Dukes of the Ontario Junior Hockey League. He's posted three points in eight games with the Dukes thus far.

Since he's a full time member of Wellington's roster, the only way that Turcotte can play for any other junior 'A' team in Canada is if the Dukes trade or release him.

F Spencer Turcotte (94)
———

Salmon Arm releases Dustin Nikkel (93) and signs Angus Redmond (95) from PJHL Port Moody Panthers

The SilverBacks made another change in goal, this time releasing Nikkel after just three games played and grabbing Redmond from the junior 'B' ranks, where he had a 4-15-0-0 record with a struggling Port Moody squad.

The 17-year-old was added to the Prince George reserve roster earlier this season but didn't see any action with the Spruce Kings.

G Angus Redmond (95) G Dustin Nikkel (93) Here's the release from the SilverBacks website:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks are very excited to announce the signing of 17 year old Goaltender Angus Redmond.

Angus is a Langley product who appeared in 16 games during his rookie season for the Junior “B” Port Moody Panthers of the PIJHL.

The 6ft 1”, 175lbs former Major Midget net-minder with Valley West Hawks will be called upon to back up Adam Clark with the release of Dustin Nikkel.

GM Troy Mick says he's excited to watch Redmond develop into a possible future starting goaltender at the Junior “A” level.

"He's big, young and athletic, and at this level that means you always have a ton of potential, we're very excited to see what Angus can bring to the table."

Your SilverBacks finish 2012 with a home and home against West Kelowna this weekend, travelling Friday before hosting the Warriors on Saturday.

The SilverBacks would like to welcome Angus and his family to the organization - we're sure this news will make for an extra happy holiday season.

———

West Kelowna forwards Seb Lloyd (94) and David Pope (94) both commit to NCAA schools for 2014-15 season

Lloyd and Pope are the eighth and ninth members of the Warriors roster to secure a college commitment from an NCAA school. West Kelowna only finished with four committed players at the end of 2011-12, so doubling that amount is a huge feather in the cap of Head Coach and GM Rylan Ferster's squad.

F Seb Lloyd (94)

F David Pope (94)

Here's the release from the Warriors website:

It’s been a big week for the West Kelowna Warriors.

Veteran defenceman Josh Monk committed to Providence College earlier in the week, and now two more promising young players have ironed out their futures.

Star forward Seb Lloyd announced his plans earlier on Thursday via twitter (@Sebway4).  “Committed to Harvard 2014 thanks to everyone who helped me reach my goal #dreamcometrue.”

Now in second season with the Warriors, the 18 year-old is enjoying a breakout season.

The Prince George native has notched 33 points (15+18) in 25 games so far.

In addition, the star forward was an integral part of a silver medal-winning Team Canada West at this year’s World Junior ‘A’ Challenge in Nova Scotia.  At the event, Lloyd scored the lone goal of the semi-final, and was then named Canada West’s player of the game in the final.

“I’m really excited I get to go to a place like Harvard” Lloyd says of the opportunity.  “It’ll be unreal to combine great schooling with a top-flight hockey program.  It’s what I’ve been looking for all along.”

Lloyd adds that the chance to attend an ivy-league institution is an important stepping-stone for him. “My parents have always stressed education.  Hockey is going to end someday for all of us, so an ivy league degree will set me up very well for life after hockey.”

Lloyd will be joining Adam Plant at Harvard, with the Warriors’ rookie defenceman having already committed to the Crimson this past summer.

Meanwhile, David Pope is also on his way to the NCAA, having accepted a scholarship to the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

Likewise in his second year with the Warriors, Pope has become one of the team’s most reliable scorers, contributing 19 points (7+12) in 24 games this season.

Also 18 years old, the Edmonton native says he’s delighted to have committed to the UNO Mavericks.

“Getting a division I scholarship has been my goal since before I started playing Junior” an excited Pope declares.  When I was down there, there wasn’t one single thing I could see that I didn’t like.  It’s a nice place, they have great coaches, and it just seems like a good fit for me.”

And amidst the excitement of sending two more young men to prestigious NCAA programs, the Warriors are also sowing the seeds for their future.

While commitments like these should be able to help the Warriors (and the BCHL) with future recruiting, there is a more concrete upshot for West Kelowna.

Both Lloyd and Pope have committed for the 2014-15 season, meaning both will play for the Warriors next year before heading to college.

“We’re obviously thrilled for both of these guys and their families” says Warriors Head Coach Rylan Ferster of the commitments.  “There are skilled young players and (more importantly) great people who have worked hard for this chance.  Of course, we’re also expecting big things from them over the next year and a half.”

David Pope is currently nursing an upper-body injury, and will be a game-time decision for this weekend’s action.  Seb Lloyd will be in the lineup as the Warriors take on Salmon Arm.

———

Trail Captain Garrett McMullen commits to RIT for 2013-14 season

McMullen is the third Smoke Eaters player this season to commit to an NCAA program, after Brent Baltus and Scott Davidson did earlier this season.

F Garrett McMullen (92) Here's the release from the Smokies website:

The Trail Smoke Eaters are proud to announce the commitment of 20 year-old forward, and captain Garrett McMullen to NCAA Division I Rochester Institute of Technology for the 2013-14 hockey season.

McMullen, a native of Rochester, NY, sits second on the Smoke Eaters in scoring with 15 goals and 31 points. Four of McMullen’s 15 goals are game-winners, including the deciding goal in  Tuesday’s 4-2 home win over the Merritt Centennials. In 90 career BCHL games with Powell River and Trail, McMullen has scored 32 goals and 67 points, while accumulating 117 minutes in penalties.

He was named Smoke Eaters captain in August of 2012, and became the first Smoke Eater player this season to earn the award of BCHL Player of the Week earlier this month.

“We’re extremely excited to see Garrett commit to college for next season,” stated Smoke Eaters head coach/general manager Bill Birks. “This was a goal of his and he’s worked extremely hard to see it through. He’s been a terrific role model and leader for the younger kids in our dressing room since coming to Trail last autumn.”

McMullen will join former Smokies defenseman Rajan Sidhu at RIT; the Surrey native is currently taking part in his freshman season with the Tigers.
McMullen and the Smoke Eaters return to Cominco Arena on Friday, January 4th when they host the Surrey Eagles.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Salmon Arm-Battlefords Trade:

At least one deal (that I'm aware of) went down on the day of the BCHL holiday trade freeze. There's a freeze in effect because of the holiday season until Thursday, December 27th when BCHL teams aren't allowed to make trades.

Today's move sees the SilverBacks trade forward Troy Petrick (93) to do two things: open a roster spot to add a player this season and potentially add a player this season or next, who is a year younger than the one they traded away. In the trade, Salmon Arm acquires D Connor Sutton (94) and future consderations from the SJHL's Battlefords North Stars for Petrick.

Sutton, who's 18, is currently with the WHL's Lethbridge Hurricanes where he has one goal, two PIMs and is -4 in 12 games.

It's interesting to note that in the SilverBacks media release, they make no mention of Sutton's inclusion in the trade while the North Stars do.

To Salmon Arm SilverBacks:
D Connor Sutton (94) + Future Considerations

To Battlefords North Stars:
F Troy Petrick (93)
Here's the release from the SilverBacks website:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks have traded forward Troy Petrick to the Battleford North Stars of the SJHL in exchange for future considerations.

Petrick, a 19 year old native of Castlegar, B.C, tallied 1 goal and 1 assist in 14 games with the SilverBacks this season.

Petrick played for current SilverBacks bench boss Scott Robinson and the Dawson Creek Rage of the NAHL last season; where he played in 53 games while scoring 6 goals and 12 assists for 18 points.

Troy is a gritty power forward who is tough to play against and will benefit greatly with his new role in the SJHL with Battleford.

The Petrick move opens up a roster spot for the SilverBacks and GM Troy Mick’s theme of getting younger this season continues as he overhauls a roster that won just 16 games in 2011-2012.

The SilverBacks would like to wish Troy the best of luck with his new team in North Battleford and thank him for his contribution to the organization this season.

And from the North Stars website:

Head Coach/ GM Kevin Hasselberg has announced the acquisition of 19 year old forward Troy Petrick from the Salmon Arm Silverbacks in the BCHL in exchange for the CJHL rights of 18 year old defenseman Connor Sutton and future considerations.

Petric is no stranger to Junior Hockey having played two seasons with the NAHL Dawson Creek Rage before joining the Silverbacks for the start of the 2012/13 season. The 6’0 195 lb forward from Nelson, British Columbia has played in over 120 games at the Junior A level contributing 36 points and 153 penalty minutes.

“Troy is a player we recruited over the summer,” commented Hasselberg. “He can best be described as a physical two way player that competes hard on the cycle and in the corners. We believe Troy will fit right into the dynamics of our dressing room and will earn the respect of his new teammates.”

Sutton was acquired in a summer transaction with the Dauphin Kings. He currently plays with the Lethbridge Hurricanes of the WHL. The CJHL rights of the 6’3 defenseman from Cochrane AB, will now belong to the Salmon Arm Silverbacks. Sutton never competed in any games with the North Stars since the transaction was made. Before the Hurricanes, Sutton split his first year of Junior with the Spruce Grove Saints and the Calgary Mustangs of the AJHL.

Petric will join the North Stars following the Christmas break, and will be available for questions when the North Stars hit the ice on January 2 in preparation for the next home game on Friday, January 4, 2013, vs. the Weyburn Redwings.

For any further information, please contact Head Coach/General Manager Kevin Hasselberg at (306) 446-0046.

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 6
Trades Made Within BCHL: 1