Friday, December 28, 2012

BCHL News & Notes - Dec. 28:

Chilliwack Chiefs F Mitch Skapski (96) joins WHL's Everett Silvertips

Word came out yesterday that 16-year-old Chiefs forward Mitch Skapski had signed with the WHL's Everett Silvertips for the remainder of the 2012-13 season, effectively ending his chance for an NCAA scholarship.

According to Marc Fitzgerald's blog (Chiefs Central), Skapski was actually released by Chilliwack a week ago, which enabled him to join the Silvertips.

F Mitch Skapski (96)
Here's the release from Everett's website:

EVERETT – The Everett Silvertips today announced the addition of four players who will join the team immediately to help offset the absence of players who are currently away at international tournaments.  Forward Mitch Skapski has signed a WHL Education Contract and will join the Silvertips on a full-time basis, while forwards Logan Aasman and Kyle Raymond and 15-year-old defenseman Kevin Davis will also be with the club when it returns from the WHL holiday break with three games this weekend.

Skapski, 16, was acquired by the Silvertips in May in the same trade that brought Ben Betker and Tyler Sandhu to Everett from Portland in exchange for Seth Jones.  As the only 1996-born player with the Chilliwack Chiefs of the BCHL, Skapski had three goals, eight points and 39 penalty minutes in 29 games this year.  Hailing from Abbotsford, BC and originally selected in the fourth round (#86 overall) of the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft, the 5-9, 155-pound winger racked up 26 goals, 49 points and 86 penalty minutes in 40 midget games last season.

“We’re very excited that Mitch has decided to commit to our program this year,” said General Manager Garry Davidson.  “He’s known for his high level of compete and energy and plays a much bigger game than his size suggests.  Having Mitch here sooner will give him added experience that should help him going into next year.”

———

Alberni Valley Bulldogs forward Manny Gialedakis (92) commits to SUNY-Oswego

Gialedakis is the fifth Bulldogs player to secure a commitment to an NCAA school, after Ryan Lough, Evan Tironese, Bo Pellah, Matt Hansen and Marlon Sabo.

F Manny Gialedakis (92)
Here's the release from the Bulldogs website:

Port Alberni, BC - The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are proud to announce that 1992-born forward Manny Gialedakis has committed to the NCAA Division III program at Oswego State University of New York.

Gialedakis was acquired by the Bulldogs in mid-September from the Georgetown Raiders of the Ontario Junior Hockey League for future considerations.

"I feel like its been a long time coming and I cannot be more pleased with where I'll be going,” said Gialedakis. “Oswego is a great school with an even better hockey history and to say that I will be apart of their program next year is an honor."

Since joining the Bulldogs, Gialedakis has been very committed to both his on-ice performance and off-ice initiatives. On the ice, Gialedakis has contributed with 11 goals and 15 assists in 30 games, including a hat trick against the Powell River Kings.

Gialedakis has also been very active in the community. Shortly after joining the Bulldogs, he helped out at the SPCA walking dogs in the mornings and spent two days each week in local elementary schools as a member of the “Bulldogs In Schools” program. Gialedakis is now registered for three courses at North Island College in order to maintain his NCAA eligibility for next September. In addition to his studies at NIC, Gialedakis is also involved in the Alberni Clayoquot Regional District’s 3 R’s recycling program that will have Gialedakis join fellow teammates present the benefits or recycling in local schools.

“The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are extremely happy to have been able to help Manny reach his goal and to play college hockey,” said Alberni Valley Bulldogs general manager and head coach Kevin Willison. “Since arriving in Alberni, Manny has worked very hard and has proven that he can play at the next level. Manny’s determination and dedication has helped him earn this opportunity for which we congratulate him,” concluded Willison.

Oswego State men’s ice hockey team sits at the No. 2 spot in the USCHO.com Division III polls. The Oswego State Lakers entered the Christmas break with a record of 9-2-0.

Manny concluded with the following message: "I’d like to thank the coaching staff, Tom McEvay and former GM Spiros Anastis for giving me the all opportunities i needed to succeed. To my mentor and friend Peter Sbaraglia I say thanks for always keeping me focused on the task at hand being there for me. My billets, The Arbanas family, for opening their doors to me and treating me like one of there own. To my parents and sister, Effie, Louie, and Maria thank you for your love and support, but no words can describe how lucky I am to have you guys with me every step of the way. I couldn't be happier with the town of Port Alberni for embracing me and I could not think of a better way to finish my last year of junior hockey than to bring this town a Championship."

———

West Kelowna adds Penticton Lakers G Niall McGregor (94) to reserve roster

The 18-year-old McGregor is the fourth goaltender to AP with the Warriors this season, although none of Brenden Mills (95), Tyler O'Donnell (93) or Cody Porter (97) have seen any action thus far.

The Calgary native has a 4-9-1 record with a 3.33 goals-against-average and a .913 save percentage in 17 games with the KIJHL's Lakers this season.

G Niall McGregor (94)
———

Coquitlam Express add F Sam Majka (93) back to active roster

Almost a month after being released from the Express while recovering from a concussion, Coquitlam has added 19-year-old rookie forward Sam Majka back to its active roster.

I'm not sure why the Express didn't put Majka on the injured reserve if he was still hurt as opposed to releasing him (it might have been because of the other injuries they had), but regardless, having the Wayzata, Minnesota native and Malcolm McKinney back to full health with help immensely. Especially considering that Alexander Kerfoot is out for the rest of the season with a shoulder injury.

F Sam Majka (93)
———

Former Chilliwack Chiefs F Jeff Tambellini leaves ZSC (Switzerland)

Two weeks after leaving the team for personal reasons, former Chilliwack Chiefs sniper Jeff Tambellini and his club team in Switzerland (ZSC Lions) have mutually terminated his contract. I don't know why Tambellini left the team, but I sincerely hope he is able to get his personal situation sorted out for the best.

F Jeff Tambellini
Here's the translated article about Tambellini's contract with ZSC being terminated:

The contract between the ZSC Lions and Jeff Tambellini is at 28 December 2012 has been dissolved by mutual agreement. About the contents of the contract was agreed keep silent.

The contract is based on the desire of the player. Jeff Tambellini traveled on 14 December 2012 for personal reasons from.

The Canadian was on the 2011/12 season pushed back from the Vancouver Canucks to the ZSC Lions. He completed 92 games for the city club and scored 69 points.

The ZSC Lions wish Jeff Tambellini for the future.