Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Salmon Arm-Penticton Trade:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks and Penticton Vees got into the trading act on Wednesday, agreeing on arguably the biggest deal in the Interior Conference thus far this season.

The move sees 17-year-old forward Evan Anderson and 18-year-old Mitchell Ferguson go from the Vees to the Backs for 19-year-old forward Brock Balson.

For Salmon Arm, it adds some youth by aquiring two players who are a year younger than Balson while for Penticton - as the youngest team in the BCHL - it adds a player who has 92 WHL games under his belt and is into his fourth season of junior hockey.

The trade hasn't been posted on the BCHL Transactions page at this point, but Balson is now on the Vees roster while Anderson and Ferguson are both on the SilverBacks roster.

To Salmon Arm SilverBacks:
F Evan Anderson (94)
D Mitchell Ferguson (94)
To Penticton Vees:
F Brock Balson (93)
Here's the release from the Vees website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Wednesday, November 07, 2012

PENTICTON, BC–The Penticton Vees Hockey Club has acquired forward Brock Balson (93) from the Salmon Arm Silverbacks, in exchange for defenseman Mitch Ferguson (94) and forward Evan Anderson (94).

Balson, 19, was in his second stint with the Silverbacks, posting two goals and eight points in nine games. Balson started the 2011-2012 season with Salmon Arm, amassing 10 goals and 20 points in 20 games before joining the Kamloops Blazers of the Western Hockey League (WHL). Balson appeared in 42 games for the Blazers collecting three goals and six points. Prior to joining Salmon Arm, Balson was a member of the Prince Albert Raiders in 2010-2011, playing 48 games. Balson has international experience too, as he was a member of Team Pacific at the 2010 World Under-17 Challenge.

Vees Head Coach & GM Fred Harbinson on acquiring Balson, “We felt we needed to add a natural center; Brock has shown offensive production in our league in the past and believe he can provide secondary scoring to our line-up.”

Two 18 year-olds in Evan Anderson and Mitch Ferguson will be joining the Silverbacks. Anderson was in his first season with the Vees. Last season, he played Midget hockey for the Colorado Thunderbirds. Anderson helped guide the T-Birds to an appearance in the US National Championships in Buffalo, New York, last spring. Anderson had three assists in 18 games. Ferguson was also in his first season with the Vees, after playing Prep hockey at the Edge Academy last season. Ferguson had one assist in 12 games for the Vees.

And the release from the SilverBacks website:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks are very pleased to announce the acquisitions of Evan Anderson and Mitch Ferguson from the Penticton Vees in exchange for forward Brock Balson.

Anderson is a 6ft 3”, 205lbs 18 year old forward from Littleton, Colorado while Mitch Ferguson is an 18 year old Vernon native who stands 6ft tall, and weighs in at 175lbs.

Both Anderson and Ferguson are rookies in the BCHL. This season Anderson notch three assists in 18 games while Ferguson has one helper in just 12 games.

The deal is good news for 17 year old 'Backs Forward Alex Gillies; as Evan Anderson is also committed to Michigan Tech University.

'Backs GM Troy Mick says he's very pleased with the deal that gives his club size and youth.

"Evan is a big, gritty forward with a nose for the net and the ability to put up numbers. Here in Salmon Arm he will see more ice-time and we're excited to have him here.

When asked about the acquisition of Ferguson Mick thinks the ‘Backs might have found a diamond in the rough.

 “We see Mitch as a blue-chip offensive prospect, it's going to be exciting to watch him grow and contribute with our strong group of defensemen.”

The franchise would like to welcome Evan, Mitch; and their families to the organization. We can't wait to see you in SilverBack colours this weekend!