Thursday, November 8, 2012

Salmon Arm-Woodstock Trade:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks made their second trade in as many days and it's a move that changes up the goaltending mix in the Shuswap.

The Backs moved 20-year-old netminder Colin Dzijacky to the Woodstock Slammers of the Maritime Hockey League for future considerations. Dzijacky had pretty good numbers with the SJHL's Humboldt Broncos after being traded to them by the AJHL's Grande Prairie Storm, but those numbers didn't necessarily translate on a SilverBacks team that currently sits last in the BCHL Interior Division although only three points out of a playoff spot. That said, Dzijacky played well for Salmon Arm and I don't think can be blamed for their position in the standings.

As a result of Dzijacky being moved out, Salmon Arm signed 19-year-old goaltender Dustin Nikkel. He's spent time this season as a Vernon Vipers affiliate, but has played mostly with the KIJHL's North Okanagan Knights.

Nikkel is an interesting story as he's been on the reserve roster of three BCHL teams (Victoria, West Kelowna, Vernon) but has yet to play in a junior A game. As the back-up to Adam Clark with the SilverBacks, I have no doubt that Salmon Arm Head Coach Scott Robinson will throw Nikkel into the mix.

To Woodstock Slammers:
G Colin Dzijacky (92)
To Salmon Arm SilverBacks:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the SilverBacks website:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks have traded 20 year old Goaltender Colin Dzijacky to the MHL's Woodstock Slammers in exchange for future considerations.

Dzijacky, a former member of the AJHL's Grande Prairie Storm and SJHL's Humboldt Broncos, saw action in 11 games for the SilverBacks this season, amassing two wins along with a .906 save percentage and goals against average of 3.46.

SilverBack's GM Troy Mick says that Colin's numbers don't properly reflect his play in Salmon Arm.

"We're talking about a guy who held our club in a number of games this season and often got little goal support in front of him. We couldn't have asked much more from Colin, he's been a great player for us on and off the ice.

Mick says the move to Woodstock will allow Colin a great chance at a well deserved scholarship.

 "The Slammers are one of the premier Junior “A” organizations in the Eastern part of Canada and this puts Colin in a position to become the number one goaltender; an essential component in  achieving his goal of a NCAA scholarship.”

The 'Backs would like to thank Colin for his contributions to the organization, both in the dressing room, and around the community of Salmon Arm. His positive attitude and sunny disposition will be missed at the Shaw Centre by players, staff and fans alike. Good luck, Colin, we will be watching and cheering from afar.

And the release from the Slammers site:

The Woodstock Slammers have acquired goaltender Colin Dzijacky from the Salmon Arm Silver backs for future considerations.  Dzijacky posted a .906 save percentage and 3.46 goals against average in 11 games for Silverbacks this season. Prior to the Silverbacks, Dzijacky played for the RBC host Humboldt Broncos posting a 2.44 goals against average and .901 save percentage.

"We have two goal tenders out with injuries right now and no immediate time frame on a return, we felt it was in our best interest to bring someone in.  Colin is a goaltender that we are familiar with as he played in the RBC Cup and performed very well.  Colin has put up good numbers and he is well respected as a goaltender. We are looking forward to his arrival" commented Head Coach Jason Tatarnic.