Friday, August 31, 2012

BCHL Tonight - August 31, 2012

I apologize for the slight hiatus this week, things are getting busy at work with all students returning to the BCIT campus on Tuesday.

Today's Scoreboard (Exhibition)

Prince George at Grande Prairie (AJHL) 2-4 F

Vernon at Salmon Arm 2-2 F

Nanaimo at Alberni Valley 8-2 F

Powell River at Cowichan Valley 1-1 F

Chilliwack at Surrey 1-3 F

Wenatchee (NAHL) at West Kelowna 4-5 F

Trail at Merritt 2-4 F

SFU (BCIHL) at Coquitlam 2-5 F

Tomorrow's Schedule

Powell River at Nanaimo - 2 pm

Wenatchee (NAHL) at Penticton - 5 pm

Grande Prairie (AJHL) at Prince George - 7 pm

Surrey at Chilliwack - 7 pm

Alberni Valley at Cowichan Valley - 7 pm

Salmon Arm at Vernon - 7 pm

Merritt at Trail - 7:30 pm

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Alberni Valley-Dauphin Trade:

(Photo credit: K*Photography)

Sorry I'm a couple of days late on getting a blog post up about this, but I Tweeted about it when it happened. The Alberni Valley Bulldogs have eliminated their logjam in the crease by trading 20-year-old goaltender Matt Larose to the Manitoba Junior Hockey League's Dauphin Kings for future considerations.

The deal hasn't been posted on the BCHL website and Larose is still on the Bulldogs roster, but the organization confirmed the move on both Twitter and their website.

To Dauphin Kings:
G Matt Larose (92)
To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the 'Dogs website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs would like to announce that the organization has traded the CJHL rights of 92-born goalie Matt Larose to the Dauphin Kings of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League for future considerations.

Larose was acquired in October of last season in a trade that saw him come to the Bulldogs along with 94-born defenseman Daniel Delbianco and the CJHL rights to 93-born defenseman Eric Walker in exchange for 92-born defenseman Tanner Hicks, 93-born defenseman Marley Keca, and 92-born forward Taylor House. Eric Walker started the 2011/12 season with Northern Michigan University in the NCAA before leaving to split last season between the Vancouver Giants and Swift Current Broncos.

The Bulldogs’ hockey operations worked hard over the last two months to find Larose an opportunity where he will have a chance to be a number one goalie in his 20-year-old season after the team aquired 92-born goalie Jay Deo and signed 95-born goalie Brad Rebagliati.

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs would like to wish Matt all the best in the 2012/13 season. Matt has strong character and always conducted himself as a professional.

BCHL Tonight - August 28, 2012

Today's Scoreboard (Exhibition)

Chilliwack at Coquitlam (at Burnaby Winter Club) 4-5 F

Langley at Merritt  5-5 F

Prince George at Trail (at Art Holding Memorial Arena in Chase) 2-1 F

Vernon at West Kelowna 5-1 F

Nanaimo at Victoria (at Sooke Arena) 1-4 F

Tomorrow's Schedule

Victoria at Alberni Valley - 7 pm

Merritt at Chilliwack (at Hope & District Rec Centre) - 7 pm

Cowichan Valley at Nanaimo - 7 pm

Coquitlam at Surrey - 7 pm

Prince George at Trail (at Art Holding Memorial Arena in Chase) - 7 pm

Monday, August 27, 2012

BCHL Tonight - August 27, 2012

Today's Scoreboard (Exhibition)

West Kelowna at Vernon 3-3 F

Langley at Coquitlam 7-4 F

Tomorrow's Schedule

Chilliwack at Coquitlam (at Burnaby Winter Club) - 7 pm

Langley at Merritt - 7 pm

Prince George at Trail (at Art Holding Memorial Arena in Chase) - 7 pm

Vernon at West Kelowna - 7 pm

Nanaimo at Victoria - 7 pm

Sunday, August 26, 2012

BCHL Tonight - August 26, 2012

Today's Scoreboard (Exhibition)

Surrey at Coquitlam 4-4 F

Alberni Valley at Nanaimo 2-8 F

Wenatchee (NAHL) at Salmon Arm 3-2 F

Tomorrow's Schedule

West Kelowna at Vernon - 7 pm

Langley at Coquitlam - 8 pm

Brent Fletcher Named Merritt Centennials Captain for 2012-13:

(Photo credit: Ian Webster - Merritt Centennials)

The Merritt Centennials announced their 2012-13 captain on Saturday, with third year forward Brent Fletcher following in the footsteps of Evan Stack, who wore the 'C' in 2011-12.

F Brent Fletcher (92)
Here's the release from the Cents website:

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce their captain for the 2012-13 season. Wearing the "C" for the Cents is third-year BCHL forward Brent Fletcher.

"We are very proud that Brent is the next captain of our team," said Cents GM & Head Coach Luke Pierce. "He is a natural leader who is highly respected by his teammates and his competitive drive on the ice strongly reflects the identity of our organization while his good-natured character off the ice serves to represent us well in the community."

"Brent was a big contributor in the playoffs last year which speaks to his ability to raise his game when it means most and we expect that quality will rub off on his teammates," Pierce added. "The supporting cast of leaders this season will be very strong alongside Brent and we know that will serve as a major strength for our team."

"I'm honoured to be named captain of the BCHL's longest continuously-run franchise, especially in the 40th year of the Centennials," said Fletcher.

Fletcher continued, "I intend to do what ever I can to help this team and city win the RBC Cup in 2013 and we are very excited for the season to begin."

Fletcher is entering his third full season in the BCHL after joining the Centennials in October 2010. In 105 games, the New Westminster, BC native has posted 11 goals and 17 assists to go along with 58 penalty minutes. In 13 career playoff games, he has three goals and three assists and 18 penalty minutes.

The Centennials 2012-13 alternate captains will be announced at a later date.

New BCHL Rules For 2012-13 Season:

The BCHL Governors approved a number of new rules for 2012-13, outside of the roster rules I posted a few weeks ago.

I was able to get a summary of the rules from the BCHL office and its' Director of Officiating Derek Adams.

1. No Change Icing

No line change will be permitted for the offending team icing the puck.  The offending team will not be permitted make a line change even if they call their 30 second time out (this includes the Sponsor Time Out).  The non offending team will be permitted to make a line change within the five second time limit allowed during the referee's normal line change procedure.

2. Puck Shot Out of Bounds

No line change will be permitted for the offending team of a player who shoots the puck directly out of the playing surface over the glass while in his own defensive end zone.  It will be the position of the puck that determines what zone the puck was shot from. For example a player can have his skates in the neutral zone and the puck can be shot from his defensive zone or visa versa.

This rule does not appy if the puck leaves the playing surface after deflecting off another player (attacking or defending) or deflects off the glass or if the puck leaves the playing surface where there is no glass (i.e. into the players' bench).  If the puck leaves the playing surface at the bench area and clears the glass behind the bench the rule shall apply and no line change shall be permitted.

If a goaltender shoots the puck over the glass it is still an automatic minor penalty for Delay of Game under Rule 10.1(a) of the Hockey Canada Rule Book. In this case the team will be allowed to make a line change because it affects the numerical on-ice strength of that team.

3.  Icing the Puck

This is a new Hockey Canada rule for Junior/Senior hockey relating to the goaltender leaving his crease during an icing. The rule states that if a goaltender leaves his crease to potentially play the puck but then intentionally does not play the puck then the icing is to be waved off. If a goaltender causes significant interference on a player attempting to play the puck on an icing then a minor penalty is to be assessed.

The basic reasoning behind this rule is to prevent a goalie from making an attacking player let up on chasing a puck during an icing because the goalie appears he is going to play the puck, but then lets the puck continue for icing.

It does not mean that a goalie can't leave his crease or move during an icing, just that he can't make an attacking player believe he is going to play the puck then still allow the puck to continue over the goal line for an icing call.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

BCHL Tonight - August 25, 2012

Today's Scoreboard (Exhibition)

Coquitlam at Chilliwack 2-2 F

Cowichan Valley at Alberni Valley 5-5 F

Surrey at Langley (at Langley Sportsplex) 3-8 F

Wenatchee (NAHL) at Vernon 9-5 F

Tomorrow's Schedule

Surrey at Coquitlam - 2 pm

Wenatchee (NAHL) at Salmon Arm - 4 pm

Alberni Valley at Nanaimo - 7 pm

Friday, August 24, 2012

BCHL Tonight - August 24, 2012

Today's Scoreboard (Exhibition)

Langley at Surrey 0-5 F

Cowichan Valley at Victoria 4-4 F

Tomorrow's Schedule

Cowichan Valley at Alberni Valley - 7 pm

Coquitlam at Chilliwack - 7 pm

Surrey vs. Langley at Langley Sportsplex - 7 pm

Wenatchee (NAHL) at Vernon - 7 pm

Merritt Defenceman Ross Mancuso Moves On From BCHL Career:

(Photo credit: Merritt Centennials)

The Merritt Centennials removed 20-year-old defenceman Ross Mancuso from their roster earlier this summer and now we know why.

Mancuso has retired from hockey to focus on his education and as a result, gives the Cents room for another 20-year-old. That being said, with Mancuso not returning, it leaves Merritt with Richard Sabourin, Dylan Chanter and Tyler Martin as the lone returnees on the blueline.

D Ross Mancuso (92)
Here's the release from the Cents website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - August 24, 2012

The Merritt Centennials would like to announce that defenceman Ross Mancuso has moved on from the BC Hockey League. The 20-year old from Coppell, Texas has decided to focus on his future and education by attending university in the United States starting this September.

"Ross has decided to move on from the game of hockey and we fully respect his decision," said Cents GM & Head Coach Luke Pierce. "We have known since the end of last season of his decision so we're prepared to open this year without him."

Pierce added, "It's disappointing to lose a person of his character and a player of that quality; however, we understand that sometimes these young men see a need to get on with the next step in their life."

"We wish Ross all the best in his future and thank him for his contributions with us last season," concluded Pierce.

The 6’1", 194 pound Mancuso made the Centennials as a rookie in September of last year after playing with the junior 'B' Osoyoos Coyotes during the 2010-11 season.

He scored his first goal of the season and first career BCHL goal on January 21 in a 4-1 win over the Victoria Grizzlies.

Mancuso played 51 games in Merritt and he closes out his BCHL career with 11 points (1G, 10A) and 31 PIM. He also had two points (1G, 1A) in nine career BCHL playoff games.

For further information, please contact Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce at 250-378-3607.

Garrett McMullen Named Captain for the Trail Smoke Eaters for 2012-13:

(Photo credit: Trail Smoke Eaters)

The Trail Smoke Eaters announced the first part of their leadership core on Thursday, as second year forward Garrett McMullen was named captain for 2012-13.

F Garrett McMullen (92)
Here's the release from the Smokies website:

TRAIL – The Trail Smoke Eaters are pleased to announce forward Garrett McMullen will serve as team captain for the 2012-13 BCHL season.

McMullen, a native of Rochester, New York, is entering his 20 year-old season, his second in the BCHL. McMullen scored 36 points (17-19) in 53 games with the Smoke Eaters in 2011-12 after being acquired early in the season from the Powell River Kings.

“I’m honoured and excited to be named captain of the Smoke Eaters,” said McMullen.

“We have high expectations this season and I’m really looking forward to leading the way for this team.”

“Garrett is a highly-respected member of our team and brings a great work ethic on and off the ice,” stated Smoke Eaters head coach/general manager Bill Birks.

“He is a leader on this team and sets a great example for our younger players.”

McMullen becomes the 18th captain in Smoke Eaters BCHL history, inheriting the “C” from now-graduated defenseman Clayton McEwan.

Smoke Eaters training camp runs through Sunday at the Cominco Arena. The 2012-13 BCHL season opener takes place Saturday, September 8th at the Save-On Foods BCHL Showcase in Chilliwack against the Cowichan Valley Capitals.

Penticton Forward Wade Murphy Decommits From Merrimack College:

It's certain that Penticton Vees 18-year-old forward Wade Murphy will play college hockey next season, but the question is where after he decommitted from Merrimack College on Thursday.

With his skill set, I'm sure that Murphy won't have a shortage of NCAA offers coming his way this season in the BCHL.

F Wade Murphy (93)
Here's the release from the Vees website:

PENTICTON, BC–The Penticton Vees Junior Hockey Club announce ‘93 Forward Wade Murphy has decommitted from Merrimack College.

“These situations are never easy, Wade simply felt he rushed into a decision and has decided he wants to reevaluate where he will play college hockey next year,” stated Vees Head Coach & GM Fred Harbinson.

Including playoffs, Murphy has played in 145 career games in the BCHL between Victoria and Penticton, collecting 57 goals and 132 points. The Victoria product tallied 27 points in 26 playoff games last season earning him Co-Playoff MVP honours.

The Vees open their Main Camp tonight with the first of three intrasquad games starting at 6pm at the South Okanagan Events Centre. Main Camp is open to the public and runs August 23rd-25th.

Powell River Kings Hire Derek Bachynski As Assistant Coach:

The Powell River Kings added a key member to Kent Lewis' coaching staff on Wednesday, with the hired of Dave Bachynski as Assistant Coach. He replaces Geoff Grimwood, who resigned to take a job as Assistant Coach with the WHL's Victoria Royals and as Head Coach of the South Island Royals major midget team.

Here's the release from the Kings website:

Powell River, BC– August 22, 2012 - It has been a summer with some changes for the Powell River Kings' staff. Derek Bachynski arrived in town yesterday as the Kings' new Assistant Coach and the final missing piece to the staff for the upcoming 2012-2013 season.

Derek was born and raised in Windsor, Ontario and comes to the Kings with a resume full of experience both as a coach and as a player. He played NCAA Division 1 hockey for Wayne State University from 2004-2008 where he also earned his Bachelor of Business Administration. After completing his undergrad, he moved to Europe to play hockey in the Holland Premiere Division for the Groningen Grizzlies for a year.

After the stint playing hockey overseas, Derek returned home and started his coaching career with the Leamington Junior ‘B’ Flyers. From there, he continued to develop his coaching skills as an Assistant Coach and the Director of Ohio University’s ‘Learn to Play’ program. He then came back to Ontario where he was an Assistant Coach for the Sun County Panthers Bantam AAA and then worked for the University of Windsor’s Lancers men’s hockey program. His years of experience provide him with a strong foundation with a skill set that will easily translate into the role of Assistant Coach for the Kings.

Derek looks forward to living and working on the Sunshine Coast. “BC has always been somewhere where I wanted to live and work. It’s a privilege to be here.”

“During my time of searching for coaching positions the BCHL was always the league that I was attracted to and specifically Powell River with their track record with success. I reached out to Kent and he was one of the few coaches in the BCHL with advice about coaching, which direction I should go in and to keep in touch should anything change. It right away felt like a good fit.”

Coach Bachynski is focused and knows what he wants to bring to the team. Saying, “Part of my philosophy is hard work and team work. I wanted to develop these players not only on the ice but off the ice as character and focus is extremely important.”

Kings' Head Coach and General Manager Kent Lewis is pleased to have Bachynski on the staff team saying, “Derek comes in fresh with a great playing background and experience. He sought us out and we were fortunate enough to know people that knew him well and who said positive things about him. Derek will be a key part to the staff team and the development of our program. He’s done a lot of great things in hockey and I’m sure we’ll continue to see that develop here in Powell River.”

Former Assistant Coach Geoff Grimwood has moved on to the Western Hockey League’s Victoria Royals where he will be working as an Assistant Coach as well as the Head Coach for the Major Midgets.

GM and Coach Lewis reflects on Geoff’s contributions to the Kings’ program, “Geoff had a long history with the Kings first as a player trying out, then as a Junior ‘B’ coach whom we worked closely with, and then as a successful assistant coach here with the team. He brought a lot to the table over the past two years and contributed to the success of our program. I know that he will continue to find success in his coaching career.”

The Kings thank Geoff for all he did for the Kings’ program and wish him all the best in his new role and much success in his coaching pursuits.

Alberni Valley Bulldogs Hire Spiros Anastas as GM & Matt Korchmar as Goalie Coach:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs shored up their Hockey Operations department on Thursday, adding Spiros Anastas as General Manager and Matt Korchmar as Goaltending Coach.

Here's the release from the Bulldogs website:

In two separate press releases, the Alberni Valley Bulldogs add two key staff: goalie coach Matt Korchmar and general manager Spiros Anastas.

Here are both press releases:

MATT KORCHMAR:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are proud to announce that Matt Korchmar will replace Perry Elderbroom of Gold In The Net as the Alberni Valley Bulldogs' goalie coach.

Korchmar makes his return to the Alberni Valley and to the organization. Korchmar appeared in 9 games between the pipes for the Bulldogs in 2006/07 before moving on to play for the Portage Terriers and the Fort McMurray Oil Barons.

“It’s nice to be back in Port Alberni with the organization that I got my start and still be able to see some familiar faces,” said Korchmar.

During Korchmar’s tenure with the Bulldogs, he billeted with current Bulldogs’ educational advisor Tom McEvay.

“I’m very excited to work with the team and the goalies this season,” added Korchmar. “I look forward to the opportunity to with Rick, Kevin, and Adam this season and help our goalies become one of the stronger tandems in the league.”

Korchmar is entering his 8th year as a goalie coach and instructor.  Matt has quickly established himself as one of the top goalie coaches in British Columbia. Matt has worked closely with and learned from several NHL goalie coaches.

“Matt is a former Bulldog making our relationship that much stronger,” said Alberni Valley Bulldogs director of hockey operations Rick Schievink. “The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are honored and excited to have Matt back in the Alberni Valley and a part of the organization.”

Korchmar will also instruct at the Alberni District Hockey Canada Skills Academy and will also be available for additional goalie instruction here in Port Alberni.

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs would also like to thank Perry Elderbroom for the contributions he made to the organization and wish him continued success.

SPIROS ANASTAS ANNOUCEMENT:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are pleased to announce the appointment of Spiros Anastas to the position of General Manager effective immediately. Alberni Valley Bulldogs/Port Alberni Junior Hockey Society Director Darren DeLuca confirmed the appointment today and commented that the team and the society are very pleased to recruit someone of Spiros’ caliber to join the team. “It is a credit to both the reputation of the Alberni Valley Bulldogs and the BCHL. Spiros will be an important element in the long term health and sustainability of the organization. ” said DeLuca, adding that the new position is intended to focus specifically on achieving business excellence within the organization and will provide the final link in the staff and management team that is already in place for the coming season.

Anastas brings excitement and energy to his new role and holds a BA in Economics and a BSc in Business Administration/Accounting along with a recently completed a Masters’ degree in Sports Administration. Anastas, a Mississauga, Ontario native, had a Junior A career in the OPJHL with the Bancroft Hawks, Huntsville Otters, and Vaughn Vipers from 2002 to 2006 before attending Lebanon Valley College as a dual sport student-athlete, competing in Track & Field and anchoring the Hockey team as Captain for four seasons. Anastas brings a variety of both on and off ice experiences having held Assistant Coaching positions at Lebanon Valley College and most recently Western Michigan University.

Anastas was in Port Alberni earlier this month at the Junior Prep Camp and fell in love with the community and its evident passion and support for hockey. "I am extremely thrilled to be joining the Alberni Valley Bulldogs. I see a very bright future for the team and I'm excited to be a part of it. We will need all hands on deck from top to bottom and support from all of our fans and sponsors so we can reach our goals and I am looking forward to helping make that happen, and to make Port Alberni proud. ” said Anastas.

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs would like to welcome Spiros to the organization and look forward to a successful 2012 – 2013 season.

The public’s first opportunity to see this years’ team on the ice is Saturday night when the Dogs host the Cowichan Valley Capitals in BCHL exhibition play, the puck drops at the Alberni Valley Multiplex at 7.

Former Prince George Cougars Forward Greg Fraser Signs With Nanaimo:

(Photo credit: Prince George Cougars)

This move was speculated earlier this summer, but on Tuesday it was confirmed that 20-year-old forward Greg Fraser was returning to his hometown to join the Nanaimo Clippers for his final season of junior hockey.

Fraser asked for a trade from the Prince George Cougars to a locale where he could continue his education and when a deal didn't come to fruition, he was released and signed with the Clippers.

F Greg Fraser (92)
Here's the release from the Clippers website:

The Nanaimo Clippers are pleased to announce the addition of Nanaimo's own Greg Fraser.
Fraser, who's Father Ian is a former Clippers Coach, returns to his home town team after playing 251 games in four seasons with the Prince George Cougars of the Western Hockey League.
In the 2011-2012 season the 20 year old, 6"2 189lb Forward played 68 games, tallied 16 goals, 11 assists, and earned 55 penalty minutes.
"We are very excited to be adding Greg to our roster for the upcoming season.He is a local hockey product who has a tremendous amount of Major Junior experience" commented Coach Vandekamp "His experience will pay dividends both on and off the ice. He is a true two way player who will play many important minutes for us in all situations. Most importantly he is a great person who will fit in very well with the rest of our group. We would like to welcome Greg and his family to the Clippers Family.

Former Kamloops Blazers Forward Ryan Hanes Signs With Cowichan Valley:

 (Photo credit: Kamloops Blazers)

After much speculation on where he would end up after being waived by the Kamloops Blazers a week and a half ago, 20-year-old forward Ryan Hanes will play out his final year of junior hockey with the Cowichan Valley Capitals.

Jon Keen at Radio NL in Kamloops was the first to break the story on Twitter yesterday and Gregg Drinnan confirmed on his blog that Cowichan had Hanes' junior A rights all along.

F Ryan Hanes (92)
Neither the Capitals nor Blazers have posted anything official on their websites, but Hanes himself has confirmed the move on Twitter.

Here's reporter Mark Hunter's article from the Kamloops Daily News:

Ryan Hanes is heading into uncharted territory.

Hanes, 20, has decided to move to Duncan to play for the BCHL’s Cowichan Capitals. He made the decision 10 days after his hometown Kamloops Blazers, with whom he had spent three seasons, put him on WHL waivers.

Before now, Hanes’s hockey career had been based solely in Kamloops.

He went through the Kamloops Minor Hockey Association — the Blazers took him in the fifth round, 99th overall, of the 2007 bantam draft. He spent time with the major-midget Thompson Blazers and the KIJHL’s Kamloops Storm before joining the Blazers in 2009-10.

On Sunday, he’ll head to Duncan.

“I’ve only been over there to play in Victoria last season,” Hanes said Thursday, of the Blazers games against the WHL’s Royals. “I don’t know a whole lot about it.”

He does know that the Capitals had his rights, and convinced him to come play.

“They protected my rights . . . I didn’t even know they could do that, but they did,” Hanes said. “The called and asked me to come. It sounded good.”

Hanes played 181 regular-season games for the Blazers, scoring 16 goals and adding 24 assists. He also had 316 penalty minutes as he became a fan favourite for his feisty play.

Last season, as a 19-year-old, Hanes set career highs in goals (8), assists (14) and points (22) in playing 55 games. He was plus-12. He also appeared in 11 playoff games, ending with a goal and an assist, as the Blazers took the Portland Winterhawks to Game 7 in the second round.

But he was one of five 20-year-olds on the Blazers’ roster, so fell victim to the numbers game.
Kamloops still has forwards Jordan DePape, Brendan Ranford and Dylan Willick and defenceman Austin Madaisky to battle for the three 20-year-old spots. Madaisky, a Columbus Blue Jackets prospect, may play with the AHL’s Springfield Falcons this season, but an NHL lockout could affect that.

Hanes said he has talked with Jim Ingram, the Capitals’ general manager and head coach, but doesn’t know much, if anything, about his role on the team.

“I haven’t really had time to think about that,” he said. “It’s all happened so fast.”

The Capitals have been on the ice already, and will open their exhibition season tonight against the Grizzlies in Victoria. Cowichan also will take on the host Alberni Valley Bulldogs on Saturday.

Hanes will arrive Sunday and practice with the Capitals on Monday and Tuesday, before heading to Nanaimo for a Wednesday exhibition game against the Clippers.

It’s a quick turnaround for Hanes, who won’t have the benefit of a training camp.

“I’m not worried,” he said.

JUST NOTES: The Capitals’ leading scorer last season was F Devin Gannon, a Kamloops native who was playing his final junior season. In 59 games, Gannon had 79 points, including 51 assists. . . . F Brandon Mistal, another Kamloops product, had 32 points, 13 of them goals, in 61 games with the Capitals last season. He has since been traded to the Salmon Arm Silverbacks, with whom he played from 2009-2011.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Nanaimo-Woodstock Trade:

As host of the inaugural Western Canadian Cup next spring, the Nanaimo Clippers are building for a strong season, not wanting to back into the tournament as the hosts.

They added a big piece to their blueline today, acquiring 18-year-old defenceman Chris Rygus from the Maritime Junior Hockey League's Woodstock Slammers for future considerations. Rygus is massive at 6'3" and 209 lbs. plus he has 31 junior A playoff games, including six this past May in the RBC Cup.

He was in Clippers training camp this past week, Nanaimo play-by-play voice Dan Marshall confirmed to me that Rygus had permission from the Slammers to participate in hopes that a trade could be worked out.

Neither team has posted details on the trade on their websites, but it has been posted on both the BCHL and MHL websites.

To Nanaimo Clippers:
D Chris Rygus (93)
To Woodstock Slammers:
Future Considerations

Trail-Thunder Bay Trade:

The Trail Smoke Eaters added another piece to their blueline by acquiring 18-year-old defenceman Matt Alexander from the SIJHL's Thunder Bay North Stars.

Alexander joins Braden Jones, Djordje Leposavic and Wayland Williams as just four of the newcomers on the back end for Bill Birks' squad that looks to improve on its' last place finish in 2011-12.

Neither team has confirmed the deal with an official media release, but it was in a Thunder Bay newspaper yesterday and is now listed on the "Transactions" page of the BCHL website.

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
D Matt Alexander (94)
To Thunder Bay North Stars:
Future Considerations

2012 World Junior A Challenge Schedule Released:

Although it's taking place across the country, there's no doubt that there will be a BCHL presence at the 2012 World Junior A Challenge this November as Canada West usually has a number of players from the BCHL on its roster. Now we know when the games will be played as Hockey Canada released the schedule for this year's tournament yesterday.

Here's the release from Hockey Canada:

Hockey Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Junior Hockey League, announced Wednesday the game schedule for the 2012 World Junior A Challenge, set for Nov. 5-11 at the Mariners Centre in Yarmouth.

Canada West, the defending gold medallist, will play in Group A with the Czech Republic and Russia, while Canada East, Switzerland and the United States will comprise Group B.

Canada East will be the first Canadian team to see action, taking on the United States on Monday, Nov. 5, while Canada West will make its 2012 debut Tuesday, Nov. 6 when it faces the Czech Republic.

The first-place team in each group will receive a bye to the semifinals on Friday, Nov. 9, with the second-place and third-place teams crossing over for the quarter-finals on Thursday, Nov. 8. The losers of the semifinals will meet for the bronze medal on Saturday, Nov. 10, while the winners will face off for gold on Sunday, Nov. 11.

CLICK HERE FOR THE 2012 WORLD JUNIOR A CHALLENGE SCHEDULE

In addition to the World Junior A Challenge, the CJHL Prospects Games will also be held during the week. The two-game total-goal series between Team East and Team West features the top 40 NHL draft-eligible players from Canada’s 10 Junior A leagues and is a unique opportunity to give CJHL prospects an unprecedented audience of scouts from across North America. Player selection is a joint initiative of the CJHL and NHL Central Scouting.

The first of the two games will be held Saturday, Nov. 10 in Digby, N.S., with the second scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 11 in Yarmouth, preceding the 2012 World Junior A Challenge gold medal game.

“The CJHL and Junior A hockey are about development, exposure and opportunity for our players, and the World Junior A Challenge and CJHL Prospects Games deliver all of these,” said Kirk Lamb, chairman of the Canadian Junior Hockey League. “With elite prospects competing for the attention of scouts from all over the globe, the people of Yarmouth are in for some tremendous hockey and entertainment.”

“Every season, the profile of Junior A hockey continues to grow, and the World Junior A Challenge is a key component to that growth,” said Bob Nicholson, president and CEO of Hockey Canada. “Canada’s Junior A leagues are continuing to produce world-class players, and hockey fans in Yarmouth are in for a treat when the puck drops in November.

Full-tournament 15-game ticket packages are now on sale, including tickets to all 13 games at the 2012 World Junior A Challenge and both CJHL Prospects Games, for only $199. To purchase tickets, CLICK HERE.

Single-game ticket information will be announced closer to the start of the 2012 World Junior A Challenge.

Since the first World Junior A Challenge in 2006 in Yorkton and Humboldt, Sask., more than 100 NHL draft picks have played in the tournament, including 18 first-round selections (Beau Bennett, Alexander Burmistrov, Joe Colborne, Nikita Filatov, Mikhail Grigorenko, Dmitri Kulikov, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Hampus Lindholm, John Moore, Vladislav Namestnikov, Riley Nash, Dylan Olsen, Jordan Schmaltz, Jaden Schwartz, Brendan Smith, Kyle Turris, Andrei Vasilevski and Nail Yakupov).

Every gold medal game at the World Junior A Challenge has featured at least one Canadian team. Canada West won gold at the first two tournaments, in 2006 and 2007, before taking the top prize last year; it also earned silver in 2008 and 2009. Canada East was silver medallist in 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011, and claimed bronze in 2008.

For more information on the 2012 World Junior A Challenge, please visit www.hockeycanada.ca/wjac, or follow along via social media at www.facebook.com/wjrac or www.twitter.com/hc_wjac.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Former Salmon Arm Defenceman Michael Glaicar Signs With CHL's Rapid City Rush for 2012-13:

Former Salmon Arm Silverbacks defenceman Michael Glaicar has signed with the Central Hockey League's Rapid City Rush for the 2012-13 season.

D Mike Glaicar This is the release from the Rush's website (I've bold and italicized the part about Glaicar):

(Rapid City, SD) – On Thursday, the Rapid City Rush announced two more players signed for the upcoming 2012-13 Central Hockey League season. Joining the fold is veteran forward Jarrett Konkle and rookie defenseman Mike Glaicar, bringing the total number of players signed to fifteen.

Konkle, 29, is a 6-foot, 200-pound winger that is coming off of one of his best seasons, leading the EIHL’s Dundee Stars with 22 goals in 53 games.

“We’re very excited to get a player with the credentials that Jarrett brings for the upcoming season,” said Rush Head Coach Joe Ferras. “He is a proven goal scorer and has been an impact player everywhere he has played, including the ECHL and AHL levels. He is a dynamic player that can play both wings, has a tremendous shot, and is a player that will go into tough areas to score goals. With the experience that Jarrett brings to the pro game, he knows that he will be looked upon to be a leader both off the ice and in the locker room to help groom all of the new young talented hockey players that we have.”

Prior to taking his game overseas, Konkle spent nearly his entire career in the ECHL where he suited up for six teams, appearing in 246 regular season games. In that span, Konkle totaled 85 goals and 107 assists for 192 points and also added 167 penalty minutes.

“I’m ecstatic to join the Rush,” said Konkle. “Having never played in the CHL, I did a lot of research, asked guys that have played for and against Rapid, and everybody spoke very highly of the organization and town. I hear it’s the toughest place to play if you’re an opponent and I definitely wanted to be a part of such a storied and supported franchise. I’ll be able to add some offensive punch to the lineup, but also focus on my all around game, helping on the penalty kill and in defensive situations. I’m also looking forward to being a leader and working with the younger players on our squad.”

During the 2008-09 season, the Toronto, Ontario native played 13 games for the Binghamton Senators of the AHL where he picked up three points (1G, 2A). After four years of NCAA Division III hockey at Elmira College, the seven-year veteran turned pro with the Elmira Jackals of the UHL in 2005-06.

In addition, the Rush added rookie defenseman Mike Glaicar who brings a 6-foot 5-inch, 220-pound frame to the blueline.

“Mike just completed a very good four-year career at Quinnipiac where he was one of the top defensive d-men in the ECAC,” continued Ferras. “He has tremendous size, plays with an edge, and takes pride in shutting down other teams top players. Having been the top conditioned athlete at his university, we know he takes his training seriously and will come to camp in shape. We’re looking for mike to make the transition from college to pro smoothly and be a physical force on the back end.”

In four years at Quinnipiac University, the 23-year-old Glaicar skated in 139 games where he picked up 12 assists and 104 penalty minutes. In back-to-back years (junior & senior), Glaicar was named the Quinnipiac Strength and Conditioning MVP which is awarded to one male and one female athlete.

“I’m thrilled to join the Rush and get my pro career started,” stated Glaicar. “With all of the research that I’ve done, Rapid City seems like a premier place to play and live. The organization is well run with solid ownership, has a great coach, and a well-established fan base. Personally, I see the pro game matching my style a lot better as opposed to college. I’ll be able to use my size to my advantage since the pro level is more positional and structured.”

Glaicar, a native of Kamloops, British Columbia, is looking to complete his Masters degree in Business by October, just over four years after starting undergraduate classes.

Prince George-Canmore Trade:

The Prince George Spruce Kings have now traded away two players they acquired from AJHL teams last season as yesterday they moved forward Zack Rassell back to the Canmore Eagles for future considerations.

Earlier this off-season, the Spruce Kings moved goaltender Ty Swabb, also to the Eagles, after acquiring him from the St. Albert Steel back on December 1, 2011.

By trading Rassell, Prince George GM Mike Hawes gives himself another 20-year-old spot heading into the 2012-13 season as he only one available prior to the deal.

To Canmore Eagles:
F Zack Rassell (92) To Prince George Spruce Kings:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Eagles website:

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 – The Canmore Eagles of the Alberta Junior Hockey League are very pleased to announce that they have re-acquired power forward Zack Rassell from the Prince George Spruce Kings in exchange for future considerations.

The 6’1”, 195-pound, 20-year-old was dealt to Prince George at the trade deadline last year after playing for the Eagles for the previous two and a half seasons. While in an Eagle uniform last season, Rassell registered nine goals and 19 assists in 38 games. During the 2010-2011 season, Rassell registered 21 points in 41 games for the Eagles before breaking his hand blocking a shot that ended his season early.

“We are extremely pleased to welcome Zack back into our lineup,” said Eagle’s Head Coach and General Manager Andrew Milne. “I’ve known Zack for a few years now and he will provide us with leadership, size and skill. He understands what it takes to be successful in the AJHL. This will be Zack’s final year of eligibility for a college or university scholarship, so I have no doubt that he will be very motivated to have an outstanding season.”

“I am absolutely ecstatic to be coming back to Canmore” said Rassell, who indicated that he has been training very hard this summer and is expecting to report to training camp in the best shape of his life. “I am so lucky to have a second chance to resume my hockey career in Canmore. Canmore is such a great place to play junior hockey. I really missed the town, the players and my billet family. My heart is in Canmore!”

Ironically, with his return to Canmore, Rassell will be re-united with new Eagle goaltender Ty Swabb, who was also obtained from Prince George in the off-season.

“Canmore fans will be very impressed with Ty – he is an excellent goaltender,” said Rassell. “He ended the Penticton Vee’s 42 game winning streak pretty much by himself with an unbelievable performance. Ty will be huge for the Eagles this season. He was one of my best friends on the PG team, so it will be fun to play hockey with him again.”

With the addition of Rassell, the Eagles now have the potential of seven 20-year-olds on their roster. Only six 20-year-olds are allowed to dress for any given game. The other 20-year olds currently on the roster include goaltenders Ty Swabb and Michael Salmon, defencemen Ciaron Driscoll and Alex Barnes, and forwards Riley Point and Steven Phee.

Alberni Valley-Drumheller Trade:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs got into the action as a flurry of BCHL trades came down in the last 24 hours, sending forward Justin Morello (92) to the AJHL's Drumheller Dragons for the junior 'A' rights to defenceman Darian Henry (94).

It's the second time this summer that Henry's been traded as earlier in the WHL, the Everett Silvertips moved him to the Calgary Hitmen. He will try out for Calgary next month, but if he doesn't make the team and the Hitmen want him to return to junior 'A', then it'll be with the Bulldogs.

For Morello, it's a homecoming of sorts as he played 76 games in Drumheller to start his junior career back in 2008-09. By trading him, the Bulldogs have also freed up another 20-year-old spot heading into the season.

To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
D Darian Henry (94) To Drumheller Dragons:
F Justin Morello (92)

Here's the release from the Bulldogs website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs would like to announce that the organization has aquired the playing rights to 1994-born defenseman Darian Henry from the Drumheller Dragons in the AJHL in exchange for the playing rights of 1992-born forward Justin Morello.

Henry started the 2011/12 campaign with the Everett Silvertips in the WHL after being selected by the ‘Tips in the 7th round of the 2009 WHL bantam draft. Henry registered only one assist in 16 games in Everett before being reassigned to Drumheller, registering one goal, two assists, and 62 penalty minutes, also in 16 games. Henry is a big, physical, stay-at-home defenseman who is 6’3” and 170lbs.

“Given the opportunity to acquire Darian Henry, we knew that we had to give up some talent to get his talent,” said Alberni Valley Bulldogs head coach Kevin Willison. “We are always looking to upgrade our defensive core, either immediately or for the near future,” continued Willison. “A defenseman that has Western Hockey League experience will give us valuable experience this season and for years to come.”

Henry will start the season with the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League after the club recently acquired his rights from Everett.

To acquire Henry, the Alberni Valley Bulldogs sent 1992-born forward Justin Morello to the Drumheller Dragons. Morello was limited to 30 games in 2011/12 for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs due to injuries. Morello posted 28 points in 30 games.

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs would like to thank Justin for the contributions he made to our organization and wish him all the best with Drumheller.

Surrey-North York Trade:

The Surrey Eagles made a bit of a shocking move on Thursday as they traded one of their top returning scorers in forward Sean McGovern (93) to the North York Rangers of the OJHL in exchange for defenceman Brett Seldon (94).

The trade is also the first of the off-season for Eagles head coach and GM Matt Erhart. He's signed a number of recruits, including goaltender Edward Dyson from the now-defunct Dawson Creek Rage of the NAHL, but not made a player-for-player transaction just yet (at least not any that have been made public at this point).

To Surrey Eagles:
D Brett Seldon (94) To North York Rangers:
F Sean McGovern (93) + Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Eagles website:

For Immediate Release: August 16, 2012

Surrey, B.C. - The Surrey Eagles announced today the acquisition of the playing rights of defenseman Brett Seldon (94) from the North York Rangers of the OJHL in exchange for the playing rights of forward Sean McGovern (93) and future considerations.

 “We’re excited to add Brett to the roster,” said Eagles Head Coach and General Manager Matt Erhart. “He’ll provide some more veteran leadership and size to our back end, and we’re thrilled to have him for the upcoming season.”

Seldon is a native of Thornhill, Ontario and has played two seasons with the Rangers tallying 19 points in 88 games. The 18-year old is listed at 6’2 and 195 pounds and was an assistant captain in North York last season.

McGovern spent one season in Surrey and posted 39 points in 59 games. The Eagles would like to wish Sean all the best in his future endeavors.

Make sure to get your 2012-2013 Surrey Eagles season tickets and guarantee the best seats to watch exciting Junior A hockey.  Visit www.surreyeagles.ca or call 604-531-GOAL (4325) for more details.