Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Langley-Alberni Valley Trade:

The BCHL's Coastal Conference continues to provide blockbuster trades so far in the 2012-13 season as Langley and Alberni Valley hooked up on a biggie today.

The trade sees the Rivermen move 17-year-old defenceman Bo Pellah to the Bulldogs for 17-year-old Evan Anderson and 18-year-old defenceman Turner Popoff.

It's a deal that gives Alberni Valley some flexibility with its roster, as according Hammer's Bulldogs blog, the Dogs have some players set to come off of the injured reserve list and they need to make roster room - a 2 for 1 trade does just that.

However, with the addition of Anderson and Popoff, the Rivermen were one player over the 22 man roster and as a result, 20-year-old forward Scott Moyer is no longer on their active roster. I haven't received word if Moyer was traded or released.

Much like the Brady Shaw-for-Brandon Morley deal between Surrey and Coquitlam earlier this season, I see this trade as one that could turn out being beneficial for both clubs going forward.

To Langley Rivermen:
F Evan Anderson (95)
D Turner Popoff (94)
To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
F Bo Pellah (95)
Here's the release on the trade from the Rivermen website:

Township of Langley, BC, Wednesday, October 31, 2012: The Langley Rivermen Junior “A” Hockey Club has announced a trade with the Alberni Valley Bulldogs. The Rivermen trade defenseman Bo Pellah (1995 born) to the Bulldogs for forward Evan Anderson (1995 born) and defensemen Turner Popoff (1994 born).

Anderson, a North Vancouver product, is having a fantastic rookie year recording 4 goals and 10 assists in 18 games. His early efforts this season have been rewarded with a scholarship to UMass-Lowell for 2014/2015. Popoff, a Richmond native, has put up 1 goal and two assists in 17 games this season with the ‘Dogs thus far.

“It is obviously tough moving a player as talented as Bo Pellah and it was not an easy thing to do. He has been a good teammate here in Langley and has been a pleasure to watch, but at the end of the day we feel that this is a move that will help make our team more competitive,” said Rivermen Head Coach/GM Bobby Henderson.

Evan Anderson is a guy that has impressed Henderson when seeing him play against the Rivermen this season and he feels he has a bright future ahead of him,

“There is plenty to like about Evan. Right off the bat he has great speed and is a very talented player with good stick skills, good vision and moves the puck well.  We feel he will address offensive needs for us not only this season, but for years to come,” Henderson said.

Turner Popoff brings some more experience to the Rivermen blue line as he has played in 58 career games registering 4 goals, 7 assists and 119 penalty minutes.

“Turner is the type of player that isn’t the glamorous type by any means, but at the same time he is a guy that helps you win. He is everything that you look for in a defenseman. He is steady back there and moves the puck well, but the thing we like most about him is his compete level. We watched him enough in the past two years either in person or on film and feel his is just a great overall defenseman,” Henderson said about his new blue liner.

As for Bo Pellah, he has been electrifying since suiting up as a rookie last year. The 17 year old is off to a great start with 1 goal and 12 assists in 13 games to date.  In his 71 games in a Rivermen uniform he registered a total of 4 goals, 34 assists for 38 points to go along with 63 penalty minutes and locked up a scholarship to Penn State.

“I am sure the fans in Langley are going to be sad to see Bo go as he was an exciting player to watch. I hope the fans in Alberni Valley get out and take advantage of the opportunity to see a player like him. He is a kind of guy that is few and far between in this league and we believe the sky is the limit with his potential. We feel this trade is good for both organizations and I hope it works out the best for everybody,” Henderson finished.

And from the Bulldogs site:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs announce today that the team has acquired 1995-born defenseman Bo Pellah from the Langley Rivermen. Pellah is a smooth skating, puck moving, competitive player that will bring a new element to the Alberni Valley Bulldogs.

In the deal, the Alberni Valley Bulldogs send 1994-born defenseman Turner Popoff and 1995-born forward Evan Anderson to the Langley Rivermen.

“The organization is very excited to get a player of Bo’s skill set. He is going to bring another level of play to our roster,” said Alberni Valley Bulldogs General Manager and Head Coach Kevin Willison. “Bo will make us better on and off the ice with his hard work and dedication that he brings to the game of hockey,” added Willison.

Pellah has a full season under his belt in the BCHL as he was the Langley Rivermen’s 16-year old player in 2011/12. Pellah is committed to the NCAA Division 1 program at Penn State for 2014/15 and is one of only six BCHL players on the NHL Central Scouting Preliminary 2013 North American Rankings for skaters for the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.

By making a two-for-one deal, the Bulldogs, in turn, free up roster space for injured players Marlon Sabo and Hunter Stewart as they are set to come off the IR later this week.

In Popoff and Anderson, the Langley Rivermen get two players in return that were great role models in the Alberni Valley. They made significant contributions to the team during their tenure and  the organization wishes Turner and Evan all the best with their new team.

Trail-Langley Trade:

I know I'm late in posting about this, but I did Tweet about it last week when it happened. (By the way, if you'd like to follow me on Twitter for up-to-the-minute BCHL news, my handle is @Brian_Wiebe)

The Trail Smoke Eaters added to their depth on defence by acquiring 18-year-old Valik Chichkin from the Langley Rivermen in exchange for 19-year-old forward Tanner Clarkson.

Clarkson had requested to be traded by the Smokies after playing just six games with them this season.

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
D Valik Chichkin (94)
To Langley Rivermen:
F Tanner Clarkson (93)
Here's the release on the deal from the Rivermen website:

Township of Langley, BC, Friday, October 26, 2012: The Langley Rivermen Junior “A” Hockey Club has announced a trade with the Trail Smoke Eaters. The Rivermen trade Defenseman Valik Chichkin (1994 born) in exchange for Forward Tanner Clarkson (1993 born).  Clarkson is a native of West Kelowna, B.C. and has played 100 career BCHL games, recording 17 goals, 12 assists and 38 penalty minutes.

“Tanner is a guy that we identified last year and we believe he has a lot of upside. He is a big kid that skates well and has some offensive touch as well,” said Rivermen Head Coach Bobby Henderson.
Clarkson had his best season statistically a year ago putting up 11 goals and 7 assists in 33 games played with the ‘Smokies. This season he has only played six games thus far and has added one goal.

“I think Tanner will add to our overall team speed and will definitely add depth up front for us,” continued Henderson, “he had a pretty decent year a season ago and we are excited to add him to the organization”.

As for Chichkin, the numbers on the blue line were adding up, which meant a drop in ice time for the second year defenseman,

“We felt we needed to get Valik to a place where he was going to have an opportunity to get the minutes he needs to continue his development. We are sad to see him go because he is such an outstanding young man, but at the end of the day he has got to go where there is more opportunity,” finished Henderson.

And from the Smoke Eaters site:

TRAIL -- The Trail Smoke Eaters have completed a transaction with the Langley Rivermen, acquiring defenseman Valik Chichkin (94) in exchange for the playing rights of forward Tanner Clarkson (93).

Chichkin, a 6’3”, 190-pound defenseman from Burnaby, has 2 points in 9 appearances with the Rivermen this season. As a 17 year-old rookie, he scored 1 goal and 14 points with Langley in 54 regular-season games. He was also selected in the 2009 Western Hockey League bantam draft by the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

Clarkson scored 1 goal in 6 games this season with the Smokies after being acquired in December of 2011 from the Nanaimo Clippers. In 39 career games with the Smoke Eaters, Clarkson tallied 12 goals and 19 points.

Chichkin is expected to join the Smoke Eaters for their regular-season game Saturday, October 27th in Salmon Arm.  The Smokies host the Victoria Grizzlies Friday (7:30 PM, Cominco Arena).

Friday, October 26, 2012

Alberni Valley-Camrose Trade:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs continue to make over their defence corps, this time with the addition 19-year-old Dylan Schellenberg.

It comes the same week that the Bulldogs added BCHL and WHL veteran Eric Walker to their blueline.

Schellenberg arrives from the Camrose Kodiaks of the AJHL for future considerations and he is a veteran of three junior A seasons. The Calgary native is also an 8th round bantam draft pick of the WHL's Kootenay Ice from 2008.

Neither team has confirmed the trade on their websites, but it is listed under 'Transactions' on the BCHL website

To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
D Dylan Schellenberg (93)
To Camrose Kodiaks:
Future Considerations

Chilliwack-Okotoks Trade:

The Chilliwack Chiefs raised some eyebrows around the BCHL earlier this week when they added 20-year-old goaltender Keith Hamilton to their roster, but he wasn't there for long.

Hamilton, who has played the last two seasons in the WHL was released by the Victoria Royals last month and headed to the QMJHL where he tried out for the Baie-Comeau Drakkar. He was released from that tryout and found himself looking for a place to play.

The Chiefs held Hamilton's junior A rights after they and Austin Plevy were traded by Merritt to Chilliwack in the deal that saw Derek Huisman join the Centennials earlier this summer. With Mitch Gillam and Josh Halpenny solidified as the Chiefs two netminders, I figured a trade with Hamilton involved was in the works and there was - as he was dealt this week to the AJHL's Okotoks Oilers for future considerations.

Neither team has confirmed the trade on their websites, but it is listed under 'Transactions' on the BCHL website and Hamilton made his debut for Okotoks tonight, making 32 saves in a 6-1 win over Sherwood Park.

To Okotoks Oilers:
G Keith Hamilton (92)
To Chilliwack Chiefs:
Future Considerations

Victoria-Cobourg Trade:

The Victoria Grizzlies swung a deal late last week with the Cobourg Cougars of the OJHL that wasn't announced by the BCHL until just a few days ago.

The trade sees Victoria pick up 19-year-old defenceman Chris Albertini in exchange for 19-year-old F Reid Jackman and future considerations. Since Jackman had requested a trade from the Grizzlies and was suspended for doing so, it's no surprise that this move came down. However, since the trade, Jackman hasn't appeared in any games for the Cougars and nor is he on their roster, so I'm not sure where he ended up.

Albertini hasn't played junior A hockey since the 2010-11 season after spending a season and a half with the OHL's Plymouth Whalers. He didn't play any games with Cobourg prior to the trade as he was still with Plymouth.

What is strange to me is that Albertini made his Victoria debut last Friday (as the Grizzlies were Tweeting about his first game), yet he didn't appear on the Grizzlies roster (their reserve roster at that) until just a day or two ago.

I don't know if it's possible for a player to play a game for Victoria without being on the official roster or if Albertini just needed to be signed by the Grizzlies to a Hockey Canada player card and then he was eligibile to play.

To Victoria Grizzlies:
D Chris Albertini (93)
To Cobourg Cougars:
F Reid Jackman (93)
+ Future Considerations

Neither team has confirmed the deal on their websites, but the Grizzlies blog mentioned it and it's now included under 'Transactions' at BCHL.ca.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

25 BCHL Players Included on Canada West Selection Camp Roster:

It looks like the BCHL will be well represented once again this year at the World Junior A Challenge in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia from Nov. 5 - 11.

Of the 60 players invited to take part in the Canada West selection camp in Calgary next week, 25 are from the BCHL.

The team-by-team breakdown is as follows:

Penticton - 6
Coquitlam - 4
Powell River - 3
Vernon - 3
Surrey - 2
Victoria - 2
Alberni Valley - 1
Chilliwack - 1
Merritt - 1
West Kelowna - 1

Goaltenders/Gardiens de but
Marc-Olivier Daigle L/G 6'1" 180 09/18/94 Delson, Que./Qc Drayton Valley (AJHL)
Jonah Imoo R/D 6'1" 170 04/06/94 Surrey, B.C./C.-B. Powell River (BCHL)
Chad Katunar L/G 6'4" 215 08/14/93 Victoria, B.C./C.-B. Penticton (BCHL)
Curtis Skip L/G 5'11" 172 08/23/94 Grande Prairie, Alta./Alb. Grande Prairie (AJHL)
Tyler Steel L/G 6'2" 175 02/25/93 Vernon, B.C./C.-B. Merritt (BCHL)
Matt Tomkins L/G 6'1" 175 06/19/94 Sherwood Park, Alta./Alb. Sherwood Park (AJHL)
Defence/Défense
Grant Baker L/G 6'1" 215 06/05/93 Calgary, Alta./Alb. Lloydminster (AJHL)
Marc Biega L/G 6'0" 192 06/06/94 Pointe-Claire, Que./Qc Coquitlam (BCHL)
Jon Carlson 6'1" 195 06/28/94 Fort Frances, Ont. Fort Frances (SIJHL)
Corey Chorneyko L/G 5'8" 165 10/14/93 Jasper, Alta./Alb. Spruce Grove (AJHL)
James de Haas L/G 6'4" 210 05/05/94 Mississauga, Ont. Penticton (BCHL)
Nolan De Jong L/G 6'2" 180 04/25/95 Victoria, B.C./C.-B. Victoria (BCHL)
Marshall Donald L/G 5'11" 180 06/10/95 Edmonton, Alta./Alb. Sherwood Park (AJHL)
Kevin Guiltinan L/G 6'3" 204 04/25/95 London, Ont. Vernon (BCHL)
Tanner Jago L/G 6'0" 190 05/19/94 Brandon, Man. Winkler (MJHL)
Tyler Kauk L/G 6'0" 210 09/04/93 Winnipeg, Man. Estevan (SJHL)
Shane Pilling L/G 5'10" 175 01/21/93 Lethbridge, Alta./Alb. Brooks (AJHL)
Luke Ripley L/G 6'3" 195 04/16/94 Kitimat, B.C./C.-B. Powell River (BCHL)
Maddison Smiley R/D 6'0" 180 02/20/94 Airdrie, Alta./Alb. Brooks (AJHL)
Carson Soucy L/G 6'4" 195 07/27/94 Irma, Alta./Alb. Spruce Grove (AJHL)
Troy Stecher R/D 5'11" 180 04/07/94 Richmond, B.C./C.-B. Penticton (BCHL)
Paul Stoykewych L/G 6'0" 200 03/09/95 Winnipeg, Man. Winnipeg (MJHL)
Devon Toews L/G 5'11" 165 02/21/94 Abbotsford, B.C./C.-B. Surrey (BCHL)
Mike Williamson L/G 6'3" 210 09/05/93 Leduc, Alta./Alb. Spruce Grove (AJHL)
Forwards/Avants
Tayler Balog L/G 6'1" 191 04/21/94 Weyburn, Sask. Nipawin (SJHL)
Ryan Berlin L/G 6'0" 181 02/10/94 Edmonton, Alta./Alb. Whitecourt (AJHL)
Josh Betinol R/D 5'7" 150 03/12/94 Chestermere, Alta./Alb. Battlefords (SJHL)
Brett Boehm R/D 6'0" 160 09/19/94 Martensville, Sask. Flin Flon (SJHL)
Bradley Cox R/D 6'0" 172 01/26/94 Thunder Bay, Ont. Thunder Bay (SJHL)
Bowen Croft R/D 5'10" 175 07/31/94 Sherwood Park, Alta./Alb. Sherwood Park (AJHL)
Dexter Dancs L/G 6'2" 190 02/01/95 Vancouver, B.C./C.-B. Penticton (BCHL)
Rhyse Dieno R/D 5'11" 170 07/03/93 Davidson, Sask. La Ronge (SJHL)
Hudson Friesen L/G 6'2" 185 05/15/93 East St. Paul, Man. Selkirk (MJHL)
Nelson Gadoury L/G 6'1" 186 03/30/95 Calahoo, Alta./Alb. Camrose (AJHL)
Aaron Hadley R/D 6'3" 200 07/22/93 Castlegar, B.C./C.-B. Vernon (BCHL)
Dante Hahn R/D 6'1" 190 04/15/95 Victoria, B.C./C.-B. Victoria (BCHL)
Connor Hoekstra R/D 5'11" 196 01/21/93 St. Albert, Alta./Alb. Canmore (AJHL)
Kurt Keats L/G 5'8" 160 08/16/95 Winnipeg, Man. Winnipeg (MJHL)
Alex Kerfoot L/G 5'10" 165 08/11/94 West Vancouver, B.C. Coquitlam (BCHL)
Patrick Lee L/G 5'9" 155 10/08/94 Calgary, Alta./Alb. Brooks (AJHL)
Seb Lloyd L/G 5'10" 185 04/25/94 Prince George, B.C./C.-B. West Kelowna (BCHL)
Tanner MacMaster L/G 5'9" 146 01/08/96 Calgary, Alta./Alb. Camrose (AJHL)
Dylan Mascarin L/G 6'0" 160 08/25/95 Thunder Bay, Ont. Thunder Bay (SIJHL)
Dylan McCombie R/D 5'8" 172 12/29/94 Flin Flon, Man. Flin Flon (SJHL)
Brandon Morley L/G 5'9" 160 04/17/94 Burnaby, B.C./C.-B. Coquitlam (BCHL)
Wade Murphy R/D 6'0" 180 10/22/93 Victoria, B.C./C.-B. Penticton (BCHL)
Anthony Paskaruk R/D 5'10" 175 01/18/94 Airdrie, Alta./Alb. Brooks (AJHL)
Austin Plevy L/G 5'10" 175 11/14/94 Langley, B.C./C.-B. Chilliwack (BCHL)
David Pope L/G 6'2" 193 09/27/94 Edmonton, Alta./Alb. West Kelowna (BCHL)
Zach Pryzbek L/G 6'4" 205 04/25/94 Niagara on the Lake, Ont. Coquitlam (BCHL)
Michael Rebry L/G 6'1" 190 10/15/93 Clear Creek, Ont. Penticton (BCHL)
Dylan Richard L/G 6'0" 185 02/05/93 Sherwood Park, Alta./Alb. Spruce Grove (AJHL)
Evan Richardson R/D 5'8" 170 05/30/94 Nanaimo, B.C./C.-B. Powell River (BCHL)
Colton Spicer L/G 6'1" 185 02/14/95 Fort Frances, Ont. Fort Frances (SIJHL)
Michael Stenerson L/G 5'10" 165 01/20/93 Surrey, B.C./C.-B. Surrey (BCHL)
Adam Tambellini L/G 6'4" 177 11/01/94 Edmonton, Alta./Alb. Vernon (BCHL)
Andrew Taverner L/G 5'11" 182 05/07/95 Edmonton, Alta./Alb. Sherwood Park (AJHL)
Parker Thomas R/D 6'1" 180 03/12/93 Winnipeg, Man. Selkirk (MJHL)
Evan Tironese L/G 5'9" 163 08/02/95 Qualicum Beach, B.C. Alberni Valley (BCHL)
Russell Trudeau L/G 5'9" 175 08/07/93 Landmark, Man. Melville (SJHL)

Monday, October 22, 2012

Reserve Roster - Langley Rivermen:

Alphabetically, the Cowichan Valley Capitals should be the next team on the blog to have their reserve roster highlighted, but the Caps don't have any players on their reserve roster, so we move to the next team in sequence - the Langley Rivermen.

D Ben McWilliams (93)
F Kris Melna (94)
G Daniel Oordt (95)
F Matt Painchaud (96)
F Marco Romano (94)
G Matt Rud (96)
D Jivan Sidhu (95)
F Josh Smith (95)
F Kurt Thrussell (95)

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Surrey-Coquitlam Trade:

I first Tweeted about this deal on Thursday night, but the Coquitlam Express and Surrey Eagles have combined on arguably the biggest trade through the first quarter of the 2012-13 BCHL season.

The Eagles send captain Brandon Morley (94) to the Express in exchange for veteran forward Brady Shaw (92) in a one-for-one swap.

This looks to me like a pure "hockey deal" that ultimately could work out well for everyone involved - teams and players.

The trade hasn't been reported under "Transactions" on the BCHL website, but Morley is on Coquitlam's roster while Shaw is now on Surrey's roster. Both teams have confirmed the trade as well, either on their websites or social media, or both.

It breaks down like this:

To Surrey Eagles:
F Brady Shaw (92)

To Coquitlam Express:
F Brandon Morley (94)

Here's the release from the Eagles:

For immediate release: October 19, 2012

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club announced on Friday that the team has traded Brandon Morley (94) to the Coquitlam Express in exchange for forward Brady Shaw (92).

Morley spent the last two seasons with the Eagles, playing alongside his older brother Tyler. In 2010-2011, Morley was named the team’s rookie of the year, and in 2011-2012, he put up 47 points in 49 games, helping the Eagles to a spot in the Coastal Conference final.

“The Eagles would like to thank Brandon for all that he’s given to our program,” said Head Coach and General Manager Matt Erhart. “He’s a hard worker and a mature young man that has a bright future ahead of him. Coquitlam is getting a quality individual.”

Shaw joins the Eagles after a strong start to the season in Coquitlam where he scored six goals and three assists in 12 games. The 20-year-old is in his second BCHL season after finishing second on the Express in goals with 33 last year. Shaw, who hails from Ottawa, is also the son of former NHLer and current St. Louis Blues assistant coach Brad Shaw.

“The Eagles are very excited to acquire a proven goal scorer like Brady,” said Erhart. “He possesses a great release and has always been dangerous against us. We expect him to provide an immediate offensive threat for our hockey club.”

Here's the release from the Express on Eddie Gregory's Coquitlam Expressions blog:

The Coquitlam Express and Surrey Eagles have teamed up for one of the biggest trades so far this BCHL season.

The Express sent 20 year old power forward Brady Shaw (92) to the Surrey Eagles in exchange for their captain Brandon Morley (94).

There may be a difference in size between the two players with Shaw standing at 6'2 200lbs, and Morley at 5'9 160lbs. But the one thing they both have in common is a physical game.

The Express are getting a veteran of 2 BCHL seasons with the Eagles in Morley. He has 5 assists in 11 games so far this season. Last year he produced at better than a point per game clip with 14 goals and 49 points in 47 games.

Brandon has developed a reputation in his first two seasons in the league as a very difficult player to play against with his in your face style. He certainly is one of those players you would rather have on your team than to be playing against him.

Last year he was linemates with current Express forward Alexander Kerfoot as they helped Team Canada West win the gold medal at the World Junior A Challenge in Langley.

Before entering the BCHL, Morley played with the Northwest Giants of the BC Major Midget League where he was coached by current Express Head Coach and GM Jon Calvano.

The Express acquired Shaw early last season. He went on to score 33 goals and 69 points in 57 games with the Express. This season he had 6 goals and 9 points in 12 games.

The Express would like to welcome Brandon to the organization and wish Brady all the best with the Eagles.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Reserve Roster - Coquitlam Express:

Another team with a small affiliate player list/reserve roster is the Coquitlam Express.

Their roster only features 15-year-old phenom Mathew Barzal, who was the 1st overall pick by the Seattle Thunderbirds in this year's WHL Bantam Draft.

Barzal played two games with the Express at the BCHL Showcase in Chilliwack to start the season.

F Mathew Barzal (97)

Reserve Roster - Chilliwack Chiefs:

Continuing my look at the reserve rosters and affiliate players for each team in the BCHL, let's get to the Chilliwack Chiefs.

Harvey Smyl's squad has one of the smaller reserve rosters in the league, with just one player signed -- 18-year-old Brodyn Nielsen.

F Brodyn Nielsen (94)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Trail-Alberni Valley Trade:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs eliminated their goaltending glut on Tuesday afternoon, while the Trail Smoke Eaters add a bit more experience to their netminding duo.

The Smokies picked up G Adam Todd (94) from the Dogs for future considerations. Todd is into his second year of junior hockey, with 12 WHL games with Saskatoon and three BCHL games with Alberni Valley under his belt.

With the acquisition of Todd, the status of Trail back-up G Braden Krogfoss (95) is uncertain. He's no longer on the Smoke Eaters active roster as of this writing.

The Bulldogs sent Todd home earlier this month as they tried to work out a deal with another team for him to go to. The trade hasn't been confirmed on the BCHL website, but the Bulldogs Tweeted earlier this afternoon the goods and Todd is now on the Smoke Eaters active roster.

Here's the details on the trade:

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
G Adam Todd (94)
To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
Future Considerations

Reserve Roster - Alberni Valley Bulldogs:

It's always interesting for fans to see new faces in their favourite team's line-up and even though being added to the reserve roster doesn't guarantee that a player will play for that team, I thought I'd do a quick analysis of each BCHL's team's reserve roster of affiliate players.

So let's start alphabetically with the Alberni Valley Bulldogs. All reserve rosters are as of Tuesday, October 16, 2012.

D Ryan Buse (95)
F Josiah Friesen (94)
F John Gosbee (94)
F Tyler Povelofskie (96)
F Stephen Ryan (94)
F Mike Sandor (92)
F James Severs (96)
D Jessie Spooner (93)

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Nanaimo-Kingston Trade:

The Nanaimo Clippers swung a deal with the Ontario Junior Hockey League's Kingston Voyageurs to add some experience to their line-up.

Nanaimo Head Coach and GM Mike Vandekamp grabbed forward Greg Trichilo (92) in exchange for future considerations yesterday. While adding another import player, one had to go and the Clippers subsequently released forward Steve Hladin (94). No word yet where Hladin will end up.

Neither the Clippers nor the Voyageurs have reported the trade on their websites, but it is listed under "Transactions" on the BCHL website.

Here's how the deal breaks down:

To Nanaimo Clippers:
F Greg Trichilo (92)
To Kingston Voyageurs:
Future Considerations

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

2012-13 BCHL Roster Breakdown:

Inspired once again by Alan's Small Thoughts At Large WHL blog, I've decided to break down the BCHL rosters this season with the average height, weight, and age of the players on the roster, plus the numbers of rookies, imports, and players of each age.

Any teams that have more than 22 players on their roster are, under BCHL rules, allowed to because of players on injured reserve, players who have been suspended after requesting a trade, or players failing to report to their new team after being traded.

# Players    Ht          Wt        Avg. Age RookiesImp's16s17s18s19s20s
Alberni Valley Bulldogs255'11"171.6118.36117141136
Chilliwack Chiefs215'11.5"173.5318.5765142104
Coquitlam Express235'10.5"168.5018.399614855
Cow. Valley Capitals225'10.9"172.3818.249325735
Langley Rivermen226'0.7"184.7718.6210813675
Merritt Centennials225'11.3"174.0518.719314395
Nanaimo Clippers225'11.9"176.1718.3668021055
Penticton Vees225'11.3"172.4918.10118141151
Powell River Kings235'10.9"171.4518.4510603983
PG Spruce Kings235'11.2"177.6718.4510714675
Salmon Arm Silverbacks235'11.4"174.3618.397514756
Surrey Eagles225'11.8"176.5918.25125041062
Trail Smoke Eaters235'10.6"163.8518.419514774
Vernon Vipers235'11.7"175.6618.3610813883
Victoria Grizzlies235'11"168.7618.7055125105
West Kelowna Warriors215'11.2"175.5318.486502856

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Langley's Austin Azurdia Named BCHL Player of the Week:

(Photo courtesy of Brandon Astle's Langley Rivermen blog)

This is posted on the BCHL website:

Langley Rivermen forward Austin Azurdia has been named the BCHL Player of the Week for the week ending October 7, the league announced Monday.

Azurdia guided the Rivermen to a pair of home wins over the Prince George Spruce Kings and was named 1st Star both nights. The Wenatchee, Washington native punctuated his performance with a highlight-reel game-winner with 0.3 seconds to go in the second game.

The 6-foot, 180-pounder scored twice in Saturday's 3-2 come-from-behind win and added two more goals Sunday including a goal-of-the-year candidate in the dying seconds. Azurdia finished the weekend with four goals and an assist and now has nine points in eight games.

Honourable mentions this week go to:

Chilliwack Chiefs F Josh Hansen (three goals, three assists, 1st Star, 2nd Star)

Salmon Arm SilverBacks D Shane Hanna (three goals, one assist, 1st Star)

Penticton Vees F Wade Murphy (two goals, four assists)

Alberni Valley Bulldogs G Jay Deo (two wins, .974 save percentage, 1st Star, 2nd Star)

Here's the goal Azurdia scored to beat PG on Sunday: