Thursday, December 27, 2012

BCHL News & Notes - Dec. 27:

First off, I hope that you had a great Christmas with family and friends and that Santa spoiled you completely! I truly appreciate all the support I receive for the blog and you reading it is the best gift I could get.

As the BCHL updater for http://www.eliteprospects.com, I've stumbled across some league related player news in the last few days and although most of the items aren't recent, I haven't seen them noted anywhere else - except for this first one.

Vernon Vipers D Marc Hetnik (92) decommits from Boston University and commits to UMass (Amherst) for September 2013

Although not noted as a commitment on the BCHL website yet, a number of media outlets online reported before Christmas that Hetnik will attend the University of Massachusetts next September instead of Boston University.

D Marc Hetnik (92)
Here's the news from The Boston Hockey Blog:

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff
Marc Hetnik Jr., the son of former Terrier Marc Hetnik, committed this week to the University of Massachusetts for the fall of 2013, news that came as a surprise to some because Hetnik Jr. had committed to Boston University in April 2011.

According to Bill Hanson, Hetnik Jr.’s former coach at Catholic Memorial School, the change was the result of BU’s lack of an available scholarship.

The elder Hetnik worked at BU at the time of his son’s commitment, meaning the family would have paid just 10 percent of BU’s tuition rate thanks to the school’s tuition remission benefits.

However, Hetnik lost his job at BU in May, according to Hanson. BU head coach Jack Parker and associate head coach Mike Bavis were “straightforward in that they didn’t have a scholarship for [Hetnik Jr.],” Hanson said.

UMass, which Hanson said has scouted Hetnik Jr. heavily during his time with the Vernon Vipers of the British Columbia Hockey League, offered him a full scholarship.

“I think it’ll be a really good fit for him,” said Hanson, who was also Hetnik Jr.’s high school guidance counselor.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound defenseman has collected five points (one goal, four assists) in 29 games for Vernon this season. He put up a line of 3-14-17 during the 2011-12 season.
Hetnik Jr.'s father played at BU under Parker for four seasons between 1975 and 1979, and played in all but one game during the Terriers' 1977-78 national championship season.

———

Former Chilliwack Chiefs F Jeremy Gossard (93) and former Salmon Arm SilverBacks F Mak Barden (93) are both with PJHL's Delta Ice Hawks

Gossard and Barden were both BCHL regulars last season, but for whatever reason, are playing junior B hockey this season with the Pacific Junior Hockey League's Delta Ice Hawks.

Statistically, Barden is having a stellar season as his 53 points (21g, 32a) in 31 games leads the PJHL in scoring. Gossard isn't lighting it up nearly as much, with 4 points (1g, 3a) in 20 games.

F Mak Barden (93) F Jeremy Gossard (93)
———

Former Victoria Grizzlies G Nick Taylor (92) joins EJHL's Rochester Stars

After being released by the Grizzlies back in July, Taylor has found a spot to play out his final season of junior hockey, signing with the Rochester Stars of the Eastern Junior Hockey League.

The Surrey native played most of 2011-12 in the PJHL, split between Port Moody Black Panthers and the Grandview Steelers before being signed by Victoria at the trade deadline last January,

He has a 4-5 record, 4.03 GAA and an .882 SV% in 14 games with the Stars this season.

G Nick Taylor (92)
———

Former Cowichan Valley Capitals G Alex Orth (95) joins PJHL's Mission City Outlaws

Orth, who started this season as the back-up to Derek Dun in Cowichan Valley before being released after just two games played, has signed with the Mission City Outlaws of the Pacific Junior Hockey League.

The Abbotsford Minor Hockey product has a 2-6 record, 5.42 GAA and an .869 SV% in nine games with the Outlaws. Orth had decent numbers with the BCMML's Fraser Valley Bruins as a 16-year-old last season and is getting his feet wet in junior hockey this season, so I would expect to see him in a BCHL camp heading into the 2013-14 season.

G Alex Orth (95) ———

Former Vernon Vipers G Joe Young (94) joins EJHL's Boston Junior Bruins

Young's situation is very similar to Orth's in that he made his junior hockey debut earlier this season in the BCHL and is still adjusting to the differences between the levels of hockey.

With a scholarship to Union College for 2014-15 in his back pocket already, he's now playing close to home (Hanson, Massachusetts is just 29 km southeast of Boston) for the remainder of the 2012-13 season.

Young has a 4-1 record with a 2.07 GAA, .922 SV% and one shutout since signing with the Junior Bruins.

G Joe Young (94)