Thursday, January 19, 2012

BCHL Landscape Changes Once More:

First off, kudos to the BCHL for releasing the details surrounding its semi-annual governors' meeting which concluded today in Richmond.

I know the league has traditionally held off releasing this type of information, but in this day and age, it's likely that details would have filtered out anyway and better that it come from the official source as opposed to teams or media releasing it.

Obviously the biggest change involving the 2012-13 season is the inclusion of the Prince George Spruce Kings in the Coastal Conference. It's a wacky move to me, but I can understand that with PG being "on its own" up north, they had to fit in somewhere. As the release below states, a playoff format for 2012-13 has yet to be determined.

Either way, after 16 seasons in the Interior Conference/Division, the Spruce Kings now find themselves alongside the usual Coastal Conference teams. Hey, stranger things have happened - at one point in the 1970's the Vancouver Canucks played in the East Division of the NHL and look at the Winnipeg Jets this season, they're in the Southeast Division.

But I digress, so the 2012-13 BCHL season looks like this:

Coastal Conference
Mainland Division
Chilliwack Chiefs
Coquitlam Express
Langley Rivermen
Prince George Spruce Kings
Surrey Eagles

Island Division
Alberni Valley Bulldogs
Cowichan Valley Capitals
Nanaimo Clippers
Powell River Kings
Victoria Grizzlies

Interior Conference
Interior Division
Merritt Centennials
Penticton Vees
Salmon Arm Silverbacks
Trail Smoke Eaters
Westside Warriors
Vernon Vipers

One other big change to come out of the meeting is the reduction of the regular season schedule to 56 games. I personally love this idea (although the broadcasters who get paid on a per-game basis won't!). What I like about it is that it reduces the wear and tear on the players, reduces some costs for the teams, fans aren't likely to miss the two home weekday games that will be dropped as a result and it ensures that the league can continue with the later (and more traditional) start date of the second weekend of September for the regular season.

And I LOVE the idea of a showcase event. Although the location and dates are to be determined, here's a release from the AJHL's website to give you an idea of what the weekend is all about:

"The AJHL Showcase is a unique opportunity for the scouting community to evaluate AJHL players in one location as they compete against one another. The AJHL Showcase will include each of the League's 16 teams playing two regular season games apiece. 400 players will participate in the three-day event at the TransAlta Tri Leisure Centre."

"Through the first three years of the event, nearly 300 Scouts from the NHL, NCAA, CIS, CHL and NHL Central Scouting have experienced the talent of the Alberta Junior Hockey League. In addition, hundreds of media representatives and over 10,000 fans have enjoyed this unique showcase of talent in Alberta."

Here's the official release on all the changes, from the BCHL website:

January 19, 2012

For immediate release:

The British Columbia Hockey League passed a number of significant motions Thursday at the league’s semi-annual governors meeting in Richmond. The changes will take effect in the 2012-13 season.

To allow more fans to attend games, governors voted to lower the number of regular season games from 60 to 56. This will decrease the number of mid-week games when fans are less able to attend. Now, a greater percentage of home dates can be held on the prime nights of Friday and Saturday.

Also, a showcase event will be held Sept. 7 to 9 at a site yet to be determined. The showcase is similar to events held in the Alberta and Saskatchewan Junior Hockey leagues where college and professional scouts are invited. Showcase results will count in the regular season standings. Each BCHL team will play two games at the event meaning all teams, except the host of the showcase, will then have 27 home dates in the 2012-13 season. Any revenues from the showcase will be split up amongst the league’s 16 clubs. Teams are being asked to submit by Feb. 1 their bids to host the event.

Another motion that passed was the decision to move the start of the regular season to Sept. 14, 2012. This will mark the date that the standard BCHL regular-season format shall commence though by that point, two regular season games will have been played at the showcase event by each team.

The season will end March 10, 2013 which means the coming season is two weeks longer than normal. This also will allow more games to be scheduled on prime nights rather than mid week.

With respect to the alignment of the conferences, there will be now be 10 teams in the Coastal Conference and it will be split into two groups called the Island Division and Mainland Division. The Island Division will include Victoria, Cowichan Valley, Nanaimo, Alberni Valley and Powell River. The Mainland Division will include Coquitlam, Surrey, Langley, Chilliwack and Prince George.

Prince George will be given the option to return to the Interior Conference after the conclusion of the 2013 playoffs. With Prince George and Chilliwack set to join the Coastal Conference, the new Interior Conference will include the remaining teams: Merritt, Trail, Penticton, Vernon, Salmon Arm and Westside.

“These decisions were not made in haste and came only after lengthy debate by our governors,” said BCHL commissioner John Grisdale. “The BCHL considers itself an innovator and model for Junior A hockey in Canada and these decisions, not all of them unanimous, have been made with the intention of ensuring the long-term viability of our league.”

Each club has been asked to submit new playoff format ideas to the BCHL office by Feb. 1, 2012. After that, a decision will be made and announced.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Wenatchee Wild Want Into The BCHL:

Trail play by play man Chris Wahl alerted me to an article in a Wenatchee newspaper where the NAHL's Wild are looking to move to the BCHL.

It certainly isn't the first time this has been discussed and it's guaranteed to spark lots of discussion on both sides of the border.

Here's the article from The Wenatchee World newspaper:

USA Hockey blocks league change for Wild
Team wants to join British Columbia Hockey League; evaluating appeal

By Brent Stecker
World staff writer

Monday, January 16, 2012

WENATCHEE — USA Hockey has denied a bid by the Wenatchee Wild to leave the North American Hockey League and join the British Columbia Hockey League, Wild president Bill Stewart confirmed Monday.

Stewart and the Wild’s head scout, Rick Ellison, made the pitch to switch leagues during USA Hockey’s winter meeting Saturday in Orlando, Fla., Stewart said. But after considering the request in a closed session, the organization’s executive board declined the move without providing a reason.

“They don’t like a team based in the U.S. playing in a Canadian league, but (in Washington) there’s six teams and five of them play in Canadian hockey leagues,” Stewart said.

The Wild are pursuing the league change for travel reasons, Stewart said. In the NAHL, their closest opponents are the Fresno (Calif.) Monsters and Dawson Creek (British Columbia) Rage, both roughly 920 miles from Wenatchee. In the BCHL, each of the 16 current teams are based in British Columbia, and only the Prince George Spruce Kings, their farthest possible opponent at 635 miles from Wenatchee, are located in the northern half of the province.

“We’d save money, and the longest bus trip is about 12 hours (in the BCHL),” Stewart said. “The last 12 days, the team spent 96 hours on the bus to play five games. That could be (our) entire travel schedule for the BCHL. ... The kids would miss a lot less school.”

Stewart said Wenatchee attempted to join the BCHL before its inaugural season in 2007. The Wild instead joined the NAHL for an agreed-upon three seasons, with the condition that the league and the Wild would work together to bring in “a couple” of travel partners into the NAHL within a six-hour bus ride of Wenatchee, Stewart said.

The 2011-12 season is Wenatchee’s fourth in the NAHL.

“We must have looked at 14 new markets, but with the way the economy is right now there are no new (arenas) being built,” Stewart said.

Stewart said the NAHL “does not endorse” the Wild’s application to the BCHL.

The BCHL and NAHL operate on the same level of play — Junior A hockey.

If the Wild were to appeal USA Hockey’s decision and the move to the BCHL was then accepted, Stewart said he does not know if it the team would start there next season.

“It may be a thing that takes another year to get done,” he said.

Stewart said the Wild’s application to the BCHL is not related to the shaky financial standing of the team’s home arena, Town Toyota Center.

A junior hockey website had speculated that the Wild may move to a city in British Columbia to ensure the switch to the BCHL, but Stewart said the Wild will play in Wenatchee as long as the Town Toyota Center is operating.

“If you can guarantee me a building here, we’ll be here,” Stewart said. “We’re just trying to get the right model that works. We’re trying to find a junior league with a business model that’s better for our organization and for the players in our organization regarding school and travel.”

Doyle Cup Is No More After 2012:

After being awarded for the 28th time this spring, the Doyle Cup will cease to exist with the creation of a Western Canadian Junior 'A' Championship starting in 2013, hosted by the BCHL's Nanaimo Clippers.

With the host team in 2013 being from the BCHL, there is a possibility that there could end up being two BC teams in the Royal Bank Cup, but the same thing could happen in the MJHL in 2014, the AJHL in 2015 and the SJHL in 2016, where two teams from the host league wind up at the national championship tournament.

Since the formation of the Doyle Cup in 1984, BCHL teams have an 18-9 record over AJHL teams and since the formation of the Pacific Centennial Cup Championship in 1971, BCHL teams have a 23-18 advantage.

Here's a list of the leaders in Doyle Cup/Pacific Centennial Cup wins:

Vernon Lakers/Vipers - 8
Camrose Kodiaks - 5
Calgary Canucks - 3
Penticton Broncos/Knights - 3
Red Deer Rustlers - 3
Kelowna Buckaroos/Spartans - 2
St. Albert Saints - 2
Surrey Eagles - 2
Spruce Grove Mets - 2
Abbotsford Flyers - 1
Burnaby Express - 1
Chilliwack Chiefs - 1
Fort McMurray Oil Barons - 1
Fort Saskatchewan Traders - 1
Langley Eagles - 1
Merritt Centennials - 1
Nanaimo Clippers - 1
New Westminster Royals - 1
Olds Grizzlys - 1
Richmond Sockeyes - 1

And by year:

Pacific Centennial Cup
1971 - Red Deer Rustlers
1972 - Red Deer Rustlers
1973 - Penticton Broncos
1974 - Kelowna Buckaroos
1975 - Spruce Grove Mets
1976 - Spruce Grove Mets
1977 - Calgary Canucks
1978 - Merritt Centennials
1979 - Fort Saskatchewan Traders
1980 - Red Deer Rustlers
1981 - St. Albert Saints
1982 - St. Albert Saints
1983 - Abbotsford Flyers
1984 - Langley Eagles
Doyle Cup
1985 - Penticton Knights
1986 - Penticton Knights
1987 - Richmond Sockeyes
1988 - Calgary Canucks
1989 - Vernon Lakers
1990 - New Westminster Royals
1991 - Vernon Lakers
1992 - Vernon Lakers
1993 - Kelowna Spartans
1994 - Olds Grizzlys
1995 - Calgary Canucks
1996 - Vernon Vipers
1997 - South Surrey Eagles
1998 - South Surrey Eagles
1999 - Vernon Vipers
2000 - Fort McMurray Oil Barons
2001 - Camrose Kodiaks
2002 - Chilliwack Chiefs
2003 - Camrose Kodiaks
2004 - Nanaimo Clippers
2005 - Camrose Kodiaks
2006 - Burnaby Express
2007 - Camrose Kodiaks
2008 - Camrose Kodiaks
2009 - Vernon Vipers
2010 - Vernon Vipers
2011 - Vernon Vipers

Here's the official release from the Canadian Junior Hockey League:

CJHL Announces Creation of Western Canadian Championship
Nanaimo, BC to Host Inaugural Event in 2013

Calgary, AB, January 16, 2012 - The Canadian Junior Hockey League is pleased to announce a new regional playoff format for its four western provinces beginning in 2013. The British Columbia Hockey League, Alberta Junior Hockey League, Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League and Manitoba Junior Hockey League will move to a five-team tournament and crown the first-ever Western Canadian Champion.

The Western Canadian Championship will include a host team and the champion from each of the four western leagues. The 13-game tournament will include a round-robin schedule followed by two semifinal games and a championship game. The Western Canadian Champion and the runner-up will both represent Western Canada at the RBC Cup National Junior A Championship.

"Congratulations to the four western leagues on this significant step in the growth of Junior A hockey in Western Canada and across the country,” said CJHL Chairman Kirk Lamb. “The new championship format will create a tremendous opportunity to showcase our players, teams and communities and is yet another example of the strengthening relationship among Junior A leagues in Canada. I commend the four western leagues on partnering together in the development of this initiative.”

CJHL Chairman Kirk Lamb and the four western provinces are honoured to announce the hosting rights for the inaugural Western Canadian Championship in 2013 have been awarded to the BCHL community of Nanaimo, BC. The 2013 Western Canadian Championship will be held from April 26 to May 5.

“I want to congratulate Nanaimo on being selected to host the first Western Canadian Championship in 2013,” said BCHL commissioner John Grisdale. “I am extremely confident the host committee, the Clipper ownership group, their fans, the City of Nanaimo and the volunteers will work cohesively towards ensuring the championship is not only successful in Nanaimo, but the legacy left will provide a blueprint for the other Junior A leagues to follow.”

Nanaimo Clippers owner Ken Wagner is proud to bring the inaugural Western Canadian Championship to Nanaimo during a milestone season for the franchise.

“Hosting the Western Canadian Championship in conjunction with our 40th anniversary is a great way for the team and community to celebrate. I believe the Nanaimo Clippers are a flagship franchise in the CJHL and it is a true honour to be selected as the host city for the first-time event. Nanaimo offers the ultimate in hospitality, beautiful scenery and a strong volunteer base, which will result in a successful experience for everyone involved.”

The Western Canadian Championship will be hosted by the BCHL in 2013, followed by the MJHL (2014), AJHL (2015), and SJHL (2016). A Site Selection Committee will be responsible for selecting a host team annually, upon the recommendation of the host league.

About the Canadian Junior Hockey League: There are currently 10 leagues and over 130 teams competing in the Canadian Junior Hockey League. The goal of the CJHL is to enhance and expand development and exposure for its players in order to increase the number of opportunities to further their academic and hockey careers. The annual champion of the Canadian Junior Hockey League wins the RBC Cup.

About the RBC Cup: Since 1971, teams from across Canada have fought for the National Junior A Championship. The RBC Cup National Junior A Championship is currently an annual tournament between the Champions of the four regions within the CJHL and the Host Club in a quest to become the National Champion.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

BCHL Alumni Headed to NHL All Star Game Weekend:

It's another feather in the cap of the BC Hockey League as three former players were selected to participate in the NHL's All Star Weekend. Say what you want about the All Star Weekend, it still should be considered an honour to be selected to take part.

January 12, 2012

For immediate release:

A trio of BCHL alums have been named to the NHL all-star festivities coming to Ottawa
Jan. 28 and 29.

Jamie Benn of the Dallas Stars, Colin Greening of the host Ottawa Senators and Ryan
Johansen of the Columbus Blue Jackets were each named Jan. 12 to the group of
players that will be selected from in a draft on Jan. 26.

Benn, 22, played the 2006-07 season with the Victoria Grizzlies putting up 42 goals and
23 assists in 53 games before being selected in the fifth round by the Stars. The Victoria
native then went on to play two seasons with the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL.

Greening, 25, hails from St. Johns, N.L. and played the 2005-06 season with the Nanaimo Clippers before embarking on a four-year NCAA career at Cornell University. He scored 27 goals and 35 assists with the Clips and was selected in the seventh round by Ottawa in 2005.

Johansen, 19, played the 2008-09 season with the Penticton Vees scoring five goals and 12 assists before heading to the WHL with the Portland Winterhawks. The Port Moody native was selected fourth overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2010.

Benn was named to the 21-player pool of NHL veteran forwards while Greening and Johansen were named to the pool of 12 rookies. A pair of captains will be chosen who will then select the al-star teams from in a draft format.

7 BCHLers Featured On NHL Central Scouting’s Midterm Rankings:

Great news for the BCHL as seven of its current players are featured on the NHL Central Scouting top North American skaters.

The midterm rankings are the first of the season that breaks the lists of players into distinct skaters/goaltenders and North American/European prospects.

The BCHL players featured on the list are the same as those included on the NHL Entry Draft "Watch List" that was released in December with a few exceptions.

Surrey Eagles forwards Sean McGovern and Brandon Morley and Powell River Kings forward Evan Richardson, who were all featured on December's "Watch List" are nowhere to be found on the Central Scouting Rankings.

However, former Victoria Grizzlies - and now Penticton Vees - forward Wade Murphy along with Prince George Spruce Kings forward Paul DeJersey both make an appearance on the Central Scouting list.

Safe to say, there are upwards of ten BCHL players who at this point are on the radar of NHL teams looking ahead to June's Entry Draft in Pittsburgh.

Here's the release from the BCHL:

For immediate release:

NHL Central Scouting released its mid-term rankings this week and seven BCHL players are included among the top-210 North American Skaters. That is the most of any Junior A league in Canada.

The players listed are:

#80: Jujhar Khaira - Prince George Spruce Kings

#81: Alexander Kerfoot - Coquitlam Express

#104: Morgan Zulinick - Salmon Arm SilverBacks

#114: Reece Willcox - Merritt Centennials

#181: Devon Toews - Surrey Eagles

#203: Paul De Jersey - Prince George Spruce Kings

#204: Wade Murphy - Victoria Grizzlies

Khaira, Kerfoot, Zulinick, Willcox and Toews are all 1994-born players. Murphy was born in 1993 and De Jersey 1992. All players listed above are born in B.C. and each of them have secured NCAA Division I scholarships with the exception of Kerfoot.

Central Scouting also listed their top-135 European Skaters and top-36 goaltenders with this week’s rankings. The 2012 NHL Entry Draft will held June 22 and 23 at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh.

Victoria-Cobourg Trade:

Details are a couple of days late and it still hasn't been confirmed on the BCHL website, but media in Ontario have confirmed that the Victoria Grizzlies traded D Taylor Pernerowski (91) to the OJHL's Cobourg Cougars at the trade deadline for future considerations.

And thus completes the fire sale in Victoria, with a ton of future considerations in the form of cash and/or players for next season coming to the Grizzlies in exchange.

To Cobourg:
D Taylor Pernerowski (91)

To Victoria:
Future Considerations

Here's the article from the Northumberland Today newspaper:

Cougars add Pernerowski to bolster lineup
By JEFF GARD

COBOURG — With the Ontario Junior Hockey League regular season winding down and the playoffs forthcoming, the Cobourg Cougars have bolstered their lineup by adding a 20-year-old defenceman.

Taylor Pernerowski was acquired Tuesday from the Victoria Grizzlies of the British Columbia Hockey League. The transaction deadline was 11:59 p.m. that day.

Cougars general manager Todd Diminie and head coach Justin Teakle spent from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. that day in club's office at the Cobourg Community Centre.

"We watched the trade wire, even the OHL (Ontario Hockey League) wires, looking for players," Diminie said Wednesday. "We had several phone calls from other teams interested in some of our guys, but we wanted to hang on to our guys. We didn't want to move any of our players."

Diminie wasn't committed to adding a player, either, at least not for the sake of just doing so. Earlier this week he said it would have be an impact player coming Cobourg's way, if a move was made. He also didn't want to damage the chemistry amongst the current players, in addition to wanting to stay as loyal as possible to the players who have the Cougars sitting second in the OJHL's East Division; four points behind the Trenton Golden Hawks and eight ahead of the Wellington Dukes.

Pernerowski appears to be the perfect fit, as it regards bolstering the lineup without disrupting chemistry.

Diminie called Pernerowski "an exceptional d-man, a smooth skater, great hands, moves the puck well — tape-to-tape passes every time — great vision on the ice...probably one of the smartest d-man I've seen.

"We made our team better, without giving up anything," the GM added.

Where the chemistry fits in, Pernerowski is from Whitby and many of the current Cougars are from the Durham region as well. Either as former teammates, summer hockey/workouts, or through mutual friends, he already knows Anton and Andrew Zupancic, Derek Foote, Jake Flegel, Keinan Brown, Evan Jasper and Dylon McMahon.

"It's kind of weird stepping into a room that you haven't been in before and you know a good chunk of the players," Pernerowski said before practice on Wednesday. "It makes it a lot easier on me for the transition."

A couple of other times he's been traded, Pernerowski knew no more than one other person.

"There was a little bit of an adjustment (those times)," he said. "The first couple days are a little quiet and you keep to yourself and then you open up and guys open up to you. I just got here so I haven't seen what it's like, but it seems like it will definitely be an easier transition than I've been used to before."

The majority of Pernerowski's previous OJHL experience, starting in the 2007-08 season, has been in Trenton (with the Quinte West Pack, Trenton Hercs and the Golden Hawks). He was traded late in the 2008-09 campaign to the former Port Hope Predators. He returned to Trenton when the Predators re-located there to become the Golden Hawks.

His best offensive season was in the 2009-2011 campaign with the Golden Hawks where he registered 46 points (10 goals, 36 assists) in 53 games. He played just seven games last season with Trenton before being dealt out west to Victoria (he had five goals and 12 assists in 21 games there).

"I'm definitely excited to be back close to home and playing for a contending team," Pernerowski said. "(Cobourg's) record speaks for itself. They're a solid team and I just hope to contribute on the back end, maybe a little bit on the power play, and just help the team as much as I can."

Victoria has struggled this season and by Tuesday traded most of its veteran players. Pernerowski got injured in early December and the team let him go home early for Christmas. He didn't return to Victoria. The Grizzlies ultimately gave him permission to speak with other clubs. He spoke with teams in several different leagues, looking for the best fit.

There was a lot of interest in Pernerowski (according to the player himself as well as Diminie). In the end, Cobourg was the best option.

"I was just kind of set on playing close to home for a top team," Pernerowski said. "I was very excited to get the opportunity to play here."

Pernerowski, who is in his final junior year and is hoping to gain a hockey scholarship, said he enjoyed his time with the Victoria Grizzlies.

"B.C. is an awesome place. The league is very competitive and I definitely became a better hockey player from when I went there until now," he said. "I'm just happy to be on a top team that has a shot at winning the division and going a long way."

Pernerowski just wants to make his presence felt on the ice, in a positive way.

"Obviously I'm not try to change anything, I'm just trying to add to a good thing...just keep it rolling," he said. "I'm an offensive defenceman and I just hope to be able to put up some points. Just try not to step on anybody's toes or get in the way of anything, just gel nicely with the team."

Pernerowski could make his debut Monday night when the Cougars (29-8-1) host the Peterborough Stars (8-27-4). Game time is 7 p.m. at the Cobourg Community Centre.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Summary of BCHL Trade Deadline Moves:

A summary of Monday and Tuesday’s moves in the BC Hockey League:

ALBERNI VALLEY BULLDOGS - Traded F Dylan Nowakowski (91) to AJHL's Brooks Bandits for D Kirsten Odendaal (93) and future considerations. Traded Odendaal to AJHL's Olds Grizzlys for F Hunter Stewart (93). Traded D Mike Puddifant (91) to AJHL's Fort McMurray Oil Barons for future considerations.

CHILLIWACK CHIEFS - Trade D Mike Berry (93) to Salmon Arm Silverbacks for future considerations. Acquired D Anderson White (91) from USHL's DesMoines Buccaneers for future considerations. Acquired F Kody Dhaliwal (91) from SJHL's Flin Flon Bombers for future considerations.

COQUITLAM EXPRESS - Added F Jace Hennig (95) to regular roster.

COWICHAN VALLEY CAPITALS - Added F Matt Grant (93) from WHL's Everett Silvertips.

LANGLEY RIVERMEN - Released F Patrick Martens (92) to KIJHL's Nelson Leafs. Added D Nicholas Gushue (94) after releasing him the week prior. Acquired F Peter McMullen (93) from Vernon Vipers for future considerations.

MERRITT CENTENNIALS - Acquired F Carter Shinkaruk (91) from Powell River Kings for future considerations. Traded F Dustin Lebrun (92) to AJHL's Sherwood Park Crusaders for future considerations.

NANAIMO CLIPPERS - Traded F Teal Burns (92) to Powell River Kings for F Brenden Forbes (92) and D Taylor Carmola (92). Traded F Colton Cyr (91) to Vernon Vipers for F Clayton Chessa (91). Traded D Zach Ovics (93) to NAHL's Dawson Creek Rage for future considerations. Released D Tristan Lowenberger (92) to VIJHL's Oceanside Generals.

PENTICTON VEES - Traded F Mark McLellan (94) and future considerations to Victoria Grizzlies for F Wade Murphy (93).

POWELL RIVER KINGS - Traded G Jamie Phillips (93) to OJHL's Toronto Junior Canadiens for F J.P. Villeneuve (92). Traded F Brenden Forbes (92) and D Taylor Carmola (92) to Nanaimo Clippers for F Teal Burns (92). Traded F Carter Shinkaruk (91) to Merritt Centennials for future considerations. Signed F Brendon MacDonald (91) as a free agent after he was released by Cowichan Valley Capitals. Added G Jonah Imoo (94) from PIJHL's Richmond Sockeyes.

PRINCE GEORGE SPRUCE KINGS - Acquired F Jarryd Ten Vaanholt (91) from Victoria Grizzlies for future considerations. Acquired F Zack Rassell (92) from AJHL's Canmore Eagles for future considerations.

SALMON ARM SILVERBACKS - Traded F Kody Dhaliwal (91) to SJHL's Flin Flon Bombers for future considerations. Acquired D Mike Berry (93) from Chilliwack Chiefs for future considerations.

SURREY EAGLES - No moves.

TRAIL SMOKE EATERS - Traded F Clayton Chessa (91) to Vernon Vipers for future considerations.

VERNON VIPERS - Traded F Clayton Chessa (91) to Nanaimo Clippers for F Colton Cyr (91). Traded F Peter McMullen (93) to Langley Rivermen for future considerations. F Dylan Walchuk (92) left team to join WHL's Spokane Chiefs.

VICTORIA GRIZZLIES - Traded F Jarryd Ten Vaanholt (91) to Prince George Spruce Kings for future considerations. Traded G Jamie Tucker (91) and F Mike Collins (91) to MJHL's Dauphin Kings for future considerations. Traded F Wade Murphy (93) to Penticton Vees for F Mark McLellan (94) and future considerations. Traded F Mike Moran (91) to AJHL's Spruce Grove Saints for future considerations. Traded D Taylor Pernerowski (91) to OJHL's Cobourg Cougars for future considerations. Released D Kevin Woodyatt (92). Added D Kevin Smith (91) from WHL's Kelowna Rockets. Added G Nick Taylor (92) from PIJHL's Grandview Steelers.

WESTSIDE WARRIORS - Traded D Izaak Berglund (91) and D Michael King (91) to AJHL's Lloydminster Bobcats for future considerations. Traded D Klay Kachur (91) to Battlefords North Stars for D Curtis Toneff (93). Added D Mathew Berry-Lamontagna (93) from WHL's Prince Albert Raiders.

As always, if there are any moves I've missed or need corrections, please leave a comment below.

Powell River-Toronto Trade:

The Powell River Kings made their fourth move ahead of the BCHL trade deadline yesterday, sending G Jamie Phillips (93) to the Toronto Junior Canadiens of the OJHL for F J.P. Villeneuve (92).

Obviously with the addition of Teal Burns and now Villeneuve, Kent Lewis feels that his forward group now has the depth to compete and beat the top teams in the Coastal Conference. The Kings are currently four points back of the first place Cowichan Valley Capitals.

To Powell River:
F J.P. Villeneuve (92)

To Toronto:
G Jamie Phillips (93)

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 37
Trades Made Within BCHL: 13
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 24
Players: 54
Future Considerations: 31

Chilliwack-Flin Flon Trade:

A day after being acquired by the Flin Flon Bombers of the SJHL from the Salmon Arm Silverbacks, F Kody Dhaliwal (91) was on the move again, this time to a very familiar place featuring a former coach & GM.

Dhaliwal was picked up by the Chilliwack Chiefs and will once again be coached by Harvey Smyl, who he played with for two full seasons from 2009-2011.

To Chilliwack:
F Kody Dhaliwal (91)

To Flin Flon:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 36
Trades Made Within BCHL: 13
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 23
Players: 52
Future Considerations: 31

Prince George-Canmore Trade:

The Prince George Spruce Kings filled out their last roster spot, acquiring F Zack Rassell (92) from the AJHL's Canmore Eagles for future considerations.

To Prince George:
F Zack Rassell (92)

To Canmore:
Future Considerations

Here's the official release from the Spruce Kings website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRINCE GEORGE, BC – The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) have acquired Zack Rassell from the Canmore Eagles of the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL) in exchange for future considerations.

Zack Rassell is a 19 year old forward, 6' 1" 192 lbs, from Calgary, AB with three seasons in the AJHL and a record of 20 goals and 37 assists in 123 games.

"We're excited to get Zack because he will help strengthen an already strong forward group," said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. "He is a quality player that is good at both ends of the ice and has put up good numbers in the Alberta junior league. We look forward to him doing the same here with us and are excited for his arrival in Prince George."

Zack Rassell is expected to be with the Spruce Kings in time for the team's three game Interior Division road trip. The Spruce Kings are in Chilliwack Friday night, Penticton Saturday night and Vernon Sunday afternoon.
---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 35
Trades Made Within BCHL: 13
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 22
Players: 51
Future Considerations: 30

Powell River-Nanaimo Trade:

The mystery of where F Teal Burns (92) would end up after he was reassigned to a BCHL team by the WHL's Everett Silvertips is now solved.

Burns' BCHL rights were held by the Nanaimo Clippers and Mike Vandekamp moved those rights to the Powell River Kings for F Brenden Forbes (92) and D Taylor Carmola (92).

To Powell River:
F Teal Burns (92)

To Nanaimo:
F Brenden Forbes (92)

D Taylor Carmola (92)

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 34
Trades Made Within BCHL: 13
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 21
Players: 50
Future Considerations: 29

Trail-Vernon-Nanaimo Trade:

In one of the biggest deals of deadline day, the Trail Smoke Eaters traded their leading scorer, F Clayton Chessa (91) to the Vernon Vipers for future considerations.

The Vipers then turned around and sent Chessa to the Nanaimo Clippers for F Colton Cyr (91).

To Nanaimo:
F Clayton Chessa (91)

To Vernon:
F Colton Cyr (91)

To Trail:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 33
Trades Made Within BCHL: 12
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 21
Players: 47
Future Considerations: 29

Chilliwack-Salmon Arm Trade:

With the addition of D Anderson White (91) from the Des Moines Buccaneers of the NAHL, the Chilliwack Chiefs needed to make a move to get down to the right roster number.

Harvey Smyl did, sending D Mike Berry (93) to Salmon Arm for future considerations.

To Salmon Arm:
D Mike Berry (93)

To Chilliwack:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 31
Trades Made Within BCHL: 10
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 21
Players: 46
Future Considerations: 28

Victoria-Spruce Grove Trade:

Without a doubt the busiest team in the league on deadline day, there's lots of speculation from around the BCHL on how the Victoria Grizzlies will ice a complete lineup for the remainder of the season.

The Grizzlies moved another veteran player in F Mike Moran (91) to the AJHL's Spruce Grove Saints for future considerations after he started the season with Penticton before being dealt to Victoria during the first week of the 2011-12 campaign.

To Spruce Grove:
F Mike Moran (91)

To Victoria:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 30
Trades Made Within BCHL: 9
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 21
Players: 45
Future Considerations: 27

Victoria-Dauphin Trade:

After trading Wade Murphy and Jarryd Ten Vaanholt early yesterday, Victoria wasn't done there, sending two more veteran players packing in G Jamie Tucker (91) and F Mike Collins (91) to the MJHL's Dauphin Kings for future considerations.

With Victoria in a bit of a tailspin and Dauphin currently tied for first place in the MJHL, obviously it's a good fit here because the Grizzlies future considerations will help them build for the future while the Kings are gunning for an RBC championship.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the top teams in the AJHL, SJHL and MJHL aren't looking at the firepower and balance of Penticton and maybe assessing their roster with the expectation that to get to the RBC from the West, you've got to beat the Vees.

To Dauphin:
F Mike Collins (91)

G Jamie Tucker (91)

To Victoria:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 29
Trades Made Within BCHL: 9
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 20
Players: 44
Future Considerations: 26

Merritt-Sherwood Park Trade:

With the addition of F Carter Shinkaruk (91) on Monday, the Merritt Centennials needed to move a player before midnight last night and Luke Pierce did just that, sending F Dustin Lebrun (92) to the AJHL's Sherwood Park Crusaders for future considerations.

To Sherwood Park:
F Dustin Lebrun (92)

To Merritt:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 28
Trades Made Within BCHL: 9
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 19
Players: 42
Future Considerations: 25

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

UPDATE: Westside-Battlefords Trade:

This isn't a new deal, but more details are now known about a previously announced one.

In the trade yesterday that saw Westside move D Klay Kachur (91) to the Battlefords North Stars of the SJHL for future considerations, the futures wind up being D Curtis Toneff (93).

So here's how the new deal breaks down...

To Westside:
D Curtis Toneff (93)

To Battlefords:
D Klay Kachur (91)

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 27
Trades Made Within BCHL: 9
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 18
Players: 41
Future Considerations: 24

Westside-Lloydminster Trade:

With the Warriors ten points out of a playoff spot in the Interior Conference, Westside made its second deal in as many days and this one is a biggie.

Rylan Ferster send two players who won't be back next season - D Isaak Berglund (91) and D Michael King (93) to the AJHL's Lloydminster Bobcats for future considerations.

To Lloydminster:
D Izaak Berglund (91)

D Michael King (93)

To Westside:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 27
Trades Made Within BCHL: 9
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 18
Players: 40
Future Considerations: 25

Alberni Valley-Olds Trade:

Just a day after acquiring D Kirsten Odendaal (93) from the AJHL's Brooks Bandits in a deal that saw captain Dylan Nowakowski move east, the Alberni Valley Bulldogs have flipped Odendaal to the Olds Grizzlys for F Hunter Stewart (93).

Odendaal was subsequently moved from Olds to Camrose, but I'll leave that to the AJHL bloggers to tackle.

To Alberni Valley:
F Hunter Stewart (93)

To Olds:
D Kirsten Odendaal (93)

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 26
Trades Made Within BCHL: 9
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 17
Players: 38
Future Considerations: 24

Penticton-Victoria Trade:

The rich get richer at the BCHL Trade Deadline as the supposed fire sale in Victoria has benefited the Penticton Vees. The Vees have picked up F Wade Murphy (93) from the Grizzlies in exchange for F Mark McLellan (94) and future considerations.

With the move, Penticton now features six of the top seven scorers in the league, which is an offense that is arguably unmatched in the 50 year history of the BCHL.

To Penticton:
F Wade Murphy (93)

To Victoria:
F Mark McLellan (94)

+ Future Considerations
---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 25
Trades Made Within BCHL: 9
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 16
Players: 36
Future Considerations: 24

Victoria-Prince George Trade:

There are a TON of rumours flying around right now about the Victoria Grizzlies, but so far the only confirmation of a deal that they have is the trade of F Jarryd Ten Vaanholt (91) to the Prince George Spruce Kings for future considerations.

This is the type of deal I think many expected PG to make, knowing that they had two open roster spots and could easily add without subtracting anyone.

To Prince George:
F Jarryd Ten Vaanholt (91)

To Victoria:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 24
Trades Made Within BCHL: 8
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 16
Players: 34
Future Considerations: 23

Chilliwack-Des Moines Trade:

The Chilliwack Chiefs have made a move before the BCHL trade deadline, adding D Anderson White (91) from the Des Moines Buccaneers of the USHL for future considerations.

It's a borderline "homecoming" for White as he returns to the organization he spent a season and a half with from 2009-2011 as a member of the Quesnel Millionaires before they moved to Chilliwack.

The Chiefs were also playing with just 20 players on their roster so the addition of White means that Harvey Smyl doesn't have to drop a player to fit him in.

To Chilliwack:
D Anderson White (91)

To Des Moines:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Chiefs website:

The Chilliwack Chiefs have acquired 20 year old defenseman Anderson White from the Des Moines Buccaneers of the USHL in exchange for future considerations. The 6’4, 215lb blue liner is from Caledon, Ontario and spent a season and a half playing for the Quesnel Millionaires before suiting up for Des Moines this season.

Head Coach and General Manager Harvey Smyl says White will bring a few assets to the Chiefs, “ Anderson is a good skater who is difficult to play against in his own end and is capable of chipping in offensively as well.” As for White, he is thrilled to be on his way to Chilliwack, “I am very excited, I have heard so many good things about the Chiefs organization.”

White will arrive in Chilliwack tonight and will be on the ice Wednesday for practice.

The Chiefs next home game is Friday night versus the Prince George Spruce Kings at 7pm at Prospera Centre.
---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 23
Trades Made Within BCHL: 7
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 16
Players: 33
Future Considerations: 22

Merritt-Powell River Trade:

The Merritt Centennials got in on the act before the BCHL Trade Deadline with the acquisition of F Carter Shinkaruk (91) from the Powell River Kings for future considerations.

The Cents obviously had room to add a 20-year-old with just four on the roster, but with Shinkaruk being added, Merritt is now one player over the 21-man limit, so Luke Pierce can't be done adjusting his roster today.

Obviously Pierce thought his club needed a bigger veteran presence as Shinkaruk is a guy with 151 career BCHL games under his belt and maybe even more importantly, 17 playoff games.

To Merritt:
F Carter Shinkaruk (91)

To Powell River:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 22
Trades Made Within BCHL: 7
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 15
Players: 32
Future Considerations: 21

Salmon Arm-Flin Flon Trade:

After trading Bryce Gervais and Brett Knowles, the rebuild continues in Salmon Arm as the Silverbacks have dealt F Kody Dhaliwal (91) to the SJHL's Flin Flon Bombers for future considerations.

For Salmon Arm, it's their fourth deal in the last three weeks, and I'd be willing to bet it's not their last.

To Flin Flon:
F Kody Dhaliwal (91)

To Salmon Arm:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 21
Trades Made Within BCHL: 6
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 15
Players: 31
Future Considerations: 20

Alberni Valley-Fort MacMurray Trade:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs have made their second trade in as many days, once again moving a player who is playing out his junior eligibility this season.

On the heels of trading leading scorer F Dylan Nowakowski (91) to the Brooks Bandits, the Bulldogs have now sent D Mike Puddifant (91) to the Fort MacMurray Oil Barons for future considerations.

Sources tell me that Puddifant still needs to clear BCHL waivers for the deal to go through, and if he isn't claimed by any of the other 15 teams, then the veteran of 158 junior 'A' games will officially become property of the Oil Barons.

**UPDATE: Puddifant HAS cleared BCHL waivers and will join Fort MacMurray**

To Fort MacMurray:
D Mike Puddifant (91)

To Alberni Valley:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 20
Trades Made Within BCHL: 6
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 14
Players: 30
Future Considerations: 19

Monday, January 9, 2012

Alberni Valley-Brooks Trade:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs have made a deal with an eye on next season, sending leading scorer F Dylan Nowakowski (91) to the AJHL's Brooks Bandits for D Kirsten Odendaal (93) and future considerations.

To Alberni Valley:
D Kirsten Odendaal (93)

+ Future Considerations

To Brooks:
F Dylan Nowakowski (91)

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 19
Trades Made Within BCHL: 6
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 13
Players: 29
Future Considerations: 18

Westside-Battlefords Trade:

The Westside Warriors got a jump on tomorrow's trade deadline, moving D Klay Kachur (91) to the SJHL's Battlefords North Stars for future considerations.

The move leaves Westside with just three other 1991-born players (D Izaak Berglund, D Peter MacIntosh, G Dwayne Rodrigue) and two others (F Connor Dempsey, D Michael King) who are graduating at the end of the season, so you'd think there will be interest in all five as "rental players" heading into the deadline tomorrow.

To Battlefords North Stars:
F Klay Kachur (91)

To Westside Warriors:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 18
Trades Made Within BCHL: 6
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 12
Players: 27
Future Considerations: 17

Vernon-Langley Trade:

A day after speculating where F Peter McMullen (93) would end up after being removed from Vernon's roster, it turns out that he's been traded to Langley for future considerations.

The trade puts Langley over the number of imports allowed, including injured F Scott Moyer (92), which means (I think) they'll need to get down to eight by midnight tomorrow night as that's the Hockey Canada carding deadline.

Here's how this deal breaks down...

To Langley Rivermen:
F Peter McMullen (93)

To Vernon Vipers:
Future Considerations

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 17
Trades Made Within BCHL: 6
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 11
Players: 26
Future Considerations: 16

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Lots of Roster Juggling in the BCHL:

A number of teams are juggling their rosters, knowing that Tuesday is the trading deadline in the Canadian Junior Hockey League and the card cut-down date for Hockey Canada.

That being said, here's a summary of the latest moves.

Prince George has reassigned F Michael Klonarakis (95) to the Pursuit of Excellence program in Kelowna and replaced his required 16-year-old roster spot with D Latrell Charleson (most recently a member of the BCMML Valley West Hawks). Charles has already played with the Spruces as an AP this season, now he becomes a member of their regular roster.

The move leaves PG with 19 players on its roster, meaning that GM Mike Hawes can add a player (or two) before deadline day without giving up anyone.

To Prince George:
D Latrell Charleson (95)
To Pursuit of Excellence:
F Michael Kolnarakis (95)

The Langley Rivermen have been busy all season tinkering with their roster, but it doesn't appear that all the moves will add up to a playoff spot for the Coastal Conference newcomers.

Just over a month after signing him, the Rivermen have released F Aiden Cavallini (92). There's no word if the son of former NHLer Gino Cavallini will return to his former USHL club, the Chicago Steel, or resurface with a different BCHL team.

F Aiden Cavallini (92)
The Rivermen also released D Nicholas Gushue (94), who's been bit by the injury bug this season, only playing in eight games with Langley before suffering a concussion. He's out indefinitely and here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

D Nicholas Gushue (94)
The Vernon Vipers have also gotten in on the act. With the return to the line-up of captain Patrick McGillis, the Snakes have released F Peter McMullen (93). McMullen just joined Vernon near the end of October from the USHL's Omaha Lancers, so just like Cavallini, it'll be interesting to see where he lands before Tuesday, if not even back with the Vipers.

F Peter McMullen (93)
And last but not least, just before embarking on a three game weekend jaunt through the Interior Conference that ended with a 10-2 loss to Westside, the Victoria Grizzlies released a player after he played in just two games for them.

F Mitch Guiel (94) has been released to the PIJHL's Aldergrove Kodiaks, the junior B team that he played with last season. He's still property of the Seattle Thunderbirds, but seeing as how he's already lost his NCAA eligibility, I wonder if it's WHL or bust for the 17-year-old. Regardless, he's no longer with the Grizzlies.

F Mitch Guiel (94)
---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 16
Trades Made Within BCHL: 5
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 11
Players: 25
Future Considerations: 15

BCHL Trade Deadline Time Confirmation:

I've had a few people ask me if I know exactly when the trade deadline is in the BCHL and Canadian Junior Hockey League. I emailed BCHL Commissioner John Grisdale and he got back to me right away with this:

CJHL deadline starts at 6PM in BC and works across Canada to the Maritimes at 10PM. Hope that helps.

So if I understand John correctly, it means that the deadline falls at the following times (all times local):

BCHL: 6 pm PST
AJHL: 7 pm MST
SJHL/MJHL: 8 pm CST
SIJHL/NOJHL/OJHL/CCHL/LHJAAAQ: 9 pm EST
MHL: 10 pm AST

As always, any comments or corrections are welcomed!
---

Saturday, January 7, 2012

BCHL Import & 20-Year-Old Numbers Heading Into Trade Deadline:

With the BCHL & Hockey Canada trading/carding deadline coming up, I thought I'd do the same thing I did last year and take a look at what teams are facing heading into this Tuesday as it relates to their 1991-born and import players.

INTERIOR CONFERENCE

1. Penticton (33-3-0-2)

Number of 20 year olds: 6
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 0
Number of imports: 6
Number of imports able to add: 2

2. Merritt (21-10-2-5)

Number of 20 year olds: 4
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 2
Number of imports: 0
Number of imports able to add: 8

3. Prince George (19-13-2-3)

Number of 20 year olds: 3
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 3
Number of imports: 2
Number of imports able to add: 6

4. Chilliwack (19-14-0-2)

Number of 20 year olds: 4
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 2
Number of imports: 6
Number of imports able to add: 2

5. Vernon (17-16-1-2)

Number of 20 year olds: 5
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 1
Number of imports: 4
Number of imports able to add: 4

6. Salmon Arm (13-19-0-6)

Number of 20 year olds: 4
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 2
Number of imports: 5
Number of imports able to add: 3

7. Westside (11-19-1-5)

Number of 20 year olds: 4
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 2
Number of imports: 5
Number of imports able to add: 3

8. Trail (6-24-1-4)

Number of 20 year olds: 3
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 3
Number of imports: 5
Number of imports able to add: 3

COASTAL CONFERENCE

1. Cowichan Valley (23-9-1-4)

Number of 20 year olds: 6
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 0
Number of imports: 3
Number of imports able to add: 5

2. Powell River (23-13-2-2)

Number of 20 year olds: 6
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 0
Number of imports: 5
Number of imports able to add: 3

3. Surrey (21-10-1-3)

Number of 20 year olds: 5
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 1
Number of imports: 6
Number of imports able to add: 2

4. Coquitlam (20-12-2-2)

Number of 20 year olds: 4
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 2
Number of imports: 5
Number of imports able to add: 3

5. Nanaimo (17-14-0-6)

Number of 20 year olds: 6
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 0
Number of imports: 5
Number of imports able to add: 3

6. Victoria (18-20-0-0)

Number of 20 year olds: 5
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 1
Number of imports: 5
Number of imports able to add: 3

7. Langley (13-22-1-2)

Number of 20 year olds: 3
Number of 20 year olds able to add: 3
Number of imports: 8
Number of imports able to add: 0

8. Alberni Valley (13-20-2-0)

Friday, January 6, 2012

Trail Makes a Quartet of Moves:

The Trail Smoke Eaters have been busy today ahead of Tuesday's trade deadline, acquiring two players and trading another.

First the Smokies added D Joren Johnson (94) to their regular roster (which had actually been reported by a number of media sources before Christmas). However, until now he had still been listed as an affiliate player with Trail, but has been practicing and playing with the Smoke Eaters as a regular.

D Joren Johnson (94)

Then with a glut of blueliners, the Smokies traded D Tanner Hicks (93) to the AJHL's Brooks Bandits for future considerations.

Hicks had been acquired earlier this season from Alberni Valley. He does have some experience in the AJHL, having played five games with the Okotoks Oilers last season. And he's from Calgary to boot, so the 19 year old is returning to his home province. Here's how this deal shakes down...

To Brooks Bandits:
D Tanner Hicks (93)

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
Future Considerations

And Trail GM/Head Coach Bill Birks also acquired F Riley McDougall (93) from the Calgary Canucks of the AJHL for future considerations. Here's the 411 on this deal...

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
F Riley McDougall (93)

To Calgary Canucks:
Future Considerations

The Smoke Eaters also granted F Brendan Sanitini (93) his outright release, meaning that he's a free agent able to sign with any junior team without Trail receiving any compensation.

F Brendan Santini (93)

---
BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1):
Trades Made: 16
Trades Made Within BCHL: 5
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 11
Players: 25
Future Considerations: 15

Clan vs. T-Birds Could Become Next Great Hockey Rivalry:

This was posted on the BCHL website yesterday and should be a great series of hockey starting tonight out at UBC.

Here's the article from BCHL.ca...

It could become the Shrum Bowl of hockey.

While Simon Fraser University and the University of British Columbia have a long tradition with their rival football squads, the schools’ hockey teams will play for the first time this weekend in the first annual University Hockey Classic.

SFU are the defending champions of the recently formed B.C. Intercollegiate Hockey League while the ‘Birds play at the more-established Canadian Interuniversity Sport level.

A total of 14 BCHL alumni will take part in the weekend series. A pair of them was on hand at Thursday’s ceremonial faceoff and media event at Burnaby’s Bill Copeland Arena.

“I hope this is going to be the start of a great tradition because we’re obviously the two main schools in the Lower Mainland and I hope we can be competitive with each other,” said UBC alternate captain and leading scorer Max Grassi, who finished his BCHL career in 2009 with the Penticton Vees. “I hope it will grow university hockey in the Lower Mainland and people will appreciate it more and hopefully we can get some more attendance out to both schools.

“Every year, it should be something both teams are excited for and hopefully the city gets excited for.”

SFU captain Chris Hoe, a former Salmon Arm SilverBack, knows his team will be an underdog but has seen the Clan program grow substantially in just a few years and will provide a test for the Thunderbirds. He says hockey fans will be in for a good show.

“I know SFU in the last couple of years has really changed where they get guys from and how they recruit guys,” said Hoe. “If someone hasn’t seen an SFU game, they’d be very surprised at the calibre.”

SFU coach Mark Coletta recognizes UBC plays in a league that has more proven players but believes his group will open the eyes of local hockey fans.

“Obviously, they’re in a higher level than we are in our league, so we prepare ourselves for the best competition we’re going to face all year,” said Coletta. “I think the caliber is pretty close; I know our guys are up for the game and hopefully we can show to the local fans that we’re right there.”

It’s logical to make the series into an annual tradition says UBC bench boss Milan Dragicevic.

“I think it’s great; a lot of the players from the respective teams know each other,” he said. “I know our players are looking forward to it and for us it makes a lot of sense. Our closest rival is Calgary and that’s a plane ride away and so it makes sense to establish a rival nice and close.”

Friday’s game will be at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre at UBC and Saturday’s finale will be at Bill Copeland Arena in Burnaby. Both games start at 7 p.m. and tickets are available at the door or online at www.sfuhockeystore.com.

Although the article mentions there are 14 BCHL alumni taking part in the game, there are actually a total of 20 former players who have played at least one game in the BCHL between the two team's rosters.

SFU Clan

UBC Thunderbirds

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Former Vernon Defenceman Erik Felde Signs With ECHL's Utah Grizzlies:

(Erik Felde's profile picture as a member of the WHL's Tri-City Americans in 2007)

D Erik Felde has signed with the East Coast Hockey League's Utah Grizzlies after only playing five games in pro hockey last season.

I haven't been able to find out if the 24 year old was injured or taking a time-out from hockey in 2010-11, but the Grizzlies have added him as a free agent to bring depth to their blueline.

Multiple websites list Felde as a forward, but on the ECHL site, he's listed as a defenceman with the Grizzlies and was also a dman with Vernon during his BCHL days. In reality, Felde was a "rover" type of defenceman, who could join the rush and contribute offensively as well as any top line forward.

F/D Erik Felde

Former Nanaimo Forward Teal Burns Reassigned to BCHL by WHL's Everett Silvertips:

(Teal Burns earlier this season as a member of the Vancouver Giants)

With the trade deadline in both the BCHL and WHL looming on Tuesday, there's expected to be a lot of movement of players between now and then.

F Matt Grant (93) has already been recalled by Everett and now a former member of the BCHL is heading back to the league after being reassigned by the Silvertips.

F Teal Burns (92) is awaiting reassignment by Everett, but his junior 'A' rights are held by Nanaimo and the Clippers currently have just 20 players on their roster (D Zach Ovics (93) has requested a trade after playing predominantly as a seventh defenceman).

So if Nanaimo is OK with playing with six blueliners, they could trade Ovics, add Burns and not have to give anything else up. We'll know by Tuesday if things shake down that way.

F Teal Burns (92)

Here's the article from The Herald newspaper in Everett:

Burns reassigned, Murray on way back as Tips start to sort the roster
Nick Patterson

Thursday, January 5, 2012 | 3:04 pm

Everett's roster is beginning to sort itself out, and the Tips just might be able to field a first-choice lineup for the first time this season during the coming weekend, when Everett faces the daunting task of a three-in-three against the U.S. Division's top three teams. Here's how things shook out today:

- Everett reassigned center Teal Burns to the BCHL. The 19-year-old Burns was acquired in November from Prince Albert in exchange for a sixth-round bantam pick. Burns played in just 15 games with the Tips tallying two goals and one assist.

- The reassigning of Burns frees up a roster spot for center Manraj Hayer to come off the long-term injury list. Hayer, who's been out with a broken fibula, appears set to make his season debut Friday night in Portland. Winger Zach McPhee remains on the long-term injury list as he recovers from knee surgery, but he's on the brink of returning, too.

- Goaltender Austin Lotz returned today from his stint with Team West at the U-17 World Hockey Challenge. However, he picked up a bit of a groin injury, meaning called-up netminder Andy Desautels is still with the team for the time being.

- No word yet on whether defenseman Brennan Yadlowski is getting suspended for his match penalty for kicking against Seattle on Wednesday. I would have expected a decision to have come down by now, so I suspect there may be some dispute going on.

- Finally, rumor has it Tips captain Ryan Murray is meeting the team in Portland tomorrow. Murray is fresh off winning a bronze medal with Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championships this afternoon. Usually Canadian World Juniors players get a little time off after the tournament to go home, since they missed the holidays. However, Murray went home when he was out with his ankle injury and the team was on its eastern swing, so apparently he's headed straight back. He may not be thrust straight into the lineup, but it seems he'll get game action sometime this weekend. Also, winger Vladimir Dolnik is expected back Saturday after playing for Slovakia at World Juniors.

Everett still has some roster sorting to do. Even with Burns being reassigned the Tips have 28 players on the roster, which is three more than allowed. Desautels will return to his junior A team once Lotz is healthy, so that's one spot. But with 16 forwards and nine defensemen, something's got to give. It'll be a busy few days for Everett general manager Doug Soetaert between now and Tuesday's trade deadline.