Friday, December 21, 2012

BCHL News & Notes - Dec. 20:

As a new feature on the blog, I'll try to keep up with the daily goings on around the BC Hockey League. Of course, I'll still try to make a dedicated blog post when a trade happens or to focus on players, personnel and alumni from the BCHL.

Nanaimo affiliate player Spencer Turcotte (94) signs with OJHL Wellington Dukes

Turcotte, who joined the Clippers earlier this season with designs on joining the regular roster, played nine games in Nanaimo and has signed with the Wellington Dukes of the Ontario Junior Hockey League. He's posted three points in eight games with the Dukes thus far.

Since he's a full time member of Wellington's roster, the only way that Turcotte can play for any other junior 'A' team in Canada is if the Dukes trade or release him.

F Spencer Turcotte (94)
———

Salmon Arm releases Dustin Nikkel (93) and signs Angus Redmond (95) from PJHL Port Moody Panthers

The SilverBacks made another change in goal, this time releasing Nikkel after just three games played and grabbing Redmond from the junior 'B' ranks, where he had a 4-15-0-0 record with a struggling Port Moody squad.

The 17-year-old was added to the Prince George reserve roster earlier this season but didn't see any action with the Spruce Kings.

G Angus Redmond (95) G Dustin Nikkel (93) Here's the release from the SilverBacks website:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks are very excited to announce the signing of 17 year old Goaltender Angus Redmond.

Angus is a Langley product who appeared in 16 games during his rookie season for the Junior “B” Port Moody Panthers of the PIJHL.

The 6ft 1”, 175lbs former Major Midget net-minder with Valley West Hawks will be called upon to back up Adam Clark with the release of Dustin Nikkel.

GM Troy Mick says he's excited to watch Redmond develop into a possible future starting goaltender at the Junior “A” level.

"He's big, young and athletic, and at this level that means you always have a ton of potential, we're very excited to see what Angus can bring to the table."

Your SilverBacks finish 2012 with a home and home against West Kelowna this weekend, travelling Friday before hosting the Warriors on Saturday.

The SilverBacks would like to welcome Angus and his family to the organization - we're sure this news will make for an extra happy holiday season.

———

West Kelowna forwards Seb Lloyd (94) and David Pope (94) both commit to NCAA schools for 2014-15 season

Lloyd and Pope are the eighth and ninth members of the Warriors roster to secure a college commitment from an NCAA school. West Kelowna only finished with four committed players at the end of 2011-12, so doubling that amount is a huge feather in the cap of Head Coach and GM Rylan Ferster's squad.

F Seb Lloyd (94)

F David Pope (94)

Here's the release from the Warriors website:

It’s been a big week for the West Kelowna Warriors.

Veteran defenceman Josh Monk committed to Providence College earlier in the week, and now two more promising young players have ironed out their futures.

Star forward Seb Lloyd announced his plans earlier on Thursday via twitter (@Sebway4).  “Committed to Harvard 2014 thanks to everyone who helped me reach my goal #dreamcometrue.”

Now in second season with the Warriors, the 18 year-old is enjoying a breakout season.

The Prince George native has notched 33 points (15+18) in 25 games so far.

In addition, the star forward was an integral part of a silver medal-winning Team Canada West at this year’s World Junior ‘A’ Challenge in Nova Scotia.  At the event, Lloyd scored the lone goal of the semi-final, and was then named Canada West’s player of the game in the final.

“I’m really excited I get to go to a place like Harvard” Lloyd says of the opportunity.  “It’ll be unreal to combine great schooling with a top-flight hockey program.  It’s what I’ve been looking for all along.”

Lloyd adds that the chance to attend an ivy-league institution is an important stepping-stone for him. “My parents have always stressed education.  Hockey is going to end someday for all of us, so an ivy league degree will set me up very well for life after hockey.”

Lloyd will be joining Adam Plant at Harvard, with the Warriors’ rookie defenceman having already committed to the Crimson this past summer.

Meanwhile, David Pope is also on his way to the NCAA, having accepted a scholarship to the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

Likewise in his second year with the Warriors, Pope has become one of the team’s most reliable scorers, contributing 19 points (7+12) in 24 games this season.

Also 18 years old, the Edmonton native says he’s delighted to have committed to the UNO Mavericks.

“Getting a division I scholarship has been my goal since before I started playing Junior” an excited Pope declares.  When I was down there, there wasn’t one single thing I could see that I didn’t like.  It’s a nice place, they have great coaches, and it just seems like a good fit for me.”

And amidst the excitement of sending two more young men to prestigious NCAA programs, the Warriors are also sowing the seeds for their future.

While commitments like these should be able to help the Warriors (and the BCHL) with future recruiting, there is a more concrete upshot for West Kelowna.

Both Lloyd and Pope have committed for the 2014-15 season, meaning both will play for the Warriors next year before heading to college.

“We’re obviously thrilled for both of these guys and their families” says Warriors Head Coach Rylan Ferster of the commitments.  “There are skilled young players and (more importantly) great people who have worked hard for this chance.  Of course, we’re also expecting big things from them over the next year and a half.”

David Pope is currently nursing an upper-body injury, and will be a game-time decision for this weekend’s action.  Seb Lloyd will be in the lineup as the Warriors take on Salmon Arm.

———

Trail Captain Garrett McMullen commits to RIT for 2013-14 season

McMullen is the third Smoke Eaters player this season to commit to an NCAA program, after Brent Baltus and Scott Davidson did earlier this season.

F Garrett McMullen (92) Here's the release from the Smokies website:

The Trail Smoke Eaters are proud to announce the commitment of 20 year-old forward, and captain Garrett McMullen to NCAA Division I Rochester Institute of Technology for the 2013-14 hockey season.

McMullen, a native of Rochester, NY, sits second on the Smoke Eaters in scoring with 15 goals and 31 points. Four of McMullen’s 15 goals are game-winners, including the deciding goal in  Tuesday’s 4-2 home win over the Merritt Centennials. In 90 career BCHL games with Powell River and Trail, McMullen has scored 32 goals and 67 points, while accumulating 117 minutes in penalties.

He was named Smoke Eaters captain in August of 2012, and became the first Smoke Eater player this season to earn the award of BCHL Player of the Week earlier this month.

“We’re extremely excited to see Garrett commit to college for next season,” stated Smoke Eaters head coach/general manager Bill Birks. “This was a goal of his and he’s worked extremely hard to see it through. He’s been a terrific role model and leader for the younger kids in our dressing room since coming to Trail last autumn.”

McMullen will join former Smokies defenseman Rajan Sidhu at RIT; the Surrey native is currently taking part in his freshman season with the Tigers.
McMullen and the Smoke Eaters return to Cominco Arena on Friday, January 4th when they host the Surrey Eagles.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... looks like I need to get some earlier stats rows up on EP for some of these guys... hehe!

    ReplyDelete