Saturday, July 28, 2012

Alberni Valley Bulldogs Release Kalashnikov Brothers:

I don't know exactly what this means, but my initial thought is that any team that is willing to renew the transfer agreement with the Belarusian Ice Hockey Association is able to sign the Kalashnikov brothers to a Hockey Canada player card. The Bulldogs put this out yesterday:

Bulldogs Release Kalashnikovs

PRESS RELEASE

July 27, 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs announced today that the club has opted not to renew the player transfer agreement with the Belarusian Ice Hockey Association for Arty and Yan Kalashnikov for the 2012-13 season.

The organization would like to thank Arty and Yan for the contributions they made to the organization this past season.

F Artsiom Kalashnikov (93)

F Yan Kalashnikov (92)

Friday, July 27, 2012

Victoria Grizzlies Name Zach Urban Team Captain for 2012-13:

This is posted on Victoria's website:

July 26, 2012 Victoria Grizzlies

The Victoria Grizzlies Hockey Club is pleased to announce that veteran BCHL and RBC Champion Zach Urban has been named Team Captain for the 2012 -2013 season.

General Manager and Head Coach Bill Bestwick today introduced Urban to the community and Victoria media at an event at the Grizzlies’ Bear Mountain Arena.

“The appointment of a Captain is one of the most important decisions we will make. Zach is a perfect fit and his experience, winning attitude, work ethic and knowing what it takes to win makes him a natural,” said Bestwick.

Urban is entering his third season of BCHL competition and was a defensive stalwart on the blue line for the BCHL record-setting Penticton Vees. Last season, he played in 58 regular season games and every game of the playoffs, contributing four goals and 18 assists, with 88 penalty
minutes.

The 19-year-old Kelowna native measures in at 6’ 3" and 205 lbs, and is described as a 'fearless competitor' with a 'team first' approach to the game. Urban will be heavily counted on for his leadership on and off the ice and looks forward to getting started.

“I am very honoured to be chosen to captain this team and play in a Grizzlies uniform. I am excited for the challenge to lead this hockey club on and off the ice,” said Urban. “Zach is a champion. He is a character player, hard nosed and gritty. I am certain his work ethic and expectations will positively influence his teammates and make him a fan favorite,” added Bestwick.

The Victoria Grizzlies Hockey Club remains extremely active in the off-season under its new ownership group. A number of recent player transactions bring added depth, quality and experience to the line up:

• National champion D.J. Jones joins the Grizzlies from Penticton in a trade that sees Alex Holland head to the Vees. The 20-year-old defenceman joins his former teammate Zach Urban in Victoria to bolster the Grizzlies strength on the blue line.

• Forward Brett Hartskamp has been acquired from the Swan Valley Stampeders Hockey Club of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League. Hartskamp played for Grizzlies Coach Bill Bestwick in Nanaimo before being moved to the MJHL last season. The veteran BCHL forward will add experience to the young Grizzlies offence.

• Turner Lawson comes to Victoria from the Vernon Vipers. Lawson was the future player to be named in the deal that saw former Grizzlies Sean Robertson head to Vernon midseason. The 19-year-old is a versatile forward who is expected to make a strong mark up front this season.

• Goaltender Brady Rouleau and forward Garrett Skrbich join the Grizzlies in a multi-player deal with the Westside Warriors announced earlier in July. Rouleau, 6’1” and 175 lbs., is an impressive starting goaltender who was a standout for the Cowichan Valley Capitals last season. Skrbich enters his second season in the BCHL, with good experience and offensive capacity. Skrbich is already committed to Princeton of the NCAA for 2013 and will be counted on to raise the competition level and depth of the forward position.

Fans will get their first opportunity to see the new Victoria Grizzlies in action when Training Camp gets underway August 20 at Bear Mountain Arena. The Grizzlies first exhibition game is scheduled for August 24 at home against the Cowichan Valley Capitals.

For information on season ticket packages and exhibition game tickets, visit www.victoriagrizzlies.com or call 250-385-1555.

Surrey Eagles Add Brendan Batchelor as Director of Media Relations & Play-By-Play Announcer:

This is posted on the Surrey Eagles website:

The Surrey Eagles are very pleased to announce the hiring of Brendan Batchelor as the team’s Director of Media Relations and play-by-play broadcaster for the coming season.

A native of Coquitlam, Batchelor was a minor hockey player and official throughout his childhood. After graduating from high school, he attended the British Columbia Institute of Technology, graduating with distinction from the Broadcast and Media Communications – Broadcast Journalism program. He spent the last three seasons as the public address announcer for the Coquitlam Express and currently works as an announcer and reporter at TEAM Radio Vancouver. He will continue his duties at the radio station in addition to his new role with the Eagles.

“This is a very exciting opportunity for me,” said Batchelor. “I’m thrilled to be joining an organization that has a reputation for excelling both on and off the ice, and I can’t wait for the season to begin.”

Batchelor replaces Colin Tiggelaar who left the Eagles at the conclusion of the 2011-2012 season.

Make sure to get your 2012-2013 Surrey Eagles season tickets and guarantee the best seats to watch exciting Junior A hockey.  Visit www.surreyeagles.ca or call 604-531-GOAL (4325) for more details.

Powell River Kings Forward Steven Schmidt Commits to Queen's University:

This is posted on Powell River's website:

Powell River, BCJuly 23, 2012 - The Kings are proud to announce that Steven Schmidt has committed to Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. Steven will be wearing the CIS’s Golden Gael jersey in September of 2012.

Hailing from Campbell River, Steven first made an impact during the Kings' playoff run in 2009-2010 and was a vital leader on the ice ever since tallying 53 points over 2 regular seasons and 15 points over 3 playoff runs. Wearing number 18, Steven Schmidt played with grit and was recognized for his pursuit of the puck, persistent fore checking, and being a smart and reliable player in all zones.

Kings' head coach and general manager Kent Lewis is proud of Schmidt saying, “Steven is going to one of the top schools in the country. We are pleased that he secured a spot in Queen's and are confident he will thrive there both on the ice and academically. Steven has a great character and is sure to go on to find great success through this next endeavor.”

Steven chose to pursue his post-secondary career at Queen's University because of its strong academic stature. While pursuing his first year in sciences and then deciding which faculty to pursue from there, Steven looks forward to the opportunity of being able to contribute to the Queens hockey program. He will also be joining teammate Brendon MacDonald who secured a spot on the Gael’s squad earlier this summer.

The Campbell River native loved his time in Powell River. “The enthusiasm of the coaches as well as the improvement of the program over the past few years has been incredible. The Kings really helped me get in touch with the Queen's program and also assisted in promoting the skills I have that may not be noticeable at first glance. To the future Kings, always strive to become a better player even when you feel you have reached your peak.”

Fans can read further information on the Queen's University Gaels’ hockey program by visiting their website by clicking on this link.

Congratulations Steven on this great achievement and all the best in these future endeavors!

F Steven Schmidt (91)

Nanaimo Clippers Sign Forward Steve Hladin:

This is posted on Nanaimo's website:

The Nanaimo Clippers are pleased to announce the commitment of Steve Hladin.

Steve is an 18 year old Forward who played for the Vaughan Vipers of the OJHL last season.  As a first year player last season he had 14 goals and 25 assists for 39 points in 42 games.  He is 6’0” 175lbs and is from Mississauga, Ontario.

At the end of the 2011-2012 season the Vaughan Vipers team folded which allowed all of their players to become free agents.  Steve was offered a contract to play Major Junior this season but has opted to join the Clippers and pursue an NCAA Scholarship.

Coach Vandekamp had this to say when asked about the addition of Steve:

“We are very excited to add Steve to our lineup for the upcoming season.  He had very impressive numbers for a first year Junior ‘A’ player last season and we are looking forward to seeing him develop into a good offensive forward for us this year.  He is a smart player who will bring skill and offensive creativity to our lineup.  I am very familiar with the group that Steve has been training with this off season and I am confident that he has the character and work ethic that we want to build our team around.  The Clippers welcome Steve and his Family to the team and look forward to seeing him here at Main Camp on Aug. 20th.”

F Steve Hladin (94)

Cowichan Valley Capitals Sign Defenceman Corey Scammon:

This is posted on Cowichan Valley's website:

For Immediate Release:

The Cowichan Valley Capitals are pleased to announce the addition of Defenseman Corey Scammon for the 2012-13 BCHL Season.

Scammon a 1993 product from Orlando Florida comes to the Caps after two highly productive seasons with the Cushing Academy Penguins including last season where he was team captain.

Cushing coach Rob Gagnon described Scammon as “very elusive and deceptive, with great escapability. He’s the best first passer I’ve had at Cushing, and he’s a point-producing D.”

Scammon has already committed to UMass-Lowell for 2013.
D Corey Scammon (93)

Coquitlam Express Sign Forward Zack Pryzbek:

This is posted on the Express website:

The Express announced the signing of St. Catharines, Ont., native Zack Pryzbek recently, joining former teammates and previously announced Marc Biega and Cal Hofford to the roster for the 2012-13 season.  Pryzbek, an 18-year-old left winger, is eager to bring his game out west and play with his two former teammates. What he'll bring to the rink is a big, six-foot-three presence along the boards who can bury the puck.

"I'd have to say a power forward who's not afraid to go to the dirty areas and grind it out," Pryzbek said when asked to describe his game. "I also play with a mean streak, as well, and play both ends of the ice." Last season he scored seven times and set up 10 others in 26 games with the prep squad, which came second in the New England championships. He ended up accepting a scholarship to Brown University for 2013-14 - where he'll join former Express sniper Massimo Lamacchia.

F Zack Pryzbek (94)

Penticton-Toronto Trade:

(New Penticton defenceman James De Haas - photo courtesy of OJHL)

In a deal that's been rumoured about and worked on for over a month, Penticton swung yet another trade today, finalizing the acquisition of D James De Haas from the OJHL's Toronto Lakeshore Patriots in exchange for F Mike Sones (92).

I first heard of De Haas going to Penticton back in June after he was drafted to the Detroit Red Wings and this was posted on their website:
JAMES de HAAS, D, 6th ROUND, No. 170: “He's a defenseman, 6-2, got good range, skates well, he'll play in Penticton BC junior for one season and then he'll go to college after that at Clarkson (University).”
I Tweeted that the Vees had picked him up but De Haas himself plus Toronto denied that any deal was done at that point. I don't know how the Red Wings knew that De Haas was coming to Penticton, but somehow along the line, the trade waters got murky and it took until now to sort it out.

To Penticton Vees:
D James De Haas (94)

To Toronto Lakeshore Patriots:
F Mike Sones (92)

Here's the official release from the Vees website:

VEES ADD ANOTHER PIECE TO THEIR BLUE-LINE

PENTICTON, BC – The Penticton Vees Hockey Club has acquired defenseman James De Haas (94) from the Toronto Lakeshore Patriots, for the rights of forward Mike Sones (92).

De Haas played 45 games in 2011-2012, where he collected 10 goals, 29 points and 32 Penalty-Minutes. In 21 playoff games, De Haas accumulated five goals and 12 points, helping the Patriots to a Conference Championship appearance. The 18 year-old was drafted this past June by the Detroit Red Wings in the sixth round, 170th overall. De Haas is committed for Clarkson University, for the fall of 2013.

Vees Head Coach and GM Fred Harbinson says De Haas is someone the Vees had on their radar for a while, “We’ve been hard at work on this deal for quite some time. James has all the tools, size, quick feet and smart puck moving ability. We are very fortunate to add a player with James skill set and determination.”

Clarkson University is located in Potsdam, New York and play in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference in NCAA Division l Hockey. The Golden Knights have made 20 NCAA postseason appearances, winning five ECAC tournament titles and 10 regular-season championships in their 90 year history. Former Vee, Ben Sexton will captain the Golden Knights in 2012-2013. Notable NHL alumni include Erik Cole and Willie Mitchell, both Stanley Cup Champions.

De Haas checks in a 6’3 and 200 lbs. adding more size to the Vees blue-line. The De Haas trade comes on the heels of another acquisition, where the Vees added another sizable defenseman Rob Mann, from the Markham Waxers.

The first chance to see the new acquisitions will be August 23rd, when the Vees open their Main Camp at the SOEC.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Vernon-Victoria Trade:

I'm not positive, but I think this may be the last of the future considerations owed to Victoria from last season's fire sale at the BCHL trade deadline.

It hasn't been announced on either team's website, but it was confirmed in the Victoria Times-Colonist newspaper that the Grizzlies have acquired D Turner Lawson (94) from Vernon as the future considerations to the December 12, 2011 trade that saw D Sean Robertson join the Vipers from Victoria.

So here's how the trade finally breaks down:

To Victoria Grizzlies:
D Turner Lawson (94)
F Zach McPhee (93)
To Vernon Vipers:
D Sean Robertson (91)
I've bolded the portion of the article in the Times-Colonist referring to this trade:

Grizzlies deal for veteran Vees blue-liner Jones

Victoria Grizzlies general manager and head coach Bill Bestwick said last week that he was working the phones in anticipation of more trades as the B.C. Hockey League season nears.

What may be surprising, in his most recent move, is he added yet another defencemen to the mix, sending forward Alex Holland to the Royal Bank Cup champion Penticton Vees for D.J. Jones.

The Vees then turned around and moved Holland to the Trail Smoke Eaters as the national champions continue to make several moves of late.

"It's imperative that we are sound in our defensive zone and that we have strong character and experience," Bestwick said of adding the five-foot-nine, 170-pounder who turns 20 on Aug. 29.

"He brings experience, maturity and knowledge of what it takes to win a championship," Bestwick added of Jones, a Plymouth, Minnesota, native who had a goal and six assists in 24 games with Penticton. He also played 26 games for Surrey, where he managed a goal and four helpers.
Holland, 20, had 17 goals and 17 helpers in 60 games with the Grizzlies.

Bestwick also recently added 18-year-old Turner Lawson to the roster as part of the future considerations deal that moved former Grizzlies' captain Sean Robertson to Vernon last season. Lawson, listed at six-foot, 170 pounds, had one goal and three assists in 50 games with the Vipers.

Victoria is also set to announce its captain for the upcoming season with a news conference slated for Thursday at noon. Former Nanaimo Clipper Brett Hartskamp, recently acquired via trade, should be among the favourites.

In other BCHL moves Tuesday, the Cowichan Valley Capitals acquired forward Grant Nicholson from Penticton. Going to the Vees is defenceman Djordje Leposavic.

Nicholson, 19, is a shut-down forward who had 14 points in 59 regular-season games for the Vees and played in all post-season games for Penticton.

Penticton-Trail-Victoria-Cowichan Valley Trade:

(New Penticton forward Sam Mellor - pictured here with the University of Alaska-Anchorage)

The Vees have made their second multiple-team, multiple-player trade in just a few days. Whereas the previous move was a four team deal, this one is technically a five team transaction involving Penticton, Trail, Cowichan Valley and Victoria of the BCHL, plus North Bay of the NOJHL.

The first move, which I blogged about earlier, saw Cowichan pick up D Djordje Lepasovic (92) from North Bay for futures.

From there, the Capitals moved Lepasovic to Penticton for F Grant Nicholson (93) and future considerations.

Then, the Vees acquired F Alex Holland (92) from Victoria for D D.J. Jones (92).

Finally, Penticton flipped Holland, Lepasovic and future considerations to Trail for F Sam Mellor (92), who as I blogged earlier this summer, is back in the BCHL as a 20-year-old after spending last season with the University of Alaska-Anchorage.

So, in terms of which team gets what, it breaks down like this:

To Penticton Vees:
F Sam Mellor (92)
To Trail Smoke Eaters:
F Alex Holland (92)
D Djordje Lepasovic (92)
+ Future Considerations

To Victoria Grizzlies:
D D.J. Jones (92)
To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
F Grant Nicholson (93) + Future Considerations

Here's the release again from the Vees website, with the details on this deal in bold:

VEES LAND TWO PLAYERS IN MULTIPLE TRADES
PENTICTON, BC– The Penticton Vees Hockey Club were involved in a six team, eight player trade on Tuesday. The Vees acquired forward Sam Mellor (92) from the Trail Smoke Eaters and defenseman Rob Mann (92) from the Markham Waxers.

As part of the multi-team transaction, the Vees traded defenseman DJ Jones (92) to the Victoria Grizzlies and forward Grant Nicholson (93) to the Cowichan Valley Capitals.

In acquiring Mellor, the Vees were involved in two separate deals with the Capitals and Grizzlies. The Vees traded Nicholson to the Caps’ for the rights to defenseman Djordje Leposavic (92). Penticton also sent Jones to the Grizzlies for forward Alex Holland (92). The Vees then packaged the rights of Leposavic and Holland to the Trail Smoke Eaters for Mellor.

Mellor, 20, spent the 2011-2012 season at the University of Alaska-Anchorage in the WCHA. In his freshman season, the Cranbrook native tallied four goals and nine points in 33 games. Prior to Alaska, Mellor played two seasons as a Trail Smoke Eater, where he collected 61 goals and 130 points in 104 games. Mellor also brings international experience as he played on Team Canada West in the 2010 World Junior ‘A’ Challenge.

Penticton Vees Head Coach and GM Fred Harbinson acknowledges the teams’ need upfront, “We lost a lot of scoring from our lineup but now feel we have done a good job addressing that need. The addition of Sam not only brings a proven point producer but also brings experience to our group.”

The Vees were involved in another multiple team transaction in landing Robert Mann. The Vees first acquired the rights of both defenseman Ryan Wells (93) from the Nanaimo Clippers and goaltender Curtis Martinu (92) from the Drayton Valley Thunder. In the acquisition for Mann the Vees traded Wells and Martinu to the Markham Waxers.

Mann hails from Oshawa, Ontario and spent the last two seasons between the Whitby Fury and Waxers of the Ontario Junior Hockey League. Last season the 6’4 rear-guard collected three goals and 30 points in 40 games split between Whitby and Markham. He is committed to Robert Morris University for the 2013-2014 season.

When asked about Mann, Harbinson states that “Rob is an imposing d-man that can play a two-way game. At 6’4 215 lbs. Rob will bring a physical element along with a strong skill set that will help reconstruct our backend.”

Adding players like Mellor and Mann to the roster come at a price. “We had to give up to very good kids; two character kids in the process. Both DJ and Grant will now have the opportunity for a larger role under two very well-respected coaches in Victoria and Cowichan Valley.”

The Penticton Vees organization welcomes both Sam and Robert to the South Okanagan. Also the Vees would like to thank  DJ and Grant for their contributions to the team and the community.

Penticton-Markham Trade:

(New Penticton D Robert Mann - pictured here with Markham Waxers)
The two trades that I posted in the last few days included analysis as to why Penticton would acquire G Curtis Martinu (92) and D Ryan Wells (93) as it related to the 2012-13 Vees roster, but we now know that Fred Harbinson grabbed each player to flip them to Markham of the OJHL for D Robert Mann (92).

Derek Sharp, who is the timekeeper, scorekeeper, and announcer for Markham, says this about Mann:
Mann is a big defenseman, great speed and can move the puck well. He sometimes appears soft in front of his own net for a big man, but he plays a terrific positional game. He is a very smart player.
So the trade is ultimately a four way deal involving Penticton, Markham, Drayton Valley and Nanaimo after the Vees acquired Martinu and Wells from the Thunder and Clippers, respectively.

With the dust settled, here's how the final transaction breaks down:

To Penticton Vees:
D Robert Mann (92)

To Markham Waxers:
G Curtis Martinu (92)

D Ryan Wells (93)
Here's the release from the Vees website (I've bolded the Mann portion of the media release as there are other trades Penticton has made which are referenced - I'll address those deals on another post):

Monday, July 23, 2012

Penticton-Nanaimo Trade:

The Penticton Vees pulled the trigger on their second trade in as many days as they've acquired D Ryan Wells (93) from the Nanaimo Clippers for future considerations.

With the Vees only returning Troy Stecher and DJ Jones to their blueline in 2012-13, Penticton, with trades and recruiting, needs to add depth to its defence corps. Although they have recruited Noah Henry (94) for the 2012-13 season, I'd be willing to bet that coach and GM Fred Harbinson isn't done making moves to shore up the D.

For Nanaimo, it already has six defencemen on its' roster, including returnees and recruits, so the Clippers had the depth to make this trade.

Neither team has confirmed this deal, but it is posted on the BCHL website. Here's how it breaks down:

To Penticton Vees:
D Ryan Wells (93)
To Nanaimo Clippers:
Future Considerations

Salmon Arm-Nipawin Trade:

The flurry of trade activity continues in the BCHL, with training camps just over a month away. A trade announced between Salmon Arm and Nipawin of the SJHL has me a little confused, mainly because the player being moved has already committed to an NCAA school for this September.

The Silverbacks announced that they've traded the rights to F Stefan Nicholishen (93) to the Hawks for future considerations. Back in 2009 as a member of the Penticton Vees, Nicholishen committed to the University of Nebraska-Omaha for a September 2013 start, but logic dictates that Nipawin wouldn't have traded for him if he wasn't going to play, so my gut feeling is that he'll play with the Hawks this season.

Here's the details on the trade:

To Nipawin Hawks:
F Stefan Nicholishen (93)
To Salmon Arm Silverbacks:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Silverbacks website:
The Salmon Arm SilverBacks are busy on the trade front again, moving forward Stefan Nicholishen to the SJHL's Nipawin Hawks in return for future considerations.

Nicholishen, a 19 year old Penticton native who is a former member of both the Penticton Vees and West Kelowna Warriors; notched four goals and three assists over 46 games with the SilverBacks in 2011-2012.

The 'Backs would like to thank Stefan for his efforts with the organization over the past year while wishing him the best of luck as he continues his  Junior 'A' career and moves on to College.

Penticton-Drayton Valley Trade:

The crease just got a little more crowded in Penticton as Head Coach & GM Fred Harbinson has acquired a bonafide starter from the AJHL.

The Vees picked up G Curtis Martinu (92) from the Drayton Valley Thunder for future considerations. The trade is one that I see as a little peculiar, if only because Penticton went to G Chad Katunar (93) late in the season and playoffs when number one netminder Michael Garteig got injured, only to return for the RBC Cup tournament and Katunar performed quite admirably and looked poised to take over the crease this season.

Maybe Katunar and Martinu will battle it out for the number one role in 2012-13 at training camp, but with Martinu just being acquired and in his final year of junior hockey, I would think that he'll play more games for the Vees. I guess time will tell.

This trade is posted on the BCHL site, but nothing's been posted yet by either team.

To Penticton Vees:
G Curtis Martinu (92)
To Drayton Valley Thunder:
Future Considerations

Cowichan Valley-North Bay Trade:

I wrote in the last post about how Cowichan Valley is reshaping its defence and Jim Ingram continued to do that with a trade that is actually dated before the trade with Dauphin.

The Capitals acquired former Coquitlam affiliate player D Djordje Leposavic (92) from the NOJHL's North Bay Trappers for future considerations.

Leposavic had a breakout year offensively in 2011-12, with point totals far and away better than anything he has ever posted since starting his junior career three years ago. Cowichan is obviously hoping that last season wasn't just an aberration and that the New Westminster product can add some offensive punch to its blueline.

This deal hasn't been confirmed on either team's website, but it is posted on the BCHL website, so here's how it breaks down.

To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
D Djordje Leposavic (92)
To North Bay Trappers:
Future Considerations

Cowichan Valley-Dauphin Trade:

The Cowichan Valley Capitals have shored up their defence corps by swinging a pretty big deal with the MJHL's Dauphin Kings.

With only Karver Everson (93) and Troy Paterson (92) listed on the 2012-13 Caps roster as returning blueliners, Cowichan Valley Head Coach & GM Jim Ingram acquired D Tyler Mueller (94) from Dauphin for D David London (94) and future considerations.

I realize that London is also a defenceman, but he and Mueller had pretty much the same number of points in 2011-12 and Mueller is a year younger, so that likely made him attractive as a target.

No word officially from either team, but the trade has been posted on both the BCHL and MJHL sites. (Although the BCHL lists Mueller as a 1992-born goaltender on its' site, that must be an error because I can't find any record anywhere of a goaltender with that name, let alone one who played in Dauphin last season.)

To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
D Tyler Mueller (94)
To Dauphin Kings:
D David London (93)
+ Future Considerations

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Big Thanks!

I have to throw a big thanks to the folks at HockeyTube.net for the awesome job they did on designing me a new header for the blog.

They've done some amazing work on putting a number of current and past BCHL logos into 3D form and they all look very sharp.

I'd encourage you to check out their site or follow them on Twitter at https://twitter.com/hockeytubenet or Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/HockeyTube.net or on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/hockeytubenet.

Thanks again!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Cents Charity Golf Tournament Raises $1500 for Ronald McDonald House BC:

(Merritt Golf & Country Club)

With Alex Grebenyuk moving on to the Vancouver Giants, the Centennials are without a blogger right now (and who's to say that the person that Q101 hires will even do a blog) so I thought I'd post the news coming out of Merritt here, since this blog used to be the home of it as "Making Cents".

I had the chance to take part in the Cents first charity golf tournament on Friday at the Merritt Golf & Country Club and although the highlight of my day personally was sinking a birdie putt, the main highlight is the amount of money raised for Ronald McDonald House BC.

Next year's tourney should be bigger and better!

Here's the release regarding this year's:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - July 16, 2012
On Friday, July 13th, the Merritt Centennials hosted their first annual Charity Golf Tournament. The event was a huge success as $1500 was raised for Ronald McDonald House BC.

Golfers enjoyed the beautiful, sunny day spent at the Merritt Golf & Country Club. When taking a break from the scenery, the golfers were competing in the putting, longest drive, "score on the hockey net", and hole in one challenges, followed by dinner and silent and live auctions.

A number of current and former Centennials were in attendance. Among the current players were Brendan Lamont, Tyler Steel, Payton Schaefer, Brent Fletcher and Sebastien Pare. Among the alumni were Kevin Rabbitt, Paul Barnes, Rich Brew, Todd Fletcher, Pat Rabbitt, Bobby Vermette, Rob Boyd and our current GM & Head Coach Luke Pierce - who played for the Cents from 2001-03.

“This was another great show of support from the community.” said Heather Poole, one of the organizers of the tournament. “We all had a great time over the course of the day and are already looking forward to next year's event!”

"It was a great time putting it together," added another one of the organizers, Shane Sanderson. "We really couldn't have done it without our amazing sponsors and with almost 70 participants, the response was fantastic."

"To help such a great cause like Ronald McDonald House BC really means a lot," said Liz Brackenreed, who also helped with organizing the tournament. "We know there are families from our community who have had to use RMHBC while their children are at BC Children's Hospital in Vancouver and to make a difference like this is really special."

We would like to thank our hole-in-one sponsors, Nicola Motorsports and Nicola Valley Outdoors, and our general hole sponsors, Pest Detectives and Kruger Foods. We would also like to thank everyone for their generous contributions of silent auction prizes and game prizes. Lastly, we would like to thank our three volunteers, Sara Poole, Mckenzie Gabara and Terrell Balan.

Ronald McDonald House British Columbia is a nurturing and magical home-away-from-home for sick children and their families where, together, their lives are enhanced through unconditional support, encouragement, friendship and love.

The Merritt Centennials, proudly celebrating 40 seasons as the BCHL's longest continuously run franchise, are a non-profit, community owned Junior 'A' Hockey Club run by a dedicated team of investors, directors, and volunteers.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Coquitlam-Okotoks Trade:

Coquitlam Express Head Coach & GM Jon Calvano made his second deal of the day on Monday as he sent F Cody Michelle (92) to Okotoks of the AJHL for future considerations.

Michelle missed the first 20 games of last season with a broken jaw after a cross check to the head by Logan Johnston in a pre-season game between Coquitlam and Penticton on September 17, 2011. He put up modest totals of just over a half a point per game in the final 40 games.

He was a highly touted recruit out of the Prince Albert Mintos in 2010 and had a solid rookie season with Salmon Arm in 2010-11. I'd expect good things from him in Okotoks this season.

There's no release from either team, but the BCHL has posted the transaction on its website.

To Okotoks Oilers:
F Cody Michelle (92)

To Coquitlam Express:
Future Considerations

Coquitlam-Yarmouth Trade:

The Coquitlam Express traded the junior A rights of F Cody Castro (92) to the Maritime Junior Hockey League's Yarmouth Mariners for future considerations in another trade that has me a little perplexed.

The only reason why I'm perplexed by this deal is that I was under the impression that the Express didn't own the rights to Castro anymore and that he was essentially a junior A "free agent". On August 23, 2011, Eddie Gregory posted this on his "Coquitlam Expressions" blog:
Some player personnel decisions have already been made involving players who finished the season with the Express last year as Jake Charles, Cameron Lawson, Tyler Griffith and Cody Castro have been released.
So I'm wondering if the Express actually released Castro from his Hockey Canada card, or simply retained his junior A rights while telling him that he wouldn't be on the team last season and he wound up playing nine games with the WHL's Portland Winterhawks. Either way, if Castro wants to play out his final year of junior hockey, it'll be in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia or maybe back with Portland, but as an overaged player, I'd say not. The release from Yarmouth certainly sounds like he's going there.

To Yarmouth Mariners:
F/D Cody Castro (92)

To Coquitlam Express:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Mariners:

The Yarmouth Mariners have acquired veteran WHL Defenseman Cody Castro of the Portland Winterhawks. Castro, a 6' 1" 217lbs defenseman who hails from Pasadena, California, comes to Yarmouth highly regarded by Winterhawks Head Coach and General Manager Mike Johnston as tough and reliable defenseman.

"We are very pleased and fortunate to have acquired the Junior A rights to Cody Castro and we are very excited to welcome Cody at training camp next month", said Mariners Head Coach and General Manager Laurie Barron. "Cody brings a great deal of experience to our club and will add a huge component to what is shaping up to be a strong blueline. We anticipate this season to be another successful one and Cody will play a huge role".

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

BCHL Releases 2012-13 Regular Season Schedule:

The BCHL released the 2012-13 schedule yesterday morning. The season starts on Friday, September 7th with four games at the BCHL Showcase in Chilliwack. The marquee matchup on opening night is between the RBC Cup champion Penticton Vees and the host Chilliwack Chiefs.

As for last year's Fred Page Cup runner-up, the Powell River Kings will open the season against the Surrey Eagles. The Kings and Vees will play again, with much less at stake this time around, on Saturday, September 29th in Penticton.

In total 896 games are scheduled between September 7th and March 9th.

The entire schedule is available here.

West Kelowna-Victoria Trade:

I was just about to head to bed when my Twitter feed was rocked by this huge trade between the newly renamed West Kelowna Warriors and the Victoria Grizzlies. It's the second trade this week by new Grizzlies head coach and GM Bill Bestwick.

The deal sees a goaltender go each way and a couple of very promising players - one a forward and one a defenceman. The Warriors acquire D Braxton Bilous (94) and G Garrett Rockafellow (93) for G Brady Rouleau (93) and F Garrett Skrbich (93).

I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure what to make of this move, it's really one that I feel could pay big dividends for both teams - a true hockey trade. Victoria was looking to shore up its goaltending and it definitely does so with the addition of Rouleau while West Kelowna needed further depth on defence, which they grab in Bilous, who is a real blue chipper. Skrbich is no slouch either, as he's already committed to Princeton University for the 2013-14 season.

To West Kelowna Warriors:
D Braxton Bilous (94)
G Garrett Rockafellow (93)
To Victoria Grizzlies:
G Brady Rouleau (93)
F Garrett Skrbich (93)
Here's the official release from the Warriors website:

The West Kelowna Warriors completed a 4 player swap with the Victoria Grizzlies today.

Coming to the Warriors is a solid goaltender Coach Ferster is familiar with, and a blue-chip defenseman already committed to the NCAA.

The Warriors receive netminder Garrett Rockafellow (’93), and defenseman Braxton Bilous (’94).

While the Grizzlies get goaltender Brady Rouleau (’93), and forward Garrett Skrbich (’93).

Rockafellow posted a 5-15 record in his only season with the Grizzlies last year, but was on the third worst team in the BCHL.  Ferster recently took Rockafellow, along with Warriors goalie Tyler Briggs, to Sweden for some exhibition games and is very familiar with him.

“Garrett Rockafellow is a goalie that is the ultimate competitor,” says Warriors Head Coach/GM Rylan Ferster.  “He battles every time he steps on the ice. I had the pleasure of coaching him a few years back, and just recently as well. He and Tyler will be nice additions to the crease.”

The 6-foot, 192 pound native of Crossfield, Alberta says he’s eager to join his new squad. “I’m extremely excited to join such a well respected franchise,” said Rockafellow.  “I’m just going to work as hard as humanly possible, compete every night, and try my best to fit in with the guys.”

Bilous is 6-foot-2, 192 pounds, and from Langley.  He is already committed to Merrimack (NCAA Div.1) where he’ll walk in the footsteps of many former Warriors. (Kyle Singleton, Brendan Ellis, Quinn Gould, and Izaak Berglund)

“In acquiring Braxton Bilous we get a defense man with 90 games experience in the BCHL,” says Ferster.  “He can play in all situations and really solidifies our defense core now. He is already committed which is great.  Players like him are very hard to acquire.”

Braxton had 3 goals, 13 assists, and 54 penalty minutes in 53 regular season games last year.

Bilous joins a returning West-K defense core that includes: Assistant Captain Josh Monk, Dustin Cave, Adam Plant (Harvard ’14), and Matthew Berry-Lamontagna.

Meanwhile, Rouleau never played a game for the Warriors after being acquired in the offseason.  He was the “futures” in the Richard Vanderhoek trade to Cowichan for David Pope during the regular season.

Rouleau had solid numbers last year with a 12-8 record, a 2.81GAA, and a .905SV%.

Garrett Skrbich is the second player headed to the island.

The 6-foot forward from Minnesota played 50 games for the Warriors registering 7 goals, and 5 assists.

Penticton-Swan Valley Trade:

I mentioned in my last post that one of the pieces that Nanaimo sent to Swan Valley to acquire G Jayson Argue (92) was on his way back to the BCHL and the same could be true in this deal... maybe.

At the time of the Argue trade, I speculated as to why the Stampeders would trade for the rights to F Mike Sones (92), who's committed to Mercyhurst University for September 2012, but it appears now that maybe he's deferred going the NCAA for a year.

In a trade that I definitely find peculiar, the Penticton Vees have acquired Sones' rights from Swan Valley for future considerations. Any talk of Sones coming back to the BCHL is purely speculative on my part, but logic dictates that his rights wouldn't have changed hands twice this off-season without knowledge that he'd play junior A this season.

As usual in these situations, only time will tell. There's been no confirmation of the trade on either team's websites, but it is listed under "Transactions" on the BCHL website.

To Penticton Vees:
F Mike Sones To Swan Valley Stampeders:
Future Considerations

Victoria-Swan Valley Trade:

One of the pieces that Nanaimo sent to the Swan Valley Stampeders to get G Jayson Argue (92) won't even make the trip to the MJHL as F Brett Hartskamp (92) is back in the BCHL and reunited with former coach Bill Bestwick in Victoria.

Bestwick, who recruited Hartskamp to Nanaimo three years ago, has acquired the Port Coquitlam product for the Grizzlies from Swan Valley for future considerations.

If the Victoria-Nanaimo rivalry wasn't already heated enough, now there's also a former Clippers player on the Grizzlies to go along with a former longtime coach.

To Victoria Grizzlies:
F Brett Hartskamp (92) To Swan Valley Stampeders:
Future Considerations

Trail-Brooks Trade:

The Trail Smoke Eaters continue to revamp their last place club with off-season acquisitions and this time it completes the future considerations portion of a trade from January 5, 2012.

The deal, which originally saw D Tanner Hicks (92) moved to Brooks of the AJHL for future considerations, now sees D Maddison Smiley (94) join Trail from the Bandits.

Unfortunately for Bill Birks and the Smoke Eaters, Smiley may never wear Trail's jersey as Tyler King, who is the Fort McMurray Oil Barons play-by-play announcer, Tweeted this yesterday afternoon:
Brooks Bandits trade '94 D Maddison Smiley to Trail (BCHL) as futures, but unlikely to report
I guess the optimist would say that Trail now has another chip to use in a trade, so we'll see what transpires as we get closer and closer to the start of the 2012-13 season.

The deal hasn't been reported on either the Smoke Eaters or the Bandits website, but was posted under "Transactions" on the BCHL website yesterday.

Regardless of what happens with Smiley's rights, as of now, this trade breaks down like this:

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
D Maddison Smiley (94) To Brooks Bandits:
D Tanner Hicks (92)

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Where Are They Now: Powell River Kings:

Up next in our look at BCHL alumni is one of the franchises that has been a crown jewel (pardon the pun) in the Coastal Conference, as Powell River has only missed the playoffs three times since joining the league back in 1988 as the Paper Kings.

There are three active players who skated with the team when they were known as the Paper Kings, we'll start with them and then go directly into active Kings alumni.
Ludek Broz Calvin Elfring Chris Lipsett Mitch Ahearn Jake Areshenko Robbie Bailey Partik Bhungal Ryne Bodger Kyle Bodie Mat Bodie Aaron Brocklehurst Reid Campbell Daniel Carr Jason Cohen Jared Collen Ethan Cox Paul Crowder Tim Crowder Justin Dasilva Andrew Derton Mark Ehl Craig Eisenhut Jordan Gallea Matt Garbowsky Whitney Garey Ryan Green Clay Harvey Bond Hawryluk Brendan Hawryluk Justin Hogan Jeff Hoggan James Isaacs Cleve Kinley Dan Law Kyle Leahy Kyle Leahy Mitch MacMillan Michael Markovic Brendan Mason Mark McNaughton Sean Murray Chad Niddery D'Arcy Oakes Jeff Penner Derek Pess Andrew Pettitt Adam Presizniuk Cole Pruden Brooks Robinson Brock Sawyer Ben Schmidt Tyler Shelast Matt Siddall Justin Sotkowy Clayton Stoner Joe Tolles Erik Vos Mike Wakita Matt Williams Brandon Wong Matt Wray Jason Yee Carsen Chubak Alex Evin Evan Karambelas Jordan Ramstead Chris Rawlings Wade Waters Josh Watson