Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Former Merritt, Coquitlam & Quesnel Forward Thomas Hardy Commits to Selkirk College:

This is posted on the BCIHL website:

Selkirk College adds PIJHL scoring champ Thomas Hardy for 2012/13 season

The Selkirk College Saints Men’s Hockey program is pleased to announce a commitment from forward Thomas Hardy (Surrey, B.C.) to attend Selkirk College and compete for the Saints beginning in the 2012/13 B.C. Intercollegiate Hockey League season.

Hardy is a veteran of the British Columbia and Pacific International Junior Hockey Leagues, where he has suited up in 176 games over four seasons. Hardy led all PIJHL skaters in goals (with 33) and points (73) during the 2011/12 regular season as a member of the Aldergrove Kodiaks.

The 6-foot-1 winger spent the 2010/11 season primarily with the BCHL’s Quesnel Millionaires, where he tallied 17 points in 33 games as a 19-year old. He has also spent time with the Junior ‘A’ Coquitlam Express and Merritt Centennials, and totalled 26 points in 65 career BCHL games.

Hardy has also spent parts of four seasons with Aldergrove, where he is the franchise’s all-time leader in goals and points. His career totals in the PIJHL include 73 goals and 168 points in 113 games played.

“I’m looking forward to being a part of the Saints hockey program,” says Hardy, who will study Business at Selkirk. “I’m excited to go back to the small town feeling that I had throughout my years of junior hockey and I’ve heard great things about the school and the community.”

“I consider myself to be an offensive player who sees the ice well and finishes my scoring opportunities,” he explains, when asked to break down his game. “I also take pride in being defensively sound and playing at both ends of the rink.”

Hardy is Selkirk’s first commitment for the 2012/13 season. Additional player announcements will be made in the coming weeks.

Here are the stats on Hardy:

Wild Aim To Impress BCHL:

The plot continues to thicken on the Wenatchee Wild joining the BCHL as it appears now to be more likely than ever before.

Upon listening to BCHL Commissioner John Grisdale in conversation with Nanaimo Clippers play-by-play voice Dan Marshall (hear it here), it looks like it can't happen for 2012-13 but is a very real possibility for 2013-14.

This article was posted on the website of the Wenatchee World newspaper yesterday:

Wild aim to impress BCHL

Monday, February 27, 2012

WENATCHEE — While the Wenatchee Wild’s players and coaches will be looking to secure sole possession of second place in the NAHL West Division this weekend, the front office will be more focused on the team’s long-term future.

British Columbia Hockey League commissioner John Grisdale and a member of the BCHL’s expansion committee will be in Wenatchee Friday and Saturday, including Saturday’s game against the Fresno Monsters, and Wild director of business operations Carla Stewart said the team hopes for a big and raucous turnout to help convince the BCHL brass to admit Wenatchee into the league.

“The hopes are Wenatchee comes out and shows the commissioner and expansion committee that we have support and a fan base that will allow us to play next year (in the BCHL),” Stewart said. “We think we’ll be able to (answer) some of their concerns when they see we already have an operational entity that can join the BCHL.”

The Wild franchise, currently playing in its fourth year in the North American Hockey League, has applied to the BCHL twice this season. USA Hockey, the governing body for amateur ice hockey in the United States, initially blocked a Wild move to the BCHL, but reversed its decision after reviewing an appeal by the franchise earlier this month.

The BCHL has told the Wild that it will be considered as an “expansion” franchise for the 2013-14 season, but the Wild ownership is making a push to join the league next season.

“What we’d like to do is convince them that it’s in everybody’s best interest for us to play next season (in the BCHL),” Stewart said.

There’s still a possibility the Wild could play one more season in the NAHL, but Stewart said the team is one of seven or eight NAHL franchises that have been granted dormancy for next season.

“We’re quite open to playing another year (in the NAHL). It just depends on how the league handles that,” Stewart said.

Three of the Wild’s NAHL West Division rivals — the Alaska Avalanche, Fresno Monsters and Dawson Creek Rage — have also been granted dormancy, meaning the Wild’s already daunting travel schedule could be even worse with three of their closest opponents sitting out.

Travel issues are the main reason for the Wild’s application to the BCHL. In the NAHL, Fresno (Calif.) and Dawson Creek (British Columbia) are their shortest road games at 920 miles from Wenatchee. Meanwhile all 16 BCHL teams are located within 635 miles of Wenatchee.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Paul Kelly Resigns as Head of College Hockey Inc:

In a move that may have a significant impact on the BCHL and junior A hockey overall, former NHLPA head Paul Kelly resigned from the same post with College Hockey Inc. this afternoon.

This was posted on the US College Hockey Online (USCHO) website:

Paul Kelly resigned Monday as executive director of College Hockey Inc., the promotional and marketing group for Division I men’s college hockey.

The announcement was made by the Hockey Commissioners Association, which is comprised of the commissioners of the five D-I men’s conferences.

“The HCA would like to thank Paul for his service to CHI and wish him the best in his future endeavors,” Steve Hagwell, Hockey Commissioners Association president and ECAC Hockey commissioner, said in a statement.

The commissioners group also said in the statement that it expects to discuss a “different course” for the executive director position. A replacement for Kelly was not immediately announced.

Kelly, the former executive director of the National Hockey League Players Association, was hired in November 2009 by the commissioners to run College Hockey Inc.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

BCHL Looking for an Intern:

Are you interested in learning the inner workings of one of the best Junior 'A' hockey leagues in North America? Then the BCHL has an opportunity for you! BCHL Communications Director Brent Mutis sent me this email yesterday and asked me to post it.

Greetings!

The British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) is looking for a sports-minded individual to fill a four-week internship beginning March 5, 2012.

The BCHL is a 16-team Junior A hockey league with teams all over the province. Our league is considered one of the top Junior leagues in Canada and our players are heavily scouted by college and professional teams. Last year, two of our players were drafted by NHL clubs and 131 received scholarships to Canadian and American universities.

We are seeking an individual to help us with our communications department. Ideally, this will be an individual who is creative, teachable and takes initiative.

Duties during the internship will include:

-          Contributing and creating weekly e-newsletters
-          Contacting coaches and players for phone and in-person interviews
-          Handling media requests and tracking down interview guests
-          Writing media releases
-          Reviewing player statistics for weekly awards nominations
-          Updating social media networks
-          Shooting and editing video

Please contact us via the information below if you are interested.

Best regards,
Brent Mutis (Certificate, ’08)
Communications director
British Columbia Hockey League
www.bchl.ca
bmutis@bchl.ca
604-422-8783

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

BCHL Creates Awards for Officials:

February 14, 2012

For immediate release:

The British Columbia Hockey League is pleased to announce that for the first time in league history, referees and linesmen will be recognized at the end of the season for their contributions to the game.

BCHL alumni and current NHL officials Kelly Sutherland and Brad Lazarowich have had awards created in their name for the top referee and linesman respectively. It’s an initiative spearheaded by Derek Adams, the league’s director of officiating.

“The awards were created to bring some recognition to our on-ice officials in the BCHL who strive to be the best they can be both on and off the ice,” said Adams.
“Kelly and Brad got their start in officiating in the BCHL and have gone on to set a very high standard for officials both on and off the ice, but also in giving back to the development of officiating in British Columbia.”

The Kelly Sutherland Award winner and the Brad Lazarowich Award winner will each receive $500, of which $250 will be donated to a charity of choice in the name of the official. The winners will be chosen at the end of the season and the selection process will involve input from Adams, BC Hockey Supervisors and the BCHL board of governors.

“The awards are an example of the support the BCHL governors provide to our officials and to our officiating program,” said Adams. “I’d like to thank our governors for this support as well as Kelly and Brad for lending their names to make these awards more meaningful and for providing an example of what an official should strive to accomplish.”

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

BCHL Website Down Again:

For the second time in three days, a number of sites hosted by esportsdesk are down right now with the following message after being hacked:

The web site you are looking for was attacked by hackers early this morning and is temporarily off-line.

We are working to clean up the damage they have caused and expect to be on-line again by approximately 12:00PM Pacific Time today.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Among the sites hosted by esportsdesk are the BCHL, KIJHL, PIJHL, VIJHL and dozens of team sites including every BCHL team site except for Prince George and Victoria.

Penticton Vees Set BCHL Win Record:

Feb. 7, 2012

For immediate release:

The Penticton Vees established a new BCHL record for consecutive wins when they earned their 30th straight in a 7-0 road win over the Chilliwack Chiefs Tuesday night.

Penticton, who on Feb. 3 tied the previous mark of 29 set by the 1989-90 New Westminster Royals with a 5-1 home win over the Chiefs, opened the scoring on Wade Murphy's 31st of the season at 9:18 of the first.

Travis St. Denis scored late in the opening frame, Mario Lucia got his first of the night early in the second converting a feed from Ryan Reilly on a two-on-one and Joey Benik made it 4-0 after two, firing home a shot after a carom off the post bounced right to him.

Goals by Lucia, Grant Nicholson and Bryce Gervais in the first eight minutes of the third ended all hope of a Chiefs miracle comeback.

Michael Garteig made 20 saves for the shutout.

Penticton plays next on Friday hosting the Salmon Arm SilverBacks. They can now set their sights on matching the 89-90 Royals mark of 38 games undefeated.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

SJHL To Allow Less 20-Year-Olds, Play Fewer Games:

The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League is making some changes to its operations and perhaps the two that are of most interest to BCHL fans include a reduction of 20-year-olds allowed and a reduction of games played.

The BCHL already has the lowest number of 20-year-olds allowed in the CJHL with six and it looks like the SJHL is heading that way as for 2012-13 it's 8 and for 2013-14 it's 7.

The SJHL, like the BCHL, is also reducing the number of games played for 2012-13. The SJHL currently plays 58 games per season, and that number is dropping to 54 starting with next season.

Here's the complete release on all the changes, from SJHL.ca:

On January 28th 2012, the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League held its semi-annual Governor’s meeting.

The meeting was held in Melfort at the Canalta Hotel; opening remarks were provided by Regional Vice President Gary Hoffert of Canalta Hotels.

The Governors have made decisions that will create hockey opportunities for young men from Saskatchewan in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League for the years to come.

First, the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League’s maximum number of 20 year old players for the 2012-13 season will be 8; previously it was 9. For the 2013-14 season the maximum number of 20 years olds will be 7.

Next, the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League will play 54 games starting in the 2012-13 season. With this number of games, teams will play the majority of their games on weekends. With the reduction of 20 year old players, this will provide more opportunities for younger players in the league.

With the majority of the games to be scheduled for the weekends during the season, the younger players will be able to focus on school during the week and hockey practises.

Training camps will start on or after September 5th 2012 for all teams.

At the start of this season the Governors wanted to ensure that players wanting to pursue opportunities at the NCAA level were being provided those opportunities. This year the SJHL had an increase of over 100% of players writing SAT exams from the previous year.

The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League wants to be the League that provides hockey players options to all leagues, there have been several players that have been called upon to play in the WHL during the season and several that have been returned to the SJHL from the WHL to gain more experience at a high level of hockey in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League.

The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League has agreed upon 3 year contract and a 1 year option with Sher-wood to be the supplier of Equipment and Sticks.

The Official Helmet Supplier will be Cascade Sports with the M11 the Messier Project, the helmet appears to be the helmet that will protect our players the best.

With today’s concerns around head injuries the Governors felt that the M11 was the best option to protect the players in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League.

The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League Annual Fall Showcase tournament will be held in Melfort hosted by the Melfort Mustangs, over the December 14th 2012 weekend.

The Annual Hall of Fame Game will be hosted by the Estevan Bruins in the early fall, date to be announced.

As President of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, Bill Chow wants to credit the Governors for having the ability to realize where changes were needed and that they had the will to make the changes that will benefit the young players coming into the league, and also the teams in the league.

The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League is proud to be able to support hockey players in pursuing their goals in hockey.

For further comments or if you have questions please contact the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League President Bill Chow.