Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Penticton-Powell River-Salmon Arm Trade:

A big trade came out of the Interior Division today. It's actually the product of two trades - one involving Penticton and the Powell River Kings and the other involving Salmon Arm and the Vees.

The first deal saw Penticton ship 18-year-old defenceman Noah Henry to Powell River in exchange for 19-year-old forward Steven Iacobellis, who was suspended by the Kings for not reporting after being traded by Cowichan Valley to Powell River back on September 19th.

In the second portion of the transaction, the Vees packaged Iacobellis with 18-year-old forward Alex Jewell to Salmon Arm in exchange for 20-year-old defenceman Sean Flanagan.

To Powell River Kings:
D Noah Henry (94)
To Penticton Vees:
D Sean Flanagan (92)
To Salmon Arm SilverBacks:
F Steven Iacobellis (93)
F Alex Jewell (94)
Here's the release from the SilverBacks website:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks have swung a three-way trade involving both the Penticton Vees and the Powell River Kings.

The SilverBacks have traded 20 year old defender Sean Flanagan to the Penticton Vees in exchange for 18 year old forward Alex Jewell; the Vees then send 18 year old defender Noah Henry to the Powell River Kings for 19 year old forward Steven Iacobellis who becomes a member Salmon Arm SilverBacks.

The 'Backs newest acquisitions should provide some much needed offense for the club. Alex Jewell is 5'11, 175lbs forward from Coldstream who won an RBC Cup last season with the Penticton Vees in his rookie season and has tallied three goals and twelve points over 29 BCHL games; while Steven Iacobellis, at 5'9, 170lbs was one of the premier point producers last season with the Cowichan Valley Capitals, posting 13 goals and 40 points while securing a scholarship to the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

SilverBacks GM Troy Mick has improved his clubs depth while getting younger and adding some much needed scoring punch. He is extremely pleased with the two players joining his club.

"Alex is a skilled player with a great offensive upside that will fit nicely into the youthful core we're assembling. He proved himself last season in our league by cracking that great Vees lineup and we can't wait for him to become a SilverBack. In Steven we're getting a proven scorer and a player, who was put up great numbers at every level. He's fast, he's smart and he's going to look great in black and white."

At the same time, the 'Backs are wishing the best to an important member of the team in Sean Flanagan, Mick says it's tough to see him go.

"Sean was a key contributor to our club this season; he wasn't just a player for us but an Assistant Captain as well.  We are very pleased with the deal we've made and it provides Sean with an excellent opportunity to excel before he moves on to the NCAA next season.”

The 'Backs want to wish all the best to Sean in Penticton with the Vees organization while welcoming Alex and Steven to the family. We're sure Friday's game in Penticton will have even more fire and energy than usual.

Here's the release from the Vees website:

The Penticton Vees Hockey Club has acquired defenseman Sean Flanagan (92) (Minnesota-Mankato ’13) and future considerations from the Salmon Arm Silverbacks in a multi-team trade. As part of the trade, the Vees send defenseman Noah Henry (94) to Powell River and forward Alex Jewell (94) to Salmon Arm.

The Vees traded Henry to Powell River for the rights of forward Steven Iacobellis (93), and then packed the rights to Iacobellis and Alex Jewell to Salmon Arm for defenseman Sean Flanagan and future considerations.

Vees Head Coach & GM Fred Harbinson says adding Flanagan fills a void on the blue-line, “In the last couple of weeks it came apparent we needed to add a veteran to our back-end. Flanagan, with his experience, is the player we feel satisfies our need. In saying that, we had to give up two young and talented players which is never easy to do.”

Flanagan, 20, was in his second season with the Silverbacks, where he had three goals and eight points in 20 games. The rear-guard has 11 goals and 39 points in two seasons with the Silverbacks. Prior to Salmon Arm, Flanagan played two seasons for his hometown Kindersley Klippers of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, compiling 42 points in 108 games. Flanagan was also a member Team Canada West at the 2010 World Junior ‘A’ Challenge in Penticton, appearing in all five games for Team Canada West, which finished fourth.

Noah Henry was in his first season with the Vees, appearing in 20 games and collecting four assists along the way. Prior to Penticton, Henry spent the past two seasons at the prestigious Shattuck-St. Mary’s Prep School in Minnesota, where he won the 2012 US National U-18 Championship in Buffalo, New York.  Alex Jewell was in his first full season with the Vees, playing in 19 of the Vees 20 games, where he tallied two goals and seven points. The 18 year-old appeared in 10 games with the Vees last season as an Affiliate Player, scoring once and finishing with five points. The Clearwater product will join former teammates Evan Anderson and Mitch Ferguson in Salmon Arm.

The moves leave the Vees with 12 forwards and seven defencemen; one under the league maximum 22 player roster. The entire Vees organization thanks both Noah and Alex for their contributions with the Vees and wish them the best of luck in their future hockey endeavors in Powell River and Salmon Arm respectively.

Flanagan will be in the line-up Wednesday night when the Vees make a trip to Merritt to face the Centennials, and will wear number 65.

Here's the release from the Kings website:

The Powell River Kings have acquired 18-year old defenceman Noah Henry from the Penticton Vees in exchange for forward Steven Iacobellis.

Coach and GM Kent Lewis says, “We are happy to be adding a quality defence man. We feel that Noah can come in and be a contributor right away with our special teams, most notably our power play.”

Noah Henry, hailing from Medina, Washington, started his season with the Penticton Vees where he played 20 games and earned 4 points. Prior to his time in Penticton, Henry played defence for Shattuck’s St.Mary’s Under-16 and Midget Prep teams.

The Kings welcome Noah to the team and look forward to having him hit the ice with the rest of the team later this week.