Saturday, November 24, 2012

Prince George-Vernon Trade:

On the same day that the Spruce Kings altered their defence core by trading 20-year-old Bradley Ryan to Coquitlam for a package that included 19-year-old blueliner Mark Begert, Prince George added another defenceman in 17-year-old Kevin Guiltinan from the Vernon Vipers.

In exchange for Guiltinan, who's already committed to Harvard for next September, the Spruce Kings gave up 19-year-old forward Liam Board. So in two fell swoops, PG moved out two players and moved in three in its attempt to keep pace in a very competitive BCHL Mainland Division.

To Prince George Spruce Kings:
D Kevin Guiltinan (95) To Vernon Vipers:
F Liam Board (93) Here's the release from the Vipers website:

The Vernon Vipers have traded 17 year old defenseman Kevin Guiltinan to the Prince George Spruce Kings in exchange for 19 year old forward Liam Board.

Guiltinan was in his first season with the Vipers recording one assist in 21 games.

Board is a product of Burlington Ontario who has played in 23 games this season with the Spruce Kings tallying 5 goals and 9 assists for 14 points.  He joined the BCHL after spending last season with the Oakville Blades where he was a teammate of current Viper Braedan Russell.

The Vipers would like to wish Kevin the best of luck in the future and welcome Liam to Vernon.  Board is expected to make his debut tomorrow night in Penticton.

And the release from the Spruce Kings website:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) have completed two separate trades acquiring three new players today.

Liam Board ('93, forward) has been traded to the Vernon Vipers in exchange for Kevin Guiltinan and future considerations. Bradley Ryan (’92, defenceman) has been traded to the Coquitlam Express in exchange for Jace Hennig, Mark Begert and future considerations.

Kevin Guiltinan is a '95 born 6' 3" 205 pound defenceman from London, Ontario, is described as a physical defenceman and has secured a NCAA scholarship to Harvard University.

Jace Hennig is a '95 born 5' 10" 175 pound forward from Coquitlam, BC who is a great two way player with tremendous offensive upside and is committed to Merrimack University.

Mark Begert is a '93 born 6' 185 pound defenceman from West Vancouver, BC and is a good skating two-way defenceman.

"We are excited to add three very good players to our lineup today," said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. "We have acquired a couple of tremendous all round defenceman that will improve an already strong group on defence and a tremendous two-way forward with great offensive instincts."

"We had an opportunity to improve our club today and we took advantage of it," continued Hawes. "It is always hard to trade two fabulous young men like Bradley and Liam. We wish them all the best with their new teams."

The three new players are expected to be in Prince George in time for this weekend’s double header against the Surrey Eagles.